03. Dead Meat
04. Death Row
05. Decapitate
06. Burn In Hell
07. Brain Dead
08. Abductors
09. Bullet Train
10. Cathedral Spires

Heavy Metal is is a way of life. If Iron Maiden gave it a mascot in Eddie or if Dio [R.I.P.] gave it a greeting in the sign of the Devil's Horns, then Judas Priest gave it the look of chains,denims, leathers and studs. But their reputation goes beyond their fashion statement as they are also well known for their music. The album which I am about to inspect is one of their lesser known albums and is called Jugulator .

Jugulator was released in 1998 and was the first not to feature Rob Halford. His place was taken by Tim 'Ripper' Owens, formerly a singer of British Steel, a Judas Priest tribute band, This rags to riches story would later be the inspiration for the movie "Rockstar". Jugulator was released at a crisis time for Heavy Metal. The Grunge movement had all but spelt doom for the Hair bands of the 80's and had badly wounded the old school Metal bands like Iron Maiden. Other big bands like Metallica had too drastically changed their sound to be even called Metal anymore. No one even gave Judas Priest a chance as without their charismatic frontman,Rob Halford, and in the middle of the Grunge movement they were as good as dead. But Judas Priest defied all the odds to release one of their heaviest albums ever recorded. Read my lips when I am saying that Jugulator is one of their heaviest albums ever and you have to listen it to believe it.

The album opens with the title track "Jugulator" which gives you the feeling that a factory metal presser is headed towards you and it will annihilate you. Tim "Ripper" Owens proves that he is a match to Rob Halford pitch for pitch and note for note and screams like a howling siren. Glenn Tipton and KK Downing are as timelessly brilliant as ever. Both of them exchange leads of brain frying dexterity in "Bullet Train". On hearing their guitar playing it is difficult to believe that both of them are in the half-century mark as far as age is concerned. Scott Travis is remarkable behind the drum-kit and is double-bass kicks at times almost sounds like a galloping horse! The production is first-class and even in the midst of those heavy guitars it is possible to hear the Ian Hill's neatly executed bass-lines. Songs like "Dead Meat" and "Death Row" will leave any headbangers wanting for more. The album ends with "Cathedral Spires" and it contains classic introductory riff which is reminiscent of the classic era of the 80's and is a perfect ending to a mercilessly heavy album.

Jugulator is my all-time favorite album and it is perhaps the most under-rated album by Judas Priest. This can be explained by the fact that people were so much used to the Halford-era Judas Priest that they did not even consider this new line-up worthwhile. Had Halford been on the album it maybe would have been a classic as Jugulator had all the typical ingredients of a Priest classic, only the original vocalist was missing. But people often forget that this album was released at a time when Heavy Metal was almost considered dead.

The very fact that Judas Priest made such a heavy record in such unfriendly circumstances is commendable in itself. This is an under-rated Judas Priest classic.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Hermann Langke | 05.06.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Jugulator is the first Judas Priest album without Rob Halford on vocal duties and was released seven years after the previous album, "Painkiller."

I am sure many people were questioning the future of the band when Rob left after "Painkiller" was released, I am sure many people would have been asking how they were going to top that album even if Rob stayed in the band - but the other four members marched on nevertheless. Tim "The Ripper" Owens was the man elected to fill the (rather large) boots of Rob after the band held auditions, which also included now Primal Fear's Ralf Scheepers. The band chose Tim Owens almost immediately after he sang the beginning of "Victim Of Changes." He had been put forward for the auditions by the recommendation of two of Scott Travis' friends who saw and recorded him sing live with the Judas Priest tribute band "British Steel" he was in at that time.

Read more ››
published 17.09.2006 | Comments (13)

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 149 users
05.06.2010 - 11:39
Rating: 10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Thanks to the staff for bearing with me.I am really indebted to you all and Thanks once again
05.06.2010 - 11:59
Rating: 9
vezzy
Stallmanite
Hell yeah! I also share the same opinion and think Jugulator is an unsung classic.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.06.2010 - 12:01
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 05.06.2010 at 11:59

Hell yeah! I also share the same opinion and think Jugulator is an unsung classic.

