Metal Storm logo
Best traditional metal voice

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 09.08.2006 - 14:37
I vote for udo.the power he puts in his vocals is so uplifting(head over heels for example) and he's got some range there,i tells ya!
and don't forget to give an argument

Poll

which has the best voice?

Bruce Dickinson
Dio
Rob Halford
James Hetfield
other(specify)
Ozzy
Lemmy Kilmister
Dave Mustaine
Udo dirkschneider

Total votes: 323
03.12.2008 - 16:58
-Soulreaper-
Had to go with Bruce Bruce. To me he is just one of the best vocalists to ever grace this planet. And Ozzy would have to come at a close second.
07.02.2009 - 08:45
IronBlackZepp
Bruce Dickinson!!!
07.02.2009 - 13:45
ForeverDarkWoods
Had to go with other. There were neither Eric Adams (Manowar) or Mark Shelton (Manilla Road) as options to vote for.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
18.02.2009 - 05:51
SchenkersGirl
Account deleted
Udo Dirkschneider .......His voice - a lullaby for tortured souls
18.02.2009 - 12:13
Yossarian
Hi.

Hard choice between Bruce, Halford and Dio from the list.
However I will vote for another: Geoff Tate from Queensryche.
Although their music nowadays could be considered more rock than metal, they were a metal band once and Geoff performance was astonishing. Listen Queen of the Reich from their debut EP or Sister Mary Suite from Operation Mindcrime.
29.04.2009 - 15:50
behemoth_poland
Account deleted
I love Bruce Dickinson's vocals!
01.05.2009 - 09:53
I gave my vote to Halford.. Then I saw "other" box... King Diamond. He´s the best!
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
02.05.2009 - 12:01
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Bruce Dickinson... Listen to him sing is all I have to say to that. Not only that but with the other singers listed he could probably sing most of their songs also and they would sound amazing. (Only thing I can think Bruce would have trouble with is mimicing Halford's scream on Screaming for Vengance & on Painkiller.)
----
03.05.2009 - 03:59
MassacreofWords
Shakespearian
I'm going to have to go with Lemmy on this one. Hetfield and Mustaine kinda went with that general sound that Lemmy had to begin with and I'm not that big into the Operatic stuff that Dickinson does. I would have to say that my second choice would have gone to Halford.
----
HORROR METAL
04.05.2009 - 02:08
His Eminence
Account deleted
I voted for Dio. His vocals are brilliant and it sounds very natural--not forced.
04.05.2009 - 04:25
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Are we considering Geoff Tate for this poll? If so, Mr. Tate wipes the floor with all the vocalists on this list.
----
(space for rent)
04.05.2009 - 08:41
Hrothdane
This is a hard one for me...

Bruce Dickinson has a great voice and has been immensely influential, but most influential doesn't mean best.

I enjoy Halford's singing, especially the falsetto he uses so much in Painkiller (the album), but he can be rather hit-or-miss.

Dio has great power in his voice, and has incredible talent. True, he ain't the best songwriter ever, but when it comes down to pure skill and talent, he wins. So I guess I'll vote for him.

The rest on this list I'm rather ambivalent about, except James Hetfield whose voice I find occasionally incredibly annoying. Udo Dirkschneider does win for the coolest name though
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
06.05.2009 - 04:01
soadbyob
Account deleted
Ozzy! There is no other choice he created everything- all metal vocals come from Ozzy- he is freakin god!
10.07.2009 - 09:03
gwarscumdog
Such hard choices but Rob because of his screaming vocals that he holds for a long time. He is also still doing that what other guy is there is at his age and still pulls the long screams f metal Dave never did. Dio had the voice but he never really brought it to the speed of Judas Priest.
10.07.2009 - 15:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Bruce!!

maybe because I like his personality the best too. although i could listen to a ronnie james dio interview for hours - he speaks so well
----
rekt
16.07.2009 - 17:46
Jan Destiny
Hard question. Voted for Duckinson. maybe he is the best...
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
19.08.2009 - 01:11
Razorback
I tried but i can't choose between Bruce and James,both are amazing vocalist and very inteligent and unique.Guys who always impress me again and again,thay will never become boring.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
19.08.2009 - 01:24
DayFly
The entire US power metal scene was left out and they have the technically most capable vocalists of any subgenre of metal. I mean come on look at Geoff Tate, Carl Albert, James Rivera, Midnight (probably the best of the entire bunch), Lizzy Borden, Mike Howe, Eric Adams, Ray Alder, John Arch and it would take ages to list the rest.

That anyone could say with a straight face that Ozzy Osbourne or Dave Mustaine are good singers seems kind of incomprehensible to me.
01.09.2009 - 03:24
Kratos
Joey Belladonna has an amazing voice
01.09.2009 - 16:52
Hanyuchan
Rob Halford, you can't deny the Rob Halford scream.
04.09.2009 - 16:10
arwestromen
For me it's bruce.he's the man when it comes to singin and and how meny singers can say that they have an original scream
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
07.09.2009 - 08:34
Ankläger
If Thin Lizzy is metal, then I'll say Phil Lynott. I just love how he sounds. Can't really tell you why.
Ian Gillan had an amazing voice c. 1972. Just listen to him scream on Space Truckin'. It has, however, since left him, and he sounds like every other 70's rocker trying to sing these days.
11.09.2009 - 02:59
Shogun
I have to go with Bruce. Such a hard decision between Him and Rob. Dio is third.
----
U.S.A. for Satan!
11.09.2009 - 08:47
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
King diamond is the fucking best !! others are just posers !!
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
28.10.2009 - 08:04
Kingslayer76
Bruce Dickinson. But my favorite is Warrel Dane and then Bruce then Dio.
----
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."--Thomas Jefferson
28.10.2009 - 08:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Has to be Rob Halford. Even though Dio is a VERY close second. Both very different voices, but both amazingly perfect for classic metal.

For more modern singers singing in the traditional way, then it's Jorn Lande, Warrel Dane, and Russell Allen. Amazing voices, I love them!

Written by Kratos on 01.09.2009 at 03:24

For sure! What twats they were for firing him again for "being old-fashioned"!
29.10.2009 - 03:49
Kratos
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.10.2009 at 08:37

Has to be Rob Halford. Even though Dio is a VERY close second. Both very different voices, but both amazingly perfect for classic metal.

For more modern singers singing in the traditional way, then it's Jorn Lande, Warrel Dane, and Russell Allen. Amazing voices, I love them!

Written by Kratos on 01.09.2009 at 03:24

For sure! What twats they were for firing him again for "being old-fashioned"!

Something like that and I think Scott also said that he was only in Anthrax for the $$$
30.10.2009 - 01:19
Bruce Dickinson closely followed by Rob Halford.
03.11.2009 - 02:27
Warlock84
I'm going out on a limb and saying Matt Barlow from Iced Earth, then Rob Halford.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
03.11.2009 - 02:38
Zuzuz0r
No Geoff Tate or Matt Barlow?
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.