Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

18.04.2010 - 01:12
Paladin
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
18.04.2010 - 01:27
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Infact, i think female-fronted metal bands are so weak, and symphonic crap should ont even be associated with metal.. it doesnt have any anger, rebellion, or power in it... so, this makes Angela Gossow (arch Enemy) the only acceptable female vocalist
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
18.04.2010 - 01:33
Ragana
Rawrcat
Arch Enemy is not the only female-fronted 'extreme' metal band. AND who said metal should be angry? If there wasn't symphonic metal, guys wouldn't have the chance to drool over Simone Simons and all other redheads. XD
18.04.2010 - 02:05
I_Die_Often
One of my favorite bands right now is Dreaming Dead! She growls!
And seeing Arch Enemy a short time ago gave me tons more respect for that band.
Women do have a place in metal, but just as everything else, it's all personal preference.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
18.04.2010 - 02:39
Kennoth
I'm a little traditional when it comes to this. First of all, bands where female vocalist sings are not 'weak'; but I prefer clean, beautiful female voice, instead of growls and grunts, when same can be done better and more easier by a male performer. So, the 'beauty and the beast' vocalization suits me (kinda like Sirenia).

I never liked Angela and Arch Enemy. The only notable growling chick band for me is The Agonist. She (Alissa) can growl and use clean vocals, and it still sounds good.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
18.04.2010 - 02:51
ToMegaTherion
I do like female vocalists in bands but they must be good. I don't like them just because their female but if she is good and band is good than definitely, it can only be good for the whole scene having more women involved in metal. I suppose it depend on your taste in metal to how much woman are taking part. Black metal has really only seen Cadaveria, Opera IX and Astarte, I'm sure there are other acts but they are the one i know reasonably well. I'm not disappointed with what I've heard from the extreme metal scene, but definitely women are not so prominent amongst Black and Death metal.
However the melodic scene has seen some really talented and awesome singers rise to prominence not for looks and it certainly can't be said that it's unique anymore that women are in bands. To name just a few really talented girls here are some to get people started
Melodic Scene
Simone Simons (Epica)
Anneke van Giersbergen (ex The Gathering)
Doro

Extreme Metal Scene
Angela Gassow (Arch Enemy) - not a favorite but very good at what she does.
Cadaveria (Cadaveria, ex Opera IX) - probably one of the more talented girls in the extreme metal scene, she can growl and sing with equal proficiency
18.04.2010 - 05:05
meddle
Having a female vocalist is pretty good depending on what type of band you are. I think it works out pretty good for some like Arch Enemy. Not many girls have the balls to be doing death grunts like Angela Gassow . Is it really the best sound though, not really, Arch enemy is a great band but having a girl do that type of signing just doesn't quite work. Probably the best type of band to have a female vocalist is a more symphonic band of course but still its got to be a really good signer, not some stoner chick who cant sing for shit and needs to go back to her corner.
----
mr.chips
18.04.2010 - 09:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Nope. I know some people are surprised that I think that cos I am female myself, but I just dont think female voices work with metal at all. Angela Gossow is a rare exception, but she sounds quite masculine, so I dont really count her. There are many bands who have female vocalists who are great musically, but I just cant truly like them because of the vocals. To me, it just doesnt fit the music. So apart from rare exceptions like Angela Gossow, I dont like female vocals in metal bands.
18.04.2010 - 11:45
Mikyz
Well it's a fact that there wasn't any ground breaking, innovative female-fronted extreme metal acts. Though I really enjoy the angelic vocals that carry some sort of emotion in gothic/doom metal acts. But if you want a woman to express anger, hate and disgust it is naturally/scientifically impossible, that's just how we are.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
18.04.2010 - 11:46
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I don't think there is any thing wrong with women being involved in metal however, I'm not one for female vocalists fronting metal. It's nothing to do with how well they do or, do not display anger, aggression or power but rather, I prefer the sound that a male vocalist can achieve naturally.

The only bands I can think of that are female fronted that I may get some enjoyment out of are, L7 and Drain STH.
18.04.2010 - 14:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.04.2010 at 09:58

Nope. I know some people are surprised that I think that cos I am female myself, but I just dont think female voices work with metal at all. Angela Gossow is a rare exception, but she sounds quite masculine, so I dont really count her. There are many bands who have female vocalists who are great musically, but I just cant truly like them because of the vocals. To me, it just doesnt fit the music. So apart from rare exceptions like Angela Gossow, I dont like female vocals in metal bands.