Yup!People rarely speak of it.
05.06.2010 - 12:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 05.06.2010 at 12:01

And interestingly, Jugulator was one of the first Judas Priest songs I heard, besides Beyond the Realms of Death.
----
05.06.2010 - 12:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm...I agree with much of this review! Except its not my fave Priest album, or even 2 or 3rd fave. However, I think it is very underrated, and for 2 reasons doesn't get the credit it deserves. The 1st is the most obvious, that Rob Halford was not there. The 2nd, is the album's sound. It is way more brutal than anything Priest had ever recorded before. And I don't think that most fans were expecting it. And a lot of fans, especially the older ones, didn't like the style shift. Although it was obvious to me (And Glenn Tipton has even admitted this) that the shift in sound was to try and reach out to a younger fan base, who were into bands like Machine Head, the band were able to ramp up the heaviness while still retaining their own sound, and still sounding like Judas Priest. Take the guitar heroics, and verses of ''Dead Meat'', or the taut, tense build up of ''Bullet Train'', (one of my all time fave Priest songs) complete with a scathing twin solo battle from K.K. and Glenn, and Ripper screaming over the final charge of guitars at the end of the song! Despite the way more brutal nature of the album, the Priest hallmarks were all still in place, which is why I rate the album so highly.

Glenn's lyrics on the album, were mostly very silly. And although Halford also wrote some silly lyrics, Glenn doesn't display the same talent for wordplay that Rob does. The lyrics for ''Decapitate'' are wonderfully camp and hilarious though, and though seemingly totally at odds with the slow, mega brutal riffs of the song, they work very well! They lyrics overall are fun, and certainly don't bring down the album at all. For me, the quality of the album is very high, and there isn't a single song that I dislike. Although I've often said that Ralf Scheepers was a better fit for the band vocally, really for this album (and its successor "Demolition"), Ripper was perfect. He is far more aggressive and brutal than Rob or Ralf vocally, and so was a perfect fit for the songs on this album. It is their most underrated album in my opinion, as the albums that I do prefer over this one, are highly rated by the fans. I remember the first time I heard this album, and being totally shocked by the brutality of it. lol (this effect is increased with the fact that the album's most brutal song, the title track, is the opening song) I liked death metal, and brutal music, but hearing such ferocious riffs from Priest completely threw me off guard! I love this album a lot, and its mix of brutality and pure old school heavy metal was definitely a great combination for me. I am very much a fan of the ''Jugulator''! \m/

Nice review Nibir!
05.06.2010 - 16:47
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 05.06.2010 at 12:03

Written by Hermann Langke on 05.06.2010 at 12:01

And interestingly, Jugulator was one of the first Judas Priest songs I heard, besides Beyond the Realms of Death.

Mine was "Love Bites"
05.06.2010 - 17:24
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.06.2010 at 12:06

Hmm...I agree with much of this review! Except its not my fave Priest album, or even 2 or 3rd fave. However, I think it is very underrated, and for 2 reasons doesn't get the credit it deserves. The 1st is the most obvious, that Rob Halford was not there. The 2nd, is the album's sound. It is way more brutal than anything Priest had ever recorded before. And I don't think that most fans were expecting it. And a lot of fans, especially the older ones, didn't like the style shift. Although it was obvious to me (And Glenn Tipton has even admitted this) that the shift in sound was to try and reach out to a younger fan base, who were into bands like Machine Head, the band were able to ramp up the heaviness while still retaining their own sound, and still sounding like Judas Priest. Take the guitar heroics, and verses of ''Dead Meat'', or the taut, tense build up of ''Bullet Train'', (one of my all time fave Priest songs) complete with a scathing twin solo battle from K.K. and Glenn, and Ripper screaming over the final charge of guitars at the end of the song! Despite the way more brutal nature of the album, the Priest hallmarks were all still in place, which is why I rate the album so highly.

Glenn's lyrics on the album, were mostly very silly. And although Halford also wrote some silly lyrics, Glenn doesn't display the same talent for wordplay that Rob does. The lyrics for ''Decapitate'' are wonderfully camp and hilarious though, and though seemingly totally at odds with the slow, mega brutal riffs of the song, they work very well! They lyrics overall are fun, and certainly don't bring down the album at all. For me, the quality of the album is very high, and there isn't a single song that I dislike. Although I've often said that Ralf Scheepers was a better fit for the band vocally, really for this album (and its successor "Demolition"), Ripper was perfect. He is far more aggressive and brutal than Rob or Ralf vocally, and so was a perfect fit for the songs on this album. It is their most underrated album in my opinion, as the albums that I do prefer over this one, are highly rated by the fans. I remember the first time I heard this album, and being totally shocked by the brutality of it. lol (this effect is increased with the fact that the album's most brutal song, the title track, is the opening song) I liked death metal, and brutal music, but hearing such ferocious riffs from Priest completely threw me off guard! I love this album a lot, and its mix of brutality and pure old school heavy metal was definitely a great combination for me. I am very much a fan of the ''Jugulator''! \m/

Nice review Nibir!

