08. Die By The Sword
09. Last Man Stands
10. Seasons [acoustic version]
11. Power Of The Ninja Sword [Japanese bonus]
12. Cry Thunder [Live rehearsal] [digital edition bonus]
13. Heart Of The Storm [alternative chorus version] [digital edition bonus]
14. Avant La Tempête [digital edition bonus]

Additional info
There will also be a digital and vinyl version featuring bonus tracks "Cry Thunder" (Live Rehearsal), "Heart Of The Storm" (Alternative Chorus Version) and "Avant La Tempête" (Instrumental), plus an exclusive box set featuring: CD version, access code for bonus material, plus DragonForce flag, DF flashlight/bottle opener and a set of 6 DF beer mats featuring band cartoons by bassist Frédéric Leclercq.

Guest review by
Nemo Atkins
Rating:
DragonForce are one of those bands who everyone seems to know about, yet next to no one admits to like. I'll admit, before The Power Within was released, I was in this group: Inhuman Rampage bored me to death and I didn't want to touch anything else they'd released because I'd heard that there wasn't a lot of variety in them. As such, I was prepared to dismiss this album, which wasn't helped by "Fallen World" sounding so much like a typical DragonForce song that I barely noticed the new singer. And then "Cry Thunder" was released...well, that changed everything, as I genuinely loved that song and made me eager to get it. Now I have this album, I have to say that I'm very glad that I got it, as it's very good: in fact, I would be prepared to argue that it is one of the best power metal releases for 2012.

Read more ››
published 30.07.2012 | Comments (3)

Guest review by
Darth Revan
Rating:
Ah Dragonforce, the band that gets pulverized with so much flak you'd think they're modern day Metallica... Or Anal Cunt during any period of recording. Dragonforce were actually the first band I listened to on my own initiative, and because of that, I've always had a soft spot for them, but suffice it to say, I'm well aware that most metalheads you'll ask don't like them. Will this album change their minds? Maybe. It's refreshing, but still definitely Dragonforce.

Read more ››
published 28.11.2013 | Comments (2)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1101 users
16.04.2012 - 14:06
Rating: 8
Mountain King
K i K o
The song Seasons is really good...
16.04.2012 - 17:22
3dd

Listen 0:17 to 0:36 to "Fallen World". Holy fucking jesus christ I can die in peace. That's the reason I started playing bass, I fucking love this tone.
16.04.2012 - 19:32
Abel

Written by Nemo Atkins on 02.04.2012 at 20:49

Written by blackend on 02.04.2012 at 19:25

Written by Nemo Atkins on 02.04.2012 at 14:56

Written by blackend on 24.03.2012 at 13:02

After listening to one of Dragonforce's new songs, I have to say this one thing: I'm so over with speed/crap/whatever power metal. this really, and i mean really sucks, even with Marc singing (who is better than ZP), that shit is terrible. R.I.P Speed Power Metal Forver.
I thought maybe they've changed with Marc (like in the song Cry Thunder) but appearently not. a shame.
Anyone who wonders - I've listened to Fallen World.

To be fair to the band, if they did try to do anything particularly different from their usual style, most people would probably bash them for changing their style (also, it doesn't help that, to my (admittedly, very limited) knowledge, ZP didn't really write anything for the band, so it wouldn't change much with him not being there). As one guy on the page for Fallen World streaming put it, "IT'S DRAGONFORCE, there's almost negative zero variation between their albums, much less their songs."

Like to stress, not a hater or a fan of this band: I've probably listened through Inhuman Rampage three times and each time was bored before the fourth song, but appreciate them in small doses (ie one song every day or so).

Edit: Having just found the studio version of "Cry Thunder", I'd recommend you check that out: as impossible as it is for me to say AND believe this, it genuinely sounds different from normal DragonForce, as it is not ridiculously fast and over the top.

I'm not a Dragonforce basher, they were one of my most favorite bands like 2-3 years ago. HOWEVER - My taste really changed during that time, and Dragonforce doesn't seem to genius and glorious as they sounded to me back then.
I do respect them for their speed and all, but that's just too much for my current taste anyway.
P.s. thanks for letting me know about the studio version of Cry Thunder, I think I'm going to download it as the only "The Power Within" song, since it's not THAT insane with all speeds. However, it's just too much Speed metal for my Power metal.
Just a matter of taste, I suppose.
And I like all the slow-tempo ballads they released in earlier releases - much more than all the "Fallen World", "Through the Fire and Flames" sonic speed shit.

Ah, sorry. I've seen so many comments about DragonForce being bad (which, as I mentioned earlier, is not something I really agree or disagree with) that your comment about the lack of change considering the new singer stood out to me. I just wanted to point out that it would be difficult for them to change their style considering how fanbases tend to react and especially how DragonForce have a reputation for sounding the same (which, judging from your mention about them having slow-tempo ballads, is obviously incorrect). As I didn't know you liked any DragonForce, I made an assumption which has turned out to be horribly incorrect. Apologies if this caused you any offence or felt like an attack.