Why all female metalheads what I know dont like female vocalists

For me yes and no depends what band, style etc
ToT wht Liv first 2 yes leither no
epica no
after forever bo
Besty Bitch yes
etc depends of band, style and how good band is, if I like it it dosnt metter who's snging
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2010 - 21:26
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
To me all the female vocalists just sound the same. Though I admit that I don't really even listen to so many female-fronted bands. My experience is limited to symphonic metal. I might like the singer, if she had a little edge in her voice. All in all I avoid bands with female vocalists, so it kind of keeps me from ever finding out if a great female-fronted metal band really exists.
----
You'll never walk alone.
18.04.2010 - 23:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Angela Gossow is NOT extreme. She give great extreme women vocalists a bad name.
After Friday I am 100% sure the best EXTREME female vocalist (grunter) is Runhild Gammelsaeter of Thorr's Hammer. She grunts 99.9% of all male grunters right out of the water. And nto only that, she is HOT as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.04.2010 - 23:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mikyz on 18.04.2010 at 11:45

Well it's a fact that there wasn't any ground breaking, innovative female-fronted extreme metal acts.

Yes there was... THORR'S HAMMER.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2010 - 01:51
Kennoth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2010 at 23:47
And nto only that, she is HOT as well.

Pic or it didn't happen
----
*insert something deep and profound*
19.04.2010 - 07:02
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff

Well it's a fact that there wasn't any ground breaking, innovative female-fronted extreme metal acts. Though I really enjoy the angelic vocals that carry some sort of emotion in gothic/doom metal acts. But if you want a woman to express anger, hate and disgust it is naturally/scientifically impossible, that's just how we are.

Yet another pathetic comment about the natural and physical essences of humans. Don't you get it that things like "anger" or "hate" or "disgust" are concepts that reflect a given culture, and that we have evolved socially to think what we feel to be these emotions does not necessarily have to be this way? Personally, I've received and given more thoughts of anger with a silent stare than I ever have with words and volume anyway.

And secondly, within humanity's concepts of "disgust" or "anger", it is entirely likely and truthful that humans themselves understand and feel these emotions differently (or any emotion at all). If we all thought the same or acted the same, no one would ever be misunderstood on an emotional level.

Whether someone likes or dislikes men or women as vocalists, I could care less. But to suggest that women (or men) are not capable of something is part of the reason why metal and metalheads continues to be slapped with the stereotypes it has - and on a bigger part, humanity itself sticking to the same outdated ways of thinking.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
19.04.2010 - 10:20
Archetype
I find that I can really enjoy female vocals regardless of genre as long as the vocals suit the song and add to it rather than standing out like they don't belong.
19.04.2010 - 12:38
Mikyz
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2010 at 23:51

Well it's a fact that there wasn't any ground breaking, innovative female-fronted extreme metal acts.

Yes there was... THORR'S HAMMER.

Thanks for that 0.0 Her vocals can overshadow that of many male vocalists, her voice carries both power and emotion.

Written by Jason W. on 19.04.2010 at 07:02

Yet another pathetic comment about the natural and physical essences of humans. Don't you get it that things like "anger" or "hate" or "disgust" are concepts that reflect a given culture, and that we have evolved socially to think what we feel to be these emotions does not necessarily have to be this way? Personally, I've received and given more thoughts of anger with a silent stare than I ever have with words and volume anyway.

And secondly, within humanity's concepts of "disgust" or "anger", it is entirely likely and truthful that humans themselves understand and feel these emotions differently (or any emotion at all). If we all thought the same or acted the same, no one would ever be misunderstood on an emotional level.

Whether someone likes or dislikes men or women as vocalists, I could care less. But to suggest that women (or men) are not capable of something is part of the reason why metal and metalheads continues to be slapped with the stereotypes it has - and on a bigger part, humanity itself sticking to the same outdated ways of thinking.

What you wrote is 100% accurate. But the only thing I said is that woman's vocals are more suitable to express feelings like "sadness", "despair" and "loss". It might be a stereotype but it's one that I agree with. Also, you're right when you say every individual has his own way of expressing feelings like anger and hate, but to my ears woman fail in most cases at expressing THOSE feelings with their voice, of course men often fail too but imo they have a higher success rate. So don't make me look like a sexist jerk for brain storming >.<
----
19.04.2010 - 16:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well of course I do. I don't prefer it but there are many great female vocalists out there. And it all depends on what type of metal it is.
----
19.04.2010 - 18:08
Thor26
Quote:
Paladin

I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.

