Japan - August 11th
Brazil - August 17th
Europe - September 24th
Russia - September 29th
North America - October 5th

Guest review by
R Lewis
Rating:
I'm afraid this won't help me winning much sympathy, but I have to be honest: I never really liked Angra. And that always seemed strange to me, because they seem to represent one of the biggest worldwide expressions of power metal. When I listened to the album which should be, according to the ratings, their masterpiece, Temple Of Shadows, my expectations were sky-high. But, despite repeated listens, I couldn't go further than an unexpected 6. I didn't find anything particularly bad, I just couldn't notice anything better than average. Now, you can freely hate me.

Read more ››
published 14.01.2013 | Comments (10)

Found in 7 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 587 users
09.04.2010 - 21:12
JÄY
Metal slave
Self-producing (aka will be delayed)
but i dont care! great albums take time...
02.05.2010 - 18:35
LeoBozzano
Angra is the best! Brazil Heavy metal!!!
----
"The evil that man do lives on."
29.06.2010 - 19:00
x-avier
Their rebirth world tour album is just out of this world. One band I need to see LIVE!!!
09.07.2010 - 17:59
Rating: 6
SexyCat_1113
So hopeful album£¡
20.07.2010 - 19:28
x-avier
The new song is excellent!
23.07.2010 - 18:39
Rating: 4
EmeraldSword
Still unsure after hearing the single "Arising Thunder" but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's like "Temple of Shadows" with the Aqua theme it has going about Shakespeare's "Tempest" I'm really stoked about this one... late September can't come soon enough.
27.07.2010 - 02:02
Rating: 7
Out in Japan August 11st, so early.
16.08.2010 - 18:02
I just got my Japanese version cd. nothing sounds like Arising Thunder on this album. that song might probably be the only Power Metal song, others are much more Prog. definitely more prog then ever before. pretty cool album, it'll grow on u!
17.08.2010 - 01:06
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Kib Thanyarath on 16.08.2010 at 18:02

I just got my Japanese version cd. nothing sounds like Arising Thunder on this album. that song might probably be the only Power Metal song, others are much more Prog. definitely more prog then ever before. pretty cool album, it'll grow on u!

A agree...quite proggy. very mellow... but whats with bands releasing a song early that doesnt reflect the rest of the album AT ALL?
17.08.2010 - 07:03
XD i feel the same.
19.08.2010 - 20:44
BlankFile
I heard the album about 6 or 7 times by now, the Japanease version. And all i can say is "Aqua" is one of the best releases of the decade in Power/Progressive Metal and the best of 2010 by far. I agree with the users that say Arising Thunder is a bit deceiving, when compared to the rest of the songs of the album. But the whole album is spectacular, creative and sentimental.
23.08.2010 - 20:08
Rating: 10
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Really great album, growing on me steadily! great work Angra!
24.08.2010 - 01:01
x-avier
GREAT WORK ANGRA!! a lot better than aurora conserguos and growing on me as temple of shadows did. Far more prog and I dont know everything the riffs the melodies the drums everything is pretty dam cool
24.08.2010 - 05:07
warrior_of_ice
Temple of Shadows is still their best work IMO. Havent listened to this one enough to pass judgement yet
28.08.2010 - 01:11
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
The middle part of the album is very strong, but the beginning is a bit cheesy and the last bit is just not engaging enough (I wandered off)
----
loves 小巫
10.09.2010 - 15:42
Written by Ag Fox on 28.08.2010 at 01:11

The middle part of the album is very strong, but the beginning is a bit cheesy and the last bit is just not engaging enough (I wandered off)

Agree. After the middle part it just become better and better, especially the last part.
13.09.2010 - 03:50
Rating: 5
farfaramir
Mediocre.
19.09.2010 - 07:45
Rating: 9
MeTalRea|istiK
The best progpower band in the world!!come to wacken plz!!i love to see u guys live!!this album is saviour of angra legacy..the right word to describe it..ANGRA IS COME BACK..
19.09.2010 - 12:02
Tursti
I wwwwant this album.
25.09.2010 - 00:51
Rating: 4
EmeraldSword
Written by warrior_of_ice on 24.08.2010 at 05:07

