Additional info
Produced by Rick Rubin and Slayer.
Engineered by Andy Wallace.
Mixed at New Fresh, N.Y.C.
Mastered by Howie Weinberg.

Guest review by
Edible Autopsy
Rating:
The greatest metal record of all time. This topic is often debated upon in the Metal Kingdom and to most there is no definite answer. A worthy contender for this title is Slayer's 1986 masterpiece, Reign In Blood. Few albums withstand the test of time as well and even fewer have had such a huge impact on the metal world as this one.

Read more ››
published 24.09.2003 | Comments (66)

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Where does one begin reviewing an album with as much hype and influence as this? An album branded as revolutionary and with such a fanatical following. It is always going to be a difficult task, so I ask that for a moment we forget the hype surrounding this album and we look at the musical value it holds.

Reign in Blood was in many ways a brave new world for Slayer. It had a completely different sound to anything before it; they abandoned all the pretentiousness of the long, drawn out, complex song structures they had experimented with on Haunting the Chapel and Hell Awaits. In this, it was far more accessible, yet they didn't sacrifice any of their integrity or alienate any of their core fan base. Their intention was quite clear, that this was to be the fastest, heaviest, angriest music ever to be unleashed on human ears.

Read more ››
published 04.04.2008 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Mindheist
Rating:
For more than a decade, Slayer has proudly fused thrash and speed metal into loud, offering doomish dirges, voraciously boisterous and blasphemous songs groaning over lyrics that depict madness, suicide and murder in excess, a style which should definetly suit a ten-year-old metalhead. On October 7, 1986, Slayer released what was to become their masterpiece, "Reign In Blood". An album discribed by Kerrang! Magazine as "the heaviest album of all time" and peaked at number 22 on Metal Storm's "top 100 albums of all time" survey, a position that only "the crème de la crème" bands could get. Believe me, reviewing a very popular album from a very popular band isn't easy at all, but sometimes justice must be done.

Read more ››
published 14.08.2008 | Comments (207)

Found in 187 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 94   Visited by: 2747 users
11.05.2010 - 18:46
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
ANGEL OF DEATH!!! MARTYR TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEAD!!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.05.2010 - 22:03
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 11.05.2010 at 18:46

ANGEL OF DEATH!!! MARCH TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEAD!!!

IMFAMOUS BUTCHER. ANGEL OF DEATH!!!
27.08.2010 - 01:49
slay_tallica

28 Minutes of fucken shredding this album kicks ass
22.11.2010 - 03:30
devil's child.
Account deleted
Absolute brilliant album.
as an early teen, my halloween outfit was the 'angel of death'.
thankyou slayer
22.11.2010 - 06:39
Rating: 9
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 22.11.2010 at 03:30

thankyou slayer

You dressed as Josef Mengele?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.11.2010 - 00:43
devil's child.
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 22.11.2010 at 06:39

Written by Guest on 22.11.2010 at 03:30

thankyou slayer

You dressed as Josef Mengele?

ehhh not exactly.
hey, i was young!
28.11.2010 - 06:22
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although I do slightly prefer the two albums its sandwiched between, ("Hell Awaits" and "South Of Heaven") this is still an immense album and really rose the bar for unhinged manic aggression in thrash. Quite rightly regarded as a total classic metal album. xD
06.12.2010 - 03:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 11.05.2010 at 22:03

Written by Boxcar Willy on 11.05.2010 at 18:46

ANGEL OF DEATH!!! MARCH TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEAD!!!

IMFAMOUS BUTCHER. ANGEL OF DEATH!!!

RANDOM POINTLESS SPAM POST IN ALL CAPS.

All spamming aside, it's really the only Slayer album I've thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.12.2010 - 03:48
RavenKing

This album is good but it's really not my favorite from Slayer. I find it too much one-dimensional and think it lacks variation.
It's an important album, however, as it paved the way to more extreme music by its speed and level of aggression that was unmatched at the time. It's an album that pushed the boundaries.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.01.2011 - 02:17
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Apocalypse Music right here.
23.02.2011 - 12:50
Hellchain666

This is an amazing album. All the songs are amazing, if you haven't got this album then what the fuck are you waiting for? GET THE ALBUM ALREADY! \m/
27.02.2011 - 01:40
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Hellchain666 on 23.02.2011 at 12:50

This is an amazing album. All the songs are amazing, if you haven't got this album then what the fuck are you waiting for?