Anger is not the problem with female vocals. I think that both Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow) and Dreaming Dead(Elizabeth Schall) are proving the point.
I find Arch Enemy as the better band of the two, by the way. They're quite awesome and that girl really can give some lessons to many male frontmen. Awesome.
I think that the problem lies with the power-casting abilities, an attribute that, especially for an extreme-metal band is so important. And here I'm especially thinking size and pulmonary volume.
----
With Odin on our side!
19.04.2010 - 18:13
Edmund Fogg
I think that female vocalist bcan add alot of emotions to a band and can expand their musical styles.although female fronted metal bands tends to all souds the same.So I think it is a great adittion to a band but only if its not their front singer
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
20.04.2010 - 11:11
Thor26
Quote:
Marcel Hubregtse

Angela Gossow is NOT extreme. She give great extreme women vocalists a bad name.

Would you care to elaborate as to why you think that?

Quote:
Marcel Hubregtse

After Friday I am 100% sure the best EXTREME female vocalist (grunter) is Runhild Gammelsaeter of Thorr's Hammer. She grunts 99.9% of all male grunters right out of the water. And nto only that, she is HOT as well.

True. Runhild Gammelsæter grunts. Notice that I wrote grunt. Gossow growls. The difference between the two is that grunting is a short, snorting sound while growling is a sustained guttural noise.
Put in our common interest -which is metal- growling will be singing using deep sustained guttural sounds. In this respect, Gossow is way better. Way better front-man too. That should be obvious for a gothenburg-metal band.
On the other hand, Runhild just walks the stage to work the numbness in her feet which is quite enough for Thorr's Hammer's weird and sick style.
----
With Odin on our side!
20.04.2010 - 14:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Paladin on 18.04.2010 at 01:12

I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.

metal isnt only about anger...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.04.2010 - 17:20
adean_bllzr
Depends of the style of metal. In overall, I don´t like female voices; in my opinion, it lacks the strenght that this music has. (There are always exceptions like Arch Enemy)
However, I can´t imagine some bands without female voices, like for example Leave´s Eyes, Doro, Nightwish even Girlschools.
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
23.04.2010 - 17:24
adean_bllzr
Written by Norm on 18.04.2010 at 01:21

I think you need to explore more bands with female vocalists. There are really some great ones out there. There is a topic about them on here already with at least 50 bands that you should check out before saying something like this.

Maybe he knows these bands and still thinks the same.

I know many female voices and I agree with his opinion; I prefer them on symphonic metal
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
26.04.2010 - 10:09
flickaa
Ugh im soo horrible at this.. i actually dont... =/ however when I saw arch enemy i was indeed impressed...
12.05.2010 - 11:07
Mikyz
I recently discovered an awesome melodic black/doom/death metal female fronted band called Candle Serenade. They sure are talented, specially the female vocalist she growls and has beautiful clean vocals.
----
13.05.2010 - 02:04
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I'm not a big fan of female vocals, TBH. I personally consider most of these bands with the "Beauty and The Beast" voca formula quite repetitive and boring. The operatic voice followed by a growl is not my stuff. I nly like 2 bands with fremalevocals: Lacuna Coil, precisely because Cristina Scabbia doesn't have an operatic voice (not so much as Simone Simmons for example), but a contralto voice, and it sounds really cool. And Arch Enemy, the only femalegrowls I like.

As guest vocalist they're cool for me as well, like SImone Simmons in "Somewhere in Time" by Kamelot, or Cristna Scabbia in "A Tout le Monde" by Megadeth.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
13.05.2010 - 04:19
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I love female vocals in metal, but a lot of bands don't sound very inspired musically.
Here's my favourite bands with female vocals:
Beautiful Sin => this is for those who claim female vox don't have da powa without sounding like a shemale
To-Mera => definitely an integral part of currently one of the best prog bands around. for those who think female fronted bands lack originality and too conventional. Tell me another band that plays metal as crazy as "Delusions"
----
loves 小巫
13.05.2010 - 21:05
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Kennoth on 19.04.2010 at 01:51

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2010 at 23:47
And nto only that, she is HOT as well.

Pic or it didn't happen

----
loves 小巫