Metal Storm logo
Your personal Top10 Metal Songs

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 14.08.2006 - 14:24
Well, I think it would be cool if everyone had the chance to post their most favourite 10 metal songs. To keep it deverse - one song per artist. Also don't forget to include explanaitions for the songs you chose...

so here is mine (at least at the moment):

1. Children Of Bodom - Bodom After Midnight
This is the most difficult pick ever - I simply cannot pick my favourite COB song, since this is my alltime favourite band. I love the dynamics, I love the feeling, I love the vocals, I love the technicallity and I love the writing... for this is just the perfect music. Even the new album that tends to be a little bit new just plainly makes me happy when I hear it. Great stuff!

2. Lacuna Coil - Haeven's a lie
I love Lacuna Coil. And especially the more powerfull and catchy songs. For me Heaven's a lie is the anthem of a particular approach to metal that I hope will develom more and more. It has some great melodies, an amazing chorus and some great keyboards samples that simply make the music much more colorful and interesting at least for me (I play keyboards )

3. SlipKnot - My Plague (yes, I consider this metal)
Well, for me this song combines the two post difficult things to put together in metal. Melody and brutallity. I really like catchy stuff and the chorus is both vigourus, catchy and of course melodic. While the verse retains a very cool agressive brutal feel. And the nicest part of all it that the brutallity and the catchyness can ve felt troughout the whole song. Btw, I prefer the shorter version cause it's more to the point and more in your face basicly. And it's more radio-friendly as much as a song with growling in the verse can be and there's something I would like to note about SlipKnot's stuff. I don't think they are that untrue, because they are heavy as f**k. Actually it's most probably the heaviest and most agressive band on my list.

4. In Flames - Only for the weak
In Flames for me are just an awesome band and Clayman is one of my favourite albums ever (top 5 materisal basicly). An Only For The Weak is one of the coolest songs on the album. I'm not the biggest fan of the new In Flames stuff, but Clayman for me will probably always be the best gothenburg or melodic death metal (whatever you call it) albums ever. It is catchy, it is heavy, it has crunching guitar leads. What else could you possible want?

5. Metallica - One
Do I really need to explain. I love almost eveything about that song, from the music trough the inspiration for it to the story of it. For me it signifies the entrace of metal into the mainstream which for me is a cool thing. I think the more metal spreads the better. I would be gladly watching all of the bands on this list on MTV and reading how they earn tons of money, cause I belive they all (and not only them) deserve it more than Breatney Spears or Backstreet Boys. And there's something more. And aslo the music is so great. The verses are so emotional and well written... and the ending part just freakin kicks ass!!! Again, a great song combining emotions, bisicly lyrical music with really heavy stuff. Also this is probably the only Metallica solo (Kirk is one of the weakest guitarists ever!!!) that I really dig (may be also Nothing Else Matters), cause no matter that it's not so virtuoso it's just really well written. I also chose this song cause I wanted to have Metallica on the list and I was wandering what to choose. Cause they have both heavy songs and ballads. And both rock. So I picked One also beacause it fully represents them at their best (not like St.Anger which sucked)

6. Crematory - The Fallen
Just a perfect song. Nothig else to say Very cool keyboard melody. Great overall feel. Cool Melodic Verse and a really killer Chorus. That's it. And a cool tempo. I really dig this type of songs.

7. Amorphis - Crimson Wave
Another unique song. The whole album Am Universum for a very long time was one of my favourites. Some really catchy stuff on there. And in this particular song the thing that is sung over the opening riff (a bridge or a chorus probably... I don't really know with this a bit strange song structure) just makes me wanna jump around and headbang. And in addition to all the musical quality in this song, I also have some plainly personal reasons to love it

8. Nightwish - She is my sin
Well, we just need one more Finnish band in that list, huh I generally do not dig so much most of the stuff Nightwish do, but some of their songs are really really cool. And the coolest of them all is She is my sin. This song also helped me alongside Children Of Bodom to turn my mother into a metal aprechiator I really love the keyboards and the melody in this song. It just creates a great great feel for me. I like every single note that's in it and that is a very rare thing to happen with me. Especially with a song by Nightwish, cause didn't really like (and still don't) Tarja. No need to say that I was very happy when they kicked her out. I hope they find a singer that is not so operaic, so they can appeal to a larger audience and double the success they had with Once (which for me is thier strongest effort by far... it's just much more agressive and catchy than the older stuff.)

