Metal Storm logo
Floyd Rose - Installation, D-Tuna - Any experience?

16.06.2010 - 21:15
divortium

Howdy folks,

I'm the lead guitarist and principle writer in a band that's largely doom/old school death metal (i.e. Bolt Thrower, Electric Wizard, Behemoth). I play a Schecter Devil and my guitar partner plays a B.C. Warlock. I really want a Floyd Rose to embellish my soloing, as there isn't a single trem unit in the band, and I really like that late eighties death solo sound. Obviously, I want a Floyd Rose Original, in black to match my Schecter's hardware, like this http://www.warmoth.com/Original-Floyd-Rosereg-Tremolo-Black-P545.aspx. However, I have a few concerns.

1. I'm poor. I'm not going to spend money on a new guitar. Even if it's a 20% price difference, it's worth it.
2. I LOVE my Schecter. I've played more guitars than you folks have fingers and toes, and I've never found a neck I liked more. The tone's great in any amplifier, and I got the thing for $500. I'm not going to go out and buy an RGX or even another Schecter unless I absolutely have to.
3. We play in C# Standard/Drop B. A D-Tuna would probably be a really good idea, but I don't think it works very well at lower tunings. Anybody ever get their hands on one?
4. I've read a lot of forumposts and suchlike, but I'm still not 100% as to how a Floyd Rose (i.e., just the presence of it when not in active use) is going to affect my tone, tuning stability, and so on.
5. I'd love to do it myself to save money, but I might have to get a luthier to do part/all of it, seeing as A. that's what almost everyone seems to recommend and B. Schecter Devil diagrams probably aren't as common as Strats or something.

tl;dr I know dick about trem bars - help!
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
17.06.2010 - 00:09
Got Mayhem?

Http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-2009-DIAMOND-SERIES-Devil-Custom-FR-Limited-Blood-Red-Burst-6-String-Electric-Guitar--P2833C450.aspx

Think about it. An Original FR is going to cost you a lot. Pro installation is going to also cost a lot. I wouldn't really even consider doing it yourself because routing out and installing a FR isn't easy and if you mess up all you've got to show for it is a hole in your guitar.

About the D-Tuna: It drops your guitar from E to D, not the C or B you're looking for. It's possible to set up a FR for those kinds of tunings, but it can take a bit of work. As for tuning stability, as long as you have a properly set up OFR that's double locked you'll stay in tune fine.

Basically, find out how much it'll cost to buy the OFR and have it installed and compare that against selling your current Devil and buying the Devil FR. The drop tunings will be annoying because you'll either have to a) set up the FR with thicker strings, possible having to change the tuning pegs because of a .13 or .14 or so string set. (I can't actually think of a time when I've personally seen a guitar with a do-it-yourself FR job tuned to B...) b) stick with .09's and enjoy a sloppy sludge fest of loose strings. c) realize this is a lot of work and either get a 7 string FR or stick with your current axe.

Feel free to ask more about this...dunno how much help you'll get here because the musicians corner isn't exactly the most active part of the site.
----
17.06.2010 - 05:41
divortium

Thanks a lot, Got Mayhem!

I'll look into getting a new axe with a neck I like just as much, I guess.

Sucks to part with my Devil, but you're right, in the end. And thanks for clearing that stuff up about the D-Tuna - I figured, but I had no proof and couldn't find anything.
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
17.06.2010 - 06:28
Got Mayhem?

No problem man. I actually have a Schecter myself (C-1 Classic) and as much as I would like it to have a trem of some kind, I wouldn't consider having one installed into it. Basically, every guitarist wishes that it were easier to do this or that when it comes to putting in a trem or setting up FR's to a certain tuning.

If I were you I'd either just stick with the guitar you've got until you can either sell it and buy the FR version or wait until you can afford a 7 string with a FR. Maybe consider some Agiles? Pricewise it isn't too different from the Devil FR but it's something to consider.

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptor727rntribalred.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2932.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorprobduncan727triredq.html

All your choice at the end of the day. I know it's a lot of choices that I'm throwing out here but a used Hellraiser FR or Blackjack ATX FR?
----
08.07.2010 - 15:39
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Damn, well said Mayhem, beat me to it!

divortium: Never hurts to have numerous guitars man, they each have their own flavour. Save up and just get another guitar with the FR, the Damien FR is actually a pretty decent guitar and affordable, it may be a bolt on neck but it sounds good. I've an older RG myself with a licensed Floyd and it's actually pretty solid all the way around, granted the pick ups are Dimarzios from a Jackson but the FR itself never goes out of tune, even on strings that are over a year old.