14. Distance [Drop's Electric Enhancement] [bonus]

Disc II [DVD]
+ Extended studio footage
+ High-definition drum video
+ Video gallery

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Soilwork have been plodding along with their melodeath for 15 years now, with seven more or less successful albums under their belts. They have never reached stardom and recognition that Dark Tranquillity or In Flames have enjoyed, but their music has always been solid and well executed: thrash metal mixed with some elements of death metal, adulterated by clear, smooth production and spiced up by harsh vocals. With every album they incorporated subtle changes and additions, refining their sound. The brand of originality isn't quite there yet, and probably never will be, but Soilwork is an enjoyable band nevertheless.

Read more ››
published 15.08.2010 | Comments (28)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 650 users
21.04.2010 - 00:06
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
I dunno...I have a good feeling about this one
21.04.2010 - 06:46
The review said its going to be every bit as good as we want it to
21.04.2010 - 18:35
FeskarN
Hope it's better then the last album witch was a huge disappointment for me.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
06.05.2010 - 19:08
Baz Anderson
Staff
I got it today. It sounds ok...
It is melodic death metal that I'm not cringing to turn off... which is saying something.
13.05.2010 - 05:15
Baz where did you get the soilwork album?? I need to know now
07.06.2010 - 15:14
Aetherius
God i hope its good!!
07.06.2010 - 23:16
MeloDeathViking
Written by dieforopeth00 on 13.05.2010 at 05:15

Baz where did you get the soilwork album?? I need to know now

He probably got it to review from the label, not in stores.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
07.06.2010 - 23:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yes, the label.
02.07.2010 - 09:29
Lachy
Account deleted
Im two tracks through and im loving it
02.07.2010 - 11:13
Prisoner
Account deleted
I'm disappointed!
03.07.2010 - 13:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Pretty freekin lame album. The songwriting is non-existent, Bjorn Strid should be fired he cant growl at all anymore and theres no variation in his growls. The only good thing on this album is Witchers' solos (which are awesome) and the drummer is pretty good as well.
04.07.2010 - 17:34
Mikyz
They're losing their melodic death metal roots and turning towards a more alternative, nu-metal kind of sounds, but I still find it much better than the previous two releases. The solos are also pretty solid, all in all this is a good/not-so-great release.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
04.07.2010 - 20:41
Bulletbeast
Man..... if only the vocals were better. Bjorn's like afraid to growl now or somethin.. damnit. Still better then their last one
04.07.2010 - 21:13
Rating: 8
Therapy?
I don't get why you people are complaining about the growls... I've been comparing some songs with Natural Born Chaos songs and I don't think the growls are less awesome.

Anyways, I really like this album! Especially after their previous release which gave me a heavy "been there, done that" feeling and is the least-played soilwork album in my arsenal. The songs are more melodic, and I like that because currently I'm all into that stuff Although I don't think Soilwork will ever come back to the level of Natural Born Chaos, this album is awesome!

I also really like the bonus track, which is a remix of "Distance". My favourite song from Stabbing The Drama.

Favourite song from this album: "Two Lives Worth Of Reckoning"
05.07.2010 - 16:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If there's one good thing about this album it's that it shows that Stabbing The Drama is pretty damn solid.
06.07.2010 - 04:15
Rating: 9
MetalFreak
I'm happy with this one, I'll be buying this when it hits America.
06.07.2010 - 12:55
Irinel
I'm happy too ! It's some kind of ascension.
07.07.2010 - 20:35
chaosscizzors
Account deleted
At least it was better than the last album. lol
10.07.2010 - 10:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm, just finished listening to this, and Im a bit underwhelmed tbh...

Most of the melodic parts do not stick in my head, which is what they should do. The 2 standout tracks are the opener "Late For The Kill, Early For The Slaughter", and the absolutely crushing "Deliverance Is Mine" which reminds me a lot of The Haunted. In no small part due to the fact that Bjorn's shouted vocals sound a lot like Peter Dolving.

The new guitarist Sylvian Coudret plays some great solos, and is a very good addition to the band. Overall, its a decent album, but nothing mindblowing.
11.07.2010 - 07:06
Rating: 6
hadriel
Very meh, nothing really interesting here, but didn't really expect much from this album. Deliverance is Mine is decent, a couple of other ok tracks near the end too.
11.07.2010 - 17:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by hadriel on 11.07.2010 at 07:06

Very meh, nothing really interesting here, but didn't really expect much from this album. Deliverance is Mine is decent, a couple of other ok tracks near the end too.

Yep, I also like the last track.
15.07.2010 - 11:38
Rating: 3
sanpopo
Disappointment of the year!

without any doubt, this is the WORST Soilwork's album. obviously they have been staying in america for such a long time. u don't have to question about it. they promote the fact with the product. this is not melodic death metal, it's metalcore, pure fucking metalcore, and it's not some good metalcore like Unearth. it's one of the most mechanical, lamest metal music u have heard before. i guess no one has told these guys that nu-metal and metalcore scene has gone melted down and we don't need another motherfucking metalcore band!

anyone who thinks this album is good, please do yourself a favor, go listen to "the chainheart machine" and APP, or u won't know what u r missing and what these guys r capable of. this is not Soilwork.
----
The End of All Things to Come
15.07.2010 - 11:42
Rating: 3
sanpopo
But i do love speed's voice. he has a fantastic voice. one of the greatest singer in the world!
----
The End of All Things to Come
17.07.2010 - 23:37
wildchild
Warchild
In the beginning I was like: mmm, ok.
But right now I just can't stop listening to it. \o/
----
warchildpost.blogspot.com
21.07.2010 - 09:04
dunskii
This album is complete shit to me, the whole reason i listen to soilwork is so that i can get some good melodeath thats not over the top or too light.... this album tells me that soilwork can no longer do this... when i listened through the first few tracks and heard bjorn i was speechless.... its like in flames is happening all over again... i now am completely assured that melodeath is a dead genre
23.07.2010 - 20:58
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by dunskii on 21.07.2010 at 09:04

This album is complete shit to me, the whole reason i listen to soilwork is so that i can get some good melodeath thats not over the top or too light.... this album tells me that soilwork can no longer do this... when i listened through the first few tracks and heard bjorn i was speechless.... its like in flames is happening all over again... i now am completely assured that melodeath is a dead genre
uhh... no. You just don't know which bands to look at
----
loves 小巫
26.11.2010 - 17:55
Rating: 8
Slyfang

which is why you rated the album an 8?
26.11.2010 - 20:12
dunskii
Written by Slyfang on 26.11.2010 at 17:55

which is why you rated the album an 8?

i went back through the album now about 3 months later and can see the way the wanted to change their sound and just didnt get around to changing my rating
01.01.2011 - 18:18
Kropy
Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 9
Atmosphere: 8
Melody: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9
CD Covers: 10

Best Songs:
02. 2 Lives Worth Of Reckoning