9. Soulfly - Seekin' Strike
Max Cavalera for me is among the greatest man of metal. Basicly godlike, despite the bunch of not so good songs he's done also especialy with Prophecy for example.. I love the way he writes his music and I really love his vocals. And this particular song just makes me wanna headbang and mosh in the most brutal pit possible.

10. Sepultura - Refuse/Resist
Well, the old Sepultura. What can you say... for me they are
a legend. And as I mentioned before Max is almost a God... And for me personally this is maybe thier coolest song (among others). I really dig everything about it, which all comes down to sheer brutallity. I love the mosh vibe Sepultura have to all thier stuff (I'm talking about the old Sepultura... I wouldn't mosh on Bullet the blue sky for example unless I really have to ). And also this is again a pretty personal song for me especially with the momorry of singing in on stage (on a totally inapropriate for that one) and scarying some jazz lovers and musicians out of the hall (yep, as I said, I generally play keyboards, but when my band needs someone to grawl it's usually me + Refuse/Resist doesn't really need keyboards anyway)
05.03.2017 - 19:02
Antares8001

Damn this thread is old. Anyhow in the unlikely case that anyone will read it:

1. Iron Maiden - Flight of the Icarus:
Well Iron Maiden is one of my all time favorite bands and it was between this, Hallowed be Thy Name and Children of the damned. I loved the epic increasingly voluminous riffs, the soaring solo along with Dickinson's equally awesome vocal performance, but at the end it comes down to this song causing emotional response in me like no other was able to.

2. Judas Priest - Victim of Changes:
I'm one of the few people who thinks that Priest 70s work is far better than their 80s stuff and this song just personifies everything i love about that era. Starting out with a Led Zeppelin like riff a slower mid section and closing with one of my favorite metal screams of all time. It really shows of Halfords range and skill as a singer, and Tipton/Downing might be my favorite guitar duo period. The first time I heard this song I literally had goosebumps all over and tears in my eyes.

3. Rainbow - Stargazer:
If Dio never left Rainbow and they kept their musical direction of that time they would without a doubt be my favorite band. And Rainbow Rising is rightfully considered their magnum opus, and this
epic heavy metal track happens to be my favorite track from this album. Dio's vocals, Powells drumming, Blackmore's guitar, awesome incorporation of middle eastern musical elements and classical instruments... ah I could go on but suffice to say I consider this one of the greatest music pieces of the 20th century.

4. Deep Purple - Hard Lovin' Man:
Well Black Sabbath is often cited as the most influential metal band that in addition to that started the whole thing. However if I listen to 70s/80s non Doom Metal bands, I hear a lot more Deep Purple in there than Sabbath, be it in the Powerful vocals or the riff structure. And this song is my favorite of what's arguably the MkII lineup's best album. Utilizing Proto Speed-/Thrash-metal riffs
and Gillans powerful vocals with his signature screams that would influence so many vocalists like Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford, this is probably my favorite track of the early 70s. Also I love myself some hammond organ, and there's hardly anyone with a more unique organ sound than the late Jon Lord.

5. Uriah Heep - Bird of Prey:
Not much to say about this one except that I love Byron's versatile range, especially his falsettos as well as the slight prog elements in it mixed with the heavy riffs and once again an awesome hammond organ.

6. Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers
Dio on vocals and the criminally underrated Vivian Campbell on guitars. Starts out slow with Dio singing softly relatively high vocals, and then there is this awesome scream and the Man on the Silver mountain shows of his extremely powerful voice that could generate an atmosphere like almost no other.

7. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell:
Well you'll probably have guessed it by now, I kinda like Ronnie James Dio. His vocals combined with Tony "Riffmaster" Iommi's guitar playing just does it for me.

8. Mercyful Fate - Curse of Pharoas:
Well this song starts out with what's likely the most ripped off riff in metal and rock, just look Riot's Sword and Tequila, Iron Maiden's 2 Minutes to Midnight or Raven's Seek and Destroy. Anyway King Diamonds vocals that switch between falsetto screams, wailing and growling are not everybnody's cup of tea, anyway I like, combined with the NWBHM'esque melodic song structure and the eerie atmosphere it creates makes this another one of my favorite 80s tracks

9. Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky:
Lucifer's Friend's 1970 debut album is basically the answer to the question what it would sound like if Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep Recorded an album together. And the title track is basically Led Zep's Immigrant Song by them (some might say that Jimmy Page kinda copied a bit of of this song, but he would never do something like that. Right?...). With John Lawton's powerful Dio/Klaus Meine'esque vocals(that sound light-years better than what he did in Uriah Heep later) and awesome guitars as well as my beloved hammond organ make this another one of my favorite tracks.

