Metal Storm logo
Type O Negative - Peter Steele Dead At 48 [UPDATE]

KNAC, Blabbermouth, The Gauntlet and many other sources claim that Peter Steele of the New York Gothic Metal outfit Type O Negative has passed away on Wednesday 14 April 2010 due to cardiac arrest.

Peter Steele, also known as frontman of the band Carnivore, has already died once as a publicity stunt back in 2005. Due to this, we are not yet going to believe in the rumors of his passing this time around. We'll keep you updated as we find out more.

If he's dead, that sucks. If not, fool me once...

UPDATED

Sadly, Peter Steele's death has now been confirmed to us by an SPV representative. Blabbermouth and even the band's official website also contain confirmation.

Peter Steele is dead at 48. His cause of death is not yet confirmed. There are a lot of fans of the band amongst Metal Storm staffers and users and all of us definitely feel devastated by Pete's untimely passing. You still had a few great albums in you, Peter. It is a shame we will never hear them.

UPDATE

Here's the official word from the band:

"It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to Dead Again released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We'd like to share our thoughts and those of Peter's family below. We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world."

Source: knac.com
Band profile: Type O Negative
Posted: 16.04.2010 by jupitreas

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 91   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 739 users
15.04.2010 - 10:41
DayFly
Sad news if it's true. If it ain't, someone should tell them this joke isn't funny.
15.04.2010 - 11:12
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by DayFly on 15.04.2010 at 10:41

Sad news if it's true. If it ain't, someone should tell them this joke isn't funny.

Agree. But if it turns up it's a joke again then fuck him and it would be really funny when he finally dies.
15.04.2010 - 11:34
Skøllgrim
Northern
Hope he ain't dead, I want to see another Type O.... record. Pulling this joke twice ain't funny.... hell this wasn't even funny the first time.
15.04.2010 - 12:43
RafaRata
Wow if it's true that sucks... not big fan of Type O Negtive but Carnivore is classic!
15.04.2010 - 12:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
RIP. Your man-boobs will live on forever.
15.04.2010 - 13:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
OMG I can not belive, if its true then its tragic, because its end of band sorry if Ozzy dies it wont be so tragic but this is TRAGEDY

CRY
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.04.2010 - 14:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
The boy who cried wolf.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.04.2010 - 14:18
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Three years late. Would've been fun if it had happened shortly after the release of his latest album.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.04.2010 - 14:32
Bleed4Metal
RIP Brother of Metal m/
15.04.2010 - 14:44
Prisoner
Account deleted
No way!!! I hope it be another joke even though this sucks second time!
15.04.2010 - 14:53
Urs Blank
It can't be!! Peter is one most charismatic frontman I've ever seen. It would be such a great loss for the Metal community
15.04.2010 - 15:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Calling attention from the highlights to an upcoming of a probable new album?
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.04.2010 - 15:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Really really sad (if it's true).
----
15.04.2010 - 15:38
soadbyob
Account deleted
RIP Pete Steele, your legacy will live on. To quote my favorite TON song, "Everything Dies"
15.04.2010 - 15:48
Antidote
It seems to be true unfortunately
15.04.2010 - 15:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138519

the keyboardist confirmed it. i'm also really skeptical, i know he has "died" once... guess he liked and wanted to act out the title of the Bond movie, "You Only Live Twice"
15.04.2010 - 16:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Wikipedia also confirms it...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.04.2010 - 16:17
BudDa
elite
Guess now he can really rest in peace..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
15.04.2010 - 16:18
soadbyob
Account deleted
Http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/pete-steele-rip-1962-2010/

CONFIRMED!
15.04.2010 - 16:33
Chidder
Http://www.typeonegative.net/index.php
"Please (...) expect statements from the band and family later today."
So it is probably true.
15.04.2010 - 16:34
gravity5x
Time to break out the Type O and pay my respects
15.04.2010 - 16:42
Derwood
One of my absolute favourite vocalists, even if the band's music has been hit and miss. I'll have to pull out my copy of Bloody Kisses today. "Loving you was like loving the dead..."
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.04.2010 - 17:07
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
I was just only starting to listen to them.

Peter you killing joke. Rust in peace. Wine with Bacchus green giant.

EDIT: After reading the bio, cause of death was a stomach related infection.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

15.04.2010 - 17:15
Asat0r
Saw them about 3 years ago. When they left for the encore the crowd, of course, started chating "YOU SUCK." Steele then came out and said "I heard you saying we suck. Well you guys suck! We get paid to suck, you suck for free!" RIP Peter
15.04.2010 - 17:30
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
R.I.P. Peter Steele
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
15.04.2010 - 17:43
Dominus
The Shooter
Confirmed.
RIP
15.04.2010 - 17:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
RIP
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.04.2010 - 18:00
Thrash666
R.I.P. Peter
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
15.04.2010 - 18:13
Orphan Saint
Account deleted
The joke is truly on us now. Peter, you will be missed.
15.04.2010 - 18:14
Dominus
The Shooter
Type O Negative's label, SPV / Steamhammer has issued the following statement:

"It's with great sadness that we give our condolences to the family and friends of Peter Steele. He died on April 14th, 2010. With his bands CARNIVORE and Type O Negative he achieved cult status and was loved by fans around the world.

The last releases he did with Type O Negative were the DVD Symphony For The Devil and the studio album Dead Again. SPV/Steamhammer proudly released both products worldwide, which will now - very unfortunately - be the end of his recording legacy.

The world has lost a charismatic frontman and a very talented person.

Our condolences go to Peter's family, friends and the members of his bands.

In Mourning... SPV / Steamhammer."

Hits total: 19150 | This month: 14