Danke Fraulein

This album means a lot to me.Not only was it bone-crushingly Heavy but I heard it at a time when I was going through a lot of problems in my own life and this album and the song Painkiller came like a beacon of hope in my life.Lyrically I don't give much thought.In my opinion songs like "Bullet Train" is simply ridiculous and once again Thanks
05.06.2010 - 19:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hermann Langke on 05.06.2010 at 17:24
Danke Fraulein

This album means a lot to me.Not only was it bone-crushingly Heavy but I heard it at a time when I was going through a lot of problems in my own life and this album and the song Painkiller came like a beacon of hope in my life.Lyrically I don't give much thought.In my opinion songs like "Bullet Train" is simply ridiculous and once again Thanks

hehe, no problem! What does Fraulein mean? I know Danke is thanks in German though...:P

I think the lyrics are fun, and do not detract from the music at all. Glenn may not have been as talented a lyric writer as Rob, but I think he did okay. Especially with the serious topics addressed on "Blood Stained". "Bullet Train" is just awesome, and I actually heard that song before the album, as it was on a free cover CD with Metal Hammer before the album was released. It is a great album, and very underrated, I love it a lot. And I also love Tim Owen's vocals. xD
05.06.2010 - 20:28
STEELER

I'M TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS REVIEW!!! AT THAT TIME,AII YOU CAN HEAR WAS NIRVANA AND SEE THOSE KIDS IN FLANNEL SHIRTS,UUGHH!! I LIKE DEMOLITION ALBUM A LOT TOO!!! \m/:thumbup:
07.06.2010 - 10:26
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Yeah!Metal was Nirvana and it sucked big time.This really sucked.This album was like a fist in the face
07.06.2010 - 10:45
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.06.2010 at 19:09

Written by Hermann Langke on 05.06.2010 at 17:24
Danke Fraulein

hehe, no problem! What does Fraulein mean? I know Danke is thanks in German though...:P

I think the lyrics are fun, and do not detract from the music at all. Glenn may not have been as talented a lyric writer as Rob, but I think he did okay. Especially with the serious topics addressed on "Blood Stained". "Bullet Train" is just awesome, and I actually heard that song before the album, as it was on a free cover CD with Metal Hammer before the album was released. It is a great album, and very underrated, I love it a lot. And I also love Tim Owen's vocals. xD

Fraulein means an unmarried beautiful lady in German .

All said and done.The 'Ripper' era Priest was my favourite.If I am not wrong "Blood Stained" was the O.S.T. for a movie and I don't remember it's name.Add to it,I really dislike the fact that Halford is Gay
08.06.2010 - 23:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Hermann Langke on 07.06.2010 at 10:45

All said and done.The 'Ripper' era Priest was my favourite.If I am not wrong "Blood Stained" was the O.S.T. for a movie and I don't remember it's name.Add to it,I really dislike the fact that Halford is Gay

Oh! Thats very sweet, thank you.

Hmm, I didnt know "Blood Stained" was in a movie. Maybe Im wrong though!

Why do you dislike that Halford is gay? I dont mind that he is gay at all, in fact, if it helps other gay people who listen to metal to feel comfortable about coming out, then I think it's a very good thing for metal.
08.06.2010 - 23:29
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I don't know about you, but the title "Jugulator" just makes me giggle.
10.06.2010 - 09:50
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Guest on 08.06.2010 at 23:29

I don't know about you, but the title "Jugulator" just makes me giggle.

It means to grab someone by the throat
10.06.2010 - 09:57
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.06.2010 at 23:13

Written by Hermann Langke on 07.06.2010 at 10:45

Oh! Thats very sweet, thank you.

Hmm, I didnt know "Blood Stained" was in a movie. Maybe Im wrong though!

Why do you dislike that Halford is gay? I dont mind that he is gay at all, in fact, if it helps other gay people who listen to metal to feel comfortable about coming out, then I think it's a very good thing for metal.