10. Savatage - Gutter Ballet:
I feel like they are very underrated and this is my favorite song by them.

Honorable Mentions in no particular order:
Queensryche - The Lady Wore Black, Queen of the Reich
Queen - Stone Cold Crazy
Scorpions - Now!
Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law
King Diamond - Abigail
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys
Anthrax -I am the Law
Death - Story to Tell
UFO - Doctor Doctor
06.03.2017 - 22:30
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Antares8001 on 05.03.2017 at 19:02

I'm one of the few people who thinks that Priest 70s work is far better than there 80s stuff

Oh, you're not alone.

Welcome, by the way.
14.03.2017 - 21:48
StormK

A bit difficult but here it goes!

1. Dissection - Night's Blood
An incredible fast paced song with a beautiful acoustic part in it. Strong vocals, dark atmosphere, bitter lyrics, great outro.. This song is for me the pinnacle of (Melodic) Black Metal. Storm of the Light's Bane happens to be my favourite album as well.

2. Watain - Waters of Ain
Despite disliking Watain, there is no denying that this song is an unbelievable journey. The perfect 'new' black metal song for me. This song is ranked 2 because of its insanely beautiful outro. It never gets boring.

3. Emperor - With Strength I Burn
I love the blend between the harsh vocals and the clean vocals. The last three and a half minute of this song is just

4. Be'Lakor - Countless Skies
Melodic Death Metal is at this time (2009) somewhat predictable and boring to me, but this song is done right. 10 minutes of pure joy, highly recommended to everyone by the way.

5. Iron Maiden - For the Greater Good of God
Maybe not everyone's Iron Maiden pick. But in my opinion this song has the best lyrics I've ever seen. Also, Iron Maiden is my favourite band.

6. Iron Maiden - No More Lies
Even tho I am limited to 1 song per band, I want both songs in this top 10 because they are quite equal to me. Lovely intro and killer solo!

7. Hypocrisy - Roswell 47
Love this unadulterated bad ass song!

8. In Flanes - Colony
One of In Flames' most bad ass songs. Love it!

9. Dimmu Borgir - The Mourning Palace
Even tho Dimmu Borgir is often referred as not trvu black metal. I think this song is a great black metal song.

10. Ulver - Bergtatt - 5: Ind I Fjeldkramme
Lovely atmospheric song. The whole album is pretty cool but this song is my favourite.

Honourable mentions:
Be'Lakor - Fraught
Dissection - Thorns of Crimson Death
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
11.04.2017 - 21:19
Winter Heathen

Here's my list of top 10 personal favorite songs. Not in any particular order. I am a guitarist, so this is guitar-focused. Also, my descriptions are short because... I decided to be a lazy little bastard and not elaborate on anything.

1. Iron Maiden- The Trooper
"The Trooper" was the first song I ever heard that had a true, classic metal vibe to it. It's also probably the first song that led me down the path to discovering power metal and speed metal.

2. Stratovarius- Black Diamond
Okay, while Yngwie might be the most classically influenced metal guitarist, "Black Diamond" has the greatest mix of neoclassicism coming from both the guitar and the keyboard/harpsichord solo.

3. Van Halen- You Really Got Me
"You Really Got Me" was the first rock song I ever listened to. I don't think it sounds like a metal song, but I am including it here because when I was eight or nine I used to listen to country music... glad I straightened that out.

4. Guns N' Roses- Sweet Child O' Mine
"Sweet Child O' Mine" was the first song that made me pick up a guitar, and that is a lifelong pursuit that I haven't stopped since. Greatest guitar solo of all time, still can't play it (haven't even tried), but I will one day.

5. Velvet Revolver- Slither
Here's another song with a Slash solo that really sounds awesome. It's a blues solo in a heavy metal song, which is cool.

6. Skyharbor- Catharsis
While my last few favorite songs are at least partially popular/susceptible to have me being labelled a poser of metal music, I do like Skyharbor's song "Catharsis". It's got progressive elements with an ambient atmosphere that just sounds awesome. Also, my favorite guitarist Marty Friedman plays a guitar solo in the middle of it.

7. Megadeth- Hangar 18
This was the song that made me get into real metal. I discovered my favorite guitarist, Marty Friedman. I even discovered Megadeth with this one song, which led to Cacophony and me finding every other great guitarists I like today.

