Album: Blood Is Bright
Style: Post-rock
Release date: 2006

01. The Annunciation
02. Blood Is Bright
03. A Word Could Kill Her
04. In The Hearts Of Titans
05. At The Age Of Decay

Radar Recordings has a quite nice roster indeed; I wasn't quite sure what to expect with their releases, but first I grabbed their Constants release to review and I fell shocked to the ground, now I'm reviewing Junius, a similar band with a darker approach and heavier undertones, let me tell you, this is also one hell of an album to say the least.

Junius is almost a hybrid which makes things more entertaining for the audience; their music merges Gothic influences (the old school of course) with post-rock structures and a couple of Alternative schemes. In the end, they have a unique sound impossible to catalog?I'll try my best to give you an idea though; think the early recordings of Valeria and The Cure with the Dredg vibe and some Explosions In The Sky's structures, that will give you a slight idea I'm sure.

Anyway, this EP is as odd as it gets actually; but that's the thing I love the most you know? The "shocking" factor is always a huge plus for any album. Every tune has a life of its own, the independency shown in this release is marvelous, Blood Is Bright has one source presented in the first track (The Annunciation) that source stays until the end of the record actually, but each track revolts that same source and creates a whole new essence in the music. I'm not sure how to explain this, you'll have to listen with your own ears.

Sadly, the EP becomes a little slow in the last track; what happens basically is that In The Heart Of Titans creates a powerful environment and increases the intensity of Blood Is Bright, that song would have been the perfect closure for this EP for sure; but then At The Age Of Decay ends the release in a really downed vibe and leaves the record almost incomplete and imperfect if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good song, but it's not as strong as the first batch that's all.

This is an interesting EP; the ones seeking for new forms of music will be pleased with the bizarreness of this band. For the rest of the people, I would recommend you to wait a little longer, and when Junius finally releases a full-length with better songwriting and polished sound?that will be your cue to buy their album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 10.08.2006

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 34 users
10.08.2006 - 23:38
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Interesting...