01. Battery
02. Master Of Puppets
03. The Thing That Should Not Be
04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
05. Disposable Heroes
06. Leper Messiah
07. Orion
08. Damage, Inc.

A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets [maybe influenced by Black Sabbath] some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home [Sanitarium]" and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion" [with an intense and melodically brute bass line, perfectly played and composed by bass-God Cliff Burton]

On balance the cd [as you can see my favorite one] is really good, I will recommend this album to all people, especially to people who want to start listening to Metal, because this has been very important to the evolution of music, this is one kind of Led Zeppelin 4th album , Iron Maiden's: Number of the Beast. Just indispensable.

Metallica was in the top when in a terrible accident Cliff died. The band was touring in Denmark, when suddenly at night the Tour-Bus slide in an ice badge, the day was : September 27th of 1986.

Thank you for your beautiful music

R.I.P

10 February 1962 - 27 September 1986

CLIFF L . BURTON

Written by Account deleted | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Cal Wolvington
Rating:
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (67)

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 124   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 464 users
14.11.2007 - 22:48
Wehrmacht_33
Account deleted
Written by pyroleprechaun on 25.09.2006 at 04:00

Written by Largos on 25.09.2006 at 04:00

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit. When I hear this, I get a headache. Check metal-archives.com to see one good review that explains why this is so bad for metal.

I read the review and I agree with most of it. Even though this album sounds alright, it is extremely overrated.

<<WTF?..."good review"???...it's written by some fuckin stupids who doesn;t know nothing about thrash...they should Go listen some Mozzart....they really suck.
Battery and Damge Inc....are so fuckin good thrash...speed and agresively.
But Welcome Home(Sanitarium) is my favorite...i saw it many times played live...I just luv that song...specialy when it's played live.>>
14.11.2007 - 22:55
Wehrmacht_33
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.05.2007 at 20:59

This was probably the last great album that Metallica made before going all to suck. I shall reiterate a quote I made long ago that Metallica died when Cliff Burton died. "...And Justice For All" was good and their black album is catchy and a fun listen once in a while, but after that, all of their albums from "Load" onward are equivalent to a skunk covered in dog shit.

maybe the old metallica died when cliff burton died...i say is not like that...Justice4all is still heavy...the true change cammed with black album...and it was a logikal and normaly change.Because when they started in '81 they were nothing more but just some kids...look at hetfield voide...sound like a 17 years old boy...They need that change and Load...Reload...garage....have some GREAT songs....so you don't like just FUCKK OFF
06.12.2007 - 00:21
Rating: 10
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Justice on 23.05.2007 at 18:16

JUST MASTER OF PUPPETS
JUST CLIFF BURTON

don't you have any thing more to say?!?! you fool:lol:
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
06.12.2007 - 09:20
Justice
JUST MASTER OF PUPPETS
JUST CLIFF BURTON

NO THERE IS NOTHING TO HIDE
THAT'S ALL
14.12.2007 - 20:13
NickGavanas
Account deleted
This Is a fucking awesome album....It's something brilliant and none can publish sth like this...It kills!!!!!!
17.12.2007 - 14:04
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
When I was getting into metal I really worshipped this band. I dunno... This album just sounds so flat and bland to me these days. The only two songs that are still awesome are Disposable Heroes and Orion. There are loads of great riffs all over the album too but the songs plod on (and not in a good way) and get boring (perhaps partly down to the horrible production)...
18.12.2007 - 07:07
Magatouve
Account deleted
No matter what metal-archives and its stupid reviewer say about this album, it's still one of the greatest album of all time... not only in metal but in music history. If it had only the guitar solo of Master of Puppets and the instrumental Orion, it would still maintain the same position!! How many hearts have been banging on its riffs and lyrics for more than 20 years!!
Whenever u have a great band or a great man, there'll always b people trying to stand out by calling them 'stupid' or 'average'. I heard sth like that about Isaac Newton and Nietzsche!!
22.12.2007 - 02:50
VPeter
one of the most painfull boring and broken and extremly overated album I ever heard.
I only heard half way trough it, before I begged the person at the radio to turn it off and to please switch to something else.
Metallica always sucked to me, but this album takes the cake it is almost as bad as St. Anger.
22.12.2007 - 20:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
Tír na nog... you fucking belong in the sanatarium 'cuz with that opinion you must have some kind of long-term illness!
----
25.12.2007 - 18:30
VPeter
yeah I suffer from traumatized-by-horrible-album-syndrome
26.12.2007 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 25.12.2007 at 18:30

yeah I suffer from traumatized-by-horrible-album-syndrome

And yet you like Summoning and Cruachan?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2007 - 14:00
VPeter
yeah they helped me getting over this horrible album
26.12.2007 - 15:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 26.12.2007 at 14:00

a bit more off-topicness, I knew you were weird when you said you left Arnhem Metal Meeting after Cruachan, but now I am 100% sure.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2007 - 19:34
Rating: 8
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
You can be sure this album is never gonna be forgotten. I'm feeling alive with each song. Metallica: Master of Metal.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
29.12.2007 - 01:35
VPeter
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2007 at 15:31

a bit more off-topicness, I knew you were weird when you said you left Arnhem Metal Meeting after Cruachan, but now I am 100% sure.

