Metal Storm logo
Do you like female vocalist in metal bands?

Original post

Posted by Paladin, 18.04.2010 - 01:12
I think it is not good.it is better that female vocalist sing in symphonic metal.not like arch enemy vocal in death.I think female vocalist cannot broadcast anger of metal.
12.01.2015 - 05:03
isa.gtr@live.com

Hey Guys!

I like female vocalist, and I am a guitarist. I would like to share with you my music, and hope you like it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilUDxLRI-po

This is my facebook fan Page:
https://www.facebook.com/isaguitar

STAY METAL!!!
28.01.2015 - 11:48
Samedi

Women can broadcast anger of metal just as well as men!

https://www.facebook.com/franticamber
19.02.2015 - 21:40
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Very rarely. I quite like vocalists such as Marta Gabriel and Elisa C. Martin. Most recently I've been really liking Ida Haukland from Triosphere. I don't really enjoy female vocals in bands like Epica, Within Temptation or those sorts of bands. I find it quite boring and samey
20.02.2015 - 00:32
ADIresiduos

Written by Ganondox on 10.01.2015 at 22:05

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2015 at 21:47

Written by Bad English on 10.01.2015 at 16:31
truth , you can not

I would argue that in most cases you can tell the difference based on depth, but there are exceptions with some women being able to hit some guttural lows that make them indistinguishable from their male counterparts.

There are some men who don't go as deep either, so it's not an absolute way of telling. Then there are high pitched screams, where obviously most women have no problem going high.

I do like 'em..... some. I think it's the same with men: some vocalists I like some I don't. I believe it would be kind of boring always hearing male vocalists in metal, knowing that there are very good female metal singers out there; i.e.: the symphonyc ones (at least several of them), the growler from Cripper (way better than a lot of male growlers I've heard), Angela Gossow, Alissa White-Gluz, Lita Ford, Amy Lee, Maria Brink, Morgan Lander, Cristina Scabbia, etc.
27.02.2015 - 03:16
jenniferum

Although I am a woman myself. I admit I don't have many metal bands in my collection with female singers - shame on me! However Nightwish is generally okay - my favorite of their singers was the swedish lady after Tarja Turunen - forgot her name though...
28.02.2015 - 10:36
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by jenniferum on 27.02.2015 at 03:16

- my favorite of their singers was the swedish lady after Tarja Turunen - forgot her name though...

Shh. You'll upset the Tarja fans.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.03.2015 - 17:50
Sang Dalang Abu

Of fuckin' course

13.03.2015 - 19:35
ElizaJupiter

There just aren't enough female metal vocalists. Dr. Mikannibal of Sigh is my personal favorite.
20.04.2015 - 01:56
nuttyflavors

I enjoyed Nightwish's "Wishmaster" epic CD. I can't say I listened to too much metal with female singers though I am familiar with Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Kittie, Theatre of Tragedy, etc.
----
My entire black metal CD collection plus a DVD and some black/death bands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121621202578?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
20.04.2015 - 02:14
angel.
Evil Butterfly
NO ! Of course I do not like women (those weak weird things) in these manly sports. Women must go off to the kitchen and wrap another sandwich for the mummy's boy who is going to wear corpse paint to play tremolo guitars and blast beats at 470 BPM, to make the guy feeling as the most gallant in the world.
----
The Fangirl.
20.04.2015 - 02:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 20.04.2015 at 02:14

NO ! Of course I do not like women (those weak weird things) in these manly sports. Women must go off to the kitchen and wrap another sandwich for the mummy's boy who is going to wear corpse paint to play tremolo guitars and blast beats at 470 BPM, to make the guy feeling as the most gallant in the world.

you forgot cleaning job , washing job and night duty , then this post would be perfect
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2015 - 06:20
Amy

I actually am not very fond of female vocalists especially in harsh vocals or growling because it feels like overcompensation. Some can do this style well but not very many. Another reason why I do not prefer female vocalists is because they get the benefit of a double standard. The other parts of the band could be mediocre or even pure garbage but people would overlook it because they're "so unique" with their female vocalist. If they had a male vocalist of the same caliber these bands would be set aside as generic or even boring. So in the case of Arch Enemy, the reason why I don't like them is because just from assessing the instrumental portions, the band itself does not stand out to me from any other Gothenburg- style melodic death metal band. The reason they get attention is because of their female vocalist. Gothic metal and Symphonic metal seem to work out because they are more melodic genres that work well with classically trained mezzo soprano voices especially since men in melodic metal generally sing in higher octaves, which comes naturally to these particular women.
----
\m/
20.04.2015 - 11:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 20.04.2015 at 02:14

I know, right. I go to netball games every week just to yell at the players to get back in the kitchen.
----
20.04.2015 - 17:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
I don't mind Female/Male/Transgender vocalists... I mean if they can do the fucking job who gives a shit about gender ?

As of female vocalists, there's a bunch I love...
- Sabina Classen from Holy Moses
- Fernanda Lira from Nervosa
- Dawn Crosby (RIP) ex-Fear of God and Détente.
- Laura Pleasants from Kylesa..
(...)

Also I don't agree with the first post ''I think female cannot broadcast anger of metal'', O.o ?? Are you serious ? I mean
Angela Gossow sounded pretty angry in Arch Enemy and so does Sabina in Holy Moses... anyways.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.04.2015 - 20:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Vocalists are vocalists, penis or no. some i like, some i dislike. only "issue" with women in metal is when it becomes a marketing tool or image that matters more than musical output.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.04.2015 - 21:19
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 20.04.2015 at 11:20

I know, right. I go to netball games every week just to yell at the players to get back in the kitchen.

