Disc III [DVD] [tour edition bonus]
+ Making Of Imaginaerum
+ Storytime [video]

Additional info
Tour edition released on April 11, 2012

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Seventh album Imaginaerum is the band's second with new singer Anette, and comes with the added twist of an accompanying feature-length film next year. Nightwish who have always been at the forefront of symphonic metal, provide this latest addition to the catalogue with good intentions. Although presented as a stand-alone album, it perhaps pushes the line between creative indulgence and focused musicianship too far.

Read more ››
published 01.12.2011 | Comments (86)

Found in 69 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 7

Comments: 191   Visited by: 2225 users
02.12.2011 - 14:33
Yavanna

Written by Metal_4Ever on 02.12.2011 at 13:07

Written by Epidemic'67 on 02.12.2011 at 13:05

Written by Metal_4Ever on 30.11.2011 at 18:25

Listening, i'm so exciting.. XD

Listened, Im so disapionted...

Me too..

+ 1
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
02.12.2011 - 15:05
Rating: 8
Enissa

Written by Unhealer on 01.12.2011 at 19:41

When "Song Of Myself" reads "the grass under my bare feet"... does anybody else instantly think "The Elvenpaaaath!"?

Didn't notice until you said, cooool!!!
02.12.2011 - 15:40
beyondtehdarksun

Noo... I can't get Storytime out of my head
Overall not impressed though.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
02.12.2011 - 16:54
moe5512

A good album indeed, but it gets quite boring after a while, the first half is awesome but after that i lost interest. Scaretale is my absolute favorite!
02.12.2011 - 17:44
Rating: 10
Slyfang

Their best album since Oceanborn. loving the variety of styles
02.12.2011 - 19:23
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I like this album's theatrical approach and the experimentation almost makes the band sound like DSO on some tracks, which is not a bad thing. Annette's voice sounds awesome on many songs and her accent is much better than on DPP, that's a second good point for this album. But, yes some parts are booooring and the fact that I can't imagine Tarja's (I'm no obsessed fanboy of hers, but she IS an essential element of the band's history) voice in any corner of an album like that makes me think "is this the same band"?
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
02.12.2011 - 19:58
Illwill

Dark Passion Play was refreshing to me after so much Tarja inducted dramatics. This one...I don't know, probably boring is the word, I like Anette's voice but I don't think she's the perfect fit for this band, she would excel on pop songs. And Tuomas, I think he ran dry on ideas, what's supposed to be new, it's forced and the rest, same riffs, same drums, same approach. Kind of disappointed, I'll try listening more but I doubt will grow. I won't even rate it because I don't like the mark I would put here.
02.12.2011 - 21:04
SyariefBajaber

The best album[glow=red,2][/glow]
02.12.2011 - 21:13
beyondtehdarksun

Written by MétalNoir on 02.12.2011 at 19:23
Annette's voice sounds awesome on many songs and her accent is much better than on DPP, that's a second good point for this album. But, yes some parts are booooring [..]

----
03.12.2011 - 01:14
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 02.12.2011 at 21:13

Written by MétalNoir on 02.12.2011 at 19:23
Annette's voice sounds awesome on many songs and her accent is much better than on DPP, that's a second good point for this album. But, yes some parts are booooring [..]

I guess you find yourself very smart, eh? Your arguments are extremely solid indeed...
----
03.12.2011 - 11:01
Rating: 9
renai

Very much like this album. Annette's vocal , when she goes wild, remind me of Bellatrix LeStrange.....
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
03.12.2011 - 11:35
Theberzerker

I like this album anyway.
Ghost River shows power, and SOM is my favorite song.
03.12.2011 - 15:42
PocketMetal

Surprise ! I really enjoyed this album , I think it's much better than Dark Passion Play .
my score would be something like 8.5 , it's the first time I enjoy a NW album form start to finish .

thumbs up to them .
04.12.2011 - 22:22
Rating: 10
ScottyM

At first listen (didn't complete the entire album at first) I was quick to boredom. I went and put on something else, and figured I'd do the sensible thing and give it a listen when I'm more into it. After coming back the next day, I realized that the album is actually very well written. It's very dark, artistic, and has many different styles to it. I think the great part about the album is that Tuomas finally figured out how to depart from the previous musical style of Nightwish with an opera singer, and adapt his writing to better fit Annette's style, and he did a phenomenal job doing that without ditching the previous musical style of Nightwish. With Dark Passion Play, it's almost like he couldn't quite adapt just enough with Annette, and many songs sounded like they could have used a more operatic singer for them; I don't get that feeling with this album. I'd be hard pressed to say it's their best with so many albums released, but it's definitely up their on their achievements.
05.12.2011 - 20:03
Casualcitizen

Finally...nightwish got over parting with Tarja and produced an album which doesnt lack her voice.
I love this album, simply because it doesnt belong to any music genre "box"
Every song is different and almost all of them a masterpiece as well...
I couldnt be more satisfied but I also understand why some people dont like the album...
If you like just one genre ( metal ) and/or dont like jazz/folk/classical/soundtrack music at
least a bit then youll probably sometimes find Imaginaerum boring...but then i always liked nightwish more for the symphonic rather than for the metal part and i like all the other genres mentioned in the album as well...so for me its a extremely welecomed album and Im sure I will be listening to it over and over...
Ps: scaretale and the crow the owl and the dove are just breathtaking
05.12.2011 - 23:18
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Slowly growing on me... I even had courage enough to rate "I Want my Tears Back" and "Scaretale" a sweet lil' 5-stars on my iPod today. The second half of the album is still shitty enough so far, though.
----
06.12.2011 - 00:52
Pelcu

