07. Welcome Princess Of Hell
08. To One Far Away
09. Come To The Sabbath
10. Death Kiss [demo] [2007 reissue bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1984: 3
Top 200 albums of all time: 99

Additional info
Produced by Henrik Lund.
Engineered by Henrik Lund and Niels Erik Otto.
Recorded and mixed at Easy Sound Recording, Copenhagen, May 1984.
Cover art by Thomas Holm/Studio Dzyan.

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
1984 was an interesting year for metal which saw the birth of peak albums like Iron Maiden's Powerslave and Metallica's Ride The Lightning, as well as offerings from Dio like The Last In Line and Metal Church's self-titled debut. Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath was easily the darkest and heaviest album out of that group. The band would finally peak with the original lineup to bring us an album that showcased everyone's talents. From King's behemoth satanic prayer Don't Break The Oath to Timi Hansen's relentless driving bass lines in Night Of The Unborn, the band would make their mark in history as a serious black metal act. It's unfortunate that the world would have to wait nearly ten years before the band would return again in 1993.

Read more ››
published 17.06.2008 | Comments (40)

Found in 72 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 56   Visited by: 1322 users
31.03.2015 - 21:54
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.03.2015 at 21:11

Nightmare is cheesy as all hell, easily the worse song on the album. Except when King goes "YOU'RE ONLY LIVING... ON BORROWED TIME!"

To be fair, everything that King does is cheesy as hell
31.03.2015 - 23:06
Rating: 10
musclassia

I can see why the vocals could totally up people off, and I don't think it's all that sinister, but to be honest I don't listen to it for sinister-ness. A Dangerous Meeting, Desecration of Souls and Night of the Unborn have some great riffs and grooves with some really ace vocals, the main riff in The Oath is just killer, and Gypsy is fun as hell. I've definitely come to prefer this one to Melissa, which suffers for me in having its strongest material clustered in the first half, whilst this one at least has Gypsy and Come To The Sabbath later on.
01.04.2015 - 20:04
musclassia

Was inspired to listen to it again, argh Nightmare is such a great song in terms of riffs, structures, solos and those really cool "wooahohoaahohoooh wooahoohaaaohah" bits towards the end, and then there's those stupid "you're insane" playground chants that fuck up enverything.

Ah man I'm pretty sure if I had to take only one album from every genre to some desert island this would be my heavy metal album (although Abigail and Iron Maiden might debate that), thankfully I am on the love side as far as the marmite vocals go, the song structures are great and there's enough killer grooves and interesting solo work that anytime I get burned out of guitar riffs and solos I'm sure I can use this album to re-energise.

And finally, even He-Man digs Gypsy:
07.10.2015 - 19:34
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by musclassia on 01.04.2015 at 20:04

And finally, even He-Man digs Gypsy:

Hahahaha very good
21.11.2017 - 17:23
MMizfall

Best metal album ever!!!!!!!!!!!
23.06.2019 - 15:07
Metren
Dreadrealm
I think Melissa is a great album, but I actually like Don't Break The Oath quite a bit more. This is one of the all-time greatest metal albums for sure, for its songwriting alone. As a relatively young person born in 1989, I can only imagine how much more influential and impressive it must've been back when it was released. A 10/10, no mistake.

Also, the vocals are absolutely perfect for this type of music.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
28.11.2020 - 00:03
Metal Rasputin

One of the best metal albums ever. The songwriting and the riffs are just flawless. My only issue here is King's vocal performance, which hadn't matured yet at this point. Regardless, Don't Break the Oath is the creme de la creme of its kind, a desert island record, masterpiece and must own for everybody. If there are any other positive superlative words I'm missing, it's everything that and more.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
28.11.2020 - 00:18
Rating: 9
Redel

Written by Metal Rasputin on 28.11.2020 at 00:03

If there are any other positive superlative words I'm missing, it's everything that and more.