The day I no longer give a rat's ass about vocals. Seriously, I'd prefer they had no vocals at all. Also, the songs are too short. Just when I begin to enjoy a riff, the song's over already. Of all the albums loved by the average metal head, this one's my least favourite, it doesn't hold a candle to Peace Sells or Master of Puppets. And one more thing: the Hail Satan! crap is just ridiculous. It's the other side of the coin of silliness from Sonata Arctica's "Read the bible, or burn in hell!" Of all the things a band can say in their lyrics, preaching to their audience is by far the fastest way to make me want ignore them.
27.02.2011 - 13:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 27.02.2011 at 01:40

1.I'd prefer they had no vocals at all.
2.Also, the songs are too short. Just when I begin to enjoy a riff, the song's over already.
3.Of all the albums loved by the average metal head, this one's my least favourite, it doesn't hold a candle to Peace Sells

1. probably the best vocal work from Araya. TOTAL THRASHY and VIOLENT. cause it is thrash metal.
2. fast, angry and violent songs cause it is thrash metal. and surely thrash metal can have longer songs with awesome riffing and so is "angel of death". the other are just a violent ode to the greatness of extremity.
3. sorry but peace sells from the gay mustaine? what an awesome vocals, right? OMG! at least Araya's vocals are thrashy...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.02.2011 - 12:58
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 27.02.2011 at 13:38

1. probably the best vocal work from Araya. TOTAL THRASHY and VIOLENT. cause it is thrash metal.
2. fast, angry and violent songs cause it is thrash metal. and surely thrash metal can have longer songs with awesome riffing and so is "angel of death". the other are just a violent ode to the greatness of extremity.
3. sorry but peace sells from the gay mustaine? what an awesome vocals, right? OMG! at least Araya's vocals are thrashy...

1. If you say so...

2. To me it sounds like: let's finish this fast, so no one can detect that we don't have any ideas for a longer song. Good songs, just like good sex, should last a little bit longer than 2 minutes. These are rules that I just made up and I am backing them up with RTL.

3. Mustaine's gay? Good for him for coming out of the closet. And yes, I actually prefer Mustaine's vocals, always have and always will. The songs on Peace sells... (as well as RIP and the other good albums) actually make me want to sing along, which never happened with Reign In Blood, Megadeth's vocal parts form a symbiosis with the guitars and the rhythm section, but with Slayer, the vocals (hehee...vocals) are just there. I gave them 7/10 for their technical abilities and fast (but not enjoyable nor memorable) solos, but honestly, I still feel like I am being too kind.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go listen to Peace Sells, to revitalize my love for Thrash.
28.02.2011 - 17:00
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 28.02.2011 at 12:58

I'll go listen to Peace Sells, to revitalize my love for Thrash.

really i cannot see how there are people like you who like extreme metal but prefer the gay area thrash...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.02.2011 - 17:06
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 28.02.2011 at 17:00

really i cannot see how there are people like you who like extreme metal but prefer the gay area thrash...

Yeah, having poor eyesight can be a bitch.
09.03.2011 - 18:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.01.2011 at 02:17

Apocalypse Music right here.

Damn straight
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.03.2011 - 00:11
RavenKing

Written by Deadmeat on 28.02.2011 at 17:00

I see where you're coming from. I'm a big lover of extreme Thrash but I have no interest in American Thrash.
I know what you mean by gay area Thrash, even if I find the expression a bit exaggerated.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.03.2011 - 11:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by RavenKing on 10.03.2011 at 00:11

even if I find the expression a bit exaggerated.

it surely is. and i know that i may offend someone by saying this. so that's why i'm trying to use it only against people who "deserve" it.
----
14.06.2011 - 18:12
TrollandDie

Not bad but I never quite understood why it's so praised. Sure, the Aushwitz inspired lyrics and the machine gun riffing add a lot of extremity at a time when thrash was still rising from its tamer roots but I feel it lacks any depth. Most of the songs are just straight up mach 10 speed without a lot of variety. The riffs are fun at first but get quite repetitive and the bite-sized songs for the most part leave me without a big impression (unlike say....'Darkness Descends'.) Also Tom's voice never got me as well-there isn't any love from me in that department and it feels like the music goes hand in hand with a more death-thrash-oriented vocalist.

