Metal Storm logo
Christ Illusion (Slayer)

15.08.2006 - 10:32
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Just posing the question and a discusion...
Do you think that the new slayer album 'Christ Illusion' is comparable to the era '86 - '90?

Here is my opinion...
This is the best album slayer has released in 16 years... Its a band that sounds so much more at home with dave lombardo on drums... Although its still not quite in the same league as Seasons in the Abyss... But its got the right sound. Its great to see slayer back on top of their game in terms of studio releases.
15.08.2006 - 10:37
sanity_assasin
Account deleted
I think that the music is comparable to older Slayer and far better then anything since Divine Intervention but the vocals are the biggest let down they just tend to annoy me these days maybe i need give a bit more of a chance which i probably will cause after all it's fucking Slayer
15.08.2006 - 10:57
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I must agree with @sanity_assasin about your comment on the vocals... And it is perhaps my biggest criticisum but it seem like its got more to do with the songwriting then Araya. Esspecially in the later tracks on the album. The vocal melodies seem very broken and it dosn't really flow like classic slayer. In saying that i loved every riff on the album. so it more than made up for the lacking vocal performance.
15.08.2006 - 23:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Of course it's not comparable to the '86-'90 era. If you listen Reign in Blood, and then put in Christ Illusion, you almost have 2 different genres of music. Christ Illusion is a good album, but I think it's their worst. It almost seems as if they are trying to over-compensate for their age.
15.08.2006 - 23:48
tulkas
el parcero
I somehow agree with pyroleprechaun. I don´t think it´s comparable with the early era of Slayer, I mean, it´s not at the level of South of Heaven or Season in the Abyss. Still, I think it´s a good album, and as \Frost/bitten said I think the problem is the songwriting rather than the vocals. Anyway, it´s still Slayer and it´s still a great album IMO
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
15.08.2006 - 23:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The lyrics are kinda annoying too. "Jesus is gore?" What does that mean? It doesn't make any sense. At least in the 80's and early 90's they had more intelligible lyrics.
16.08.2006 - 00:39
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
That's Slayer for you. They make lyrics that are catchy, humerous, and hateful all at the same time. Of course you can compare it to the '86-'90 era, but most people won't go for their newer music. As said in "Flesh Storm" it seems like people have a "psychotic devotion" to the earlier Slayer material and they won't take any other answer. Well, to hell with them. They can go sit in their room and listen to those same five albums all they want but I am going to enjoy the new Slayer. I like it just as much as anything else they have put out.
----
The force will be with you, always.
16.08.2006 - 08:28
Mordack
Account deleted
It's easily their best album since Divine Intervention (which I love). That being said, barely any songs on the album stand out other than Jihad and Cult.
16.08.2006 - 12:32
lordz
IzZo
Christ Illusion was a big disappointment when compared to most their albums IMO
As mentioned the lyrics and vocals sucks... the guitar work is ok but nothing out of the ordanary.... over all I would give it 6/10 and thats being generous
16.08.2006 - 15:50
Southern Wind
Account deleted
One of the albums of ther year, I actually liked it A LOT... a very good back to the roots if you ask me, it's almost flawless...
18.08.2006 - 21:06
Endoftherainbow
My opinion on this album is it was good for the time and it's a great album by other bands standards but for a Slayer album it's nothing that special it's still good though if you take it for what it is. It didn't sound as Dave Lombardoish as I had hopedit would though I wanted crazy drum fills left right and center but the album really didn't deliver that but aside from that I really have no problems with this album.
20.08.2006 - 09:59
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
musically its great...but lyrically it's lame ,just like the last two...i think only hanneman needs to write the songs...sadly slayer has become this cheesy satanic parody of themselves..much like the misfits
21.08.2006 - 20:25
Trifixion
Account deleted
I think it's a pretty cool album considering that we all knew it wasn't going to be anything fantastic. Sure you CAN compare it to '86-'90's era but there's really no competition if you do...we all knew this wasn't going to be the next RIB but like many of you, I think it's the best since Seasons. Sadly it's missing a real Slayer sound to it, I can't quite put my finger on it though. The classic Slayer riffing is MIA. And as said, the only songs that really stand out are Cult and Jihad (which I hated the first few times I listened to it.) Even though those are the only stand out songs I still think Flesh Storm, Catatonic, and Eyes Of The Insane are cool songs too. Overall I like the album, but it almost doesn't sound like Slayer in the end.
22.08.2006 - 10:08
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
It interesting, to hear peoples comments on this album because there is a varyable opinion with every person.

to be quite honest @Trifixion, i think of this album as the album which should have been released in 1992. I thought it sounded very much like slayer, apart from the unusually broken vocal melodies.
And agreed with people who commented on the lacking lyrics. @Jesus_Puncher, that sounds like a great idea... Or get everyone to contribute to the songs, not just King for all ber 3 songs. Even get Dave Lombardo into the writing next-time. that could be an interesting experiment.

