05. I Am Morbid
06. 10 More Dead
07. Destructos VS The Earth / Attack
08. Nevermore
09. Beauty Meets Beast
10. Radikult
11. Profundis - Mea Culpa

Additional info
Release dates: June 6th: Europe, June 7th: North America.

Available in following formats:
- Wooden foldout box
- Metal starpak CD (Outside North America)
- Deluxe digipak CD (North America only)
- Double gatefold LP with download card
- Jewel case CD
- Digital download

Mixed by Sean Beavan for SOS Management Inc. at the Blue Room, Los Angeles, California.

Drums for "Profundis - Mea Culpa", "Destructos VS The Earth / Attack", "Too Extreme!", "Nevermore", "Beauty Meets Beast" and "Existo Vulgoré" recorded at Mana Recording Studios. Engineer: Erik Rutan.

Drums for "I Am Morbid", "Radikult", "Blades For Baal" and "10 More Dead" recorded at Red Room Studios. Enginner: Mark Prator.

Guitars, bass and vocals recorded at D.O.W. Studios. Engineer: Juan "Punchy" Gonzalez.

Vocals for "Existo Vulgoré", "Beauty Meets Beast" and "Profundis - Mea Culpa" recorded with Sean Beavan at the Blue Room, Los Angeles, California.

Cover artwork and booklet design by Gustavo Sazes.

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
More than any other release in recent times, Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus has polarized our staff members. As anyone familiar with these Floridian death metal forefathers knows, they just came back from a long 8 year absence with a new album that also features their original vocalist, David Vincent, for the first time in 16 years. Due to the notability of this release, we decided to create a collaborative review, which gives all of the staff members to voice their opinions. Here they are, ranging from most negative to quite positive.

Read more ››
published 13.06.2011 | Comments (61)

Staff pick by
Account deleted
So you thought you'd heard the pinnacle of experimental metal? Think again buster, Morbid Angel are here to please their fanbase with everything they could have ever wanted: rip-roaring hardcore snarls, air-punching electro-beatz, brutal, technical Rammstein-worship and truly forward-thinking lyrical content such as the never before contemplated "KILL A COP COP, KILL A COP, KILL-A-KILL-A-COP!" all of which will have you grabbing your glowsticks, squeezing into your favourite UV neon-latex vest and before you know it you'll be throwing shapes down your local Goth-pit, big-fish, little-fish, cardboard box style. Yeah, Morbid Angel know what they're doing and are making metal sexier than ever before.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 10

Comments: 294   Visited by: 2092 users
07.06.2011 - 01:14
Rating: 3
Slayer666
Written by Daniell on 06.06.2011 at 22:31

Woah, so many low ratings. I suppose "Too Extreme!" did that

But seriously, minus "Too Extreme!", "Radikult" and "Destructhos versus some shit slash some bullshit" this album is actually pretty decent. Two songs, "I am Morbid" and "10 More Dead" delicately skim the surface of excellence, and a few more are quite decent: "Nevermore", "Blades for Baal", "Beauty Meets Beast".

But, as it is in vogue this day and age, most people listened to the album once (if that), remembered the new adventurous tracks that obviously stand out, and rushed to bash the album. Listening done fast, superficially, hastily (so many other albums to download!!!), without proper attention that Morbid Angel deserve just for the sole fact that their 3 first albums are metal masterpieces. What can you remember from 1 listen? Fuck all, is what I say. But it's oh so tempting to jump the bandwagon and start the fucking bash carnival, blind as a bat and deaf as a 2x4.

Let's see how much I remember from my first and only listen:
1.Omni Potens - Not really a song, skipping it

2.Too Extreme! - Rob Zombie called, he wants Morbid Angel to stop using his rejected ideas for songs.

3.Existo Vulgore - Just plainly mediocre DM song, drums are extremely monotonous, a drum machine could have done a much better job. Predictable, boring song structure, too.

4. Blades for Baal - Read above, only a bit more extreme. Lame vocals tend to kill some decent moments.

5. I am Morbid - "Marlyn Manson does Death metal" is the best I can think of to describe this. It might appeal to some, but I find it complete horseshit.

6. 10 More Dead - The only song for which I can say is decent, or at least slightly above mediocre. Would have been much better if the drums didn't sound so fake.

