Metal Storm logo
Type O Negative - Peter Steele Dead At 48 [UPDATE]

KNAC, Blabbermouth, The Gauntlet and many other sources claim that Peter Steele of the New York Gothic Metal outfit Type O Negative has passed away on Wednesday 14 April 2010 due to cardiac arrest.

Peter Steele, also known as frontman of the band Carnivore, has already died once as a publicity stunt back in 2005. Due to this, we are not yet going to believe in the rumors of his passing this time around. We'll keep you updated as we find out more.

If he's dead, that sucks. If not, fool me once...

UPDATED

Sadly, Peter Steele's death has now been confirmed to us by an SPV representative. Blabbermouth and even the band's official website also contain confirmation.

Peter Steele is dead at 48. His cause of death is not yet confirmed. There are a lot of fans of the band amongst Metal Storm staffers and users and all of us definitely feel devastated by Pete's untimely passing. You still had a few great albums in you, Peter. It is a shame we will never hear them.

UPDATE

Here's the official word from the band:

"It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to Dead Again released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We'd like to share our thoughts and those of Peter's family below. We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world."

Source: knac.com
Band profile: Type O Negative
Posted: 16.04.2010 by jupitreas

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 91   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 739 users
15.04.2010 - 18:21
OneWithMisery

Goddamn, this day sucks!
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
15.04.2010 - 18:32
M??aLWaRrIöR?

I saw Type O Negative lots and i feel so bad right now... he was one of my heros... R.I.P. Green Man...
15.04.2010 - 18:33
Njord
njord
RIP
15.04.2010 - 18:34
Prisoner
Account deleted
R.I.P Peter Steele!
15.04.2010 - 18:36
VPeter

This band is very personal to me and I'm not afraid to admit it I cried when I read the news. So long Pete
15.04.2010 - 19:01
prelude2tragedy

R.I.P. :'(
15.04.2010 - 19:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Everyone i love (who is over 6'4", has appeared nekkid in Playgirl and fronts a nyc based quasi-doom/quasi-goth band) is dead.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.04.2010 - 19:31
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The more I read the posts in this thread, the sadder I get...TON was my favorite band in the world hands down...I've been a fan of them since October Rust and saw them live a countless amount of times...so you can understand if I get a little emotional and shed a tear...there honestly was no music more beautiful and haunting than the music of Type O Negative...oh wow, I'm loosing it here...I can't believe he's dead! no, no...it cannot be true...please someone out there tell me this isn't true! I have to start listening to TON now, get really drunk and smoke a lot of weed because honestly I can't handle the death of Peter Steele right now...
15.04.2010 - 19:38
Baz Anderson

Wow. I can't believe it. Sad news. I was hoping to see them again one day, but I guess that won't happen now.
15.04.2010 - 20:32
Elodie Artour
Slania
I didn't know there were such awful news which were supposed to be funny before. However, this time it is for real and I do feel bad about him. RIP, Peter!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
15.04.2010 - 20:34
HardSide

Horrible news. I was hoping Carnivore would have released another album, it's too late now, the guy was a good musician, and he came from my neighborhood also. Aweful.
15.04.2010 - 20:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The thing that get me is the fact that it was so... unpredictable. It's time like this when you really should appreciate your life, you never know when you will die.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.04.2010 - 20:50
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
It appears to have been heart failure, damn, at 48. Another dead hero, Rest In Peace brother...
15.04.2010 - 20:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Terrible news indeed. Specially for Luisa, who is a big Type O Negative Fan.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.04.2010 - 21:41
Black Mass

Oh boo. This sucks.
Better dig out that old Playgirl mag (sorry, I had to say that).
15.04.2010 - 21:53
WAR

Really sad news

R.I.P Peter

You're a legend now
15.04.2010 - 22:02
Memento Mori
Mr. Nobody
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck (((((((((((
15.04.2010 - 22:28
@gent_-_orange

Sad news

R.I.P Peter Steele
15.04.2010 - 22:29
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Damn. This sucks.
RIP Steele
15.04.2010 - 22:44
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Damn, sucky news...
----
15.04.2010 - 22:45
SatyriconChick

I just found this out on another forum about a half-hour ago. How horrible and sad. A friend of mine met Pete twice, and from what I heard, he was a really nice guy. I never had a chance to meet him, but I did catch Type O Negative at Nassau Coliseum back in '96. They put out some great music. R.I.P. Pete - you will be missed!
15.04.2010 - 22:52
JPT
Account deleted
Rest in Peace Bassbro..
15.04.2010 - 23:48
Skøllgrim
Northern
Sad news indeed.... he passed away too young....
15.04.2010 - 23:57
Opethian

Why is everyone dying ? Terrible news of course, may he RIP ... how sad
16.04.2010 - 00:03
Jiri

Jesus Christ. Unexpected! RIP Pete.
16.04.2010 - 00:03
mrrampage

R.I.P m/
----
Metal isnt just music its a Life Style m/
16.04.2010 - 00:26
..ExoTeaR..

