Metal Storm logo
The Best Death Metal Albums That Never Get Old-Ever

Original post

Posted by dieforopeth00, 30.04.2010 - 02:48
Everyone I just want to see you post your favorite death metal in general albums that never ever get old. Some of my favorites are All Shall Perish's The Price Of Existence and Awaken The Dreamers, The Facless's albums Planetary Duality and Akeldama. Also Miserations new album The Mirror Shadow never gets old. Also old school death metal. Like Sepultura's Arise and Beneath The Remains. Also pretty much all of Death's discography haha.
25.04.2012 - 20:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.04.2012 at 20:13

Very true Arsis (at least with that album, and the EP) can't really be narrowly categorized as a purely tech-death band because there are melodic death and black metal elements thrown in, and the production is a lot grittier compared to... pretty much every other band in the genre. I guess I forgot who I was talking to because you don't typically fall for "the norm" or whatever and Quo Vadis are more entrenched in the typified tech-death style (despite the melody) whereas Arsis (again, specifying their back catalog) were a little more... envelope-pushing.

I do like to cherry pick the more unique sounding bands/albums My entire taste in death metal can be categorised in that fashion: Akercocke, Dãm, Mithras, Lykathe, Demilich, Flourishing yada yada.
25.04.2012 - 20:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 20:17
Akercocke, Dãm, Mithras, Lykathe, Demilich, Flourishing yada yada.

I like some of those bands too! (Actually all of them but Mithras.) But I still have quite a strong taste for more simplified music as well, hence my primary attraction to raw black metal (and on the other end of the spectrum, Cascadian-style black metal) and more typical forms of death metal - be it old school or that modern plasticized stuff all the old-timers despise.

I guess technically we haven't responded to the OP or whatever but I liked the conversation. I think if I were to give a list of "never get old"-type death metal albums it would be filled with Immolation, Bolt Thrower, Death, The Chasm, Suffocation, Vader... and probably a bunch of other bands I can't remember at the moment.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.04.2012 - 21:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 20:58
!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a Trest
I enjoy this band.

Understatement of the year. You even modeled your username after them!

PS great list, no complaints here aside from Martyr and Mithras.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.04.2012 - 21:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.04.2012 at 21:05

Understatement of the year. You even modeled your username after them!

I was hoping the understated-ness of that would come across

OK I've just realised there's a few more I wanna add so it's going to appear as though you foresaw the future when I'm done...
25.04.2012 - 21:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 19:40

Written by Oaken on 25.04.2012 at 19:23

Some good tech death bands include Gorod, Obscura and (to a lesser extent) Necrophagist.

If you ask me Obscura are heading the pack of lifeless, overproduced, wankfest death metal.

+1

Nice Bass work though.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.04.2012 - 21:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Favourite death metals, in no order:

Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind
Crazy, disgusting black and sludge influenced death metal. Dirtier than Sasha Grey.

Dãm - The Difference Engine
Curiously sludgy, strange and slightly experimental death metal. Definitely amongst the most unique of the genre.

Martyr - Feeding The Abscess
Personally I found Warp Zone to be rubbish but there's something about this record which ebbs and flows in a way that Warp Zone doesn't.

Benighted - Identisick
The perfect blend of death metal and grind. The ability to be as brutal sounding as this but remain groovy and memorable is why this is the best of its kind.

Carbonized - Disharmonization
Maybe not death metal exactly, more kind of avant-garde grind. Weird, Voivod-esque and most definitely a precursor to !T.O.O.H.!

Intestine Baalism - Banquet In The Darkness
Define "Irony": A Japanese band playing old school Swedish death metal better than any Swedish band ever could.

Xysma - Yeah
Probably the best death ''n' roll album ever made. Offbeat and funmanship abound. A practically unknown gem.

Mithras - Forever Advancing...... Legions
Experimental, atmospheric brutal death metal. You'd think that would be an oxymoron but this record proves otherwise.

Demilich - Nespithe
Has the most perfectly angular riffs of any album ever. A one off album in the history of death metal and how something so weird was made in 1993 is beyond me.

