+ Final Resistance [Live in Milan]
+ Shadow In Our Blood Video
+ Dream Oblivion [Live With Full Force 2010]
+ The Fatalist [Live London 2010]
+ The Grandest Accusation [Video Backdrop]
+ Iridium [Live Summerbreeze 2010]
+ Iridium Video
+ Zero Distance Video

It's always a sad sight to witness an institution tumble down hill, none more so than Dark Tranquillity, a band I once considered virtually infallible. Their prior album, Fiction, despite having some moments of greatness, certainly showed signs of greying around the gills, especially after their impeccably polished and resolute performance on Character; a performance which many would agree rivalled The Gallery in its impact: a true affirmation of their ever (if slowly) evolving skill, which is why from We Are The Void emanates the unmistakable whiff of disappointment.

There is no one overriding issue with We Are The Void and despite what my overtly negative insight might imply, this isn't a bad album, it's simply a dumbing down of everything we've known them to be. The lacklustre verses embody lazy, half-hearted riffage, lacking any sense of drive and adventure. Gone is the supremely confident blasting pace of "The New Build" or the soaring melodic harmonies of "The Treason Wall", each track just chugs, in disjointed and staccato fashion, its way to the inevitable conclusion out of a sense of duty, rather than one of passion. Even Stanne's distinctly blackened vocals seem flatter than ever and the keyboards encumber more than they encourage. It's just un-Character-istically (see what I did there) "blarg." Of course, this is still unmistakably Dark Tranquillity; many of the choruses break down into familiar synth-driven moments of euphoria, offering a retrospective glimpse of what the band used to be and there is a sense of professional consistency throughout (something which Fiction cannot testify to), not to mention the return of clean singing which is never something to scoff at. If anything, this is a passable romp for long time fans and a pretty decent springboard for newer ones.

One can't help but wonder if it's all just an issue of personal growth: we all out-grow old tastes and routines, perhaps it is our perception of Dark Tranquillity that has changed, maybe the old crone has told her stories one too many times for them to impress any more and the classic releases serve merely as dots of nostalgia from our younger days. Then again, maybe they just need to get their sodding act together. Either way I'm still not ready to give up on these guys just yet. The third time better be a flipping charm.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by !J.O.O.E.! | 20.06.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
Dark Tranquillity have just won the MS Awards in the category they have been nominated in and I think there are some people that still are in need of reasons for that. Let me give you a few hints. At first everyone should admit that the band have changed their style a lot since the infamous The Gallery. Once the music was fast, melodic and with insane melodies, but this era is definitely over. We Are The Void marks the next step into the direction of a more dark and heavy sound. Many dislike this and they have good reasons to do so, since one can miss the old days really hard. But metal changes, and so do the bands.

Read more ››
published 17.03.2011 | Comments (28)

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 312 users
20.06.2010 - 18:24
Rating: 7
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Couldn't have said it better. Great review!
20.06.2010 - 18:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Carl Berg on 20.06.2010 at 18:24

Couldn't have said it better. Great review!

Thanks very much indeed! =3
20.06.2010 - 18:53
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I couldn't point out just what annoyed me about this album, and you helped me find out. Beautiful vocabulary, by the way, a pleasure to read!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.06.2010 - 18:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MétalNoir on 20.06.2010 at 18:53

I couldn't point out just what annoyed me about this album, and you helped me find out. Beautiful vocabulary, by the way, a pleasure to read!

You're very kind =]

It is quite a vague issue really, I wasn't sure myself until I sat down and thought about it.
20.06.2010 - 20:22
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 20.06.2010 at 18:56

You're very kind =]
ack
It is quite a vague issue really, I wasn't sure myself until I sat down and thought about it.

The thing is, ever since I bought the album, I haven't listened to it as much as I had expected, because every time I want to, it seems to play without me noticing it, if you know what I mean... It just goes by and then I realize it's over, and I can even tell which tracks are the best... or worst. The only thing I can say about this album is that it sounds more black metally and symphonic than Fiction, and that the first track has a cool oriental opening. It certainly lacks something more Character-istic
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.06.2010 - 20:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MétalNoir on 20.06.2010 at 20:22

You're very kind =]
ack

The thing is, ever since I bought the album, I haven't listened to it as much as I had expected, because every time I want to, it seems to play without me noticing it, if you know what I mean... It just goes by and then I realize it's over, and I can even tell which tracks are the best... or worst. The only thing I can say about this album is that it sounds more black metally and symphonic than Fiction, and that the first track has a cool oriental opening. It certainly lacks something more Character-istic

I know exactly what you mean, it's a problem I often have (definitely with this album). Sometimes I have to force myself to pay attention but doing that for 40+ minutes isn't easy, and not a very natural way to listen to something. Some albums are just destined to be background music I guess.
21.06.2010 - 04:43
Rating: 9
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Whatever dawg.....
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
21.06.2010 - 17:18
Rating: 8
Winterthrone

Written by Guest on 20.06.2010 at 20:28

Written by MétalNoir on 20.06.2010 at 20:22

You're very kind =]
ack

I know exactly what you mean, it's a problem I often have (definitely with this album). Sometimes I have to force myself to pay attention but doing that for 40+ minutes isn't easy, and not a very natural way to listen to something. Some albums are just destined to be background music I guess.

