Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

Original post

Posted by Paladin, 18.04.2010 - 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
01.10.2010 - 18:32
RobertNowhere

Ooops....you're right...Robin Crosby played guitar in Ratt, right?
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
08.10.2010 - 12:14
Sweet Leaf

If they are good, of course I like them. I've listened to very few Symphonic or Gothic Metal (where female vocalists are more common) and in the subgenres I listen it's not easy to find some, but I really enjoy DödsÄngel (Black Metal/Crust) and Lori's voice in Acid King (I think this band has been already mentioned).

Written by Ellrohir on 20.04.2010 at 14:33

metal isnt only about anger...

I agree, it's very simplistic to reduce metal to that.
12.10.2010 - 21:18
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Hmm I dunno why but there's something about Liv Kristine's vocals in earlier ToT that really gets me going. weird.
20.12.2010 - 01:27
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 19.12.2010 at 23:54

Edited because 16-year-old SSUS is dumb

You should check out Znowwhite.

Holy Moses is also mandatory.

There is also a more recent band called Christian Mistress (NWOBHM throwback) which is quite nice (she can't sing for shit, but in a raw, good way).

For doom metal, Acid King is also mandatory.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
20.12.2010 - 09:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 20.12.2010 at 04:44

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 20.12.2010 at 01:27

Unflattering words

There is also a more recent band called Christian Mistress (NWOBHM throwback) which is quite nice (she can't sing for shit, but in a raw, good way).

I am aware of Holy Moses, and I was never too impressed with them. However, as instructed, I looked into Znowhite, Christian Mistress, and Acid King. Christian Mistress wasn't bad; they sound like a combination of Doro and very early Metallica. Acid King was okay as well - very reminiscent of Cathedral. However, I was extremely impressed with Znowhite. That is exactly how I picture Joan Jett on speed.

While I stand by my previous statements, I am always glad to find exceptions.

Generally I agree with you on female vocalists in metal, but do try Détente and Fear Of God (USA)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2010 - 03:31
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2010 at 09:01

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 20.12.2010 at 04:44

I did not know how to trim my quotes when I was 16

I am aware of Holy Moses, and I was never too impressed with them. However, as instructed, I looked into Znowhite, Christian Mistress, and Acid King. Christian Mistress wasn't bad; they sound like a combination of Doro and very early Metallica. Acid King was okay as well - very reminiscent of Cathedral. However, I was extremely impressed with Znowhite. That is exactly how I picture Joan Jett on speed.

While I stand by my previous statements, I am always glad to find exceptions.

Generally I agree with you on female vocalists in metal, but do try Détente and Fear Of God (USA)

I checked out both Detente and Fear of God. I found Fear of God mediocre, but Detente sounded very promising. I will be pursuing them (and Znowhite) to a greater depth. Also, I totally forgot to mention another excellent female metal singer, Federica de Boni of White Skull! I actually completely forgot about her until I saw that she was returning in the news section. Anyway, she has a great voice as well.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
21.12.2010 - 16:46
nehrodwarf

In general yeah, it has too much good female singers at all kinds of musical styles since power metal till extreme thread(angela gossow, arch enemy).

it depends of "band's musical concept" and of the vocalist hability.

of course that exists BAD female vocalists, for ethic reasons I won't write who are, it's rare but exists
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
28.12.2010 - 14:30
JAGEagent

Well the with the metal bands with female vocals that I like, the intrigue of the lady vocalist is a bit of a bonus. I actually dislike the vocals in a lot of metal anyway though, specifically untrue modern metal with whiney American accents that pop punk seemed to have brought into fashion. I'd rather hear the average female metal singer than the kind of male vocals you get in all US pop punk and Ska bands. That sounds irrelevant but the clean vocals in metalcore are often the same as the male vocals I just described and I hate them so much.
02.01.2011 - 11:57
leminyelloblak

You've been struck by a smooth editor

Is Znowhite seriously still around? They were around in the late 80's.
06.01.2011 - 20:29
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by leminyelloblak on 02.01.2011 at 11:57

SSUS talks about opinions

Is Znowhite seriously still around? They were around in the late 80's.

No. Split up long ago. Their music remains though.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
06.01.2011 - 20:36
Kitty

Depends on the vocalist and bad itself.
Female fronted metal (gosh, I hate that tag -__-) isn't all of one piece.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
06.01.2011 - 21:13
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Kitty on 06.01.2011 at 20:36

Female fronted metal (gosh, I hate that tag -__-)

Agree. The gender of the vocalist shouldn't have anything to do with the genre. It really just comes off as sexist.
07.01.2011 - 02:03
Kitty

Written by Xim on 06.01.2011 at 21:13

Agree. The gender of the vocalist shouldn't have anything to do with the genre. It really just comes off as sexist.

