01. Die By My Hand
02. No Need To Be Human
03. Read My Scars
04. D.O.A.
05. Mistress Of Deception
06. Tunnel Of Pain
07. Why It Hurts
08. Last Entertainment

The 'other' Swiss power trio have matured from their sophomore effort with leaps and bounds. Just to name a few; the production gives Tommy Barons' swirling guitar playing a true spotlight that he lacked in their previous, thinly produced albums. Markys' lyrics are much more deep and lacking in juvenile ranting, and while Rons' vocals are still the groups' sore thumb, his vocals are buried a tad under the mix. That small short coming is easily ignored though.

Some of the songs here are slowed down to a mid paced tempo, and that's exactly what Coroner needed all along to get going. Songs like "Die By My Hand", and "Read My Scars" have a lot of room to breathe and have a beefy rhythm section and very complimenting solos to go with it. On the other side of the coin, the faster songs also benefit from this as "Tunnel of Pain" and "DOA" in which the band easily pulls off quick tempo changes without losing the feel of the song. The guitar playing is head and shoulders above the rest of the genre at the time, and still pretty impressive while not resulting to tedious technical boredom. No More Color sounds much more focused and finely tuned than previous releases that seemed to just wander around without any sense of direction. Closing with the keyboard textured (very reminiscent of the Twilight Zone Theme) spoken word piece "Last Entertainment", which foreshadowed some of the atmosphere the band would later experiment with on later releases (particularly Mental Vortex) is the highlight of the album.

No More Color is Coroner's first classic album, and should find its' way into any thrash devotees' collection. While being close to the top of the list for best thrash metal outings of the 80s, they were yet to perfect their craft. Which is a shame since interest in the genre waned after 1989, and a truly masterful band was never fully appreciated.

Note: The lyrics to "Why It Hurts" were supplied by Celtic Frost bassist Martin Eric Ain.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 14.07.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 125 users
01.05.2010 - 02:30
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Love this band, love this album. soooo underrated!
----
rekt
30.12.2010 - 01:37
Rating: 10
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Yeah, This albums pretty fucking hard. I liked most of the songs.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
21.01.2015 - 12:20
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi

My favorite 80s thrash band. Sooo much better than the big 4.
21.01.2015 - 13:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Kuroboshi on 21.01.2015 at 12:20

My favorite 80s thrash band.

Not one of the favorite but can count in my favorites of 80's thrash scene.

Yeah, spectacular band with awesome releases. I loved "No More Color", "Mental Vortex", "Punishment For Decadence" and then "Grin". While doing projects, i never forget to play one of those discs.

Quote:
Sooo much better than the 4

Well, debatable. =P

For me, i really do not think so. Slayer, Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Overkill much better than Coroner. But, won't deny their superb talent for music.
26.01.2020 - 17:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It has some thing what you make out that its best, its cool album, equal as their others but its their best.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7753 | This month: 12