Very good review, but I would have been a little more generous with the rating. To me this album deserves a 7-7,5 for it is unequal: a few songs are very good to excellent: Shadow In Our Blood, Archangelsk, I Am The Void and Iridium. The other songs seem average or forgettable. In the beginning I really enjoyed that album but now, except for the tracks I mentionned, it can't get me as interested as the other DT albums.
21.06.2010 - 17:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Winterthrone on 21.06.2010 at 17:18

Very good review, but I would have been a little more generous with the rating. To me this album deserves a 7-7,5 for it is unequal: a few songs are very good to excellent: Shadow In Our Blood, Archangelsk, I Am The Void and Iridium. The other songs seem average or forgettable. In the beginning I really enjoyed that album but now, except for the tracks I mentionned, it can't get me as interested as the other DT albums.

It very nearly did get a 7 actually but for me 7 has always been representative of "good" and this release is pretty much as close you can get to good without actually being so. Basically it's a "decent" album. If it were by another band it might have scored a little higher.
21.06.2010 - 21:03
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Excellent album, can't see what the criticisms are all about. The Fatalist and In My Absence are my favourites.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
21.06.2010 - 21:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Passenger on 21.06.2010 at 21:03

Excellent album, can't see what the criticisms are all about. The Fatalist and In My Absence are my favourites.

I'm glad you found something to enjoy about it ;]
22.06.2010 - 16:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I totally agree with your review. You worded my thoughts on it perfectly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2010 - 01:32
Darkside Momo
Retired
Well, I mostly agree with your review (very well written, you should do that more often ) but I see it in a not-so-bleak light than you... There are some really good songs on it, but yes it doesn't impress as a whole. Just like The Mind's I and Haven if you ask me.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
23.06.2010 - 11:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 23.06.2010 at 01:32

Well, I mostly agree with your review (very well written, you should do that more often ) but I see it in a not-so-bleak light than you... There are some really good songs on it, but yes it doesn't impress as a whole. Just like The Mind's I and Haven if you ask me.

Thanks very much ;] yeah, it's possible I'll return to it in the future, perhaps I'll find a few tracks that stand out. Completely agree with Haven and The Mind's as the other two mediocre DT albums, which bodes well really as they made good albums after them.
23.06.2010 - 12:21
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Guest on 23.06.2010 at 11:53

Completely agree with Haven and The Mind's as the other two mediocre DT albums, which bodes well really as they made good albums after them.

Indeed, I still have faith they'll do some great stuff again...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.07.2010 - 17:31
JÄY
Metal slave
Being a listening whos relatively new to DT............I think its great! liked it better than fiction, at least
12.07.2010 - 23:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 12.07.2010 at 17:31

Being a listening whos relatively new to DT............I think its great! liked it better than fiction, at least

Well I would say you're in for a treat when you check out Character and The Gallery
12.07.2010 - 23:51
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 12.07.2010 at 23:46

Well I would say you're in for a treat when you check out Character and The Gallery

haha yeah ive listened to character a few times and like it....but after i posted that comment i went and listened to the gallery... and wowie sounds BOSS!!
12.07.2010 - 23:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 12.07.2010 at 23:51

Written by Guest on 12.07.2010 at 23:46

haha yeah ive listened to character a few times and like it....but after i posted that comment i went and listened to the gallery... and wowie sounds BOSS!!

Yeah The Gallery has quite a different sound to most of the other albums, more technical and less like the Gothenburg style. Probably the one most would agree is their crowning achievement. Character (though possibly Damage Done) tends to be the favoured amongst the modern albums. Either way Dark Tranquillity has never really made a bad album so you can't go wrong with them =D
19.09.2010 - 19:00
Rating: 10
lord artan

I was not happy with this album Because I expected more from this group
Their previous album was very good But anything less than their value does not
23.10.2010 - 14:14
Windrider
Raureif
This was my first DT album and I still call it fantastic, I know it is not as unique as The Gallery or Damage Done, it's different but I love it too, I think every songs quite great, even if it's not as crushing as before, it has now other elements that are likeable.
And these songs just rule live, specially Iridium and At The Point Of Ignition!
06.12.2010 - 20:53
Cyroth

A minor step down because of the "more of the same" sound, though I enjoyed it more then originally though when I've gone by quick through the songs as I got the album.
Songs like Dream oblivion, In my absence, Her silent language are killer.
I also think they tried to bring something new to the sound with the song Shadow in our blood, but personally I don't really see it that good.
----
11.02.2012 - 11:00
Sentient 7

I unfortunately entirely, reluctantly agree with your review. DT took an introspective approach to this record, I believe they did this intentionally to put the listener in a more reflective mood. The keyboards are pushed to the front of the mix, the guitars are tonally thinner and not as defined as usual. Also the guitars are mostly percussive with the keyboards carrying the melody. Sometimes this results in an incredible atmosphere (The Grandest Accusation, Iridium, The Fatalist). However, in the faster numbers it simply distances the listener from what should be a sense of immediacy and urgency (I am the void, at the point of ignition). The one stop approach to the mix has unduly hurt this album - but so has the reliance on the keyboards for most of the melody.

I don't know what anyone else's opinions are, but I think two of the best tunes (the bow and the arrow, zero distance) were left off the original release. If they had been included originally it may have given the album a little more balance.

Hits total: 5673 | This month: 15