Style: Progressive rock
Release date: 2006

01. The Guff
02. Ortus
03. As The Crow Flies
04. Drown The Sky
05. The Dawning
06. Remember The City

How many times do you have the opportunity to hear a really good "underground" metal act? The scene, whether you like it or not, is now jammed with (un)popular bands doing big tours and getting partially old and repetitive when it comes to the music they play. Every once in a while I receive an album that deserves to be highlighted by "the big ones" but instead it's fighting its way into the underground sector because the big labels are busy signing "metalcore" acts.

A((Wake)) is a young band with an incredibly powerful spirit; here's a band that actually impressed me more by their energy than by their music. This EP shows us that there are better bands in the underground than in the " Label name deleted for ironic and sarcastic reasons " roster. It's also a mind-shocker when you see the professionalism portrayed by this band; to be short about this (as many of you won't really care), I've been a reviewer for almost 3 years and this might be the first time I ever receive a whole promotional folder with a cover, a card, a complete bio, an information letter, a picture and an info-sheet (regularly we receive nothing but the info-sheet)

The Crescent is an EP wrapped in Instrumental Metal (Post-Metal in other words) in the vein of Generation Of Vipers and Pelican with Alternative undertones (think Tool as a slight example). All of the tracks are managed in a similar structure, an ascending balance, which reaches its powerful and violent climax somewhere in the middle to finally fade the music out. In the end, the whole product is an amazing experience; the music will slowly construct all kind of feelings and shapes in your brain depending on what disposition you listen to this EP.

The Crescent fits greatly in my mind, but then again, this is a very young band with huge ideas to achieve?the execution sounds quite rigid at times and the whole structure could sound way better with some arrangements(for example longer tracks with complex intermezzos). The only turn-off was the closing song ("Remember The City") which is a depressive conclusion for a great EP; in my opinion "The Dawning" could have been an overwhelming closure as its vibe is quite tremulous instead of downing. Yet A((Wake)) is a worthwhile band, their music will fit in most ears and soon I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about them.

Best Tracks: "As The Crow Flies", "The Dawning"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Herzebeth | 15.08.2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 8 users
16.08.2006 - 05:54
nb

It is interesting music, I heard the samples in myspace.
16.08.2006 - 19:06
Damnated
Churchburner
Sounds good, I'll check them out.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.08.2006 - 00:05
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
I'll check 'em. You are completely right man, Labels are busy signing crappy bands instead of underground promises.
19.08.2006 - 00:07
-=d00d=-
Account deleted
These guys are local for me and I just went and saw them the other night. I was blown away, they destroy

Hits total: 5161 | This month: 3