06. Cat Food
07. The Devil's Triangle
    1 - Merday Morn
    2 - Hand Of Sceiron
    3 - Garden Of Worm
08. Peace - An End
09. Cat food [single version] [30th Anniversary Edition bonus]
10. Groon [30th Anniversary Edition bonus]

In the Wake of Poseidon is King Crimson's second album, and would be considered by many to be ground breaking. That would be the case if it wasn't so similar to their debut album In the Court of the Crimson King. Sure the production is cleaner, and there is an even bigger mellotron presence but that's where the differences end.

"Pictures of a City" is a slower, less dissonant "21st Century Schizoid Man". The three "Peace" songs and especially "Cadence and Cascade" share way too many structural elements to "I Talk to the Wind" ranging from the flute passages to the vocal lines. In The Wake of Poseidon's title track resembles "Epitaph" when it comes to creating a larger than life symphonic prog epic. "The Devil's Triangle" meanders and jams just like "Moonchild", except this time without being needlessly tedious, while at the same time having the grand scale of In The Court of the Crimson's King's title track with its heavy use of mellotron. The end of "The Devil's Triangle" even incorporates "In the Court of the Crimson King"'s iconic chorus at the end of the song swirled with "The Devil Triangle"'s own chaotic melodies.
The only truly unique song on this album is "Cat Food", a swinging, jazzy arrangement with the unique lyrical matter of just how awful fast food tastes.

Despite how negatively I depict In the Wake of Poseidon, it is not a bad album. In fact, if someone was to listen to this album before listening to In the Court of the Crimson King, they may even like it better because of the improved production, stronger vocals, and there is nothing as tedious or overindulgent as "Moonchild". However whenever I listen to it, all can think of is that King Crimson were treading water and sticking to what worked the last time around. In The Court of the Crimson King worked because it was so radically different to everything else at the time, establishing the blueprint for what became progressive rock. In the Wake of Poseidon ignores this element of progressing, instead settling on predictability making it an odd, but still enjoyable mark in the band's discography.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Harlequin Devon | 11.04.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 107 users
11.04.2010 - 00:53
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Yep, Cat Food is the best. I do enjoy this album no matter how similar it may be to Court, but all the negative points you present are true (and backed up with specificity). Very nice review!
11.04.2010 - 01:01
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Why only 4 for originality? i don't get this...
11.04.2010 - 01:57
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 11.04.2010 at 01:01

Quote:
In The Court of the Crimson King worked because it was so radically different to everything else at the time, establishing the blueprint for what became progressive rock. In the Wake of Poseidon ignores this element of progressing, instead settling on predictability

I think he meant that many parts were rehashed from the first album, he gives a few specific examples. Some I didn't even notice...
11.04.2010 - 02:45
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 11.04.2010 at 01:57

Written by Guest on 11.04.2010 at 01:01

Quote:
In The Court of the Crimson King worked because it was so radically different to everything else at the time, establishing the blueprint for what became progressive rock. In the Wake of Poseidon ignores this element of progressing, instead settling on predictability

I think he meant that many parts were rehashed from the first album, he gives a few specific examples. Some I didn't even notice...

so just because they did not progress for that moment? Greg Lake was on his way out being in ELP working on their first recordings but still stuck with Fripp during the recording of ITWOP. It's still an original album, nobody sounded like KC those days, they were original, I disagree with that 4 for originality.
11.04.2010 - 04:35
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 11.04.2010 at 02:45

nobody sounded like KC those days, they were original, I disagree with that 4 for originality.

But if they sounded like themselves on a previous album (that whole second paragraph gives specific examples to this), does that mean they were doing something original on THIS album? Original for the time period, yes. DEFINITELY yes. But as far as progressing musically from where they were an album ago, no. I really like this perspective, I love King Crimson, but the re-inventive nature of their music didn't happen until Lizard, Larks..., Red, and Discipline. Those four albums show MAJOR steps in originality. I'm not saying In The Wake... is a bad album. It is phenomenal. But I can agree with the sentiment (after further enlightened listening) that many parts were rehashed from their prior effort.
11.04.2010 - 15:20
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I undestand the reviewer's point of view, I just disagree, 4 for originality is really low IMO; I know a lot of people who find this album weak because it sounds a lot like KC's amazing debut. I still think the album is great, despite this. If they didn't already have problems by the second album, maybe they would have experimented more as they did after that.
18.03.2011 - 14:36
Rating: 6
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
In The Wake Of Poseidon the song is great!
04.08.2011 - 22:49
Rating: 7
Assassiyoun

It can sound like In the Court of the Crimson King sometimes but I don't think it is that apparent. The Devil's Triangle is too long for nothing and quite boring and Cat Food is one of the worst song I have ever heard in my life, it is SO annoying, I cannot stand it but other than that it can be enjoyable at times. I give it a 7.
----
"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein." - Friedrich Nietzsche
05.08.2011 - 03:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Assassiyoun on 04.08.2011 at 22:49

It can sound like In the Court of the Crimson King sometimes but I don't think it is that apparent. The Devil's Triangle is too long for nothing and quite boring and Cat Food is one of the worst song I have ever heard in my life, it is SO annoying, I cannot stand it but other than that it can be enjoyable at times. I give it a 7.

If Cat Food is one of the worst songs you have ever heard, you have been very lucky
18.03.2016 - 03:22
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Assassiyoun on 05.08.2011 at 06:56

When I hear this song I just want to smash everything around me...in a bad way. It is just so damn ANNOYING. I've been able to stand gangsta rap, candy pop and even A7X at times but this song just infuriates the shit out of me. I really don't know why...I was aghast when I saw on Last.FM that it is the most listened song on this album...Listening to that song repeatedly and I guarantee that I become a serial killer. Cat Food, Cat Food, Cat Food...AGAIN!!!...aaarrrgGGHH!!!... must...KILLLLLL!!!!

No words.

Hits total: 5471 | This month: 7