I guess there cannot be many.
For me only slightly outperformed by Melissa.
23.02.2021 - 23:50
frequenzangriff

It's a trully brilliant and timeless album, ahead of its time, the beggining of black metal with some dark lyrics.

i will still be listening to this when i hit my 80's (that if i ever grow so old lmao)
06.04.2021 - 18:32
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
This album is a true classic, and so was Melissa, but I slightly prefer this one only because it contains some of my favourite songs by MF, which are Come to the Sabbath, Dangerous meeting, Gypsy and The Oath.

What stood out most for me was the guitar solo's by La Roque, which were outstanding, also the great old school heavy metal riffs, and I enjoyed the sinister lyrics, even if at times they came across as bit cheesy, but Ķing Diamond has such an incredible and unique vocal range, that hw can pull it off, to me he is one of the most talented vocalists in metal.

I need to start listening to their later stuff as I've only heard the first two MF albums. I also need to listen KD solo albums as I've only heard Abigail, which really impressed me, if anyone has any recommendations?
06.04.2021 - 19:35
nikarg

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 06.04.2021 at 18:32

if anyone has any recommendations?

I am not a big fan of KD's vocals but all the albums up to -and including- The Eye are very good. For MF, I cannot say because I haven't paid much attention to the '90s albums.
14.01.2022 - 15:46
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Incredible catchy guitar-work complement the eerie screams of the legendary King Diamond to fulfill these sinister, satanic anthems!

I'm not sure if I prefer this or Melissa. I suppose that the songs here are more expertly composed, but I think Melissa as an album flows a bit better.

Either way, both of these Mercyful Fate albums are extraordinary! It's a shame that the band broke up after this great run. King Diamond's solo project is also good, but less intense and thrashy as early Mercyful Fate

It's hard to choose favorites here, but I especially like the songs: A Dangerous Meeting, The Oath, Come to the Sabbath, Desecration of Souls, and Gypsy, although all of the songs are fun
14.01.2022 - 15:54
JoHn Doe

^ Now I want to find some time to listen to both Mercyful Fate and some King Diamond albums.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
14.01.2022 - 18:39
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by JoHn Doe on 14.01.2022 at 15:54

^ Now I want to find some time to listen to both Mercyful Fate and some King Diamond albums.

Have fun! I was introduced to King Diamond through "A Dangerous Meeting" (in summer of 2020 I think?). I really liked that song, but I didn't like the vocals enough to explore more other than "Welcome Home" off of his album Them.

Early this week, walking in the freezing, foggy morning over the university campus, I decided to turn on Mercyful Fate's Melissa. I wasn't too fond of the vocals but I loved the riffs - and I was blown away by the epic "Satan's Fall". After finishing the album, I listened to it again - and again. Each time it got better and I enjoyed the funny vocals more.

Then I checked out Abigail from his solo project. I first wasn't too impressed, but after a couple of listens I really enjoyed the elegant melodic riffs by LaRocque.

After that, I listened to all of Don't Break the Oath and it was great! I loved returning to the more aggressive style that was introduced on Melissa - and now perfected here!

So yeah, I just binged those three King Diamond classics in a couple of days and have not regretted one bit! The melodies and singing are stuck in my head, and I'm ready to explore some more King Diamond!
14.01.2022 - 19:40
JoHn Doe

Written by F3ynman2000 on 14.01.2022 at 18:39

Written by JoHn Doe on 14.01.2022 at 15:54

Have fun! I was introduced to King Diamond through "A Dangerous Meeting" (in summer of 2020 I think?). I really liked that song, but I didn't like the vocals enough to explore more other than "Welcome Home" off of his album Them.

Early this week, walking in the freezing, foggy morning over the university campus, I decided to turn on Mercyful Fate's Melissa. I wasn't too fond of the vocals but I loved the riffs - and I was blown away by the epic "Satan's Fall". After finishing the album, I listened to it again - and again. Each time it got better and I enjoyed the funny vocals more.

