Metal Storm logo
Type O Negative - Peter Steele Dead At 48 [UPDATE]

KNAC, Blabbermouth, The Gauntlet and many other sources claim that Peter Steele of the New York Gothic Metal outfit Type O Negative has passed away on Wednesday 14 April 2010 due to cardiac arrest.

Peter Steele, also known as frontman of the band Carnivore, has already died once as a publicity stunt back in 2005. Due to this, we are not yet going to believe in the rumors of his passing this time around. We'll keep you updated as we find out more.

If he's dead, that sucks. If not, fool me once...

UPDATED

Sadly, Peter Steele's death has now been confirmed to us by an SPV representative. Blabbermouth and even the band's official website also contain confirmation.

Peter Steele is dead at 48. His cause of death is not yet confirmed. There are a lot of fans of the band amongst Metal Storm staffers and users and all of us definitely feel devastated by Pete's untimely passing. You still had a few great albums in you, Peter. It is a shame we will never hear them.

UPDATE

Here's the official word from the band:

"It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to Dead Again released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We'd like to share our thoughts and those of Peter's family below. We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world."

Source: knac.com
Band profile: Type O Negative
Posted: 16.04.2010 by jupitreas

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 91   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 739 users
16.04.2010 - 02:08
Symmachus
Peter Steele if officially dead. I have no reason to doubt it now. I have not listened to this band recently, but as a matter of fact, I was just thinking about them today or yesterday or both, more specifically about the frontman Peter Steele. A mental snapshot of him in a video interview was on my mind. What crummy news. This sucks. RIP Peter Steele.
16.04.2010 - 02:15
Cah
Really really sad.. if it's true....

R.I.P Unfortunatly...
:'(
----
* I´m me, You are Yourself.
Don´t forget this! *
16.04.2010 - 02:22
Mother_North
"We're gonna miss really miss you"

I only regret haven't seen the band live
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
16.04.2010 - 02:31
BlankFile
Damn this is really sad news. He had an unique voice. RIP.
16.04.2010 - 03:20
nehrodwarf
RIP

well at other side...

vahalla got a new bass player soon god will gather a good band, they have chuck schuldiner, dimmu bogir and now peter steele
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
16.04.2010 - 04:13
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Opethian on 15.04.2010 at 23:57

Why is everyone dying ? Terrible news of course, may he RIP ... how sad

People dies, it's just a part of life, still this is a sad news.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.04.2010 - 04:24
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
That's surprising, certainly didn't expect him to kick the bucket so early.
16.04.2010 - 05:34
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
"Everything Dies". take it up with the gods Steele, give 'em hell.

side note: his playgirl cover is gonna be worth MILLIONS.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.04.2010 - 05:47
Zamoth
Rest In Peace Peter, you will be missed.
16.04.2010 - 09:50
Yes, everyone dies... it's the finiteness of life that makes it worth living.

May he rest eternally...
16.04.2010 - 10:32
terrorist
BOGA MU JEBEM!!!!! R.I.P. Peter..................
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
16.04.2010 - 10:37
Thorhalla
Jooooooooooooj R.I.P Pete :(:(
----
A mighty troll warrior sharpens his sword. He prepares his armour, binds his beard and tars his face. As the sun sets, he rides a giant wolf to the crusaders fortress. He slays the wrong-believers and feasts on their blood.
16.04.2010 - 10:47
Chaosweaver
RIP Pete.

Everything Dies.
16.04.2010 - 13:08
Arcticus
RIP Pete Steele...along with Sabbath, Type O were the very first metal band I got into, at the tender age of 10, so there are some very special memories involved for me (I'm 24 now), and I was deeply saddened to read this news. His music will never die...although it won't sound quite the same anymore. Hail and farewell my friend.
16.04.2010 - 18:26
joco
He had awesome voice... i don't like type o , but i always sad if a great musician dies:(:(
16.04.2010 - 18:55
Umideath
RIP Peter
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
16.04.2010 - 19:23
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Very sad. He was kind of a weird cult metal icon, atleast I always saw him that way. RIP and enjoy exploring the afterlife.
16.04.2010 - 20:41
Martin_metal
R.I.P Peter...
16.04.2010 - 22:04
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Wow.....

With All Honor, Mr. Steele
----
16.04.2010 - 23:59
Mega Wolf
Dammit. I just found it out today.. Ruined my week.
How I wish we would see someday soon some message like: "Hahaha we're kidding, he's fine!" on Type O Negative's website... Such a great lost. Love the band.
Rip Peter Steele, one of the best musicians of all time. Keep on rocking forever.
17.04.2010 - 00:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I've never heard ToN but now im going to... RIP
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.04.2010 - 01:09
wh1te603
R.I.P. Peter, we'll miss you.
17.04.2010 - 02:34
Ironic seems to be an understatement... I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Type O's last couple albums, aside of a few songs, but nonetheless, it really saddens me a lot, to hear about another hero I've had since I was a teenager has fallen. I remember the first song performed by Type O Negative that I heard, their cover of 'Black Sabbath', and I think about how I instantly thought that these guys were very unique, dark, and twisted... Then a little later, I picked up a copy of October Rust, not even having heard any of their other music. I came to know then, that they could not only be dark and gloomy, but also romantic and a little more accessible, musically speaking. Then I got into their earlier stuff, as well as what I could find of Carnivore, which I also fell in love with... Probably my favorite song, to date, is still Gravitational Constant.
But here I am, talking about the band... Let me specify... Pete's voice was probably the main element that drew me in to become a fan of Type O Negative... The man had an amazing vocal range, and on top of that, was a very accomplished bassist.
After seeing video interviews, a few months ago, of Peter and the other band members, I was pretty disappointed to hear that the band had broken up, but also saw them to be taking it very reasonably, and I admire Josh Silver's departure to set forth down the road of becoming a paramedic. What I also saw as admirable was Pete coming clean about alcohol and substance abuse, and that he was (as sincerely as he could be) visibly regretful of his actions that pushed him apart from Josh, Kenny and Johnny.
I want to say also, that I have recently lost a band member, as well as a great friend, as well, and I think I may have at least an inkling of understanding for what some people are feeling about Peter, right now, and I hope that all of the people who were close to him, or at least admired his work, as I do, will be alright. It's a shock, after he turned his life around and was getting healthier, and hopefully, we can all learn what taking a lot of risks with drugs can do to our bodies.
17.04.2010 - 04:37
Klavikula
I was looking for new record news from Type O and i found this sad notice!
Type O is one of my favorite band I listen they since 15 years ago.
This news are very sad, a huge lost for de metal world!:erm:
17.04.2010 - 10:18
Morteza K.
oh God! RIP.
18.04.2010 - 16:20
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
God damn it man ... wtf ... this is so unfair ... shit ....

R.I.P. DAMNIT
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
18.04.2010 - 20:32
Nyxgrinder
Everything dies......

19.04.2010 - 04:59
LeoBozzano
Peter dies, but Keith Richards are steel. There is no justice at all.
----
"The evil that man do lives on."
19.04.2010 - 09:33
Tmick
I found out the news Friday. Tears were definately shed. Saying goodbye to one ( Type O) of the pillars on which my love for this music is based is not an easy thing. I was never one of the "goth" types; Just an impressionable kid that was pulled in by some very well thought out, beautiful music that I could, in a way, relate to.
Life is a desert sometimes and all we have are mirages to keep us sane. Whether they be good or bad is largely of our own choosing. You were never alone. Thanks for the ride man. RIP
19.04.2010 - 18:04
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Rest In Peace brother... we'll miss you.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!

Hits total: 19155 | This month: 19