Seriously, I don't get it, how can one a take band such as Merlin (the Russian band) and actually try comparing it with... Within Temptation, for that matter? only because both bands have a lead female vocalist?
That's really stupid.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
07.01.2011 - 02:22
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Kitty on 07.01.2011 at 02:03

Seriously, I don't get it, how can one a take band such as Merlin (the Russian band) and actually try comparing it with... Within Temptation, for that matter? only because both bands have a lead female vocalist?
That's really stupid.

Bands like Mythic and Dracena are also female fronted...

Nothing at all like Within Temptation (but then, at this point it is questionable whether this band is actually metal at all).
----
07.01.2011 - 02:27
Kitty

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 07.01.2011 at 02:22

Written by Kitty on 07.01.2011 at 02:03

That's really stupid.

Bands like Mythic and Dracena are also female fronted...

Nothing at all like Within Temptation (but then, at this point it is questionable whether this band is actually metal at all).

Like it or not, it is...
I was just giving examples anyway. The point is, female fronted metal isn't even a real genre, as you've got female vocalists all over metal.
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
08.01.2011 - 23:12
Zenzero
Zenzero
I think that female vocalist are ok for all kind of metal.... Listen to White Skull, I'm talking about the 2 album with Federica Deboni or the last (of 3) with the new female singer (that now it's not in the band anymore).... Ok this is not death or trash, but isn't symphonic too, even if there's some choirs!
09.01.2011 - 06:39
Cappa666

Wow, that was pretty sexist, they can't broadcast the anger of metal ??

There are so many great female vocalists out there, such as:

Som Pluijmers from Cerebral Bore (Brutal Death)
Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy (Melodic Death)
Alissa White-Gluz from The Agonist (Melodic Death)
Cristinia Scabbia from Lacuna Coil (Atmospheric Metal)
Sina Niklas from Orphan Hate (Death Grind)
I could keep on going for hours :-P

Any female vocalist can fit into any style of band. In my opinion, It is a good thing, it's really great to see females getting involved in all types of metal,

And I hope there are alot more great female vocalists to come. \m/
16.01.2011 - 15:11
ANGEL REAPER

Do I like female vocalists in metal bands?
I FUCKIN' LOVE THEM!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
03.02.2011 - 02:39
Sonic MrSumo

Whilst they weren't a metal band (more hardcore punk) the lead singer from The Distillers, Brody Dalle, had an amazing voice. Best female vocals I've heard.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
04.02.2011 - 14:40
Night Sight

I don't like growler women in metal music anymore except angela gossow
but operatic style is great for women and makes a lot of emotion and atmosphere
i think every doom metal and gothic metal band need a woman for the band
because doom metal with female vocalist has a lot of glory
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
04.02.2011 - 21:15
Wintersun616

Totally agree with Night Sight. ^

The best female vocalist ever, if you ask me:

It starts with a male vocalist, though...

06.02.2011 - 02:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Sexist or not - for the most part, I can't stand female vocalists in metal. I know "female-fronted metal" isn't a genre, especially since some female singers are extreme vocalists while others sing clean, just like male vocalists. The fact of the matter is, for me (as in, on a personal level); women, combined with your average metal instrumentation, simply cannot effectively evoke any single emotion in me whatsoever - with the possible exception of frustration due to boredom.

I enjoyed Tarja's vocals on Once (because she wasn't so over-the-top), and Angela from Arch Enemy is a pretty good growler (great live, according to Youtube videos I've seen), but outside of those exceptions...it's just a sea of mediocrity for me.

I like my female vocalists in pop/rock: Pat Benatar, Sinead O'Connor, Bonnie Tyler, Cyndi Lauper, Ann and Nancy Wilson (from Heart), Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, Grace Slick, etc.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.02.2011 - 04:05
Richard

There are numerous examples of great lead female vocals in Metal bands - whether they're extreme, melodic, or a mixture of both. Opera IX, Cadaveria, Thorr's Hammer, Sacrilege, Gallhammer and Crisis spring to mind - and some of those bands have a wide variation of vocal styles. Also there are some damn fine melodic doom bands that have had a lead female vocalist, such as Mourn, Left Hand Solution, Asphodel and Lucubro.
----
06.02.2011 - 14:40
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.02.2011 at 02:18

Sexist or not - for the most part, I can't stand female vocalists in metal. I know "female-fronted metal" isn't a genre, especially since some female singers are extreme vocalists while others sing clean, just like male vocalists. The fact of the matter is, for me (as in, on a personal level); women, combined with your average metal instrumentation, simply cannot effectively evoke any single emotion in me whatsoever - with the possible exception of frustration due to boredom.

