Metal Storm logo
Spanish Producer BigSimon Died At 34

Widely known as BigSimon, his real name was Simón Echeverría Romero. He was 34, and moved with his parents from Santiago de Chile to London at the age of 1, to flee from Pinochet's dictatorship. There, he studied music before moving to Madrid at 12, where he started a great career as a producer. His last works include the new albums of Mägo De Oz, Saratoga and Stravaganzza.

He also played the guitar with the band Not For Us. His carrer as a producer began by working as an assistant in the Sintonía studios in Madrid where he worked with the best national and international producers. Those last years, he worked as a free-lance producer for many hard rock and progressive bands. His death was a shock to all the people of the Madrid music scene, who went to see him before he was incinerated on Wednesday morning, 2nd of July at Almudena's crematory.

He was an excellent, nice person loved by fans and the people he worked with. One of the most talentuous creators ever coming from the Spanish rock scene now rests in peace, because of a liver cancer detected a few weeks ago, when he had just finished the work on the new Skizoo album in Murcia. He died on Monday, 31st of July 2006.

Translated from Spanish.

You can read the reactions of some bands on their official websites:
Mägo De Oz
Stravaganzza

R.I.P. BigSimon

Source: mariskalrock.com
Posted: 13.08.2006 by wrathchild

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 7   Visited by: 1 user
13.08.2006 - 14:29
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
R.I.P BigSimon Spanish metal/rock music scene has lost a lot, he gave the sound for so many good spanish bands. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
13.08.2006 - 15:45
noks
Account deleted
Even though i do not know who he was, he may still rest in peace. Damn you cancer
13.08.2006 - 16:29
RavenLord

I don't know him, but the loss of anyone connected with the music scene at such a young age is a tragic loss. R.I.P. BigSimon
----
13.08.2006 - 19:24
Icewings
La Luna
Well , even that I alredy new because the new isn't that new ..it was a couple of days I found out , I'm very sorry , because he was a great producer , and he help bands like Stravaganzza a lot and did other wonderful things ...but Rest In Peace , and I guess it was his time to go ... My deepest Synpathy ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
13.08.2006 - 22:01
Dam3k

Incredible I still remember their appareances in my Saratoga's dvds
----

14.08.2006 - 00:18
wrathchild

To be completely honest, I don't think he was one of the best producers but many Spanish bands needed someone that could do something else, something a bit newer, and he was the man to do it. But he sure was a great person, I have no doubt about it.

Also, dying at 34 years, in just a few days... That's freaking me out. I had just discovered about his death a day ago, and I felt very sorry and also sorry because of the lack of news about that: I refuse to believe Spanish metal is not important, and I refuse to believe his contribution to this scene was not important.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
15.08.2006 - 12:12
lordz
IzZo
RIP amigo............ Dont know the guy but defenatly a loss to the metal scene

Hits total: 2090 | This month: 2