8. Helloween- Ride the Sky
"Ride The Sky" has one of the longest, most elaborate, and technical solos I've ever played. I know, John Petrucci and thousands of other guitarists can do way better, but Kai Hansen created something I can only call a guitar symphony in the solo section.

9. Cacophony- Concerto
"Concerto" has a, like, 30 second alternate picking part that goes on and on in the intro. It's too much, something I can't play, but nor do I care to, because if "Ride The Sky" has a guitar symphony solo, then "Concerto" is a guitar symphony throughout the entire song. The point of Cacophony, I believe, was to make a band of two guitarists who played their asses off, and indeed, Cacophony's Jason Becker and Marty Friedman played their asses (and their fingers) off.

10. Blind Guardian- Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)
Blind Guardian has a way of writing lyrics that don't seem like they'd flow, but they do. While "Nightfall" has a great chorus along with eerie, yet melodic guitars, "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)" has a stronger, more aggressive chorus that made me turn to the Light Side of metal- Power Metal.
----
Power metal incarnate.
13.04.2017 - 14:06
tominator
At best deranged
1. Iron Maiden - Infinite Dreams
My all time favourite song from my all time favourite album. There was something special about this song. I was pretty young when I heard this song for the first time and at that time I could perfectly identify with the lyrics of the song. Especially the part: "It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond". That's something that immediately connected with me. On top of that it has amazing melodies, awesome solos and a great groove. If there is an underrated IM song of the 80s, I think it's this one. The fact that this song is my absolute favourite from an album that is in my opinion perfect in every way, should tell you how much I love this song.

2. Deep Purple - Child In Time
Yes, I know it's not a very original choice but it is what it is a brilliant song. Ians performance on this song left me speechless the first time I heard this song. The screams are amazing and just the overall emotion that is put into the song is something that I can only admire.

3. Demons And Wizards - The Whistler
I love Iced Earth. I love Blind Guardian. Combine them and... well... yeah exactly I love it. The obvious choice would have been Fiddler On The Green which is a brilliant song. But my personal favourite is The Whistler. Hansi brings one of his best performances in this song (imo). The way he sings things like "Pay the price for ignorance" just sounds so evil, I just love it. It fits so well with the Pied Piper of Hamelin story. Amazing vocals, nice riffs and an overall great atmosphere. Excellent song on one of my personal favourite albums.

4. Bruce Dickinson - The Alchemist
Difficult choice between this one and The Book Of Thel. I think this one gets the edge just for the emotion put into the vocals. The Chemical Wedding is an album full of great songs but the closing track always had that special feeling. Great guitar work by Roy Z, a lot of emotion in the vocals. Just another fantastic song imo.

5. Iced Earth - A Question Of Heaven
This shouldn't come as a surprise if you read my description on The Whistler. If you want a 101 lesson on how to put emotion into a song, this would be a perfect example imo. Matt delivers his best performance he has ever done in Iced Earth imo. The small choir adds more drama to the song. The lyrics are simply on point. This is one of these songs that immediately paints a picture inside of your head. A simply fantastic song.

6. Blind Guardian - Bright Eyes
Yes, The Hobbit In The Forest is a good song, I love Mirror Mirror and Sacred Worlds is one of my favourites but this is simply the song that I love the most. Mostly because of the vocals. I think Hansi does a spectacular job here. The switching between the clean and more harsh vocals are done in a great way. On top of that you have some great guitar work and I love the drums on this song.

7. Dream Theater - As I am
I was thinking of putting Skeletons Of Society (Slayer) because of the amazing riff in that song but then I thought of this song. My favourite Dream Theater song and actually one of my favourite albums by them. I could have chosen Under a Glass Moon or Home but this is (just like with Night Crawler later down this list) the song I listen to the most of these 3. The solo on this song is amazing! There are no other words for it.

8. Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Again the vocal performance on this song is what makes this song so great. The whole song is just a perfect showing of musicianship. The atmosphere is brilliant. The lyrics are good. This is one of those songs that I just can't turn off in the middle, I just have to listen till the end.

9. Judas Priest - Night Crawler
This one, Electric Eye or Painkiller. A difficult choice but this is the one that has the most atmosphere (thanks to the mid section of the song) so I'll go for this one. Even though Electric Eye has some amazing riffs and Painkiller has one of the greatest vocal performances in metal history (at least imo). To be honest this is the Judas Priest song I've listened to the most through the years. So it must be doing something right! Love the vocals, love the guitars and like I said I love the atmosphere.

