Reviewer:

7 users:
Band: Cosmic Atrophy
Album: Codex Incubo
Style: Progressive death metal
Release date: October 2008

01. Prelude To Phantasmagoria
02. Consumed From Within The X-Zone
03. Shattering Of Terrestrial Reality (Invasion Of Aberration)
04. Cydonic Adulations
05. Doomed By The Cancer Domus
06. The Granfalloon
07. Adrift In The Lifeless Sea Of Black

Cosmic Atrophy is probably most-known for being the band 'everybody recommends when you ask for Demilich-esque Death metal', or possibly for being that band with the Metal Archives moderator on board. You'd almost forget that Codex Incubo (their debut and so far only album, so even though I'm two years late to the party, I'm not that late), is pretty effing good! "Atrophy", by the way, is defined by my good friends Merriam & Webster as "2 : a wasting away or progressive decline". Pretty rad band name, in my book.

So now that the inevitable "D-word" has been mentioned already, let's continue the parade of kicking in open doors - Incantation's evil atmosphere is often cited as major influence too, particularly by the band members themselves. And last but not least, metal's favourite writer H.P. Lovecraft greatly influenced Cosmic Atrophy's horror/sci-fi lyrics and vibe.

Codex Incubo is filled to the brim with technical, slithering riffs. Quite a degree of a skill is shown, without ever losing the song out of sight. I'd say that's almost an achievement in itself. Throughout the album a deranged and dangerous vibe is established and easily maintained. Gruff vocals tell dark stories and there are plenty of fantastic, spaced-out solos to boot. It's all more compact and less warped than Demilich though, which greatly benefits the accessibility.

There are two minor points of criticism - the vocals could be a little deeper and monstrous in my opinion, and the production is a little too clean for its purpose. Codex Incubo would be better off sounding like a swamp. Although, being able to hear everything is also nice for a change. Maybe they'll find the right balance on a possible next release.

All things considered, Codex Incubo is a great release and a must-check for the old school Death metal fan. Get to it! (And eh, the release of Montis Ex Dementia is imminent, according to the band.)

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 07.06.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 129 users
08.06.2010 - 11:06
Ask
Ha, just posted this on my blog a few days ago. Awesome review and that's good news about the new album. I have to completely agree with your two gripes about the album, and I hope they've addressed those issues for their next release.
16.06.2010 - 15:07
Panterica
That album give me the creeps, it should be labeled as extreme horrifying death metal.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
18.10.2010 - 10:22
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This album is horrifying indeed... great work
12.05.2012 - 18:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nice. I don't remember how or when this got onto my hard drive but I'm listening to it and it's pleasing me greatly. I agree, the vocals need to be deeper and nastier but musically it's quite top notch and successfully puts across that weird, creepy, anti-riff vibe quite nicely indeed. Not up there with Demilich but still pretty up there.

Hits total: 5152 | This month: 9