In my opinion music is good... But I miss Tarja vocal with power and that specific opera 'accent'. Annete's vocal sounds like mouse's squeal or sorrow's chirps (sorry Anette) in comparision to Tarija's power. This is far too weak vocal for that type of music. And even Anette sing very nice than sometimes it sounds like Abba or other pop bands Nightwish need ROCK vocalist. And everything be good again
----
Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
07.12.2011 - 04:04
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Tuomas likes lil' boys.
----
07.12.2011 - 05:39
Sepulnation

Great album...
----
fuck shit up!
07.12.2011 - 10:28
beyondtehdarksun

Written by MétalNoir on 03.12.2011 at 01:14
I guess you find yourself very smart, eh? Your arguments are extremely solid indeed...

Actually I was just quoting another thread, but I think it should be regarded as an essential wisdom

BTW the album is in no way bad. I was missing the typical Nightwish songs, but that might just be what makes it stand out from their discography. Guess they're incapable of making a bad album, ever.
----
07.12.2011 - 18:50
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Fantastic !! and lots film score sounds in many tracks in the album. Interesting new style of Jazz in Slow, Love, Slow where Anette's voice fits very well. The only song I didn't like was The Crow, Owl and the Dove, which felt very poppy and boring. Just as good as Dark Passion Play. ............ and its Disney Metal
07.12.2011 - 21:58
Rating: 5
Sojgenske

Yeah... maybe Nightwish wants to get children into metal after all. Well, in that case, "Imaginaerum" is a masterpiece.
But for me, it doesn't do it...
I mean "Dark Passion Play" was already average, but had at least some good stuff like "The Poet...", "Cadence...", "Eva" and "Last of the wilds".
Here, I haven't noticed anything special... maybe I will after a while, who knows.
08.12.2011 - 07:02
Jair Crawford

For those of you who found the album disappointing, I strongly encourage you to listen to the album again, at least two more times. I was slightly disappointed on my first listen, unsure on my second listen, and on the third listen, I began to enjoy it more. And on each listen after that I enjoyed it more and more. This album has a lot of repetition in the riffs and the like, it's true. But you need to really 'feel' the music with this album, not think about the technicalities. They kept the riffs simple and focused more on the atmosphere with this one. This album is one that grows on you on each listen. The surprises can't all be uncovered in one listening. This is not Nightwish's height of technical virtuosity, yet, that isn't what this album is about. This album is about creating an atmosphere. Engage yourself in that atmosphere when you listen. Let the music take you on a journey, instead of straining/yearning for technical virtuosity. Only then will you be able to truly experience the Imaginaerum.

After many listens, I'd rate this album a 9/10. Better than Dark Passion Play for sure. I would say Dark Passion Play's most epic moment (The Poet And The Pendulum) is more epic than the most epic moments of Imaginaerum. HOWEVER, I would also say that the weakest moments of Dark Passion Play are much weaker than the weakest moments of Imaginaerum. Imaginaerum is a much more balanced album, with less filler material than Dark Passion Play, imo. Also, I feel like this album has more throwbacks to the older style of Nightwish than Dark Passion Play did. In fact I would go so far as to say that Imaginaerum as a whole sounds more like Nightwish than Dark Passion Play.

This is truly a great Nightwish album. Not the best Nightwish album though. That goes to Wishmaster, imo.
08.12.2011 - 07:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Anyone else get tired of having other people tell you to listen to an album more times than you want to because it took them more listens to "get it" than it took you?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.12.2011 - 07:11
Jair Crawford

It's only a recommendation. lol I'm not telling you to do anything you don't want to do.
08.12.2011 - 07:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
No worries, it just seems to be a recurrent theme with albums that aren't doing so well in the overall rating category. "For those of you who don't like it, listen to it again." It's a valid point sometimes, because some albums deserve another chance, but melodic stuff like this is easy to digest in a single listen.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.12.2011 - 07:18
Jair Crawford

Good point. Although I'd argue that this is not so much about melody as it is about overall atmosphere, which is something new for Nightwish.
08.12.2011 - 07:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Hm. I still haven't listened to it (I've only ever really liked one Nightwish album and even then I didn't think it was special) but I'll probably check out a few songs on Youtube half-heartedly at some point.
----
08.12.2011 - 07:32
Jair Crawford

Best moments of the album, imo are Taikatalvi, Scaretale, Last Ride Of The Day, and the first two parts of Song Of Myself; From A Dusty Bookshelf, and All That Great Heart Lying Still.

Those are the songs I would check out. But then again you'll hear differently depending on who you ask. lol

So which Nightwish album is the one that you most enjoyed?
08.12.2011 - 07:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ironically it's the one most Nightwish fans seem to dislike: Once.
----

Hits total: 71502 | This month: 49