Lykathé - Elvenefris
Probably the highest rated album on all of Metal Archives. Another legendary one off, extremely atmospheric and unique album, probably with the craziest drums of all time.

Watchmaker - Kill. Fucking. Everyone.
By far and away the most intense and unrelenting album ever, combining black, death and grind in a glorious wall of noise and sound.

Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken
The classiest, sexiest death metal album ever. The bext example of well produced, progressive death metal I can think of.

Portal - Outre'
Like Watchmaker this is pure intense, wall of sound death metal, only this time with emphasis on a blackened atmosphere. Has approximately the same gravity as Saturn.

Demonoid - Riders Of The Apocalypse
Very nice moody and modern take on an old-school death/thrash album with touches of black metal.

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Best song ever written. Epic. 'nuff said.

Gorod - Leading Vision
Definitely the best "straight-up" tech death album ever. They manage to reign in the wanky-ness in favour of slower, cleverer and more memorable songwriting.

Flourishing - The Sum Of All Fossils
Completely brand new perspective on death metal, mixing it with post-hardcore the result is something indicative of where death metal needs to head.

Ulcerate - The Destroyers Of All
Post-technical-Neurosis death metal, or something to that effect. Along with Flourishing Ulcerate are the flag bearers of a new era of death metal.

Duobetic Homunkulus - Části A Mechanismy Strojů
An offshoot of !T.O.O.H.! so you can expect some pretty wacky and fun tech death here. And it's only a demo too.

The Amenta - nOn
Blut aus Nord playing death metal. You shall be crushed under its enormous mechanized body.

Atrophia Red Sun - Twisted Logic
Weird, spacey technical death/thrash. The use of keyboards and effects done here is something I've yet to hear done anywhere else in quite the same way.

Tiamat - The Astral Sleep
Probably the best doom death record I've ever heard, and criminally underrated as well.

Bloodbath - Breeding Death
I think my love for Swedish old school death metal begins and ends with this 3 track EP. Unless it's done by Japanese people of course.

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
This album broke conventional death metal album for me. More or less everything else in this vein seems lacklustre and pointless after it.

Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Most maniacal and monstrous vocal performance in music yet I would say. Musically this is brutal and technical on a perfectly balanced level. Nasty, brilliant stuff.

Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
And the best album by an incredibly racist band goes too.....! Yes its Arghoslent. Great "melodic" death metal in perhaps the truest sense of the word. Lots of melody but still gruff and rough.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Ironically the best "Gothenburg" style album despite having almost none of the characteristics associated with the scene. Technical, yet melodic death metal. And completely perfect.

!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a Trest
I enjoy this band.
30.04.2012 - 00:07
Written by Astuto on 18.04.2012 at 21:22

ESCARNIUM - ( Covered In Decadence )

Pretty fucking good stuff. Never heard it before and when I see mentions of death metal bands I'm not familiar with, I figure it is probably melodic or technical death metal. But I'm really liking this
30.04.2012 - 14:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 21:21

Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Most maniacal and monstrous vocal performance in music yet I would say. Musically this is brutal and technical on a perfectly balanced level. Nasty, brilliant stuff.

I used to hate this album, but man, do I love it now. Lord Worm's preformance is excellent.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.04.2012 - 15:42
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.04.2012 at 14:52

I used to like this album, but now I HATE it because of Lord Worm's vocals.

Fixed.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
30.04.2012 - 15:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Oaken on 30.04.2012 at 15:42

I've always loved this album because I'm not a pussy.
----
30.04.2012 - 16:07
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.04.2012 at 15:44

Written by Oaken on 30.04.2012 at 15:42

I've always loved this album because I'm not a pussy.

Yeah, okay.
I'll list my albums

Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Best death metal album I've heard so far. Technical riffs, crushing growls, crazy solos and prominent basslines. Surely an epitome.

Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Sick, morbid, perverted, filthy and vomit-inducing doom/death with destructive tempo changes. A-stuff.

