04. End Resolve
05. Hellmonk
06. This House Is Like Any Other World
07. Hillary
08. Ghost
09. Monks
10. 1, 2, 3

Disc II
01. The Echo Of Something Lovely [Toby Driver/Ted Parsons/Colin Marston Remix version]
02. 1, 2, 3 [James Plotkin Remix version]
03. The Echo Of Something Lovely [Jesu Remix version]
04. Sleds [loveliescrushing Remix version]
05. Ghost [Birchville Cat Motel Remix version]
06. Sleds [Blut Aus Nord Remix version]
07. The Echo Of Something Lovely [James Plotkin Remix version]
08. Sleds [Ted Scarlett Remix version]
09. The Echo Of Something Lovely [lovesliescrushing Remix version]

Pyramids. Wow. Let me start by saying that Pyramids, the debut album of the highly elusive Pyramids, is something spectacular. Wait, err, actually... elusive?... after a quick bit of background research it seems everybody and their mom knew about the band already, except me. Well fuck me sideways, under what rock have I been hiding for god's sake?!

Pyramids exists solely to worship that which is called 'texture' in the world of music. They chose texture as the be-all and end-all and it shows. Pyramids consists of layers upon layers upon layers... you catch my drift. Their aim was to create noise/sound/layers so dense that it becomes soothing, as stated in an interview. And it works. Although I'd say only roughly half of the album is soothing. The other half, not so much. Words that do come to mind are harrowing, paranoid and complete out-of-your-mind insanity. Sounds good, huh?

If you want to get an idea of the music, imagine Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God. Hollow it out. Fill the casket with:

- Jesu's drugged-out, fuzzed-out drones,
- unearthly clean vocals, ethereal and completely entranced (reminiscent of a less frightened male version of the vocals on The Angelic Process's Weighing Souls With Sand),
- high-speed drums, alternately blasting and held-back, stagnating, creating a very off-putting and chaotic effect,
- high-pitched shrieks mixed deeply into the mix, often, especially during the first playthroughs, nearly inaudible (reminiscent of Darkspace's III),
- occasional electronic pulses, referencing a mental electrical breakdown,
- everything else you can find that'll heighten the sonic density.

Oh, and don't actually try this at home.

I feel slightly bad for the ridiculous amount of name-dropping I just did, but it gets my point across best. Remember that there's no such thing as a 'song' to be found here, no matter how hard you try. All the elements I described are part of a bigger whole, a massive wall, a drone or layer or, if you will, a sonic texture of formidable heights. It swirls, whirls and rages. They juxtapose beauty with ugliness, which is hardly anything new of course, but the way Pyramids does it certainly is, to my ears at least.

I could go on forever on each individual detail, but I'm not going to. No matter how lame it may sound, I'm going to say it anyway: this is something you have to hear for yourself, cause words will always fall short. Pyramids is an insane record, although it may not present itself as such as first. I can imagine it's very easy to shut yourself off from the record and shrug it off as 'boring' and 'too droney for it's own good', but I dare you to dive in.

Wholeheartedly recommended!

PS: The second discs contains remixes of their songs by various artists/bands, including but not limited to Jesu, James Plotkin (Khanate, Khlyst), Blut Aus Nord and Birchville Cat Motel. I won't reveal too much about this disc, but I'll say some of the remixes are highly interesting, to say the least.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 14.04.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 267 users
14.04.2010 - 18:37
TheBigRossowski
Sounds...elusive
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.04.2010 - 18:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hhahhaha How funny. I feel so stupid now.
You know.. There's an indie forum that is based on a webcomic I use to visit. And on the topic of "great artwork" I saw this one and I thought it was just some average indie stuff, I thought so because I already tried many things I've seen in that forum and must of them were very "meh" for me. That's why I never checked this band out... This was for like... months ago, probably November.

Listening to the myspace right now, Damn, how stupid a man can be. I'm going to buy it asap because the remix cd also seems interesting. Thank you for make me realize my error.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.04.2010 - 19:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I only know of this band by name. But it sounds extremely interesting. Will certainly have to check it out... SOON
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2010 - 20:00
Mikyz
O_O I can imagine how this will sound before even listening to it. This appears to be a unique and special release, + looking at the cover art it actually gives the impression of being an indie release, so i guess I'm going to give this a try.

