Metal Storm logo
What do you think about punk?

17.08.2006 - 12:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hi.i want to say this is not a discussion about punkers,but more about the music.i personally think that if you need a break from metal,punk is a good choice.it doesn't have the agression,but since that is what metal is about,it won't be a problem.also i enjoy the optimistic vocals,and the sheer fun-sounding atmosphere of 80-90s punk.i don't enjoy that much the old-school punk.
other than that i think punk loses its originality and novelty value fast,if those values haven't already been lost.also i tend to get bored of punk,although i haven't listened to that much amount of this music type.
so,this is what i like and dislike about punk.what do YOU think?
17.08.2006 - 12:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Punk optimistic? maybe nowadays it is about partying and such but original punk was about No Future, Thatcher, being unemployed, Nuclear Threat etc. nothing optimistic about that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2006 - 12:45
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't like it and I don't dislike it. I must confess that there are some punk songs I like, especially swedish punk.
----
17.08.2006 - 15:41
Vintervarg
Account deleted
I don't like it, but like Warman said, there are some interesting songs from certain bands.
17.08.2006 - 17:14
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
A lot of punk is much more aggressive than metal (and hey, grindcore is a subgenre of punk, NOT metal...) and a lot of punk bands also end up being quite adventurous and original due to their DIU ethics and non conformist attitude towards the music business... This is why I love punk, or rather the musical movements it has spawned - post-punk, new wave, goth etc.
19.08.2006 - 02:48
danzig111
Account deleted
@Jesus_Puncher:

dude stop deleting your posts, i read one ov them.....

and that crap you said about 'acid washed jeans' :

also i don't think punk is 'gay', i just don't like it.

oh and i know Thrash came form Punk that's why i emntioned it.

i meant punk was boring in structure, you may listen to however much punk you want to
19.08.2006 - 03:20
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.08.2006 at 02:48

@Jesus_Puncher:

dude stop deleting your posts, i read one ov them.....

and that crap you said about 'acid washed jeans' :

also i don't think punk is 'gay', i just don't like it.

oh and i know Thrash came form Punk that's why i emntioned it.

i meant punk was boring in structure, you may listen to however much punk you want to, but i still find it boring. so lay the fvck off.

i deleted those Posts because i felt like not being a bastard for A change...besides moderators would've deleted it anyways..they dont take too kindly to acid washed stretch jean bashing
19.08.2006 - 15:56
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
well i do like some punk bands and songs, but there r some punk band i really can stand in fact i dislike their music band liek Exploited i never could listed those bands
but i like punk rock band like Bad Religion early days os Offspring early days of Green Day and simular band
i think punk is verry good music in some ways
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
20.08.2006 - 00:04
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Punk doesn't have the aggression? That's WHERE metal gets the aggression. The early thrash bands took NWOBHM song structure + punk aggression to get their sound.

I listen to a pretty good amount of punk I guess. None of the stuff the big punk fans consider "the essentials" if you will (can't stand the Sex Pistols) but there's a lot of good stuff out there. UK Subs are a great band from back in the day. A lot of German stuff is good, although I'm not real familiar with it. I count Angel City Outcasts among my favorite bands.
20.08.2006 - 01:58
LethargyMan

I don't like much punk... Or rather, I don't like much punk punk. I do enjoy a fair amount of hardcore and grindcore (probably more the former, though).

I certainly don't have any vice 70's and 80's punk, though, and always give the genre its due for being the precursor to some of my absolute favourite bands.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
09.09.2006 - 15:50
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I actually like punk alot, I wouldn't say any punk band is in my top ten artists or anything, but I still listen to a fair amount of punk, hell, my best friend is a punk, even though he listens to a lot of Metal. Punk is energetic with a side serving of political agression, and sure, most of it's not "Complex", but that's not what punks about anyway. It's about swaying away from conformity and fighting the powers that control your life, but still having a good(But simple) sound.

That's what I think about punk.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
10.09.2006 - 01:12
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.09.2006 at 15:50

I actually like punk alot, I wouldn't say any punk band is in my top ten artists or anything, but I still listen to a fair amount of punk, hell, my best friend is a punk, even though he listens to a lot of Metal. Punk is energetic with a side serving of political agression, and sure, most of it's not "Complex", but that's not what punks about anyway. It's about swaying away from conformity and fighting the powers that control your life, but still having a good(But simple) sound.

Fugazi isn't complex?....
10.09.2006 - 05:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 10.09.2006 at 01:12

Written by Arian Totalis on 09.09.2006 at 15:50

Fugazi isn't complex?....

yes, there are some complex Punk bands,
Such as AFI, The Offspring, Pennywise, etc....
but the bottom line here is that while punk CAN
be complex, it's not about the complexity, as
before mentioned, It's about swaying away from conformity and fighting the powers that control your life, but still having a good sound.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.09.2006 - 06:43
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
alright my bad...you know what Punk is....i'm just sick of all the Knuckleheads into Metal talking down to Punk
13.09.2006 - 00:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 01:22

i think it's an extremely boring genre to be quite honest. i don't know what you mean about optimistic, True Punk is like Thrash Metal except minus the talent......

anyways, i don't like the genre cuz many ov the bands have little talent (many ov them confess this themselves), furthermore it lacks feeling and emotion........i don't know i find it boring.

Late response to this gem.

The talent arguement with you has become very tiresome. You trot it out when talking down about punk (which I like) and nu-metal (to which I am ambivalent) - but then list Darkthrone amongst your favorites.

