08. Darkness Of Mine
09. Linoleum
10. Curiosity
11. Where It Hurts
12. Road Salt
13. Innocence
14. Tip Toe Two [Japanese bonus]

Additional info
The Limited Edition contains extended edits of "No Way" and "Road Salt".

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
If you expected this kind of album after the Linoleum EP, you're really good. If you expected this kind of album after Scarsick, what the hell are you doing reading this review anyway? There's a world open for you. You should be out getting a permanent position as a weather forecaster to improve their services or something. Had I had any particular expectations for this release, I think I would have been slightly disappointed. Or maybe not. I don't even know. However, trying to approach the first listen with a sort of a clean sheet is definitely a good idea. Something clicked for me that way.

Read more ››
published 20.07.2010 | Comments (7)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 704 users
17.04.2010 - 11:47
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Looking forward to this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.05.2010 - 18:18
Rating: 8
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Amazing, really breathes 70's like promised, really glad that I live in Sweden so I could get it early.
16.05.2010 - 01:21
Rating: 10
The Voyager
The Table
I think this album is one of their best ever. I would place it in their top three easily. The mood set by the slow tempos is great and sometimes downright eerie and Daniel's vocals, as always, are incredible.
17.05.2010 - 20:44
ChrisWinther

This album is fucking genius!
17.05.2010 - 21:16
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Not bad, but not what I am looking for either. I'm in the mood of something more metal. The tracks that are relatively heavier are quite Stoner Rock to me. That being said, the vocals are really well done and varied.
----
loves 小巫
17.05.2010 - 23:51
Fat & Sassy!

Listened to this a couple times so far. This really isn't like anything they have done before and certainly isn't metal in the slightest, but I REALLY like every song so far. Unlike a lot of people, I like Daniel's Mike Patton-esque vocal style, and it seems strangely absent in this album. Oh well, this album rules.
18.05.2010 - 14:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I've been listening to this album for the last two days. Yes, it's not metal, and I have a feeling that Road Salt Two will be much heavier, but it's still music I can enjoy. And the truth is that it has great songs in it. And Pain of Salvation set out to surprise everyone once again.

I still need a lot more listens before I can evaluate the album, as in comparison with all their other albums and on its own.
----

My Instagram
18.05.2010 - 15:34
CheaTer

Absolutely fantastic. Never repeated. Excellent!
19.05.2010 - 22:05
Dologan

Absolutely not metal at all. Absolutely not bad at all.
20.05.2010 - 00:37
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Jazzy-Blue-y, Stoner, 70's, but most of all: very progressive.

Absolutely love the album, specially the lyrics. Perhaps my favorite Pain of Salvation album.
----
22.05.2010 - 03:47
João Pirucas
Mr. Piruson
Such an amazing and trully original album!
22.05.2010 - 09:02
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Well.. these comments practically forced me to check this out...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.05.2010 - 14:55
Redwolf

You're right, it's not really metal anymore... It's beyond metal
22.05.2010 - 19:31
Rating: 4
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I'll check this out because I do have a couple of their albums, but I am not a huge fan...dunno what it is, they just don't do it for me - it's weird cause I am a HUGE prog fan; I love bands like Evergrey, Circus Maximus, Shadow Gallery, Beyond Twilight - I'll give this a listen, stay tuned!
----
rekt
22.05.2010 - 21:50
Fat & Sassy!

Written by tea[m]ster on 22.05.2010 at 19:31

... I am not a huge fan...dunno what it is, they just don't do it for me - it's weird cause I am a HUGE prog fan; I love bands like Evergrey, Circus Maximus, Shadow Gallery, Beyond Twilight...

They really don't sound like any of those bands, I think. ESPECIALLY on this album. Really, I can already tell this is a MAJOR love or hate album...
22.05.2010 - 23:03
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by tea[m]ster on 22.05.2010 at 19:31

I'll check this out because I do have a couple of their albums, but I am not a huge fan...dunno what it is, they just don't do it for me - it's weird cause I am a HUGE prog fan; I love bands like Evergrey, Circus Maximus, Shadow Gallery, Beyond Twilight - I'll give this a listen, stay tuned!

I had a hard time REALLY getting into them for a while, then one day I listened to Perfect Element I on a great sound system and it just "clicked". I know it's a shitty excuse "You just gotta listen to them a lot before you will like it" but it is exactly what happened to me. I wanted to like them...

This album is very intriguing, I haven't even fully embraced it yet.
23.05.2010 - 18:23
Therapy?