I (out of nowhere) agree in some point with you both. i first heard about DF when I was in Highschool. now i'm in 4th year of college. My taste had change a LOT, from power metal and... virtuosity to stuff like anathema, porcupine tree and riverside. people change and bands also. DF has maintain there title long enough and they're still at it, i don't know whether to feel sorry or admire them more, because the way they started this, there's not a lot of options for them, I still enjoy them of course. I gotta say the new singer has a cleaner voice, ZP doesn't have technique and it's hurting his voice a lot. anyway let's see what happens
17.04.2012 - 03:25
Rating: 9
infernaldeath87

Marc sounds great. This album is phenomenal. Excellent way to bounce back from Ultra Crapfest.
17.04.2012 - 03:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mountain King on 13.04.2012 at 21:07

If I buy every single album I want, I'll get broke lol.

Same for every siingle car or great brilliant meal at a Michelin star restaurant or all the brilliant whiskies and wines I want.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2012 - 08:35
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
I'll admit that Dragonforce has major faults like terrible lyrics and a repetitive sound. But I was blown away by this album for some reason. I love me some Dragonforce, and this album gives me hope that the band is maturing.
17.04.2012 - 12:13
jhcjobpb

Look at this, DragonForce - Fallen World in a game! Such a cool video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIx0McG1Mq8
18.04.2012 - 04:17
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.04.2012 at 08:35

I'll admit that Dragonforce has major faults like terrible lyrics and a repetitive sound. But I was blown away by this album for some reason. I love me some Dragonforce, and this album gives me hope that the band is maturing.

Seasons has pretty average lyrics. Movin' on up! They even mean something.

The acoustic version of Seasons is my favorite. Omg it's beautiful, and there isn't any wanking. I hope they play it live all of the time.
19.04.2012 - 07:51
Snbn

Best album by Dragonforce. At last album that has more power metal songs that hasn't super speed songs ! Seasons is amazing song.
19.04.2012 - 23:08
Rating: 5
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 04:17

Stabby, you're fast becoming one of my favorite people on MS. First, you always crack me up in power metal threads. Second, you also listen to some prog which is, like, a guarantee I'll like a person third, you had that awesome post in the depression thread (I'm too lazy to respond to lol).
Come here, bro
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.04.2012 - 02:51
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 19.04.2012 at 23:08

Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 04:17

Stabby, you're fast becoming one of my favorite people on MS. First, you always crack me up in power metal threads. Second, you also listen to some prog which is, like, a guarantee I'll like a person third, you had that awesome post in the depression thread (I'm too lazy to respond to lol).
Come here, bro

Aww! I like you too, obviously.

I definitely do love the prog, I have just been seriously slacking on it as of late, and music in general. Guess I have to make more of an effort. I'm going to explore Riverside and Pain Of Salvation more. Maybe listen to the older Porcupine Tree albums and newer Dream Theater. If I can make an effort to listen to the new Dragonforce...TWICE, then I can certainly listen to prog.
20.04.2012 - 08:08
Rating: 5
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 02:51

I'm going to explore Riverside and Pain Of Salvation more.

That will be a good thing for your mental health
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.04.2012 - 18:18
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 20.04.2012 at 08:08

Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 02:51

I'm going to explore Riverside and Pain Of Salvation more.

That will be a good thing for your mental health

You bet. Prog is like a brain massage. Power metal is like getting brain-fucked by multiple instruments.
21.04.2012 - 17:25
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I'm not a big PM fan and I've always seen DF as the embodiement of everything that annoys me in this subgenre, but from what I've heard of this album, they are apparently turning into a decent band. Still cheesy, but what do you expect from Power metal anyway? Inhuman Rampage was the last time I paid them attention and the biggest surprise for me this time is that they actually manage to slow down a bit and focus on songwriting instead of burrying every single bit of artistic creativity in a ridiculous amount of notes.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.04.2012 - 19:49
MyNameJeff

What a change! this is actually pretty damn decent!!! new singer is cool
21.04.2012 - 20:36
R Lewis

Thank you, Mark Hudson. You've given new originality to a dead band...
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
26.04.2012 - 11:15
StratoDan1990

This is the best release by Dragonforce (and quite a surprising one!) OK it's still in the style of Dragonforce, but at least these songs have a bit more originality and flow.

The new singer fits well, the musicianship is better - Overall it's a good and impressive effort. Kudos!