Don't get me wrong, I still like it (and I play it somewhat frequently) and respect these guys a LOT. It's just that I never got why it's so praised compared to other greats released alongside it that year.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
27.06.2011 - 12:54
Death_95

What are they thinking about when they're writing their lyrics ?
19.07.2011 - 00:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
One of my favorites.
20.07.2011 - 05:41
king_matt

I don't see it as their best album. I feel as though all the other tracks are sandwiched in between Angel of Death and Raining Blood. But it was highly influential, I'll give it that.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
20.07.2011 - 06:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Death_95 on 27.06.2011 at 12:54

What are they thinking about when they're writing their lyrics ?

probably thinking about killing stuff in a cruel way... I guess
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
31.07.2011 - 06:33
aerobat97

In my opinion, this is the best Slayer album.
31.07.2011 - 08:02
JCJen7

Written by Guest on 27.02.2011 at 01:40

Written by Hellchain666 on 23.02.2011 at 12:50

This is an amazing album. All the songs are amazing, if you haven't got this album then what the fuck are you waiting for?

the Hail Satan! crap is just ridiculous. It's the other side of the coin of silliness from Sonata Arctica's "Read the bible, or burn in hell!" Of all the things a band can say in their lyrics, preaching to their audience is by far the fastest way to make me want ignore them.

I'm not sure if you are joking, or just completely ignorant about this album. Try not to stereotype entire bands by lyrical themes in some songs. This album hardly ever even mentions satan, and when it does, it hardly means satan as in the theistic being, but more as a 'boogie-man' role, for shock value. This album relies almost entirely on gory, or 'shocking' lyrics, but nothing on here is trying to preach satanic messages. Tom Araya himself is Christian, and I doubt he would use his band as a pedestal to preach a religion that is so contradictory to his own.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
31.07.2011 - 10:13
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 31.07.2011 at 08:02

I'm not sure if you are joking, or just completely ignorant about this album. Try not to stereotype entire bands by lyrical themes in some songs. This album hardly ever even mentions satan, and when it does, it hardly means satan as in the theistic being, but more as a 'boogie-man' role, for shock value. This album relies almost entirely on gory, or 'shocking' lyrics, but nothing on here is trying to preach satanic messages. Tom Araya himself is Christian, and I doubt he would use his band as a pedestal to preach a religion that is so contradictory to his own.

Indeed I am quite ignorant of Araya's beliefs, as I am quite ignorant of Tony Kakko's beliefs (the "read the bible" Sonata Arctica guy). I don't care enough to learn about band members' personal beliefs, especially when the band's music leaves me with a "meh" feeling. I had nothing but lyrics to go one when writing about the album. The bottom line being: I cannot take a band seriously, when they sing "Hail Satan!" or "Jesus Saves!" and this has nothing to do with my beliefs or my non-beliefs. I just can't take it seriously, even if they sang about how intelligent design is bullshit, which is something that I agree with 100%. It's possible that they don't want to be taken seriously, in which case their mission has been accomplished.
31.07.2011 - 10:32
JCJen7

Written by Guest on 31.07.2011 at 10:13

Written by JCJen7 on 31.07.2011 at 08:02

Indeed I am quite ignorant of Araya's beliefs, as I am quite ignorant of Tony Kakko's beliefs (the "read the bible" Sonata Arctica guy). I don't care enough to learn about band members' personal beliefs, especially when the band's music leaves me with a "meh" feeling. I had nothing but lyrics to go one when writing about the album. The bottom line being: I cannot take a band seriously, when they sing "Hail Satan!" or "Jesus Saves!" and this has nothing to do with my beliefs or my non-beliefs. I just can't take it seriously, even if they sang about how intelligent design is bullshit, which is something that I agree with 100%. It's possible that they don't want to be taken seriously, in which case their mission has been accomplished.

Wow, spoken like a true politician. Ignore 90% of my post, and twist the other 10% around to create your argument. I already knew that you wouldn't know Araya's beliefs, because you haven't even paid enough attention to the band to realize that this album has nothing to do with "hail satan".
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
31.07.2011 - 13:47
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 31.07.2011 at 10:32

Wow, spoken like a true politician. Ignore 90% of my post, and twist the other 10% around to create your argument. I already knew that you wouldn't know Araya's beliefs, because you haven't even paid enough attention to the band to realize that this album has nothing to do with "hail satan".

Why don't you just calm down. The lyrics Hail Satan! were present in one of the songs. I find it ridiculous and that's it. If they weren't serious with that shit (Satanism cannot be taken seriously anyway), that's fine. I still find it silly.
11.10.2011 - 21:26
moben

This album is very enjoyable.

Hits total: 47808 | This month: 198