Temple of Shadows is still their best work IMO. Havent listened to this one enough to pass judgement yet

Agreed. I was kinda let down by this one. I was keen on seeing a similar release to Temple of Shadows after they announced the "Tempest" concept theme for the album. Lead singer didn't seem into it as much as previous work in Angra. I'm keeping my spirits high for the upcoming Almah now.
26.09.2010 - 03:33
Dino
This album is great!!!
29.09.2010 - 18:25
opeth771
This is by far their worst album. Angra will never be the same without Aquiles!
08.10.2010 - 15:33
Rating: 8
Kalmari
Amazing album, did take a couple of spins though. Best songs: The Rage Of The Waters, Spirit Of The Air, Hollow
19.10.2010 - 06:23
renai
Quite a nice albums, one of the best in 2010 for sure.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
03.11.2010 - 23:21
Rating: 6
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Kib Thanyarath on 16.08.2010 at 18:02

Like... Holy Land kinda prog? o_o
17.11.2010 - 09:49
ApolloFC
I like most of this new album..almost tempted to say all of it.
28.11.2010 - 22:05
Kalmari
I'm suprised it got 7,6 when aurora got 8 which I think doesn't come even close this album.
08.12.2010 - 19:39
farfaramir
Written by Kalmari on 28.11.2010 at 22:05

I'm suprised it got 7,6 when aurora got 8 which I think doesn't come even close this album.

That's a matter of opinion. In fact, (IMO) it must be the worst album in Angra history.
08.12.2010 - 22:00
Kalmari
Written by farfaramir on 08.12.2010 at 19:39

That's a matter of opinion. In fact, (IMO) it must be the worst album in Angra history.

Yeah, but I'm wandering why do you guys think it's the worst?
IMO every song has different colors and the change from parts to another ones are made very smoothly, the compositions are amazing! (You can have beautiful melodies and heavy parts in the same songs, for example Hollow) Also the concept is great, and the lyrics are well made about The Tempest. The only thing that keeps me from giving a 10 is that the production of drums and vocals isn't that great.

Aurora Consurgens however sounded more technical and boring. There was a almost routine like feeling of composing songs, just gluing parts together.
08.12.2010 - 22:42
farfaramir
Written by Kalmari on 08.12.2010 at 22:00

Written by farfaramir on 08.12.2010 at 19:39

Yeah, but I'm wandering why do you guys think it's the worst?
IMO every song has different colors and the change from parts to another ones are made very smoothly, the compositions are amazing! (You can have beautiful melodies and heavy parts in the same songs, for example Hollow) Also the concept is great, and the lyrics are well made about The Tempest. The only thing that keeps me from giving a 10 is that the production of drums and vocals isn't that great.

Aurora Consurgens however sounded more technical and boring. There was a almost routine like feeling of composing songs, just gluing parts together.

Well, the production is bad for starting :/... I don't have a good english to explain it, but there is a problem with the sound of the guitars and the drums. It totally destroyed the album for me.
But generally, the production shouldn't be a factor, so there is another problem with the melodies. There is not a single memorable melody I can remember, specially if we talk about "Arasing Thunder"(that was supposed to be one of their best). The best song in the album is "Lust for life", good song BTW, but it's not enough.
And others instruments (like strings, or Piano) doesn't fit in the composition like in others albums (Like in Temple of Shadows), that was one of the biggest goals in all angra albums but in this one seems to fail. Maybe it has something to do with the production.
It's not a horrible album, but as Angra is an excellent band, you demand more for them.
About the Lyrics and the concept, is very well done (point for this album), not as good as in temple of shadow, but good anyway.

The other thing is that the last song in the album doesn't have energy (not only the last, but all of them).
About Aurora Consurgens, I don't know, it had a lot of catchy melodies and good drumming, it's not an excelent album either but it still have a lot of Angra on it. Not like this one.

I think it has something to do with the fact you expect a lot from this band, and two "Not that good albums" generally affects the last one more in its rating that the first mediocre album. (Like in Helloween, "Pink Bubbles go Ape" has a better rating than "Chamaleon" even when in my opinion, both are equally terrible XD).

Hits total: 17490 | This month: 15