and proud of it

for the sake of ontopicness: stop rating this album so high! it deserves to be at the bottom list not the top list
metallica are founders of one metal genre tough TRASH metal
02.01.2008 - 15:43
Rating: 9
Tod_Engel
Written by VPeter on 29.12.2007 at 01:35

for the sake of ontopicness: stop rating this album so high! it derserves to be at the bottem list not the top list

You're going over the top a bit. At the time, Metallica came out with MOP, it sounded fresh. It had appeal to more mainstream metalheads, but on the other hand to people listening to more underground metal. It has something..that doesn't mean it is the best (thrash) metal album to date. You should give it more credit
02.01.2008 - 18:23
Demonmayonnaise
I think this is one of the best thrash albums ever. Hell maybe even the best. The only album that really compares is Reign In Blood.
03.01.2008 - 00:51
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 02.01.2008 at 18:23
I think this is one of the best thrash albums ever. Hell maybe even the best. The only album that really compares is Reign In Blood.
As much as I hate Megadeth, and that's a lot, I really don't think Peace Sells is that far behind MoP. Ride the Lightning is also just as good, even better in my view, unless it's the time signatures that do it for you here. And there's tons of [relatively] underground things that may kick the shit out of everything we've already mentioned... Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death, Exodus - Bonded by Blood, Dark Angel - Darkness Descends, Wargasm - Why Play Around?, Kreator - Pleasure to Kill, Sodom - Agent Orange, early Metal Church, Heathen - Breaking the Silence, and I think you'll really like at least one of Forbidden's first two.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
20.02.2008 - 05:31
Rating: 3
Talvi
Written by VPeter on 29.12.2007 at 01:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2007 at 15:31

and proud of it

for the sake of ontopicness: stop rating this album so high! it derserves to be at the bottem list not the top list

You are not alone my man.

Oh, and this is Thrash? What, just Battery, Damage, Inc. and some riffs of Disposable Heroes, and if THAT'S agressive to you, you know NOTHING abuot thrash.

Everything has been said.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
25.03.2008 - 09:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
well.. doesnt matter what it is.. the thing is that the riffs are good.. and the songs are enjoyable. I give this album an 8.9.
Best tracks: Battery and Master of Puppets and Disposable Heroes.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.05.2008 - 19:01
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Great album. I don't know why it took me so long to get itno this album (Master of Puppets has been stuck in my head ever since zelda:four swords misadventures, very funny zelda spoof). Maybe it had to do with how thrash should be done and could thus never get into the how the riffs and drums played off each other. None the less, this album has great tracks from begining to end. I suppose my one wualm is the lenth of the songs. I like long songs like this since it makes the song more of an atmosphere more than just a snippet of music and ideas, but songs could have been cut by a minute or so. Riffs were also rather repetetive, but arn't as linear as most thrash tends to be. Overal a 9/10, maybe higher, i gotta get into this albujm a bit more.
15.05.2008 - 19:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i don't really think of this as 'best album ever!!!2e45y346' but i agree it's a nice album to thrash to, especially the first two songs and disposable heroes
19.05.2008 - 01:41
Dark-Member Alex
Account deleted
the final cd released with Cliff the best bassist player in the world
23.05.2008 - 19:40
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I'm to lazy to find out if somebody else already posted it, but didn't the accident take place in sweden?
23.05.2008 - 20:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Spyroid on 23.05.2008 at 19:40

I'm to lazy to find out if somebody else already posted it, but didn't the accident take place in sweden?

Yes we have... on page one of the comments
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2008 - 23:19
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2008 at 20:23

Written by Spyroid on 23.05.2008 at 19:40

Yes we have... on page one of the comments

Suspected that, but as mentioned - I am a very lazy person. Thanks for telling me
16.06.2008 - 22:43
SEVAK HETFIELD
Account deleted
master of pupets = god
20.07.2008 - 13:49
Thrash_bt
Definetly the best Metalica Album.Master Of puppets and Battery my favourite
03.08.2008 - 23:52
freddie420666
the original post says it sounds like ride the lightning.
i disagree.
it does somewhat.
but thats because its the same band.
but nice review.
i agree with it almost a 100%
08.08.2008 - 19:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
one of the best album ever by one of best band ever.
probably the best album ever and the best band ever.
thank u metallica for this piece of music.
cliff R.I.P.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.

Hits total: 25354 | This month: 51