Far better than Ultra Letdown.
27.04.2012 - 23:04
Nemo Atkins

Call me wrong, but I think this is the only DragonForce album for which the comments have been almost completely positive. Well, I ain't gonna break that streak: I love this album. Sure, there is some stuff on it that doesn't work as well as the band clearly wanted it to and, at points, some old habits do resurface, but, on the whole, it is a very good album that shows decent progress (which, considering DragonForce's reputation, is particularly impressive). Hope they continue this new direction: if they do, I might be prepared to call myself a DragonForce fan in future.
27.04.2012 - 23:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Aw shit, it is the apocalypse.

I might check this out, but to be honest, I haven't been listening to any new releases all year (sans a couple), so doubtful.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.05.2012 - 18:38
Lit.
Account deleted
Well, I think we found our biggest surprise for this year's MS awards.
04.05.2012 - 18:44
Slayer666

What a typically DragonForce-ish album title.
07.05.2012 - 22:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I was in no rush to hear new Dragonforce material, and so had this album in the category of: "I'll get to it when I get to it".

Dragonforce are a band that are generally roundly derided and ridiculed around these parts (probably overdone, though not totally without justification), so I was very surprised to see the amount of positive comments towards the new album here.

After finally having my first listen to it, can I go along with the overwhelmingly positive vibe for this new DF work? Well, I've long felt that Dragonforce are a band with a huge amount of potential due to the obvious talent of the band members. But generally, their material has suffered a lot from constant OTT theatrics, which has made much of their songs seem more like a showcase for the outrageous guitar showboating of Herman and Sam, than real, cohesive songs.

What I can say is, this album is definitely, without doubt, a step (and quite a big step to be fair) in the right direction of the band finally fulfilling the promise they've always shown, but never really fully delivered on. In saying that, there is still quite some room for improvement, and the issues that plagued previous DF albums (with the possible exception of the debut), whilst definitely hemmed in, do still rear up ocassionally to detract, rather than add to the songs.

The main positives of the album are the moments that contrast wildly with standard DF fare, in a way that adds a freshness and much needed variety to their sound. A perfect example of this is in the mid-section of "Give Me The Night" which features a bonecrushing (and totally un-power metal) riff, followed by a ghostly keyboard passage by Vadim, which hugely adds to the song, and gives it a very progressive touch. "Seasons" finds the overindulgence DF is known for almost completely reigned-in, giving way to a much more standard mid-paced brand of melodic metal that sounds so refreshing on a DF album, which also features a surprising, but awesome outro guitar solo by bassist Frederic (which sadly is given the fade-out treatment, and far too soon!). Who also penned the song completely on his own. Fred needs to write more material for DF! The acoustic version of this song is arguably even more great than the standard album version too.

"Die By The Sword" is another stand-out cut, with it's marauding riffing and captivating melodies, plus a very subdued solo that works so well for the song.

I'll give it another listen or two before giving a rating to it, but this album definitely gives me hopes that DF can finally deliver the goods that a band with their talents should be producing. This isn't the final product, but more improvements and cutting out the still niggling flaws could finally produce a classic power metal album by Dragonforce yet!
08.05.2012 - 20:11
Illog1cal
Account deleted
I was really impressed by the solo in Die by the Sword, I did not think Herman could come up with something like that, its kind of beautiful.
08.05.2012 - 23:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 08.05.2012 at 20:11

I was really impressed by the solo in Die by the Sword, I did not think Herman could come up with something like that, its kind of beautiful.

The solo from 2:28-3:05 is played by Sam, then the rest of it is played by Herman.

When the guys play tastefully like that, I think that's far more a showcase for their talents, than the OTT stuff. The OTT stuff has it's place, but I really hope from now on, they use that sparingly.
15.05.2012 - 19:27
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.05.2012 at 23:01

Written by Guest on 08.05.2012 at 20:11

The solo from 2:28-3:05 is played by Sam, then the rest of it is played by Herman.

When the guys play tastefully like that, I think that's far more a showcase for their talents, than the OTT stuff. The OTT stuff has it's place, but I really hope from now on, they use that sparingly.

Ah sorry, I'm not really a big Dragonforce fan. I was impressed by Sam's part then, Herman's section was ok too.
01.06.2012 - 23:07
Vikcen
Metálico
Very good, i like very much, but still in my opinion Valley Of The Damned and Sonic Firestorm are better works.
02.06.2012 - 18:47
Luneth
Account deleted
Just when I had given up on DF this comes out...I hope the Eldar Gods forgive me.
08.07.2012 - 23:50
Baz Anderson

I only just got round to listening to this... I was originally put off by the new singer - but I'm glad I finally did listen to it. Fantastic album... "Die By The Sword" is so good.
31.08.2012 - 00:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
In the end it is not that bad, as i was afraid...still far from being really awesome...plus the new vocalist seems worse to me...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.10.2012 - 21:58
Rating: 10
Darken Rahl

This is in my opinion, the best album i have heard in 2012 so far with the new In Flames album coming in at a close second.

Hits total: 25180 | This month: 23