10. Megadeth - Architecture Of Agression
Love the riffs on this song. the lyrics are excellent as well. The base mid section is great. I always liked Countdown To extinction more than Peace Sells and Rust In Peace. And this song is one of the reasons for that.
25.07.2017 - 00:23
dmiller458

Alice In Chains - Would?
Black Sabbath - Tomorrow's Dream
Deep Purple - Child In Time
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Judas Priest - Victim Of Changes
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Motorhead - Overkill
Saxon - Machine Gun
Uriah Heep - Gypsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeJvfsyKj4Q
25.11.2017 - 02:57
TeachNThrash

In no particular order:

1) Kreator - People of the Lie (I love how chunky the riff is)
2) Hatchet - Dawn of the End
3) Goatwhore - Apocalyptic Havoc
4) Samael - Into the Pentagram
5) Entombed - Left Hand Path (last half is as good as it gets)
6) Behexen - Circle Me
7) Onslaught - 66fuckin'6
8) Destruction - Mad Butcher
9) Testament - Apocalyptic City (this might be No. 1)
10) Exodus - Toxic Waltz (embodiment of thrash)
12.12.2017 - 18:15
Galvenstaid

Man, picking just 10 is hard. This is off the top of my head so it may not be 100% accurate byt whatever.

1.) The 4 horsemen by Metallica
2.) Rattlehead by Megadeth
3.) Kamikaze by Conniption
4.) Soldier of 3 armies by Sabaton
5.) Motorbreath by Metallica
6.) Weidmanns Heil by Rammstein
7.) Children of the Grave by Black Sabbath
8.) Stillborn by Black Label Society
9.) Vengeance is My Name by Amon Amarth
10.) At the Jester's Ball by Falconer

These are also in no particular order.
23.12.2017 - 21:21
Vinther1991

Sticking by one song per band:
1) Child in Time - Deep Purple
2) Painkiller - Judas Priest
3) Spit Out the Bone - Metallica
4) The Sign of the Cross - Iron Maiden
5) Follow Me - Savatage
6) Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
7) Symptom of the Universe- Black Sabbath
8) Suite Sister Mary - Queensrÿche
9) A Light in the Black - Rainbow
10) Stare at the Sun - Blaze
24.12.2017 - 02:44
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Vinther1991 on 23.12.2017 at 21:21

2) Painkiller - Iron Maiden

I think you meant Judas Priest not Maiden for that song.
24.12.2017 - 14:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by tominator on 24.12.2017 at 02:44

It's probably a live cover they did somewhere
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.12.2017 - 18:34
Vinther1991

Written by tominator on 24.12.2017 at 02:44

Oops, sure, corrected
25.12.2017 - 12:20
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Karlabos on 24.12.2017 at 14:26

It's probably a live cover they did somewhere

Could have been. Don't know if they ever did that but it would be interesting to hear though.
26.09.2018 - 12:52
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Just 10? heheheh
Here's a list of some of my favs

1. Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
2. Metallica - One
3. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
4. My Dying Bride - She is the Dark
5. Mayhem - Freezing Moon
6. Katatonia - Evidence
7. Candlemass - Under the Oak
8. Slayer - Angel of Death
9. Watain - Malfeitor
10. Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Arcturus - The Chaos Path
Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites
Crimson Glory - Painted Skies
Neurosis - A Season in the Sky
Cradle of Filth - Queen of Winter, Throned
Opeth - The Moor
Symphony X - Accolade II
While Heaven Wept - From Furthest Shores
Lost Horizon - Cry of a Restless Soul
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Danzig - Mother
Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells
Manowar - Master of the Wind
WASP - Wild Child
Pain of Salvation - Sisters
Tiamat - The Sleeping Beauty
Burzum - Dunkelheit
Anathema - Sleepless
Emperor - Beyond the Great Vast Forest
Swallow the Sun - Cathedral Walls
Death - Crystal Mountain
Moonspell - Wolfshade (A Werewolf Masquerade)
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Royal Thunder - Time Machine
Kamelot - Center of the Universe
Aenima - Lilith
Therion - To Mega Therion
Primordial - Empire Falls
Cult of Luna - Leave Me Here
Tristania - Pale Enchantress
Dark Tranquillity - ThereIn
Iced Earth - Burning Times
Isis - Carry
Dream Theater - MIsunderstood