Edit: Just gave the song Sleds a listen and it's breathtaking
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
14.04.2010 - 20:11
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Yay, thanks for reviewing this Lucas. Pyramids with Nadja was also one of my favorite releases of last year, and hopefully they can put out another full-length in the not-too-distant future.
14.04.2010 - 20:20
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by spirit_inblack on 14.04.2010 at 20:11

Yay, thanks for reviewing this Lucas. Pyramids with Nadja was also one of my favorite releases of last year, and hopefully they can put out another full-length in the not-too-distant future.

Yep. Ordered that one too. Should be interesting. Haven't heard anything on a new album, but I'd be interested in that as well obviously.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.04.2010 - 21:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This was easily one of the best albums of 08, never before had i encountered such a bewildering foray into textural experimentation. Any band that can successfully mix dreampop, shoegaze and black metal (and a bunch of other concepts) deserves recognition. I love how the Blut aus Nord "remix" is just Blut aus Nord playing their own style with virtually no regard to what the song sounded like before.

The collaboration with Nadja isn't in the same league as this but it's still ok all the same.

Nicely reviewed, it's a headcase of an album isn't it? The album art is also stunning.
15.04.2010 - 05:16
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Sounds really interesting, I'm not into this kind of stuff, but I've been checking some albums you reviewed recently and those always are really awesome material, so, I'll give it a try sooner or later. Nice review, got me interested in the band
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.04.2010 - 21:50
ylside
Staff
As much as the myspace songs i heard where nice. I really did not like the rest of the album at all. I was put off by the drums for some reason, imo they dont fit.
16.04.2010 - 23:27
Mikyz
Written by ylside on 16.04.2010 at 21:50

As much as the myspace songs i heard where nice. I really did not like the rest of the album at all. I was put off by the drums for some reason, imo they dont fit.

Got the same feeling, the drum machine isn't working out at all, the only thing it accomplishes is annoy the listener, so i just skip those songs, and stick to the songs that are in the vein of Sleds.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
28.08.2010 - 04:20
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Are there lyrics to be understood in there or is the guy la-la-la-ing?
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
14.12.2011 - 04:56
Slinky666
Account deleted
I saw the artwork and did not listen to this album - judging book by its cover.
14.12.2011 - 05:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.12.2011 at 04:56

I saw the artwork and did not listen to this album - judging book by its cover.

The album art is awesome beans though?
14.12.2011 - 05:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.12.2011 at 05:00
The album art is awesome beans though?

Ya I'm thinking, if I judge this by its cover, it's going to be fucking awesome.

Still haven't listened to Pyramids yet... Kind of like how I haven't listened to Murmururururrrrr (umlaut somewhere).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.12.2011 - 06:12
Slinky666
Account deleted
Pyramids with Nadja - that's better.
21.04.2012 - 23:01
Krankheit
Account deleted
Weird album, thats for sure. Let's hear what disc 2 brings.
01.09.2013 - 22:26
Rating: 6
mz
Another addition to "to be checked" list
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.05.2014 - 23:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 01.09.2013 at 22:26

Another addition to "to be checked" list

Have you?
09.05.2014 - 23:39
Rating: 6
mz
Written by Guest on 09.05.2014 at 23:37

Have you?

Just partially, because I think all of album was not on youtube and I could not manage to find proper download.
*Starts searching again*
Edit: I can now listen to it on bandcamp, the opportunity which I did not have previously. The next album in line would be this.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.05.2014 - 23:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 09.05.2014 at 23:39

Just partially, because I think all of album was not on youtube and I could not manage to find proper download.
*Starts searching again*

Album

Remix side

The remix side is great, mostly for the Blut aus Nord remix.
15.06.2014 - 03:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This album is so good.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.06.2014 - 06:06
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.06.2014 at 03:32

This album is so good.

Yeah no shit. God get with the times Tanner.
Seriously though I'm still obsessed with this album. I make sure to give it frequent spins
16.06.2014 - 06:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Alex F on 16.06.2014 at 06:06

Yeah no shit. God get with the times Tanner.
Seriously though I'm still obsessed with this album. I make sure to give it frequent spins

Not this first time I've listened you stupid slut. More like the 30th. I've been going back to great albums that I've "forgotten" and this was near the top.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.06.2014 - 15:44
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.06.2014 at 06:17

Not this first time I've listened you stupid slut. More like the 30th. I've been going back to great albums that I've "forgotten" and this was near the top.

Oh ok then nevermind <3 ilybb. This is definitely an album that deserves more praise and recognition than it gets. Also Pyramids really need to make another full length

Hits total: 7463 | This month: 13