Metal Storm logo
Best band name

Original post

Posted by Don Martin, 22.05.2010 - 23:14
What is in your opinion the best band name ever? Also write a little explanation please.

Mine is Rompeprop (dutch for Torsoclot) . The guys from the band where watching some freak show or something on the tv and there was a lady on it with some huge tumor in the area of her torso and one of the guys screamed "Da's ne grote rompeprop!" (That's a big torsoclot!). It might not appeal to non-dutch speaking people, but it's kinda "funny".
26.05.2010 - 14:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Cyroth on 26.05.2010 at 12:49

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - love the idea

so this band already appeared both in "best" and "lamest" band names topics

btw. i forgot to mention Nebelhorn and Kinstrife & Blood in my previous post
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.05.2010 - 17:05
SerratedSyringe

Anaal Nathrakh. Contrary to popular belief, their name has nothing to do with the anus. As previously stated, Impaled Nazarene is an awesome name as well.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
26.05.2010 - 17:21
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Ellrohir on 26.05.2010 at 09:31

Blind Guadian
Deathspell Omega
Judas Priest
Moonsorrow
Nebular Mystic

I don't know Except for Judas Priest they all sound too fancy.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.05.2010 - 18:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And...does it matter?
----

26.05.2010 - 19:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Not really.. I just don't associate fancy with good oftenly
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.05.2010 - 19:38
Mikyz

I like Immortal, Emperor, Samael, Behemoth, Mumakil, Atheist, Edge of Sanity, Dismember, Entombed, Immolation... mostly one word names but my favorite remains Immortal.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
27.05.2010 - 03:44
Edmund Fogg

Written by Tunafish on 25.05.2010 at 23:59

Well, Children Of Bodom has something for me. The name itself isn't really that cool, but basing your bands name on mysterious murders is pretty awesome

Further, Agalloch sounds nice, Paradise Lost, Iced Earth, Drudkh, Eluveitie (sounds so sweet and flowery ), Bastaerdschwaerd, names like that.

What is so great about Iced Earth.The name itself feels kinda lame.they are a great band that does really good Metal but the name cmon its like calling your band Frosty Dirt.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
27.05.2010 - 12:32
Tunafish

Written by Edmund Fogg on 27.05.2010 at 03:44

Well, Children Of Bodom has something for me. The name itself isn't really that cool, but basing your bands name on mysterious murders is pretty awesome

Further, Agalloch sounds nice, Paradise Lost, Iced Earth, Drudkh, Eluveitie (sounds so sweet and flowery ), Bastaerdschwaerd, names like that.

What is so great about Iced Earth.The name itself feels kinda lame.they are a great band that does really good Metal but the name cmon its like calling your band Frosty Dirt.

I don't know, maybe the idea of a frozen earth. Guess it's difference in taste.
----
Good, better, best, me.
27.05.2010 - 13:34
Edmund Fogg

Written by Tunafish on 27.05.2010 at 12:32

Written by Edmund Fogg on 27.05.2010 at 03:44

I don't know, maybe the idea of a frozen earth. Guess it's difference in taste.

Yeah when you think about the whole planet it packs more punch.It's just not the first image that comes to mind when I hear their names.

On a different note, One great name for a Metal band would be Black Sabbath. it invokes really dark,culty and bloody images for me.
----
30.05.2010 - 22:21
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Death.

It's suits the band perfectly. It's short, simple, too the point and it just a fuckin' metal name.
31.05.2010 - 07:35
SerratedSyringe

I almost forgot Graveworm. I think that one is my favorite.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
31.05.2010 - 09:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
I always thought Voivod was a good name for a metal band.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.06.2010 - 17:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
To me it sounds like "Vodovod", which is czech word for "water supply network"
----

01.06.2010 - 19:47
Kennoth

Written by Ellrohir on 01.06.2010 at 17:14

To me it sounds like "Vodovod", which is czech word for "water supply network"