Then I checked out Abigail from his solo project. I first wasn't too impressed, but after a couple of listens I really enjoyed the elegant melodic riffs by LaRocque.

After that, I listened to all of Don't Break the Oath and it was great! I loved returning to the more aggressive style that was introduced on Melissa - and now perfected here!

So yeah, I just binged those three King Diamond classics in a couple of days and have not regretted one bit! The melodies and singing are stuck in my head, and I'm ready to explore some more King Diamond!

I've been listening to Mercyful Fate and King Diamond since the 90s. I loved the vocals instantly, they're over the top, but I loved them.

Time is what I do not have, but I will trying and listen a bit.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
03.11.2023 - 05:47
majormalfunction

This album is truly a beast. I love how all the songs have a lot of twists and turns while still maintaining a excellent flow. There's a lot of hooks on this one as well, which I always appreciate.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
03.11.2023 - 13:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I will have to put this on in the car today. I’ve tried in the past but I don’t really jive with KD’s vocal work.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.11.2023 - 14:06
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.11.2023 at 13:33

I will have to put this on in the car today. I’ve tried in the past but I don’t really jive with KD’s vocal work.

His theatrical vocals are certainly a required taste, I personally like them, but I also hear many who haven't been able to take to him.
16.01.2024 - 10:17
Rating: 4
24emd
Theory Snob
Please nobody get offended by my rating - but can someone explain why this was considered first wave of black metal? The lyrics seem like the only part of it vaguely akin to black metal.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
16.01.2024 - 10:20
JoHn Doe

Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.11.2023 at 13:33

Not a band to listen to while driving IMO.
----
16.01.2024 - 13:35
JoHn Doe

Written by 24emd on 16.01.2024 at 10:17

Please nobody get offended by my rating

why the low rating though?! Is it the vocals?
----
16.01.2024 - 16:03
Rating: 4
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by JoHn Doe on 16.01.2024 at 13:35

The vocals are most certainly part of it. There is one style he does which I find just fine, but most of it is downright unbearable. Outside of the vocals, I just don't find a lot of enjoyment in it, most of it's just pretty eh, with terrible lyrics. 4 is probably a little harsh though, I know I have Melissa at a 5, so that might change if I give this another shot.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
16.01.2024 - 16:09
JoHn Doe

Written by 24emd on 16.01.2024 at 16:03

Written by JoHn Doe on 16.01.2024 at 13:35

The vocals are most certainly part of it. There is one style he does which I find just fine, but most of it is downright unbearable. Outside of the vocals, I just don't find a lot of enjoyment in it, most of it's just pretty eh, with what I perceive as terrible lyrics. 4 is probably a little harsh though, I know I have Melissa at a 5, so that might change if I give this another shot.

I've never had a problem with KD's vocals, I understand why some dislike them, he is an acquired taste I guess.
----
16.01.2024 - 16:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by JoHn Doe on 16.01.2024 at 10:20

I listen to a ton of music while driving, especially on longer road trips. Doesn't get more relaxing IMO.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.01.2024 - 16:27
JoHn Doe

Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.01.2024 at 16:16

Written by JoHn Doe on 16.01.2024 at 10:20

I listen to a ton of music while driving, especially on longer road trips. Doesn't get more relaxing IMO.

You misunderstood. Listening to music while driving is great, but certain kind of music/bands don't go well with driving.
I don't think I can drive listening to King Diamond or Mercyful Fate, as much as I enjoy them.
----
26.01.2024 - 17:44
nonZero

I remember listening to this back in the early 2010's and couldn't stand the vocals, now I appreciate how unique they are on this album! I definitely prefer this one to Melissa (8.6/10).

9.1/10 for me - 'A Dangerous Meeting' is the standout track. 'Gypsy' and 'Come to the Sabbath' are both also fantastic.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 24933 | This month: 83