Metal Storm logo
Genesis

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 14.08.2006 - 08:33
One of prog rocks finest acts,if not the finest act,until of course they went pop,which I will admit I like some of.They career started with From Genesis to Revelation and completey rearranging their sound with a truly great release in Trespass (a true classic).Then came Nursery Cryme,and the ever classic Foxtrot.Selling England by the Pound I must say is my favorite album by them,"Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" is my favorite song.I have heard almost all of their stuff except for Lamb Lies down on Broadway which is a shame,and I hope to listen very soon!Anyways let me know what you think of this legendary prog band!
29.10.2012 - 00:26
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Genesis are definitely one of the most amazing bands of all time. One of the few bands that were able to stay on top with different styles, I love both progressive style, or the more commercial Genesis of 80's. One of the most inspirational acts ever!! I think my opinion is well expressed in the articles I wrote about Genesis: (didn't know there was a topic about Genesis lol)

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1152
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1153
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1158

Read them if you want and tell me what you think..

greets,
kual21
----
greets,
kual21
05.03.2020 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
British rock band Genesis have confirmed they are reforming for a 2020 tour -- their first in 13 years.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/04/entertainment/genesis-reunion-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

ov. 23 - M&S Bank Arena - Liverpool, UK
Nov. 26 - Utilita Arena - Newcastle, UK
Nov. 29 - O2 Arena - London, UK
Nov. 30 - O2 Arena - London, UK
Dec. 02 - First Direct Arena - Leeds, UK
Dec. 05 - Arena Birmingham - Birmingham, UK
Dec. 08 - Manchester Arena - Manchester, UK
Dec. 11 - SSE Hydro - Glasgow, UK
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2021 - 12:48
Joppe
Steelemeister
Listening the debut album after a few years away from it. An essential album to me because some of the songs are rather good but in overall the album is forgettable. Still, it is always an interesting listen due to the lack of progginess of their later albums. My favorites are: The Serpent, Am I Very Wrong?, In The Wilderness and The Conqueror -- that's four great songs in a row. Recommended for those who can see past the low reviews.
----
My vision is augmented
28.09.2021 - 14:09
JoHn Doe
Written by Joppe on 28.09.2021 at 12:48

Listening the debut album after a few years away from it. An essential album to me because some of the songs are rather good but in overall the album is forgettable. Still, it is always an interesting listen due to the lack of progginess of their later albums. My favorites are: The Serpent, Am I Very Wrong?, In The Wilderness and The Conqueror -- that's four great songs in a row. Recommended for those who can see past the low reviews.

nice to see FGTR getting some love, even a little bit.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.01.2023 - 18:18
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by JoHn Doe on 28.09.2021 at 14:09

nice to see FGTR getting some love, even a little bit.

Maybe I downplayed it on the comment, I do enjoy this music quite a lot and to me it's much better album than Trespass is. Also music such as this plays a part on the comment I made earlier about 69-72 being the greatest era musically Re-listening to it right now and i think I'm gonna skip Trespass this time as I only enjoy The Knife from its songs.
----
My vision is augmented
28.01.2023 - 19:36
Joppe
Steelemeister
I did end up listening to Trespass again, now I need to update my journal not to do it again, because I have been in this situation before where I forget about this album and its shortcomings. I see where they were trying to go with the longer song lengths and with prog getting big in this era, but it's an awkward record, it's not good or interesting until The Knife, it's a practise for their later albums.
----
My vision is augmented
06.04.2023 - 15:47
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 06.04.2023 at 15:39

Trespass is super underrated and top 3-4 Genesis album for me. Side A is great and The Knife is tremendously tight for a symphonic prog song from 1970.

I agree, i wouldn't put Trespass that high though, but it is a great album.
Also there was plenty of tight symph-prog (and not only) even in 1970 (Yes, Cressida, ELP, also Caravan and Gentle Giant, VDGG and so on).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
06.04.2023 - 16:02
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 06.04.2023 at 15:57

Written by JoHn Doe on 06.04.2023 at 15:47

Also there was plenty of tight symph-prog (and not only) even in 1970 (Yes, Cressida, ELP, also Caravan and Gentle Giant, VDGG and so on).

I meant specifically year 1970. ELP's Barbarian song and Gentle Giant's debut are heavier and more hard rock oriented, but the rest bands you mentioned not so much. And in Gentle Giant case, those harder songs were actually progressive rock/heavy psych blend rather than full-blown symphonic prog.

ELP and Emerson's previous band The Nice and even early Procol Harum and the Moody Blues and even King Crimson's debut helped shape symphonic prog back then. Personally I love early Yes, those two albums with Peter Banks on guitar are great IMO.

Tight playing is essential in any kind of prog. That's the beauty of it I guess.
----
06.04.2023 - 16:19
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 06.04.2023 at 16:13

Written by JoHn Doe on 06.04.2023 at 16:02

ELP and Emerson's previous band The Nice and even early Procol Harum and the Moody Blues and even King Crimson's debut helped shape symphonic prog back then. Personally I love early Yes, those two albums with Peter Banks on guitar are great IMO.

Tight playing is essential in any kind of prog. That's the beauty of it I guess.

I'm not sure If I know how the first part of your message is related to what I said, but tight playing is not essential in all kinds of prog. Perhaps our definition of "tight" in terms of music is different, but many bands can be progressive through more conceptual songwritting and willingness to experiment and extend the boundaries of rock music, and not necessarily through technicality in itself. King Crimson's Epitaph is symphonic prog, but you are not gonna tell me it's "tight".

Maybe you're right, by "tight" i mean musicians complement each other, no sloppiness, the music has a great flow, never forced. Also never technical for the simple sake of it. I'm not good with words here...
----
06.04.2023 - 16:41
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 06.04.2023 at 16:24

Written by JoHn Doe on 06.04.2023 at 16:19

Maybe you're right, by "tight" i mean musicians complement each other, no sloppiness, the music has a great flow, never forced. Also never technical for the simple sake of it. I'm not good with words here...

Perhaps it's my fault by using term that is actually very broad and might mean many different things depending on who you ask and what is the matter of subject.

Mind sharing your Genesis ranking from their golden era(70'-76', unless you would like to include some other albums)?

well, let's see...
Selling England by the Pound and A Trick of the Tail - a tie these days
Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme - another tie I dare say.
Wind & Wuthering
The Lamb...
Trespass
And Then there were Three
Duke
From Genesis to Revelation

The albums from 1981 to 1997 have some good occasional moments. That's another story.
----