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Showcases innovation in death metal. A 40-minute song doesn't seem really catchy, but it ends up being so. Essential.

Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Got me used to the filthy old school raw sound. I'll forever be in debt. Has some of the darkest atmospheres ever.

Malevolent Creation - Retribution
A very fine album indeed, one of my favorites. Death/Thrash mastery.

Cancer - Death Shall Rise
A slightly less-known band, but loads more brutal than most of its contemporaries. HUNG, DRAWN, QUARTERED!!

Behemoth - Demigod
Despite my hate for Behemoth , Demigod shocked me upon first listen. Strong album.

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Karl Sanders does death metal a great job by injecting some originality. Oriental melodies work well with death metal.

Necrophagist - Epitaph
My first extreme metal album. I still admire Muhammed Sucimez till this day. Solo wankery at its finest.

Obscura - Omnivium
Heard it this year when I lost my interest in metal. It fortunately had the "awesomeness" to get me back in.
----
30.04.2012 - 19:05
Lit 2.0
Account deleted

Ironically the best "Gothenburg" style album despite having almost none of the characteristics associated with the scene. Technical, yet melodic death metal. And completely perfect.

Honestly, I prefer Damage Done over this album. Yes, The Gallery has a lot of variety, but DD is one of those albums where you don't care the songs are the songs are the same, love it anyway. It's like Warning's Watching From A Distance to you Doom lovers for me.

Written by Oaken on 30.04.2012 at 16:07

Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Sick, morbid, perverted, filthy and vomit-inducing doom/death with destructive tempo changes. A-stuff.

What about Severed Survival?
30.04.2012 - 19:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 19:05

Honestly, I prefer Damage Done over this album. Yes, The Gallery has a lot of variety, but DD is one of those albums where you don't care the songs are the songs are the same, love it anyway. It's like Warning's Watching From A Distance to you Doom lovers for me.

For me Damage Done is the weaker brother of Character. Somewhat sugary, saccharine songwriting and poorer production (concerning Stanne's vocals). Character is punchier, more aggressive and just better sounding to me. I like Damage Done a lot though.

At any rate though I wouldn't compare The Gallery to Damage Done as they sound too different. Nor would I put Damage Done in a "death metal" list because it contains very little, if any, death metal ;]
30.04.2012 - 19:18
Lit 2.0
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 19:10

Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 19:05

For me Damage Done is the weaker brother of Character. Somewhat sugary, saccharine songwriting and poorer production (concerning Stanne's vocals). Character is punchier, more aggressive and just better sounding to me. I like Damage Done a lot though.

At any rate though I wouldn't compare The Gallery to Damage Done as they sound too different. Nor would I put Damage Done in a "death metal" list because it contains very little, if any, death metal ;]

Yeah, I guess. I wasn't labeling as the heading above. Just saying I perferred it to The Gallery.
But... I will listen to Character. If it's what you say it is, I might enjoy it.
30.04.2012 - 19:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 19:18

Yeah, I guess. I wasn't labeling as the heading above. Just saying I perferred it to The Gallery.
But... I will listen to Character. If it's what you say it is, I might enjoy it.

For me Character is the best of the modern era for the band. Other people seem to prefer Damage Done and Fiction but Character is where it'll always be at for it.
30.04.2012 - 19:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 25.04.2012 at 21:21
Quote:

Exactly. One of my most favorite Gothenburg album of all time. Terrific stuff.
30.04.2012 - 20:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Sexy list is sexy

I agree with most of that list. If I don't agree with one of those albums is mostly because I haven't heard it Special nods goes to Dragged Into Sunlight, The Amenta, Demilich, Lykathé, Akercocke (RIP ) Portal, Flourishing, Ulcerate, Bloodbath, Suffocation (Their second album is friggin awesome too...) and of course !T.O.O.H.!

Trying to post something else besides the classic "THIS" quote... I'll put some shizzle that makes me go wet:

Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus (Here And Beyond)
Their best album easily. They were already on the death road here and damn it sounded so good with som traces of black still around. Way more coherent than their recent material. Their best vocals too. Horns Ov Baphomet is probably my favorite Behemoth song.... RISE THY HORNS!

Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Their debut EP is the shit. This is the firsts tuff I heard from them, still amazing in my eyes. They still had the old school sound which I don't know why they changed... It was perfect. Mikael sounds so much brutal compared to Opeth's growls.

Death - Leprosy
Their best death metal album imo (because if you call their later period death, you are off). Just classic stuff that never gets old.

Entombed - Left Hand Path
Fuck, you listen to this shit now and it's still fresh!

In Flames - The Jester Race ( Maybe I'm stretching the death tag a bit too much here but I don't care)
Shit guys.... Remember when In Flames used to fucking OWN?! Yeah, I miss that too.

Impetuous Ritual - Relentless Execution Of Ceremonial Excrescence
Portal's less blacky and less noisy little brother but just as fucked up.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Classic, nuff said

Brutal... and quite atmospheric and some middle easter tunes, what's not to like?

Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Because not only the debut deserves your love.

Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Muddy and extremely chaotic shit. It's almost ridiculous how relentless this is.

SPECIAL MENTION GOES TO:

Esoteric - Caucus Of Mind
Esoteric don't even play Death Metal and with just one friggin song they owned more than half the genre.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2012 - 20:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2012 at 20:08

Brutal... and quite atmospheric and some middle easter tunes, what's not to like?

You still need to listen to Annihilation of the Wicked. Better than this one
30.04.2012 - 20:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 20:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2012 at 20:08

You still need to listen to Annihilation of the Wicked. Better than this one

Nope version 2.0 is right, this is Nile''s best by far
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2012 - 20:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2012 at 20:43

Version 2.0 is clearly corrupt. He needs to be reformatted. In fact he needs an entirely new OS
30.04.2012 - 20:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 20:45
Version 2.0 is clearly corrupt. He needs to be reformatted. In fact he needs an entirely new OS

I agree with you on this one... Annihilation is Nile at their best. Darkened Shrines is still a great release, but for me Annihilation just bests it in every category.
----
30.04.2012 - 20:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.04.2012 at 20:50

I agree with you on this one... Annihilation is Nile at their best. Darkened Shrines is still a great release, but for me Annihilation just bests it in every category.

Yeah that's pretty much it for me. Not speaking ill of Shrines, it's kickass, but Annihilation is totally worth the hype that surrounds it more or less.
30.04.2012 - 21:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2012 at 20:43

Note that I didn't say it was their best at all. Since I haven't heard all their stuff yet.

Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 20:45

You can reformat me any time you want babe.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.04.2012 - 21:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2012 at 21:37

Aren't they referring to Lit?

EDIT: nevermind, this thread is just confusing.
----
30.04.2012 - 22:49
Oaken
Hipster
Quote:
Written by Oaken on 30.04.2012 at 16:07

Autopsy - Mental Funeral

What about Severed Survival?

I like it too, but I prefer Mental Funeral.
----
04.05.2012 - 18:03
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.04.2012 at 21:45

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.04.2012 at 21:37

Aren't they referring to Lit?

EDIT: nevermind, this thread is just confusing.

Lit don't swing that way. And neither does 2.0
08.05.2012 - 11:13
Bones222
Loving the forum cheers!

BOLT THROWER - THE IV CRUSADE
12.05.2012 - 18:48
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Bones222 on 08.05.2012 at 11:13

Loving the forum cheers!

BOLT THROWER - THE IV CRUSADE

And yes, you reminded me of this one. Cool groovy DM.
----
12.05.2012 - 23:29
@gent_-_orange
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 20:52

Yeah that's pretty much it for me. Not speaking ill of Shrines, it's kickass, but Annihilation is totally worth the hype that surrounds it more or less.

Annihilation is alright but the last two songs are a bore and just kill it for me. Niles first three records are their best works IMO.
14.05.2012 - 09:09
SunFalcon
I See That In Flames's Album ''Soundtrack To Your Escape'' and ''Clayman''
----
What Left Of Me Shall Build A New World