Metal Storm logo
What Metal For what Mood

06.05.2010 - 17:03
Bleed4Metal

What band or type of metal do you listen to depending the kind of mood you're in?

Like exmp: When I'm...

Hyper - Iron Maiden, Motorhead
Pissed - Slayer, Amon Amarth
Sad - Pantera (Cemetary Gates), Metallica (call of ktulu) ext....
06.05.2010 - 18:35
soadbyob
Account deleted
Happy- Power Metal
Sad- Doom Metal
Angry- Thrash Metal

Just some basic ones
06.05.2010 - 19:06
Miro

Happy - Dark Tranquility
Angry/Mad - Destruction,Kreator,Amon Amarth
Sad - Saturnus,Before the Rain
06.05.2010 - 20:23
Kennoth

Happy - Disturbed, Korn, Nightwish, Hammerfall
Angry - Scar Symmetry, Slipknot, Disturbed, The Agonist
Sad - Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Korn

Maybe I omitted couple of bands
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.05.2010 - 23:05
caimanjosh

Happy - power metal, esp. female-fronted and symphonic (Nightwish, Wildpath)
Angry - Children of Bodom (great growling/screaming, lightning riffs), Verisakeet from Moonsorrow
Melancholy - Power ballads (generally only a couple of songs from each band), maybe some milder black metal like Forefather
08.05.2010 - 04:40
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Happy - Usually power metal or progressive (Stratovarius, Nightwish, Kamelot, Riverside, Dark Moor, etc...)
Sad - Doom metal or anything with a moody atmospheric (Anathema, Swallow the Sun, Amorphis, Draconian, Beseech, etc...)
Angry - Something extreme, usually thrash, death or black metal (Behemoth, Kataklysm, Legion of the Damned...)
Neutral state - pretty much everything combined I guess. Hypocrisy, Iron Maiden, Amon Amarth, Nevermore, Opeth, Threshold, Katatonia... and so on
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.05.2010 - 13:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm.. interesting, let me see:

-happy/pumped - WASP, Manowar, Candlemass's first album, Priest, Saxon, Iced Earth, Running Wild, Amon Amarth, Scorpions, basically anthemic, catchy shit, not just trad metal but also stuff like Paradise Lost's song Erased or Cradle of Filth's Death of Love.

-sad - no music usually

-angry(but not real anger, just when i'm pissed off at something momentarily) - Manowar's The Day The Earth Shook DVD.

-calm state - extreme metal usually works for me when i'm calmed, so Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Immortal.
08.05.2010 - 14:10
Mikyz

These days I listen to the following, I'm sure I missed most.

Hyped - Blind Guardian, System of a Down, Therapy?, The Crown.
Angry - Benighted, Anaal Nathrakh, Fukpig, Pig Destroyer, Misery Index, Brutality, Demigod, Gorement, Immolation.
Happy - Rosetta, Converge, Nevermore, Disillusion, Moonspell, Mastodon, Mouth of the Architect, Queens of the Stone Age.
Sad - Anti, Coldworld, Gris, Shining, Have a Nice Life, Burzum, Alcest, Warning, Dolorian, Forgotten Tomb, Drudkh.
Bored/Neutral - Edge of Sanity, Amon Amarth, Windir, Immortal, Weakling, Dissection, Arckanum, Negura Bunget.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
10.05.2010 - 09:50
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
All moods - black metal
10.05.2010 - 10:17
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Happy - Folk metal
Sad - Doomish post-metal, some Apocalyptica
Angry - Grindcore
When I need cheering up - Power metal
Neutral - Industrial
Trying to sleep - Black metal or something like Jodis, i.e. no Mayhem at 2 AM
----
10.05.2010 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Doom metal in all its guises for all moods.
Thrash for all moods
Black for all moods
old school death for all moods
classic heavy metal for all moods
post metal for all moods

My moods don't dictate what I listen to.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2010 - 22:06
Got Mayhem?

I can't say I have any music for a particular mood either. Black, Doom, Death, Thrash, Prog, Heavy, it's all good all the time. Obviously there are times when I feel like listening to one particular genre more than another but it definitely isn't because I'm feeling a bit 'sad' that day or something.
----
09.06.2010 - 12:52
Entropic Silence

I only really have designated bands/genres for angry, study and sleep.

Angry
-Kinda pissed - Meshuggah's Straws Pulled at Random (calms me down)
-Really Angry - Other Meshuggah, or Nile, volume steadily increasing
-Somehow angrier - Emperor's IX Equilibrium or Abigail Williams

Study
-Post Metal - Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna
-Mastodon/Baroness
-Tool

Sleep
Either Mastodon's Crack the Skye, or Iron Maiden's Seventh son of a Seventh son. Either of those usually get me off to sleep.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
09.06.2010 - 14:12
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Written by Norm on 10.05.2010 at 22:05

I let the music decide my mood instead of my mood deciding the music.

For example, All types of Metal make me pretty damn happy when i listen to them. But I would become very sad if I had to listen to some nu- shit.

Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.05.2010 at 22:06

I can't say I have any music for a particular mood either. Black, Doom, Death, Thrash, Prog, Heavy, it's all good all the time. Obviously there are times when I feel like listening to one particular genre more than another but it definitely isn't because I'm feeling a bit 'sad' that day or something.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2010 at 20:44

Doom metal in all its guises for all moods.
Thrash for all moods
Black for all moods
old school death for all moods
classic heavy metal for all moods
post metal for all moods

My moods don't dictate what I listen to.

Quote:

[Anyone with similar feelings]

There is no relation to what state of mind you are in and the type of metal you listen to? Do you have an idea why that is the case? I find this interesting, because for example the desire to identify with the emotions portrayed in the music is something that happens often enough. Or the idea of uses and gratifications wherein you listen to a certain type of music to a certain goal, like entertainment, discharge, diversion, solace, etc. Though that is also leaning towards using music to affect your affective states (there's like a sort of feedback between your mood depicting the type of music you listen and the effect the music has on your mood).

So, if your answer on my first question is that there is indeed no relation, do you think there is a relation between the type of music you listen to and it affecting your then current mood?

As for myself, it's more the case that the music I listen to influences my mood than my mood depicting to what I listen to. Like when I put on the latest Anathema I go into melancholy, but when I go to Tuatha De Danann and their happy joy joy folk then I get all giddy. But of course there are certain moments that some music feels right, and some doesn't.
09.06.2010 - 14:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Brutal death or thrash when angry... but pretty much any kind of metal for all moods.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
09.06.2010 - 14:48
Numbskull

Doom Metal in its various forms for all moods
09.06.2010 - 21:08
busta5000
Account deleted
Personally

Symphonic metal when i'm relaxed
Metalcore when I'm enjoyed
Heavy Metal when I'm angry or disappointed
Death metal - when sick things happen like war.
22.04.2012 - 17:42
Infernal Eternal

Happy - Manowar, Obscura, Amon Amarth, King Diamond, Hammerfall, Helloween etc.
Angry/Sad - Keator, Sodom, Destruction, Possessed etc.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
22.04.2012 - 17:54
Thrashette

When I'm angry or sad, it's death or thrash metal. If I'm really happy, it's power metal. Aside from that, I just listen to whatever I happen to feel like hearing at the time.
23.04.2012 - 22:17
FOOCK Nam

Written by Valentin B on 08.05.2010 at 13:03

-calm state - extreme metal usually works for me when i'm calmed, so Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Immortal.

I feel the same, extreme metal makes me concentrate on the music and melody that drive me away from all tension or hump, it either soothe my mood or tired me out which leads to be calmer.

The interesting I find that is extreme metal cant help during workout and not fit to me.