7. Destructos Vs.the Earth / Attack - Uh, OK. This one confuses me. A lot. I liked it for the first few minutes, but then it got mind-numbingly boring.

8. Nevermore - Read 3.

9. Beauty Meets Beast - Read 8, but add one semi-interesting riff to that.

10. Radikult - Absolute garbage. A song like this would be completely unforgivable even on a debut album recorded in a basement somewhere in northern Sahara. Hell, even if it was the best song I've heard in my life, I'd still probably hate it because the lyrics reach a whole new level of idiocy.

11. Profundis - Mea Culpa - Eeh, what the fuck? Filler/garbage.

If there is someone blind as a bat and deaf as a 2x4, it's only you with your presumptions of knowing everyone's listening experiences. Guess what, mate, you're not all-knowing and you can't possibly know how others have listened to it. The worst part about is that you presume that based solely on the fact that you liked a few tracks. If you liked it, it's got to be good, right? Therefore, the experiences and opinions of others are invalid.
07.06.2011 - 01:15
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Well, I almost gave it a 1. I gave it a 3 because of a number of half-decent redeemable moments. Most of the album, however, was terrible beyond belief (particularly Too Extreme!, which was ironically a little too cute). Maybe I'm suffering from the idea that I'm just a fanboy and I can't be objective. I just get the feeling that I don't understand the record at all. It just feels...so un-Morbid Angel. But maybe that's what they were trying to do...Expect a few listens before final evaluation.
07.06.2011 - 01:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 00:50

Let people have their disappointment, we've all had ours at some point or another.

Thank you (and for the rest of the comment I snipped).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2011 - 01:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.06.2011 at 01:47

Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 00:50

Let people have their disappointment, we've all had ours at some point or another.

Thank you (and for the rest of the comment I snipped).

Quite welcome! At least this way I can be free to moan about 'Engram' whenever I like.
07.06.2011 - 02:36
Rating: 6
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Slayer666 on 07.06.2011 at 01:14

3.Existo Vulgore - Just plainly mediocre DM song, drums are extremely monotonous, a drum machine could have done a much better job. Predictable, boring song structure, too.

4. Blades for Baal - Read above, only a bit more extreme. Lame vocals tend to kill some decent moments.

8. Nevermore - Read 3.

blades for baal and nevermore are much better songs than the "2 riffs song" existo vulgore. they dont belong in the same category...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
07.06.2011 - 02:36
Rating: 2
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Even the normal death metal parts on this album are fucking generic and boring. And, how is this album "fresh"? It sounds like Marilyn Manson tried to make a death metal album. The whole thing sounds dumbed-down and rushed.

I can picture my son 15 years from now going through my CD collection, seeing all of my Morbid Angel albums, and just saying to me "u gay bro"

I'm more butthurt over this album than I was with new Cryptopsy because Gateways to Annihilation was my first death metal album that I ever bought. Definitlely a top 5 favorite death metal band for me who never sold out in the 90's when it was fashionable to do so, until now

I remember downloading the leak of Heretic before it came out (Limewire lol) and remembering people making a fuss over it. I did and still like it, but this piece of shit is inexcusable. They need to change their name or something if they plan on continuing this style.
07.06.2011 - 05:44
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I'd like to kill myself and then kill myself again in the afterlife. I feel both confused and betrayed.
07.06.2011 - 09:17
KvltovKthvlhv
There are two extreme views on albums of this type that kind of get under my skin. First is the idea that experimenting automatically means its a good album, and the second being that any extreme change in a bands sound means they sold out, or that they automatically suck now. The truth is this album is far from good, but also not the worst album ever released, it has some decent moments on it. The industrial touches could have added so much to Morbid Angel's sound, but they did it all wrong in my opinion, it just seemed that the riffs were uninspired on a lot of the tracks and the industrial touches were added not out of being relevant to the song but purely for the sake of adding something new to the sound. They still know how to write some kick ass solos though. Despite the few decent moments on this album, I think I'll stick to Altars, Covenant, or Domination.
----
When night falls she cloaks the world in impenatrable darkness, a chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...suddenly life has new meaning
07.06.2011 - 09:23
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 07.06.2011 at 01:14

If there is someone blind as a bat and deaf as a 2x4, it's only you with your presumptions of knowing everyone's listening experiences. Guess what, mate, you're not all-knowing and you can't possibly know how others have listened to it. The worst part about is that you presume that based solely on the fact that you liked a few tracks. If you liked it, it's got to be good, right? Therefore, the experiences and opinions of others are invalid.