Also agreed with the comments made about the album being a bit cheezy... But thats not really new for Slayer ever since Diablos

@C-Dub, well said man!!! Enjoy it for what it is... I will.
22.08.2006 - 19:12
Vintervarg
Account deleted
I didn't expected to be SO DAMN FUCKING GREAT!!!

I love the album. Anyway, "Jihad" is a bit weak song. "Cult" is the best. \m/
22.08.2006 - 22:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The music is a little tame and brought to us by Hot Topic for some reason and comes across as a tad commercial in retrospect but it's certainly not another God Hates Us All that and in the end that's what I cared about...you're all right...this is probably some of the best Slayer that's come out in awhile...
04.09.2006 - 15:43
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I think musically it's not far from "Seasons In The Abyss", though it's more direct, with the sound of "God Hates Us All". I really like "Christ Illusion", in my opinion Slayer's best since 1990.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
05.09.2006 - 14:28
Doh
I think it is their best album since Reign In Blood (don´t kill me now , hehee) .
15.09.2006 - 16:02
VMax
This year's best album , no doubt about that. All songs are good ,no fillers . And it's good that Lombardo is back , he is better than Bostaph (who is too very very good drummer).
15.09.2006 - 16:53
peavy
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.08.2006 at 15:50

One of the albums of ther year, I actually liked it A LOT... a very good back to the roots if you ask me, it's almost flawless...

Damn right!! Killer album!!!
16.09.2006 - 02:56
Devolution
Ohh man i didn't expect those reviews.
Man this album is their best since Divine Intervention.
I think thsi album is one of thier best.
it has everything which i need ,Rage and anger.
I'm so satisfied with the album.
Hey guyz just look at the bright side , at least it's more stronger more serious than Enemy of god.
Hail Slayer.................

@endoftherainbow
Man it's a great job what Dave did in the album , especially in supremest he did something he had never done before.
----
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
16.09.2006 - 20:36
DyNo!!
Account deleted
it's the best work, without doubt, of their last 10 years...
16.09.2006 - 20:51
Valar
IndianSteel
"Religion is hate
Religion is fear
Religion is war
Religion is rape
Religion's obscure
Religion's a whore"

Rotfl, Lyrics cannot be lamer than this but it sure does make you laugh a lot.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
17.09.2006 - 17:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Gonna buy this album soon ... it seems awesome!
----
18.09.2006 - 01:30
Robstar
I really like it , specially the track which carries the name of the album and skeleton christ!
Love their old shit !
Favorite track : Black Magic
----
Nothing is unreacheable
18.09.2006 - 21:04
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Really good album. Of course Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss are way better, but this record got me back the energy, and the drums are clearly what makes Slayer awesome. Go Lombardo! Lyrics are abit disappointment though..
27.11.2006 - 05:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I was really disapointed in this album, the lyrical content isn't phenominal, and the music just didnt do it for me, there are two exceptions, 'flesh storm' and 'catalyst' I really liked, other than that I thought it was pretty bad.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.12.2006 - 02:09
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
I am a slayer fan for a long time now and i liked all they had in the begining and a few of the newer albums but strangely i like this one... i don't know why but i like it and it seems they are back on track...or just it seems...anyways the album is fast tehnical and extreemly intense...personaly i like jihad the most and its freaking guitar riffs...amaizing album anyway...
05.12.2006 - 05:49
?Bodomchild?
Well after listened i actually like this album, its great but no the best of them but i watched them this year ho is wonderfull and them play the songs olds or of the new album like theyr best years, its great they still have the older sound in a way to say and of course this album can go geah to head with others thrash bands releases
----
asd
05.12.2006 - 16:24
_HIV_
i think is one of their best albums. my 3rd favorite of theirs!