Wow this album sucks... I was hoping for stuff like "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" but this album is... I don't even have the proper words for it but I don't like it.
23.05.2010 - 18:57
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Therapy? on 23.05.2010 at 18:23

Wow this album sucks... I was hoping for stuff like "One Hour by the Concrete Lake"...

What would make you even consider that this album may be like their second album that was released twelve years ago, especially coming from this band? o_o
23.05.2010 - 19:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Possibly because he only heard that album or really likes that album and was unconsciously wanting "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" II.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but still, people shouldn't assume with Pain of Salvation.
----

My Instagram
23.05.2010 - 19:27
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 23.05.2010 at 19:15

Possibly because he only heard that album or really likes that album and was unconsciously wanting "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" II.

Yeah, I'm just curious. That's all.

Now that I feel that I've pretty much digested this album completely after many, many listens, I'd have to say that's it's probably my second favorite PoS album atm. The only complaints I have with it is that they kinda seem to be wearing the 70's rock sound a bit too much on their sleeves in terms of originality, and I wish it was longer (Sorry for the Run-On here. You see, we're dating, and she comes in and crashes the party at the most inopportune moments. Please excuse her.). This album is just way too short. I wish they just would have combined the Linoleum EP with it. :l
23.05.2010 - 21:34
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.05.2010 at 19:27

Written by BloodTears on 23.05.2010 at 19:15

Yeah, I'm just curious. That's all.

Now that I feel that I've pretty much digested this album completely after many, many listens, I'd have to say that's it's probably my second favorite PoS album atm. The only complaints I have with it is that they kinda seem to be wearing the 70's rock sound a bit too much on their sleeves in terms of originality, and I wish it was longer (Sorry for the Run-On here. You see, we're dating, and she comes in and crashes the party at the most inopportune moments. Please excuse her.). This album is just way too short. I wish they just would have combined the Linoleum EP with it. :l

It reminds me of led zeppelin sometimes. And Ben Harper.
----

My Instagram
23.05.2010 - 21:54
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 23.05.2010 at 21:34

It reminds me of led zeppelin sometimes. And Ben Harper.

Yeah, Daniel shows his Robert Plant side much more on this album. Also, I get more a Hendrix feel from the album than Ben Harper. You're right though. The Zeppelin influence has always been there (in songs like Rope Ends and whatnot), but the influence is blatantly obvious in this album.
01.06.2010 - 23:46
advent

Hmm ,,good effort but still i can't get really into it ,,, something is missing here
06.06.2010 - 22:41
Rating: 8
Evil Chip

I loved it.... they really got it with this one. Its a really personal and straight record as you can read in the lyrics. Nice PoS!
08.06.2010 - 02:14
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Sisters...what a song!! Absolutely fantastic! It lacks the 10, only because theres no metal in it!
25.06.2010 - 16:19
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
It's a 10, no doubt. It's not a metal album, however songs like Darkness of Mine and even Linoleum remind me of Tool. But all songs are perfect and of course Sisters is pure gold, one of the best songs i've heard in my entire life. Stunning!
15.07.2010 - 13:52
nb

Written by Guest on 08.06.2010 at 02:14

Sisters...what a song!! Absolutely fantastic! It lacks the 10, only because theres no metal in it!

I completely agree, Sisters might be the best song on the album, it is amazing!!!
When I heard the Linoleum EP, I thought their sound had changed, moved a little away from metal,
but still the PoS style in there, and the songwriting is great. This album has also the unique
PoS songwriting style from my favorite PoS albums (Perfect Element Pt1 and Remedy Lane), but
without the metal.
Even without the heavier guitars, this album is pure awesome music.
09.08.2010 - 11:30
ApolloFC

Brilliant album. Wasn't interested much when it first came out but after giving it a few spins its just an incredible album. Added to the: To Buy list.

Edit: Bought at PPUSA
19.08.2010 - 19:52
Wayakin

Too uncomplicated for Pain of Salvation. Thats definitely not a metal album, stil, if your listening to it as a non metal album, you can find in it some nice non metal compositions. So I go with 8 this time.
04.09.2010 - 17:26
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
This one was a big surprise for me and a pleasant one indeed. Though you could kind of expect this after the Linoleum EP but the full-length is more diverse and satisfying. What I just have to mention is that the sound not only reminds of the 70's rock scene but also gives you that warm feeling as if you're sitting with the band members around the fire and listen to their songs. Road Salt One with all its seeming simplicity shows that progressive musician needs to be not only a scholar mixing different scales and harmonies but also a daring explorer of the new musical landscapes.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"

Hits total: 19378 | This month: 21