My only point was that 1 listen does not warrant a good opinion about any album. That's all I wanted to say. There's no need to dissect my brain and assume such a lot of things...
07.06.2011 - 10:54
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
This woulda made a good CNK album, but I could not anticipate Morbid Angel goin in this direction. Especially not with The Missle filling in for Pete Sandoval.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.06.2011 - 12:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Daniell on 07.06.2011 at 09:23

My only point was that 1 listen does not warrant a good opinion about any album. That's all I wanted to say. There's no need to dissect my brain and assume such a lot of things...

Highly doubt it as there are many cds in my collection that were love at first sight or completely awful at first siht as well.
There are many album that need time to digest but this is NOT one of them, there's no deepness in this album at all, nothing between the lines, you get what you lsiten at first sight because of the massive shallowness of this record.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.06.2011 - 12:37
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I understand and accept your opinion, even though I disagree with it. In my eyes it's impossible to digest an album after 1 listen. But well, opinions vary.
to each his own
07.06.2011 - 18:14
Rating: 7
Huntteri
I must be a masocist, because I actually liked it O.o yeah it really wasn't the album I was waiting for, but the only song I didin't like was Radikult... Weird, but it was decent
07.06.2011 - 18:26
iMorphball
What a let down. I love Morbid Angel and was so excited for a comeback. It's been 8 damn years and all they can come up with is this piece of shit? My God, should've just re-recorded one of their masterpieces or something. They can't write anymore, apparently. So let down, so betrayed.
07.06.2011 - 19:24
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Was it that horrid beyond radish kult?

so destructo vs the earth or whatever sounds like Trey went overboard with his love of anime and wrote a themesong to a non-existent show.

to me it seemed largely like a slight but mediocre continuation of Domination. it's not good, but i don't think it is that terribly horrid. then again, i wasn't expecting another Blessed or Covenant, so it's not like i had as ridiculous expectations as others had... i kept the "meh" Heretic as my benchmark.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.06.2011 - 19:24
Rupert
Written by Guest on 06.06.2011 at 23:28

I'm currently listening to the track 'Too Extreme!' and frankly, I can name 100 bands more extreme than this song.

I think you missed the point on that one. The title of that track screams sarcasm to me.

EDIT: I just listened to a song - not being too familiar with their earlier work I must say wtf is everyone bitching about? Sure, there are probably dumb lyrics but since when has anyone really cared? I heard pretty decent death metal and I'd like to hear more of it.
07.06.2011 - 19:29
Vikcen
Metálico

But, as is it in vogue this day and age, most people listened to the album once (if that), remembered the new adventurous tracks that obviously stand out, and rushed to bash the album. Listening done fast, superficially, hastily (so many other albums to download!!!), without proper attention that Morbid Angel deserve just for the sole fact that their 3 first albums are metal masterpieces. What can you remember from 1 listen? Fuck all, is what I say. But it's oh so tempting to jump the bandwagon and start the fucking bash carnival, blind as a bat and deaf as a 2x4.

All this are remembering me to Metallica, .
07.06.2011 - 20:32
Thrash666
8 years..... 8 long fucking years of waiting for a new Morbid Angel record..... and this is what we get? Hopefully its some sick joke that Trey has put together and soon the real Illud Divinum Insanus will be released to the public. But if not, and this is really the new morbid angel album..... Worst record ever. I hate to say that for a Morbid Angel record but its true. This record sounds nothing like MA or true death metal. I dont know what the fuck happened but this record needs to be locked away and Morbid Angel needs to start over. Yes, they arent going to release Altars of Madness every single time but at least they can make the newer stuff some good, and in this case they didnt. I will forever love MA but the new album is shit. Maybe Evil D should stop wearing leather spandex....... theres a good start....... Now we are just gonna have to wait for the next record....... 8 years and counting....
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
08.06.2011 - 10:54
I'm listening to Morbid Angel old albums, to remind myself how great they used to be....

R.I.P. Morbid Angel!
08.06.2011 - 13:05
Tatras
Guys, go listen to Nader Sadek and Hate Eternal, and forget about this crap. New Origin is masterpiece to.
08.06.2011 - 14:38
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Vikcen on 07.06.2011 at 19:29

But, as is it in vogue this day and age, most people listened to the album once (if that), remembered the new adventurous tracks that obviously stand out, and rushed to bash the album. Listening done fast, superficially, hastily (so many other albums to download!!!), without proper attention that Morbid Angel deserve just for the sole fact that their 3 first albums are metal masterpieces. What can you remember from 1 listen? Fuck all, is what I say. But it's oh so tempting to jump the bandwagon and start the fucking bash carnival, blind as a bat and deaf as a 2x4.

Which is a perfectly viable comparison. Morbid Angel are to death metal what Metallica are to thrash metal. Co-creators and a major influence. And, exactly as was the case with Metallica, Morbid Angel's attempt at a switch in style (regardless of its quality, which is a separate matter) is met with furious lashout from one-listen critics. It's DIFFERENT, so there's no need to listen closely, it must suck.

Don't get me wrong, I also absolutely hate "Too Extreme" and "Destructhos" just as most people, but I think that all the joy MA gave me throughout the years of listening to their quality releases (say, up to and including "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh") warrants at least quite a few listens of their new offering before trampling it underfoot. They deserve a chance. Sadly, the internet community is the most merciless community on this planet, so respect and sentiment don't apply here.
08.06.2011 - 14:59
Horus
Shit.
08.06.2011 - 15:49
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Daniell on 08.06.2011 at 14:38

Written by Vikcen on 07.06.2011 at 19:29

Which is a perfectly viable comparison. Morbid Angel are to death metal what Metallica are to thrash metal. Co-creators and a major influence. And, exactly as was the case with Metallica, Morbid Angel's attempt at a switch in style (regardless of its quality, which is a separate matter) is met with furious lashout from one-listen critics. It's DIFFERENT, so there's no need to listen closely, it must suck.

Don't get me wrong, I also absolutely hate "Too Extreme" and "Destructhos" just as most people, but I think that all the joy MA gave me throughout the years of listening to their quality releases (say, up to and including "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh") warrants at least quite a few listens of their new offering before trampling it underfoot. They deserve a chance. Sadly, the internet community is the most merciless community on this planet, so respect and sentiment don't apply here.

I totally agree with what you say, sometimes it is simply a matter of respect.
To give an example, here in MetalStorm really we are four cats, out of MetalStorm you have an opinion about an album in particular more extensive. The tastes in a community in particular usually are very similar in the deep down.
08.06.2011 - 16:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Actually the noise and experimental fanbase are far more brutal in my experience. There's no such thing as fanboyism in their circles, only cold-hard critiquing and sarcasm. Probably because it attracts an intellectual elite, not the culturally/visually attractive, semi-mass appeal you get with metal.
08.06.2011 - 16:48
Zap
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.06.2011 at 00:05

it has very very average industrial like Too Extreme! (seriously, that shit sounds exactly like madagascar's I like to move it move it")

Haha, that's so true
08.06.2011 - 17:31
Rating: 4
H-metal
When the single came out I tought the track #2 (destructos vs the earth) was just a bad taste remix. Like those b-sides from Cradle of Filth.
Oh, man... Such a let down.
I'll give this album a few more tries, but.......
----
I listen to metal before you were even born...
08.06.2011 - 18:28
Tatras
Written by H-metal on 08.06.2011 at 17:31

When the single came out I tought the track #2 (destructos vs the earth) was just a bad taste remix. Like those b-sides from Cradle of Filth.
Oh, man... Such a let down.
I'll give this album a few more tries, but.......

I gave it few more tries and my rating felt 1 down
08.06.2011 - 20:07
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 08.06.2011 at 16:00

Actually the noise and experimental fanbase are far more brutal in my experience. There's no such thing as fanboyism in their circles, only cold-hard critiquing and sarcasm. Probably because it attracts an intellectual elite, not the culturally/visually attractive, semi-mass appeal you get with metal.

Noise attracts intellectual elite? Damn, I'm probably way down on the intelligence scale then.
08.06.2011 - 20:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 08.06.2011 at 20:07

Written by Guest on 08.06.2011 at 16:00

Noise attracts intellectual elite? Damn, I'm probably way down on the intelligence scale then.

People who are heavily into noise are generally quite an odd bunch, on the internet at least. Far more frustrating to deal with than any metaller.
08.06.2011 - 21:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Someone please bring holy water.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 47359 | This month: 113