Metal Storm logo
Skyfire

16.08.2006 - 23:03
RavenLord

Finally, I've reached the 100 post limit enabling me to start my own threads! I've been waiting to start this thread for a while, as I feel that this band is one of the most underrated Swedish Melodic Death Metal bands. To describe their music simply, they fuse melodic guitars with semi-neo classical keyboards and synths, with black metal-style high pitched vocals and uplifting choruses/refrains.

The thing that sets them apart from bands such as CoB and In Flames for me, is their progressiveness. This is not evident in their song times, as most prog metal tries to make every song a 10 minute epic, but more in the song structure itself. All time changes are handles masterfully, and there are enough of them to draw parallels with Iron Maiden's music. Also, all members of the band are very skilled, with the drummer utilising neat fills, and the keyboards (done by both the bassist Martin Hanner and guitarist Andreas Edlund) are melodic, uplifting and utilise effective synth chords and the aforementioned neoclassical keyboards, which are particularly apparent on songs such as 'Mind Revolution'. But the thing that most endears me to them is their second guitarist, who, rather than using simple one-power-chord-per-bar backing, creates an accompanying rhythm of a different kind underneath the harmonies, giving Skyfire's music another level of depth and complexity.

Well, I've done enough talking, so here's a video of a song from their first (and most melodic) album, 'Timeless Departure'. I'm also interested in finding out how many people on MS are fans of this band, and what your thoughts on them are.
Skyfire-Skyfire [Live in Korea]
----
17.08.2006 - 02:26
tulkas
el parcero
Well, I've only heard one song, Colliding in Mind, and if the rest of the songs are similar in quality then it´s one hell of a band. I've been trying to find more from them but here it's really hard. Anyway, I'll keep trying and hope I find more. Great band
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
17.08.2006 - 06:17
+++mr.nihil+++
Account deleted
I used to own an album by them, forgot the title though... it was rather interesting, although TOO similar to AT The Gates' "Slaughter Of The Soul"... but certainly an interesting act.
17.08.2006 - 12:05
Veertje

Very nice band, i have Mind Revolution, wich kicks ass Haunted By Shadows is a really cool song
20.09.2006 - 17:30
RavenLord

Written by Guest on 17.08.2006 at 06:17

I used to own an album by them, forgot the title though... it was rather interesting, although TOO similar to AT The Gates' "Slaughter Of The Soul"... but certainly an interesting act.

I wouldn't say any of their albums is like SotS. The melodies and riffs are far more structured, and the vocals are infinitely better than Tomas Lindberg's. Plus, the lyrics are more coherent, and catchier

But anyway...I raised this point a while ago to one of the mods, but didn't get a reply; why are Skyfire classed as Death Metal? To my ears, they should be Melodic Death or Symphonic Death (Although the last one sounds a bit of an oxymoron, it probably reflects their first album better)...although they do have some prog/power influences (in the uplifting melodies and time changes), I would say Melodic Death describes their sound best.
----
21.09.2006 - 01:12
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
I've their 3 albums and I like them. They're not a very great band but they've very interesting songs... Of those I listened to, the album Spectral is the one I like most. They don't sound like At The Gates to me, they're more melodic and I prefer their "ambient". That's a good band for those who like a softer Death Metal, with many symphonic and melodic parts.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
27.09.2006 - 01:41
?Bodomchild?

Well i have Mind Revolution and is a great album they are great the abient in the songs its cool and the vocals make a great work but i have to get more into them , great band
----
asd
27.09.2006 - 03:01
Stigmatized
I have "Spectral" and "Timeless Departure". Both are pretty good albums, they have a nice sound to them. For some reason they aren't as catchy as I thought they would be.
18.03.2008 - 09:21
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
good band, from here to death is a great song

interesting to see them classified as simply "death metal" theyre definately melodeath in my eyes...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
31.01.2009 - 21:58
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I've listened to Mind Revolution and i find it a decent album. Surely it is not bad but i don't know, there's something i don't like about them. something on their style. maybe i don't like so much the vocals, i don't know. but the music they create is good!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
02.02.2009 - 17:07
noxchimutaz
Account deleted
Weren't they supposed to release an album???
what happend?? delayed????
03.02.2009 - 03:33
Fhuesc

Written by Guest on 02.02.2009 at 17:07

Weren't they supposed to release an album???
what happend?? delayed????

Not that i know, they haven't said a date.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
16.03.2009 - 21:44
FeskarN

They have posted following at their myspace:

"Swedish progressive death metallers SKYFIRE have
wrapped up the recordings for the follow up to 2004's 'Spectral,' entitled
'Esoteric.' The album's music was self-produced at Powernest Studios in Gothenburg,
Sweden, while vocals were produced by THE FORSAKEN guitarist Patrik Persson.
'Esoteric' is set to be mixed by Jonas Kjellgren (SCAR SYMMETRY, SONIC
SYNDICATE, ZONARIA, THE ABSENCE) at Abyss Studios. The album will be released this
fall via Pivotal Rockordings.....

