Metal Storm logo
Watchtower/Ron Jarzombek

17.05.2006 - 18:16
Horlequism
Account deleted
So, Watchtower was one of the pioneering technical progressive thrash metal bands from the 80s...I personally don't think that they started making a name for themselves until Ron Jarzombek came in on guitars and Alan Tecchio appeared on vocals on their second release, Control And Resistance, in 1989...this to me is their best album...

Ron Jarzombek is quite the prodigious musician...he can do so many things on the guitar that make other progressive guitarists drool at the mouth...his side projects are just something to worship musically...I mean, how the hell does he do that?

Apparently, Watchtower is no more...Mathematics isn't happening. Jarzombek pretty much said not to hold your breath...so yea, I know there were people who liked Watchtower and Jarzombek...
21.05.2006 - 00:00
Markku
Account deleted
I think Energetic Disassembly was pretty solid stuff with Billy White on guitar and Jason McMaster doing the vocals, but yeah Jarz' playing is insane and

That's a shame Mathematics isn't going anywhere.
22.05.2006 - 05:26
Horlequism
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 00:00

Sucks, doesn't it? Ron is pretty sure that it's not happening now...
22.05.2006 - 11:25
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 05:26

Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 00:00

Sucks, doesn't it? Ron is pretty sure that it's not happening now...

Yeah it does , I haven't heard him saying it's 100% sure it's not happening, so we can still hope....though the chances are very slim.

For those who haven't seen them check Ron's self made guitars, they're pretty cool
http://www.ronjarzombek.com/
22.05.2006 - 12:11
WarriorOfMetal

i haven't heard any Watchtower yet, but Spastic Ink is amazing!!!
22.05.2006 - 20:21
Horlequism
Account deleted
Ron Jarzombek's guitars are awesome, there's no doubt about that....the one with the numbers that he was going to use for Mathematics is especially cool...I remember there being one with a mouth or something with fangs and shit....

@WarriorOfMetal: Well, Watchtower are the pioneers of progressive thrash metal so you should really check them out...one of their best songs is The Fall of Reason...The Eldritch is another one that's right up there...
06.07.2006 - 00:24
Markku
Account deleted
What the hell is happening with Watchtower's website, it hasn't been working for months now? Ok, the band is inactive but the homepage contained so much precious information...
15.11.2006 - 17:46
Markku
Account deleted
This thread is dead. Luckily Watchtower seems not to be , check the news for more information

Here's a small appetizer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjozVZmVJ60 - here's Ron Recording for the new album.
15.11.2006 - 17:56
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I love watchtower and Jarzombek, spastic ink is great...but I prefer cynic and gordian knot just a little bit.
15.11.2006 - 21:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Markku: So that song is supposed to be a new Watchtower song off of Mathematics then? I do remember Jarzombek saying on the Spastic Ink website that Mathematics isn't going to happen and not to hold your breath but I guess it's finally under way now...
16.11.2006 - 00:50
Markku
Account deleted
There has been a bit of movement on the WatchTower front. Doug (Keyser- bassist) recorded a few songs and Jason scratch tracked vocals on a few. We’ll be final tracking just a few songs in December.

That's what he sayed on his website
16.11.2006 - 02:31
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Thanks for posting that for the people who were too lazy even to go to the website
16.11.2006 - 21:23
Hellish Star

Great band with amazing singers. I always was a fan of Alan Tecchio, especially with Hades and for sure with Power (his best work until now). Non-Fiction was less and the last Seven Witches was a disaster (a great voice, good music but both don't fit with each other)
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
19.11.2006 - 03:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Alan Tecchio's voice is way too high and pitchy for my likes but he has a solid contrast from wailing to mid-toned grunting and I can listen to his vocals because of this...

I did manage to see Seven Witches when they opened up for Kamelot the first time I saw them...I didn't enjoy them too much...all their music sounded like something I heard before...
19.11.2006 - 09:43
Hellish Star

You like Tecchio or you don't, that's a fact but he did fantastic work with Power and Hades..

About the music of Seven Witches; 99% of the present metal has been heard before...
----

20.11.2006 - 08:02
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 19.11.2006 at 09:43

99% of the present metal has been heard before...

Why do people make that statement...gawd it pisses me off so much
Such a general statement too that is overused and holds absolutely no meaning and weight anymore...
20.11.2006 - 14:41
Hellish Star

Written by Guest on 20.11.2006 at 08:02

Written by Hellish Star on 19.11.2006 at 09:43

99% of the present metal has been heard before...

Why do people make that statement...gawd it pisses me off so much
Such a general statement too that is overused and holds absolutely no meaning and weight anymore...

you said Seven Witches played stuff that you heard before. Seven Witches is not an "original" band but so what? For sure they play awesome metal. Ever heard albums such as "Passage to the other side"?

BTW: face the truth; how many original bands are there today?
----

20.11.2006 - 19:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Hellish Star: I wasn't disagreeing about the fact that there aren't that many original bands out there...I was just talking about that statement...I've seen it posted many times throughout my career of posting in metalstorm...I mean, you're so entirely right to say it though and I won't deny it to you lol...I guess it's my Professional Writing degree kicking in...we've been taught all these schematics and everything about people's attachments to phrases and discourse and all that shit...people get pissed off at me a lot when I apply that part of my brain...
20.11.2006 - 19:51
Hellish Star

@Kap'N Korrupt: you know; I don't care about originality no more nowadays as long as the metal is good, loud, dark and powerful...

Back to topic: Watchtower was for sure an original band. is there any news about them right now?
----

21.11.2006 - 07:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I don't actually think I care either...I don't mind hearing more of the same...I mean, as long as there is metal being pumped out then who cares right...?

They were indeed an original band and yes, there is news on them...as Markku said, they are actually going ahead with Project: Mathematics lol...I mean, not that I beleive it...it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off...BUT...there was a video on youtube of Ron recording new stuff for the new album, so if that isn't proove enough...
21.11.2006 - 13:44
pajo
Account deleted
Jarzombek is rythm GOD. Man I just cannot believe what insane rythms he can get out of his mind
Check out his videos on youtube.com

Especialy the one with the rat
you wont regret!!!

(lol what a verse)
11.05.2007 - 00:30
Markku
Account deleted
This thread has been quiet for some time now.
Why not discuss Blotted Science here, some of the clips in youtube sound really promising.

EDIT: just discovered this http://www.ronjarzombek.com/BlottedScienceOnline.html
02.07.2008 - 16:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow. this thread has not been active for more than a year. what a sacrilege! . But indeed, Watchtower seems to be a pretty good band judging by Control and Resistance. I guess it was just lost with many other bands of the kind. Anyway, I want just to write anything in this thread so that maybe people will pay attention to it. And by the way, the song Mayday in Kiev talks about Chernobyl and way Soviet government was trying to hide the truth from people, which out country's history and tragedy. So I owe them an "earthly" bow for that.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.07.2008 - 17:06
Charly546

Watchtower is a great band. "Energetic Dissassembly" and "Control and Resistance" are both really great albums. Everyone into progressive metal or thrash should (read: must) check 'em out.

Actually I think Watchtower is one of the first progressive metal bands too ("Energetic Dissassembly", their debut released in 1985).
04.07.2008 - 19:16
Candlemass
Defaeco
Ron Jarzombek, his last project blasts.
Amazing playing skills, and above all very unique.
04.07.2008 - 20:51
ylside

If you want to discuss Blotted Science as Markku said, feel free to head to this thread --> http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=9996