Because I am not gay.Anyways I don't consider Rob's sexuality when I listening to Priest so not much of an issue but it still crates on me
15.06.2010 - 23:50
Storchillarn

It's an underrated and very good album but I can't say I agree with the '9'. Most songs are kind of mediocre, although quite funny lyrically, whilst some are truly great (much thanks to Owens because Halford wouldn't have done this album justice). It's also quite frustrating that the only good things about Cathedral Spires are the incredible intro (again: Owens!) and the outro.

You don't like him being gay because you're not gay? Then you're basically an idiot.
17.06.2010 - 10:20
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Storchillarn on 15.06.2010 at 23:50

It's an underrated and very good album but I can't say I agree with the '9'. Most songs are kind of mediocre, although quite funny lyrically, whilst some are truly great (much thanks to Owens because Halford wouldn't have done this album justice). It's also quite frustrating that the only good things about Cathedral Spires are the incredible intro (again: Owens!) and the outro.

You don't like him being gay because you're not gay? Then you're basically an idiot.

Call me an Idiot or whatever.Your opinion and I don't really care.But as far as the album is concerned I do agree with you in the fact that it is quite under-rated.
30.08.2010 - 03:06
Epyon

Ohh!! the jugulator... i think one of the best metal albums of all time, but few realize that
i totally agree with the review.
i would like to kwon if there is any band that plays something like this
30.08.2010 - 08:59
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Epyon on 30.08.2010 at 03:06

Ohh!! the jugulator... i think one of the best metal albums of all time, but few realize that
i totally agree with the review.
i would like to kwon if there is any band that plays something like this

Oh there are quite a few!
31.08.2010 - 02:58
Epyon

Like???
31.08.2010 - 08:58
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Epyon on 31.08.2010 at 02:58

Like???

It depends on the type that you want to hear. As far as heaviness is concerned, I think Priest is the best!
01.09.2010 - 03:12
Epyon

Well i mean i really like priest, but the jugulator has something that i just can find for example in kreator or death(the lastest albums) tht bturallity that has technique , meaning, not just pure noise that some bands plays
01.09.2010 - 04:23
RavenKing

Written by Epyon on 01.09.2010 at 03:12

Well i mean i really like priest, but the jugulator has something that i just can find for example in kreator or death(the lastest albums) tht bturallity that has technique , meaning, not just pure noise that some bands plays

Just because bands are faster and heavier than Priest on Jugulator doesn't mean it's pure noise. And Kreator and Death are more technical than Priest as for guitars and drums.
Judging by your list of bands, you're probably one of those who can't see beyond raw sound, so you miss the technical aspect and dismiss the music as noise.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
01.09.2010 - 09:52
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by RavenKing on 01.09.2010 at 04:23

Written by Epyon on 01.09.2010 at 03:12

Just because bands are faster and heavier than Priest on Jugulator doesn't mean it's pure noise. And Kreator and Death are more technical than Priest as for guitars and drums.
Judging by your list of bands, you're probably one of those who can't see beyond raw sound, so you miss the technical aspect and dismiss the music as noise.

Frankly speaking, I really cannot judge which band, song or album is the heaviest ever. But Death's Painkiller was a monster!
01.09.2010 - 13:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Death's Painkiller is one of the most overrated covers ever, in my mind.
----
02.09.2010 - 03:54
Epyon

dont misunderstand me haha,i like "noise" i just said tht becouse in my opinion there are bands that have something that make them special. thats all
deaths painkiller, overrated or not i think that is the way to make a cover
02.09.2010 - 04:00
RavenKing

Written by Epyon on 02.09.2010 at 03:54

dont misunderstand me haha,i like "noise" i just said tht becouse in my opinion there are bands that have something that make them special. thats all

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know what you mean by bands "having something that makes them special". Lots of bands have something that I find special. However, it's very subjective and tastes-related, when it comes to decide which band has something special and which band doesn't have it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.09.2010 - 15:14
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 01.09.2010 at 13:47

Death's Painkiller is one of the most overrated covers ever, in my mind.

Nope is isn't. Death's version feels like as if someone is scratching on their bathroom walls with their long fingernails! It gets onto your skin!
02.09.2010 - 15:15
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 02.09.2010 at 15:14

Nope is isn't. Death's version feels like as if someone is scratching on their bathroom walls with their long fingernails! It gets onto your skin!

No, it does not.
----
02.09.2010 - 15:16
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 02.09.2010 at 15:15

Written by Hermann Langke on 02.09.2010 at 15:14

No, it does not.

For me, it does!

Hits total: 8551 | This month: 23