I like my female vocalists in pop/rock: Pat Benatar, Sinead O'Connor, Bonnie Tyler, Cyndi Lauper, Ann and Nancy Wilson (from Heart), Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, Grace Slick, etc.

That's pretty much my opinion on the matter.
I have nothing against female singers (I like very much some of the ones you mention) but not in metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
06.02.2011 - 14:57
ANGEL REAPER

I enjoyed Tarja's vocals on Once (because she wasn't so over-the-top), and Angela from Arch Enemy is a pretty good growler (great live, according to Youtube videos I've seen), but outside of those exceptions...it's just a sea of mediocrity for me.

And you preached me about being open minded in "why people hate -core" thread while you are so close minded on this matter ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.02.2011 - 01:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.02.2011 at 14:57

And you preached me about being open minded in "why people hate -core" thread while you are so close minded on this matter ....

Clearly you misunderstand the meaning of open-minded. I would be narrow-minded if I assumed all female-fronted bands were garbage simply because their vocalist is a female. However, I investigated and listened to many female-fronted bands and found that said bands are not to my liking - and not because of a lack of talent, but simply because they do not evoke any emotions blah blah blah I already wrote that crap in the post you quoted.

Speaking of that quoted post, the list of female vocalists that I do enjoy should give you some indication that I'm a little more open-minded than some goon who bashes female vocalists because "they suck". I just happen to enjoy non-metal female-fronted bands - it's called a matter of taste, not narrow-mindedness.

I called you out in the -core thread because you were hating on a genre that was, for all intents and purposes, comparable to the genres you claimed were infinitely superior due to their apparent lack of interest in financial gain.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.02.2011 - 02:08
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.02.2011 at 01:44

Clearly you misunderstand the meaning of open-minded. I would be narrow-minded if I assumed all female-fronted bands were garbage simply because their vocalist is a female. However, I investigated and listened to many female-fronted bands and found that said bands are not to my liking - and not because of a lack of talent, but simply because they do not evoke any emotions blah blah blah I already wrote that crap in the post you quoted.

Speaking of that quoted post, the list of female vocalists that I do enjoy should give you some indication that I'm a little more open-minded than some goon who bashes female vocalists because "they suck". I just happen to enjoy non-metal female-fronted bands - it's called a matter of taste, not narrow-mindedness.

I called you out in the -core thread because you were hating on a genre that was, for all intents and purposes, comparable to the genres you claimed were infinitely superior due to their apparent lack of interest in financial gain.

No man I've clearly said that I DONT HATE anything just I DONT LIKE IT, because (in my opinion) commercialization of genre, in thread which was titled "Why people hate...." Now here you can see how its look like when you prejudge someones opinion ,or you don't understand it at all...
However you insisted on thing that I hate that music and that I am close minded person...
I am not saying that you are close minded person or that you hate female vocalists and I understand that you just dislike them and I respect that,and not even trying to "point you on " some "door" which "is open" like you did...
I respect your opinion on this matter as I expected that you would respect mine on that thread...
I hope you understood me this time...
----
07.02.2011 - 02:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.02.2011 at 02:08

...you are so close minded on this matter ....

I am not saying that you are close minded person

That is why I don't understand you.
----
07.02.2011 - 02:16
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.02.2011 at 02:11

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.02.2011 at 02:08

...you are so close minded on this matter ....

I am not saying that you are close minded person

That is why I don't understand you.

"...you are so close minded on this matter .... " was sentence that should intrigue you to start writing....
And it did it successfully ....
My point was anyway I DIDNT PREACHED YOU NOTHING back than as I dont preach you here (I hate when people trying to preach something to someone,especially if there was just a conflict of opinions )
did you understood now?
----
07.02.2011 - 02:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.02.2011 at 02:16

We're just getting off-topic here. I'll just say I didn't mean to offend you in the other thread, I was just stating my opinion, which conflicted with yours. You have an opinion of me that I don't agree with, and we both know opinions only change if the one with the opinion decides to change it.

I still don't fully understand what you're trying to articulate, but we can discuss it via PM if you feel it necessary to further this discussion. It ends in this thread though, as the conversation is about female vocalists and not our little "quarrel".
----