20. Armoured Assault
21. Man Against Machine
22. Now Demolition
23. Thrasher
24. Enter The Grave
25. Schizophrenia

[limited edition DVD]

+ The DVD To End All DVDs

I guess most people didn't like Evile's new album. I didn't like it either at the beginning. But after having listened to it a few more time later, I have to admit that my attitude has changed. Originally Infected Nations came across as a boring collection of riffs, but now it seems more coherent and having some sort of a meaning. Before the album's release, the band members were saying that it would be a more mature album than their debut, and in a way it is. With Infected Nations they have definitely made some progress with songwriting; however, they are still searching for their style, and one can hear that they are experimenting and trying something new on this record. And it doesn't sound all that bad if you give it some time.

There is one big problem nevertheless. The vocals. In a way, Matt Drake has a rather suitable voice for thrash, the kind with distinct harshness in it, but the way he uses it is just booooooring. First album's frantic delivery is gone. Instead we have drawling words and nearly robotic delivery. I mean can it be more sterile and emotionless? Seriously, he just doesn't sound convincing, and what can be worse when thrash is not convincing? Besides that, half of the album is down-tempo thrash, which is in a way Evile's thing. But is it a good thing? Not too often on this album. Add occasionally boring sections to that, and I can tell why folks didn't like the album.

But here is the good news. The riffs and especially solos are generally enjoyable throughout the album. "Devoid of Thought" has some smart, groovy riffage in the chorus, "Infected Nation" has an amazing, lightning-fast riff before and after the first verse, which is just pure thrash awesomeness, and the bonus track "My Parasite" (why the heck is it a bonus track?) is just a solid piece of thrash assault. There are many more; just let them sink in. And the main delight of the album? Ol Drake. The dude knows what he is doing and shreds like hell. Just the solos on "Infected Nation," "Nosophoros," "Metamorphosis," and "Hundred Wrathful Deities" leave me with no choice but commend his ability, talent, and growth - a first-class guitar player.

In a nutshell, both musically and more so vocally Infected Nations lacks the kind of zest that makes thrash thrash. However, it seems like this is a transition album, and I feel that the next creation by these UK thrashers is going to blow us away. Evile possess a potential for development and I think we can expect something special from them.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by K✞ulu | 12.05.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
Great Britain is the birthplace of Heavy Metal. It was Black Sabbath who with their doom-laden riffs ushered in the age of Heavy Metal. They were the founders of a movement which is in its fourth decade now. The British Isles have been home to many of Metal's greatest bands and Metal would be lacking in luster without them. However from the 90's onwards Metal seemed to be in a downward spiral in Britain. During that time bands like Oasis, The Verve, etc., were everywhere and they were not even Metal. The Darkness emerged as the closest thing to Led Zeppelin but they were swallowed by their new-found fame. I have to admit that I have not heard much of modern Metal bands from Britain, but there is one band that has caught my eye and that band, which I believe is the future of British Metal, is Evile. But, on the contrary, the album about which I am going to write is not quite the kind of savior that I expected.

Read more ››
published 19.11.2010 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 79 users
12.05.2010 - 23:00
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Phew... Finally got it published... the most painstaking review in my life
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.05.2010 - 23:27
Rating: 10
thewall30

I agree with this review, the album really isn't that bad, but its not really that amazing either, the thing that bothers my the most is definetly Matt's voice compared to in their first album. Big improvement in songwriting as well! Anyways nice review!
----
13.05.2010 - 01:54
Rating: 6
Edmund Fogg

Lyrically the album is interesting but I think that is almost the only good thing about the album.I hope they won't be doing trial and error on each release because I will loose interest.The first album was really more promi9sing than this one IMO.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.05.2010 - 11:01
Rating: 10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
No Bro.You are wrong.Infected is better than their earlier release.Atleast I feel so.
13.05.2010 - 14:52
Edmund Fogg

I don<t know.I still bang my head to Enter the Grave.I know the riffs did sound repetitive from a song to another but at least it felt like true Trash Metal fun.Yes they have matured on this album but it sounds like they are tyaking themself too seriously and it led to a boring release.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.09.2011 - 15:23
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I'd revise my rating on this review at least a point higher and change the review itself a little.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.08.2012 - 16:45
Syk
myspace/bonerama
*nods in agreement* Good review. Opening parag = bang on. The vocals... I guess are one of their defining features, and it's almost certainly an intentional, concerted approach, it's just... combined with the riffs half the time, torturously boring. Soooo emotionless and almost perennially indistinct... I suppose it all may have been more [immediately] endearing had I not already heard + completely fallen in love with AJFA & a bunch of other techy thrash from 20+ years ago

BTW, we also agree re: Bonded - now they're enjoyable, but nowhere near as memorable as I'd like to think. Same goes for Dekapitator's second, and even my beloved Warb CD. Is it even possible for thrash to break ground, blow minds and be decently/perfectly memorable anymore?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
21.01.2017 - 01:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno, I like it well seems you're overistened old thrash and new thrash as well, I have not so much followed new bands so I like this shit
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4928 | This month: 2