Haha, same here. Slavic languages are all alike, one would say.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.06.2010 - 14:55
vezzy
Stallmanite
Heh, I've never thought of that, I always think about "voivode/voivoda".
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.06.2010 - 16:22
Kennoth

Also makes me thing about the void
----
04.06.2010 - 22:50
caimanjosh

Moonsorrow is a pretty cool name, though not as good as the band itself. But my favorite band name is probably Insane Clown Posse. (Yeah, they're not metal, I know. I'm not even sure what kinda music they are; I don't listen to them. But the name always makes me chuckle.)
04.06.2010 - 23:12
Edmund Fogg

In non Metal bands, I would have to go with Immortal Technique or Jedi Mind Trick.Those names are just awesome
----
05.06.2010 - 03:48
Kennoth

Insane Clown Posse is a gay name to me tbh
----
08.06.2010 - 09:43
babak-sdn

Written by caimanjosh on 04.06.2010 at 22:50

Moonsorrow is a pretty cool name, though not as good as the band itself. But my favorite band name is probably Insane Clown Posse. (Yeah, they're not metal, I know. I'm not even sure what kinda music they are; I don't listen to them. But the name always makes me chuckle.)

yeah... i agree. there's no suitable name for that awesome band
OMG!! Insane Clown Posse is a hip-hop band!! huuuh!!........
hmmm... Dream Theater is the best band name .this name is so pretty
08.06.2010 - 14:59
Entropic Silence

I like insane clown posse as a name (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs fuckin' magnets. I can't work out whether or not this video is taking the piss but sadly I think they're serious). Btw if anyone wants to know...

System of a Down always sounded cool.

There's a band called Face Down in Shit. I haven't heard their music, but I think their name tells me all I need to know (if anyone would like to contradict me, be my guest)

Cattle decapitation is a good name. Although this time the album art of a cow's backside with a human head sticking out of it tells me all I need to know about their music (although I don't mind The harvest floor).

Neurosis would take the cake for me though.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
08.06.2010 - 20:41
Fëanor

Written by Introspekrieg on 22.05.2010 at 23:19

Strapping Young Lad, in my opinion, is the epitome of awesomeness. It conveys both a sense of power and humor, perfectly describing the band.

+1
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
08.06.2010 - 21:09
M

Orphaned Land , Death , Dark Tranquillity , Grand Magus and The Tea Party are my favs.
09.06.2010 - 01:53
Gordon Freeman

There should be a band called Frosty Dirt.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
09.06.2010 - 13:07
arwestromen

Gorgoroth is an awesome name for a black metal band... don't know if it means anything but the name just fits so well with the genre
Also I thing Azrael is a great name for a metal band...belive Azrael is the name for the angel of death
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
09.06.2010 - 13:52
Edmund Fogg

Written by Gordon Freeman on 09.06.2010 at 01:53

There should be a band called Frosty Dirt.

Well if you like the name you can use it I have no copyrights on it.To me it just sounds silly.But I guess it would be great for a Joke Band that parodies Power and Extreme Power
----
09.06.2010 - 15:19
M

Written by arwestromen on 09.06.2010 at 13:07

Gorgoroth is an awesome name for a black metal band... don't know if it means anything

"A plateau in north-western Mordor, in the midst of which stands the volcanic Mount Doom." so gorgoroth is a area from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
09.06.2010 - 19:22
busta5000
Account deleted
Well I might have something old but why don't you take current names you like & translate them in either aramiac or latin but within english letters many bands do that.
10.06.2010 - 11:32
arwestromen

Written by M on 09.06.2010 at 15:19

Written by arwestromen on 09.06.2010 at 13:07

Gorgoroth is an awesome name for a black metal band... don't know if it means anything

"A plateau in north-western Mordor, in the midst of which stands the volcanic Mount Doom." so gorgoroth is a area from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

OK now that I know that it doesn't have the same ring to it anymore.....now it's just cheezy
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
10.06.2010 - 13:12
M

Haha so sorry