Someone give this man a beer.
----
The Fangirl.
20.04.2015 - 22:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guib on 20.04.2015 at 17:44

Transgender vocalists...

any examples whit out georgy Boy

and Faster Pussy cat singer
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2015 - 22:04
Ilham
Giant robot
The question shouldn't be "are you okay with a little female in your metal?". The OP sounds a little English-limited, I think he meant "do you like female vocals in metal?". Or I fucking hope so.
20.04.2015 - 22:21
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Bad English on 20.04.2015 at 22:00

The person from Cretin. Grind.
20.04.2015 - 22:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 20.04.2015 at 22:21

Written by Bad English on 20.04.2015 at 22:00

The person from Cretin. Grind.

I know a band name, but I dunno much about ... even I don't care, everybody are free do whatever they want , in this case only matters good band, bad band, real sex , doctor made new sex don't matter to me
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2015 - 22:52
Ilham
Giant robot
You were the one asking .
20.04.2015 - 23:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
I was not saying that I actually know a ''Transgender'' singer I was just stating that I couldn't give less of a shit if a singer was male/female or transgender (if there would be).
It really does not matter to me, at all... I think it's ridiculous to formulate an opinion of a singer (skill-wise) based on gender.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.04.2015 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 20.04.2015 at 22:52

You were the one asking .

some ppl might misunderstood me
----

apos;'
[image]
21.04.2015 - 03:26
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by deadone on 21.04.2015 at 03:23

Also I don't agree with the first post ''I think female cannot broadcast anger of metal'', O.o ?? Are you serious ? I mean
Angela Gossow sounded pretty angry in Arch Enemy and so does Sabina in Holy Moses... anyways.

Angela never sounded angry or even aggressive to me - but then neither do a lot of melodic death metal bands who are mostly timid. Fuck most metal is not very angry these days - as Ilham and I discussed, you've got to go hardcore (or grind) to get any authentic in your face energy.

I actually think chicks can sound more angry/aggressive than blokes. Sabinna Classen (Holy Moses) is a great example.

Another is Kat Bjelland out of Babes In Toyland who sounds dementedly aggressive and far more ugly than most male singers. Basically she sounds pissed

I actually think the early 1990s were a great time for aggressive female vocalists and bands - not only Babes In Toyland but Courtney Love (Hole), L7, PJ Harvey, Veruca Salt etc etc as well as the underground Riotgrrrl act. Even Nu-metal had Kittie (not my cup of tea but they belted it out) and Coal Chamber had a female member.

It's a damning inditement on the chauvinistic nature of metal that when females started entering the genre en masse, it was as pretty things with pretty vocals (e.g. Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil). And then very often the press and the fans themselves talk about the hottest chick in metal. Fuck what century do we live in? And the whole "pretty girl metal" was led by the mother fucking Europeans at that - so much for enlightened fucking Western Europe! Fucking pathetic!

I want the girls to be part of metal and play violent, aggressive, in your face headbanging metal. I want them to scream, growl, play awesome riffs and smash the shit out of drum kits.

But then I want the whole of metal to be this. Fuck the pretty shit off!

I completely agree with you, though I always found that Angela had quite aggressive vocals, but w/e let's not debate on that haha.
At least we agree that Sabina does.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.04.2015 - 06:06
Mattybu

And then very often the press and the fans themselves talk about the hottest chick in metal. Fuck what century do we live in?

A century like every other one of human existence where men consider attractiveness when they look at women. I don't see anything wrong with talking about that. There's a thread about it on here too.

A lot of women fiend over sexy guys in metal as well and I've never heard of that being criticized before.
21.04.2015 - 11:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

It's a damning inditement on the chauvinistic nature of metal that when females started entering the genre en masse, it was as pretty things with pretty vocals

Probably why Sinergy were never as big as they should have been Kimberly Goss didn't sing and look pretty enough.
----
23.04.2015 - 11:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by deadone on 21.04.2015 at 03:30

Written by Guib on 21.04.2015 at 03:26

I completely agree with you, though I always found that Angela had quite aggressive vocals, but w/e let's not debate on that haha.

I think Angela was fine for Arch Enemy and I think she's done more for girls in metal than the Nightwishes and Within Temptations and Lacuna Coils which promote crappy stereotypes of pretty things who sing pretty.

1th BW was diferent pure gothic, mid 90's stuff when true gothic metal and gothic doom was underground, real, when male and female vox was mixed old ToT, Flowing Tears Abd Whitered Flowers etc
----

apos;'
[image]
31.05.2015 - 01:34
scorn

I think Angela was fine for Arch Enemy and I think she's done more for girls in metal than the Nightwishes and Within Temptations and Lacuna Coils which promote crappy stereotypes of pretty things who sing pretty.

Leather Leone has done more for metal than any of the aforementioned.
31.05.2015 - 14:36
Lethrokai

I just prefer female vox in general tbh, though that may be what unlimited exposure to art pop has done to me. Goddamn Fiona Apple...
Also...

So yeah, I feel like female vocals can bring quite an interesting dynamic/variety to metal which, if done right, can be downright phenominal. They aren't all hits, but when they make it...
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
31.05.2015 - 16:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by scorn on 31.05.2015 at 01:34

Leather Leone has done more for metal than any of the aforementioned.

Doro has done more for female vocals in metal than anyone around in metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996