Metal Storm logo
Singing and playing simultaneously?!

Original post

Posted by Panterica, 09.06.2010 - 19:53
I'm playing guitar for a few years and my playing skills are good, but when I try to play the guitar and sing simultaneously it just won't work. I can play and sing songs with simple strumming but when I try to sing over more complex stuff like Rock or Metal riffs or Jazz harmonies I get confused and everything falls apart. I look at singers/gutarists like Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, James Hetfield from Metallica and Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom and I just can't understand how the hell they do it!

I'll be glad to get some tips and advices.
14.02.2012 - 06:17
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It will just click someday as long as you keep gaining musical experience. Don't you dare to give up.

I play guitar/bass and do death/black metal vocals. That was never a problem for me, of course at first its a little harder with complicate riffing. When trying to sing normally (with notes and stuff) it is complicated as hell, but I practiced and I'm getting better at it each day.
I just find challenging songs slightly above my level and try to beat the shit out of them.
16.02.2012 - 08:32
Grody2themax
It helps to be able to count the beat while you're playing sometimes. So, if a line comes in on 2 or 4 youll know what you're doing. Also it can be boring if everything comes in on 1 and 3 all the time.
13.04.2012 - 22:15
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Daniel from PoS demonstrating you can do anything simultaneously with enough practice
Watch out for 2:30...
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.05.2012 - 01:42
YureiYumi
Account deleted
I think this will take practice. I play the piano (and i know its not the same, but im still using all my fingers) really well and i couldnt sing along without f-----g up the tempo:(
So what i decided to do was doing it bit by bit. LOL first 10 secs until its perfect, another 10, and another 10.
its more time consuming but it worked for me.
20.05.2012 - 20:43
Grey Wind
A hint a friend told me regarding this issue: successfully playing(a complex riff) and singing together means you don't really think about these 2 things separately.
After a lot of training it just becomes intuitive, automatic, so the two things don't interfere with each other. Makes sense?
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
24.05.2012 - 17:29
I play the bass and sing in one of my bands. It's hard at first, especially if you try to play difficult stuff, but training makes everything easier.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
27.01.2013 - 08:01
squidrick420
This may sound strange, but i promise that it helps with metal eventually. LEARN BOB DYLAN SONGS!! He uses very complex lyrics that make you have to think hard to remember, and the guitar parts are just as difficult. Old Bob Dylan songs really help you coordinate yourself, and eventually you can apply these mental techniques to metal.
27.01.2013 - 20:29
Sangre Sani
Right now I'm able to play and sing simultaneously Seek&Destroy, Whiplash, Ace of Spades, Pity The Sadness, For Whom The Bell Tolls and Noce Szatana.
Training really does help!
20.03.2013 - 23:06
Did anyone also think of Geddy Lee? haha
21.03.2013 - 10:56
ANGEL REAPER
So far i managed to play guitar and sing simultaneously Celtic Frost -Into Crypt of Rays ,Circle Of the Tyrants ,Darkthrone -In The Shadow of the Horns,Whiskey Funeral,Mayhem-Deathcrush,Bathory-13 Candles and i am working on on a quite few....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
21.03.2013 - 10:58
Sunioj
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 21.03.2013 at 10:56

So far i managed to play guitar and sing simultaneously Celtic Frost -Into Crypt of Rays ,Circle Of the Tyrants ,Darkthrone -In The Shadow of the Horns,Whiskey Funeral,Mayhem-Deathcrush,Bathory-13 Candles and i am working on on a quite few....

nice dude. if you lived around me i'd definitely hit you up.
23.03.2013 - 12:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
On tuesday I managed to sing Worth Fighting For by Judas Priest at my rehearsals place. Obviously it went pretty well because it was just me and a drum/bass backing track Then some guy came in and told me I have to clear out because I wasn't coming in my band's usual schedule..
23.03.2013 - 16:04
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Valentin B on 23.03.2013 at 12:50

Then some guy came in and told me I have to clear out because I wasn't coming in my band's usual schedule..

that or you were terrible
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.03.2013 - 07:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 23.03.2013 at 16:04

Written by Valentin B on 23.03.2013 at 12:50

Then some guy came in and told me I have to clear out because I wasn't coming in my band's usual schedule..

that or you were terrible

He was supposed to be there to clean the place because two nationally famous acts (Iris and Trooper) were going to rehearse there later that day, it was actually quite awesome to know that we sometimes rehearse in the same place as Romania's most popular rock/metal bands.
25.07.2013 - 15:19
The Demonblade
Account deleted
Well, I play mostly grindcore these days( vocalist/bassist ) so it isn't that hard. When I used to play black metal it wasn't hard either. But when I was really into technical shit, daily practice helped a lot.