Additionally, SKYFIRE and Pivotal Rockordings have
teamed up to release a digital-only EP this summer featuring tracks that
written after "Spectral" and were never released and will not appear on
"Esoteric." More details will be announced shortly....."

Sounds cool with unreleased songs! Looking forward to hear the EP and the album, im most curious about the new vocalist.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
02.09.2009 - 08:07
Fhuesc

Their new EP is great. The first one is kinda monotonous but the rest rock, specially The Transgressor Within. This hypes to me the upcoming album. What i cant decide is which vocals are better, the old or the new, maybe both are ok.
----
Until victory, always!
04.09.2009 - 20:43
FeskarN

Written by Fhuesc on 02.09.2009 at 08:07

Their new EP is great. The first one is kinda monotonous but the rest rock, specially The Transgressor Within. This hypes to me the upcoming album. What i can decide is which vocals are better, the old or the new, maybe both are ok.

indeed the EP is good. The vocals are good but I miss the high screams that the prevoius vocalist did.
----
04.09.2009 - 21:46
Fhuesc

Written by FeskarN on 04.09.2009 at 20:43

Written by Fhuesc on 02.09.2009 at 08:07

Their new EP is great. The first one is kinda monotonous but the rest rock, specially The Transgressor Within. This hypes to me the upcoming album. What i can decide is which vocals are better, the old or the new, maybe both are ok.

indeed the EP is good. The vocals are good but I miss the high screams that the prevoius vocalist did.

Yes i miss em too, but the new vocalist has better diction.
----
Until victory, always!
11.09.2009 - 08:53
RyanH

Dimensions Unseen!
11.09.2009 - 19:36
Fhuesc

Written by RyanH on 11.09.2009 at 08:53

Dimensions Unseen!

Dimensions Unseen what?
----
Until victory, always!
11.09.2009 - 23:38
RyanH

Am I the only one?
Am I the chosen one?
Gaze into the crimson sky
And feel the presence of the great wisdom
I must learn how to master this force
So that I may wander in the long forgotten realm
12.09.2009 - 04:17
Uller

Lol maybe if we are posting things in a bands tread its beacuse we like it, and if we want to know the songs lyrics we just go to the band's profile.

I cant wait for their new album this monday 14, and maybe but just maybe and its almost impossible, a latin american tour.
----
12.09.2009 - 14:20
FeskarN

Written by Uller on 12.09.2009 at 04:17

I cant wait for their new album this monday 14, and maybe but just maybe and its almost impossible, a latin american tour.

ye, it most likely impossible and note that they have not tour even much in Sweden at all. I dont think they have played outside Sweden at all tbh.
----
11.10.2009 - 20:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
"Esoteric" is great, but what's wrong with the bonus track? It's God awful >:
----
loves 小巫
12.10.2009 - 05:19
Fhuesc

Written by Ag Fox on 11.10.2009 at 20:37

"Esoteric" is great, but what's wrong with the bonus track? It's God awful >:

That's cuz it's originally a demo song, and yeah it's awful, specially the clean vocals.
----
Until victory, always!
12.10.2009 - 15:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Ahhes... no wonder... it did spoil the overall impression of the album though... anyway bonuses apart, definitely one of the strongest release in the genre this year along with Persefone's "Shin-Ken"
----
loves 小巫
13.10.2009 - 23:53
Fhuesc

Written by Ag Fox on 12.10.2009 at 15:31

Ahhes... no wonder... it did spoil the overall impression of the album though... anyway bonuses apart, definitely one of the strongest release in the genre this year along with Persefone's "Shin-Ken"

The same thing happened to me, i was really enjoying it, and suddenly that song came out and the mood was broken. I think this is better than Shin-Ken.
----
Until victory, always!
14.10.2009 - 17:49
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I need more spins to make my mind up
----
loves 小巫
20.10.2009 - 20:46
Uller

To me Esoteric is the best album that i have heard this year.
----
29.10.2009 - 15:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Fhuesc on 13.10.2009 at 23:53

The same thing happened to me, i was really enjoying it, and suddenly that song came out and the mood was broken. I think this is better than Shin-Ken.

I think I like Shin-Ken a bit more (=
probably just because of the overall theme of Shin-Ken is a bit more cohesive
----
loves 小巫
30.10.2009 - 01:34
Fhuesc

Written by Ag Fox on 29.10.2009 at 15:37

Written by Fhuesc on 13.10.2009 at 23:53

...overall theme of Shin-Ken is a bit more cohesive

Agree, but the first 3 songs are kinda just ok to me, and i cant find a dull moment in Esoteric.
----
Until victory, always!