03. A Minute's Piece
04. The Widdershins Jig
05. Our Dying Island
06. Pagan Man
07. The Cradle Will Fall
08. Skyclad
09. Moongleam And Meadowsweet
10. Terminus

The first Skyclad album, one of the pioneers of the style called Folk Metal were not so folky at the beginning, as a matter of fact, is hard to know is the same band that we love and enjoy, but this record has more that ten years old, and things tend to change after that much time.

Even if this album is not the Skyclad we know, is really good, here we get a glimpse of the heavier, thrashier roots of the band. Songs are really heavy and loud, build under a wall off Thrash riffs and aggressive vocals. From the opener "The Sky Beneath My Feet" I was shocked to hear this kind of heaviness here, I was expecting more happy creatures and wood people, instead I got angry warriors with swords and chain mails. Other fine example of this could be my favorite song in the album, "Our Dying Island", a fast paced song with catchy hooks all over and great melodic aggression in every single note. God I love the raspy vocals of Martin Walkyier.

The only real Folk Metal song in the record is "The Widdershins Jig" song that employs violins and tin whistles, a original element if you consider that this was released back in 1991, I bet many people were shocked back then to hear those kind of elements in Metal.

The question that pops up now is, Did Skyclad invented Folk Metal? And if not... how many bands had the creativity and balls to use this kind of elements in their songs? I don't know any, maybe you know? If you do, please tell me.

A heavier Skyclad, much more dense and less folky, that's what you're gonna get when you purchase this, a damn fine record from a band that was about to create a whole new genre that ten years later would become very popular.

Written by Undercraft | 07.10.2004

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 57 users
28.04.2010 - 05:50
Rating: 7
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Im really surprised at the lack of comments for this album! The review is correct, this album is totally different from the direction that the band took for the remainder of their albums. However its still great! It totally shatters any stigma that people might have about folk metal bands being flower sniffing pansies. Wayward Sons of Mother Earth is the best (probably the only) thrashy folk metal album ever made. Totally worth a few listens!

favs: Widdershins Jig & Our Dying Island
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
24.08.2015 - 03:12
Rating: 9
Morphis

Totally agree with you! First time I listen to Skyclad was in 97 with Answer Machine and it quickly have grown on me.

When I got to this album was strange at first but after a closer listening and reading of the lyrics my mind was blown.
This is a unique piece of art I also dont know any band that had made something similar.

Fav: Trance Dance
30.04.2020 - 19:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its awesome, seems band did not knew what style they wanna play then
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7613 | This month: 15