Metal Storm logo
Drum N' Bass

10.08.2006 - 03:45
THE MASTER
Account deleted
Well I've been intrested in this gener for quite alot of time...and I've come along with some great stuff.
Anyway I need alot of recomindations about good Drum N' Base artists.
So Give me alot of artists and you fav' tracks
12.08.2006 - 23:59
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
I'm not really into the genre but I certainly can appreciate it and it's probably my most favo genre in the whole electronic dance genre...

I can strongly recommend you DJ Marky Mark ("Best New DJ" of 1999) and his mixed album "The Brazilian Job". It is some easy-listening DnB and an album I like very much. LK (Carolina Carol Bela) and Bad Company - Four Days are my favo parts of that album

Some other (pretty) good bands I know from some songs are Aphex Twin, Nu:Tone, London Elektricity, Roni Size and Ed Rush, but that's about all I know about Drum N Bass...
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.08.2006 - 03:43
KryptoN
imperceptible
Check out Pendulum's "Hold Your Color" and Venetian Snares' "Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett" (both are album titles). I don't know much about dnb but I really like these albums.
14.08.2006 - 13:55
Misantrophil
Account deleted
Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares are not drum & bass.They are IDM(intelligent dance music),but they are really awesome fantastic music.Pendulum is also very good but there sound is fusion of break beat and Drum & bass
14.08.2006 - 14:41
KryptoN
imperceptible
Well as I said I don't know much about dnb. But Venetian Snares' latest album shows quite a lot of tendency towards dnb (none of their other albums are like that), my friend who's a big(?) fan of dnb said that so I just took his word for it. But meh, I could care less really...
14.08.2006 - 22:07
THE MASTER
Account deleted
Thanks alot for the advices I'll check them all out
16.08.2006 - 13:20
lordz
IzZo
I love D&B

Check out DJ WIldchild he is amazing
09.09.2006 - 22:59
danzig111
Account deleted
Drum N' Bass? isn't that like techno without the keyboards?
10.09.2006 - 23:05
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 09.09.2006 at 22:59

Drum N' Bass? isn't that like techno without the keyboards?

Wiki says : "Drum and bass (commonly abbreviated to as DnB, drum n bass and drum & bass) is a type of electronic dance music also known as jungle.

Its most recognizable features are fast tempo (160-180 BPM) broken beat drums with loud intricate basslines.

In spite of its specific characteristics which would appear to limit its variety, drum and bass is a very varied musical style, ranging from laid back jazzy tracks like Roni Size's "Brown Paper Bag" to radio friendly dance track's like Shy FX's "Shake Ur Body" to ragga influenced rude bwoy tracks like Chase & Status' "2 Tone Sound" to atmospheric and moody tracks like 4 Hero's "Mr Kirk's Nightmare" to extremely fast, forbidding & aggressive techstep tracks like Technical Itch's "Stealth". This is only a sample of its variety, which could be compared to that of jazz.

It began as an offshoot of the United Kingdom breakbeat hardcore and rave scene and came into existence in the early 1990s. Over the first decade of its existence, drum and bass saw many permutations in style, incorporating everything from reggae, hiphop, jazz, techno, house, funk and metal to trance."

And you can read an extensive history of the genre here

And http://www.intuitivemusic.com define DnB as :

Genre based on the used of speed hip hop breakbeats (160-180 bpm) combined with half-tempo subsonic bass lines. Drum 'N' bass is the result of the development of the jungle style during the mid 90's by the hand of several DJs and producers from the Metalheadz collective in London, such as Goldie, Fabio, Grooverider, Kemistry and Storm. By 1996 the most popular drum 'n' bass styles in the clubs were hardstep and jump-up, but the genre reached the mainstream popularity with Roni Size's Repracement debut album "New Forms" in 1997, winning the UK's Mercury Prize.
During the late 90's drum' N' bass developed into different forms, including drillbience, and artcore.
----
11.09.2006 - 00:07
danzig111
Account deleted
oh yes wikipedia, i should've known. thanks

but it incorporates Metal too? damn.
11.09.2006 - 12:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i hate the commercial "DIY easy" drum n bass,if you get me
but for the whole genre,i don't know.i haven't heard that much dnb outside the everyday dnb i hear
11.09.2006 - 16:48
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Voivod have a really cool d'n'b remix of Nanoman on their compilation album Kronik. Really good stuff, its actually better than the original version.
11.09.2006 - 18:25
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
@ jupitreas : the "Nanoman" remix is great and indeed better in a different way than the original.

Also Shellshock combines Drum 'N' Bass with Metal. It's sometimes pretty hazardous, but still a great example of the fusion between the two genres. Check them out at http://www.myspace.com/shellshockuk!! I find the third song (Insight Demo Version) pretty awesome actually.

I also read somewhere Alec Empire and Christoph De Babalon did some experiments with Metal and D'n'B.
----
11.09.2006 - 21:02
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
As a matter of fact, one of the first, if not the first, fusions of metal and drum'n'bass was by the band Pitchshifter with their EP "Infotainment" and then the LP "www.pitchshifter.com" (the latter of which was less metallic and more punk oriented, although the drum'n'bass element was still very prominent). Bands like Scorn and Godflesh also experimented with d'n'b at some points in their careers although that is not particularly surprizing since those guys usually experiment with whatever is new and exciting at the time. KMFDM also had a brief interest in d'n'b, most notably on Adios and MDFMK.

Alec Empire/Atari Teenage Riot is digital hardcore, which is basically a style fusing the most extreme forms of rock and electronica (mostly electronica tho). So yeah, they used some d'n'b elements in there, along with jungle, hardcore techno, speed metal, gabber etc....
11.11.2006 - 13:18
Lorien
Account deleted
Well, of all the electro stuffs I like Drum N' Base the best one
Simply it makes you move baby I don't know any artist or smth like that
Just like to hear it when I go on some parties etc
02.07.2007 - 11:01
~IAMLEGEND~
Account deleted
Oh

If you want to listen to great D&B work, you have to check out Dieselboy's "The Dungeonmaster's Guide". There is such excellent work on that cd.

I also would recommend stuff from Pendulum.
16.07.2007 - 00:43
Remus
I tried listening to this drum n bass thing and it's horrid. My brother has this cd "Drum n Bass from another Space" with like these hippies on the cover - it looks like some sort of cult getting ready to comitt mass suicide. But the music was almost the same, i mean the same beat interpreted in different ways and it had nothing to it. I don't know but it's not for me!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
21.07.2007 - 22:59
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Klute is pretty good. Maybe you'd like Squarepusher? I don't really like him.
24.08.2007 - 11:01
vusza
Why is this genre so popular? I never understood.
----
No guts, no glory.
22.10.2019 - 14:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So... What are some good drum'n bass album recs?

I've been digging on the genre and so far found only one album I genuinely liked (coincidentally from a metal label)...
Most of the time I feel like drum'n bass is a genre about making a big hit which is a killer track and then filling the rest of the album with fillers

Any recs on good albums rather than tracks?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.10.2019 - 08:42
Cass
I don't know any, I had period with D'n'B but I forget most of these artist. Spor have some good tracks, first Pendulum album is quite good, this track is my fav from this gengre propably