See you on the otherside you fucken weirdo. RIP
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
16.04.2010 - 00:27
Dominus
The Shooter
Roadrunner Records has commented on the passing of Peter Steele, iconic frontman of Brooklyn goth-metal legends Type O Negative , who passed away at 6pm yesterday (April 14th) due to heart failure.

It reads as follows:

With a sense of humor blacker than the clothing he wore, the sarcastic messages in songs like 'Set Me On Fire', 'I Don't Want to Be Me' and an album entitled Life is Killing Me once viewed as darkly tongue-in-cheek now take on a more gloomy meaning as we remember the man who wrote them. SVP of A&R Monte Conner, who originally signed Type O Negative to Roadrunner Records in 1989 puts it best, saying:

"We have lost several Roadrunner artists over the years but this is a biggie - this one hurts the most, not just because Peter was a great, great guy, but he figures so prominently in the history of this company (our first Gold album, our first radio success). He was a tortured soul for most of his life and certainly for the entire time we all knew him. Let's hope he is in a better place."

Pete Steele was surely a man who towered over everyone he met, not just in his physical stature but in his personality riddled with humor and heartache. His dramatic baritone voice carried foreboding lyrics about death and despair over electronic chaos and bottom-heavy guitars, proving to become not only the band's signature, but a sound unmatched ever since Type O's inception. With profound distaste and disgust for both humanity and political correctness, Type O Negative never changed with the times - the times changed with them. Marked by sharp wit and bouts of gloom 'n depression, Peter Steele and the Drab Four rewarded their listeners with what can only be expected from the Brooklyn doom squad: A nihilistic world view, anthems of sex and death, and a blinding torch of well-placed fury.

VP of Promotions Mark Abramson recalls his time spent working with Peter and Type O, saying: "I remember getting the demo tape of Repulsion (soon to be renamed Type O Negative) and feeling this visceral outpouring of rage in a way that very few records hit me. We went on to be friends in addition to my being one of their biggest fans, and I worked the records with a passion. Hell, I even sold shirts for them in some early shows when they needed help! When we were going to take Type O to commercial radio I felt it like a life mission and for the 2 years of the Bloody Kisses campaign we changed so much -- we helped take this label to a new level, gave them and us first Gold records, helped expand boundaries at the soon-to-be-named format of Active Rock radio and introduced the world to a truly unique band. I remember being ridiculed at the Gold plaque presentation picture that I "could breathe now" as I was puffed-chest proud, and responding that I actually couldn't! Traveling with Peter to radio stations was always an adventure and fun; Peter was a rock star, but he didn't know it, which made it so much better! I have so many great stories and memories of traveling the road with them but most would only mean something to me. Cities and shows flood back to me now: Ft Myers? Lubbock? Toledo? crazy nights for sure! We were an important part of each other's lives. Peter was a unique person with his own issues but they were part of what made him Peter Steele and the later years were not his best years but he was a good person, with a good heart. The only person I have ever known him to hurt was himself. There are so few bands like Type O and very few personalities like Peter. I will forever love his music and his art, and cherish the time we had together. Farewell my friend - be well and be happy."

Kathie Reed Merritt, Sr. Director of Digital /Physical Sales -West Coast, comments, "The news of Peter Steele's passing is very sad and my heart goes out to the men of Type O and all the fans who loved and idolized Peter. He was truly and quite literally larger than life. He was everything you would ever want in a Rock Star: a great, off-color sense of humor, a fabulous persona and deep voice that would just melt you heart. And a musical talent beyond words. His loss is so tragic, and I will always be grateful for the education that he and his band gave to some of us at the label . They really helped mold who we are as people in this crazy music business. I spent the better part of three years on and off the road with Type O Negative in the 90's and love those 4 men like family. Unlike many bands, these guys let us be part of their world, a very unique thing in this day and age. Peter, rest in peace, a part of me will forever be 'Your Druidess.' Here is a video of the band talking about their most memorable show - I would say for myself and Mark Abramson - that was a night we both would never forget!"

From everyone at Roadrunner Records, we offer our condolences to Peter's family and friends, and hope you'll join us in listening to some classic Type O today in honor of a true talent and a Roadrunner legend.
16.04.2010 - 01:09
owl

This is one of those news we didn't expect to hear so soon. I'm still taking it in...
Steele was one of the most charismatic frontmen ever, along with a fabulous songwriter. It'll take a while for another one like him to come along... if ever.

May he rest in his own kind of peace.
----
16.04.2010 - 01:24
tieka

R.I.P Peter Steele.

Hits total: 19147 | This month: 11