And punk's lack of technique is based on the desire to push MAXIMUM aggression and emotion without dilution. That's the point. It's supposed to be raw, primal, and visceral ... very much like the aforementioned Darkthrone (who admit a punk influence). If you think punk lacks emotion compared to uberprocessed, uberproduced, and uberstreamlined mastubatory stuff like Dragonforce (also amongst your faves), I honestly don't think you have ever actually listened to a proper punk band.

It sounds to me like the crap you've listened to is devoid of the same anger, fear, bile, venom, sarcasm, hostility, humor, and empowerment I find in my punk collection.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.09.2006 - 01:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Besides, a lot of punk bands are actually overflowing with talent (Husker Du, Bad Religion, Minutemen, Bad Brains) but they deliberately choose to play simple music because they think its more effective.

This whole 'talent' argument that so many metalheads have is immensely ridiculous.
13.09.2006 - 08:20
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 13.09.2006 at 00:56

Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 01:22

i think it's an extremely boring genre to be quite honest. i don't know what you mean about optimistic, True Punk is like Thrash Metal except minus the talent......

anyways, i don't like the genre cuz many ov the bands have little talent (many ov them confess this themselves), furthermore it lacks feeling and emotion........i don't know i find it boring.

Late response to this gem.

The talent arguement with you has become very tiresome. You trot it out when talking down about punk (which I like) and nu-metal (to which I am ambivalent) - but then list Darkthrone amongst your favorites.

And punk's lack of technique is based on the desire to push MAXIMUM aggression and emotion without dilution. That's the point. It's supposed to be raw, primal, and visceral ... very much like the aforementioned Darkthrone (who admit a punk influence). If you think punk lacks emotion compared to uberprocessed, uberproduced, and uberstreamlined mastubatory stuff like Dragonforce (also amongst your faves), I honestly don't think you have ever actually listened to a proper punk band.

It sounds to me like the crap you've listened to is devoid of the same anger, fear, bile, venom, sarcasm, hostility, humor, and empowerment I find in my punk collection.

i think most oldschool black metal was pretty Punk in a sense
13.09.2006 - 19:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
The D.I.Y. attitude of it certainly was.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.09.2006 - 00:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.09.2006 at 08:20

i think most oldschool black metal was pretty Punk in a sense

Really good point right there...the fast 4/4 beat, the power chord sense of the riffs, the unbridled attitude and mean persona in the vocals, the counter culture feel...yes, both genres in the early-mid 80s were very symetrical in that sense...black metal matured though and punk did but it didn't branch out as much as black metal did...
14.09.2006 - 08:55
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 14.09.2006 at 00:30

Really good point right there...the fast 4/4 beat, the power chord sense of the riffs, the unbridled attitude and mean persona in the vocals, the counter culture feel...yes, both genres in the early-mid 80s were very symetrical in that sense...black metal matured though and punk did but it didn't branch out as much as black metal did...

I completely disagree with this, just listen to bands like Killing Joke or New Model Army, or hell, any post-punk band.
14.09.2006 - 15:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
You could say that I've grown up with punk since my dad played in a punk band when he was young, Helikoptern Kräks (The Helicopter Vomit) was their name and they were pretty cool. Still, punk has never touched me
----
14.09.2006 - 19:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@jupitreas: Disagree if you want but please just quote what you disagreed with instead of every single damn thing because I made points before that one statement that I felt were really good...

Yes, I know of the two bands you mentioned...very good bands...
14.09.2006 - 20:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
the point was that punk had branched out and infected many a musical genre... either directly (Bathory's "You don't move me" is a punk song) or through offshoot genres like Post-Punk, which included Joy Division - who later went on to become early 80's wave as New Order...

punk itself has remained fairly straightforward, but it's bastard children are numerous and diverse.
----

15.09.2006 - 03:39
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
"black metal matured though and punk did but it didn't branch out as
much as black metal did..."

i know a band or Two that would shatter this Statement...Check Out Refused - "Shape of Punk to Come" and see for yourself
15.09.2006 - 04:03
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 14.09.2006 at 19:01

quote what you disagreed with

I disagreed with the bit that black metal matured more than punk
16.09.2006 - 04:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Quote:
i know a band or Two that would shatter this Statement...Check Out Refused - "Shape of Punk to Come" and see for yourself

Yeah dude, I know the Refused, I fucking love them.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.09.2006 - 00:52
hottercraft

Punk is not bad... but sometimes it sucks because the lyrics are absolutely stupid, I prefer the slow punk (American Punk or similar) than the fast sucking Punk (a lot of Spanish punk)
23.09.2006 - 04:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by hottercraft on 20.09.2006 at 00:52

Punk is not bad... but sometimes it sucks because the lyrics are absolutely stupid, I prefer the slow punk (American Punk or similar) than the fast sucking Punk (a lot of Spanish punk)

Sorry, but punk lyrics, are pretty far from stupid........
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.09.2006 - 09:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
girls don't like boys,girls like cars and money....
isn't this the epitome of brainwashing stupidity?;D
23.09.2006 - 15:50
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
But your forgetting bands like the dead Kenedys, who go into
Complex social and political Ideologys. In any Genre of music there are idiots,
but many punk bands (The Dead Kenedys, The Clash, Bad Religion, Old AFI, Etc...)
have extremely inteligent lyrics.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko