Metal Storm logo
What do you think about punk?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.08.2006 - 12:33
hi.i want to say this is not a discussion about punkers,but more about the music.i personally think that if you need a break from metal,punk is a good choice.it doesn't have the agression,but since that is what metal is about,it won't be a problem.also i enjoy the optimistic vocals,and the sheer fun-sounding atmosphere of 80-90s punk.i don't enjoy that much the old-school punk.
other than that i think punk loses its originality and novelty value fast,if those values haven't already been lost.also i tend to get bored of punk,although i haven't listened to that much amount of this music type.
so,this is what i like and dislike about punk.what do YOU think?
11.08.2008 - 16:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 11.08.2008 at 16:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2008 at 16:20

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah UK Subs.

Although I only have Diminished Responsibility by them I really love that album, great Punk.
And they never split up and are still going strong.
Guitarist/vocalist must be over 60 by now easily.

UK Subs are old band?
I look myspace thay had album this year
Is it from 60ties 70ties?

You know Stomper 89? are thay old too?

They started in the 70s, yes.

No I don't know Stomper 89. To be honest I am not that much of an old school punk fan.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2008 - 16:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I m not punk fun too, but I like bands like Bootsroke, Stomper 89, now UK Subs, maybe Expoited , and soem Oi bands what I hear in myspace(but only in myspace)

Generaly punk isnt that what Im listening so offen, maybe 3% of all, but I like it better how power metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.08.2008 - 08:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
punk is good if its fast and has a message and isnt pop punk. anything else slow, meaningless and pop is inferior.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
12.08.2008 - 17:01
Judas
The Amputator
Written by LeChron James on 12.08.2008 at 08:49

punk is good if its fast and has a message and isnt pop punk. anything else slow, meaningless and pop is inferior.

I must say, I don't mind some Pop Punk once in a while. Nothing ridiculous like Good Charlotte, but stuff like Anti-Flag, Rise Against and Rancid can be fun sometimes.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
12.08.2008 - 17:13
Abattoir
Staff
I listen punk mostly for relaxing and because of fun...and that kind of band is definitely NOFX Crazy fuckers
12.08.2008 - 21:28
thesabbathfan
I think Hardcore Punk is okay (as in tolerable), but all other punk disgusts me >XP
----
13.08.2008 - 00:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by thesabbathfan on 12.08.2008 at 21:28

I think Hardcore Punk is okay (as in tolerable), but all other punk disgusts me >XP

what punk have you heard?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.08.2008 - 07:27
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Judas on 12.08.2008 at 17:01

Written by LeChron James on 12.08.2008 at 08:49

I must say, I don't mind some Pop Punk once in a while. Nothing ridiculous like Good Charlotte, but stuff like Anti-Flag, Rise Against and Rancid can be fun sometimes.

anti flag and rancid arent my idea of pop punk. pop punk is the stuff you call obnoxious like good charlotte and gree(d)n day. anti flag and racid actually have shit to say, not a means to get their stuff carried at hot topic. and if those two bands are featured at hot topic, its because of their message and their voicing of their opinions, political and otherwise, not because theyre whats in season.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
13.08.2008 - 13:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

maybe gives uis soem band samples that we know about what you talk?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.08.2008 - 15:26
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Bad English on 13.08.2008 at 13:12

maybe gives uis soem band samples that we know about what you talk?

If he means stuff like Sick Of It All, then I'm in total agreement (that it's awesome, not that other stuff sucks of course). That band RULES.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.09.2008 - 05:55
Number Juan
I think it's an ok genre. I like some stuff like the Ramones and the Clash, some Dead Kennedys among others. Stuff like the Sex Pistols is garbage though. Kinda like any other genre when you think about it. There is lots of crap and lots of good if you know where to look.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
21.09.2008 - 02:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Bought a few Misfits albums yesterday (Danzig stuff only), reminds me of why I used to listen to a lot of punk. I can't really get into new punk though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.11.2008 - 13:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 29.06.2007 at 23:21

Anyone else notice how alot of punk bands are becoming clothing labels instead of actual bands? I thought band Tshirts were meant to be kind of a little billboard on your body to show off your favorite band(s). But lately Ive been seeing lots of people (some of the most un-rock n roll looking people) wearing band tshirts like The Misfits, The Ramones and The Dead Kennedys. I try not to assume someones musical knowledge (or lack there of) based on image, so I try to start conversations with these people and my assumptions always prove right. For example, at a party I saw a girl wearing a pink tshirt with the misfits skull in silver, so being fairly drunk I ran up to her and started singing 'Halloween' by the Misfits, after she didnt know what the hell I was singing about I tried to talk to her about the Misfits and she replied with "Oh, I just like the logo". Or another time I was on the bus and saw a guy wearing a Ramones tshirt, I talked to him about the Ramones for about 3 minutes before he responded with "hey ho, lets go is my favorite song", after a few more minutes of conversation I realised he didnt know that the song is actually called Blitzkrieg Bop, and that he didnt know a single other song....

Ok Im done ranting, but I cant be the only person whos noticed this?

hahaah, this post is really old but there's a similar thing happening here lately: i found a picture with one of the biggest crap-music producer in the country(Costi Ionita, if anyone from around is reading this) wearing a shirt with Jimi Hendrix's face on it, and a slightly-more-than-just-gay guy from college (who listens to similar music) has a very similar one too also this guy has a winter jacket with "for those about to..." and then comes this weird drawing. of course, it's taken from that AC DC song. and also another guy i saw had this coat labeled "Eddie Tigger", in the same characters as Grave Digger's logo, and more than once i saw people wearing some cheap chinese-made t-shirt with "AC&TC" on the front and on the back "Highway To Freedom"... it's fucking amazing, i never would have thought this many people are into metal these days!
20.11.2008 - 21:07
Metalbound7
I love Punk, specially bands like Turbonegro and Offsprings. Some songs of Ramones and Misfits are great too. WTF happened with punk? they where the sound of rebellion to marketing and society. but now days they are just that! Marketing and the ignorant average society. bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte make my sick my stomach with brutal Diarrea.

anyway it's nice to have bands like Turbonegro doing their part for good Punk

i like punk that much that i want to form my own Punk band tough i don't play that well to be in a Metal band
21.11.2008 - 00:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Metalbound7 on 20.11.2008 at 21:07

I love Punk, specially bands like Turbonegro and Offsprings. Some songs of Ramones and Misfits are great too. WTF happened with punk? they where the sound of rebellion to marketing and society. but now days they are just that! Marketing and the ignorant average society. bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte make my sick my stomach with brutal Diarrea.

i like punk that much that i want to form my own Punk band tough i don't play that well to be in a Metal band

Honestly, Offspring and Green Day are what happened. "Longview" and "Come out and Play" both started to get significant airplay due to pop hooks.

both sold tons of records thanks to airplay/video time on eMpTy-Vee and opened the eyes to record companies of the commodity value of watered down punk.

following their success, and then the success of Blink-182 (Dude ranch era), further steered them in this direction.

basically take a sloppy pop-rock band with a playful but snotty attitude and have them shop at Hot Topic to market them as edgy.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.11.2008 - 17:48
Metalbound7
Written by BitterCOld on 21.11.2008 at 00:55

Written by Metalbound7 on 20.11.2008 at 21:07

Honestly, Offspring and Green Day are what happened. "Longview" and "Come out and Play" both started to get significant airplay due to pop hooks.

Yeah, my fav Offspring albums are their debut and Ixnay Of The Hombre, then they become very comertial and i never liked that much Green Day.
21.11.2008 - 18:00
Berfones
I don't like punk...
I think punk is like soft glam metal (having fun...) and I don't like glam metal much either...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
21.11.2008 - 19:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Berfones on 21.11.2008 at 18:00

I don't like punk...
I think punk is like soft glam metal (having fun...) and I don't like glam metal much either...

yes.

the exploited, black flag, GBH, old suicidal tendencies, circle jerks, minor threat, et all all sound like "soft glam metal."

i even caught this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXK0Hjfkrgw on the elevator the other day it's sooooo soft.

----

21.11.2008 - 20:48
Berfones
Written by BitterCOld on 21.11.2008 at 19:20

I don't like punk...

yes.

the exploited, black flag, GBH, old suicidal tendencies, circle jerks, minor threat, et all all sound like "soft glam metal."

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but I think you disagree. Punk, like Rock n' roll, is much softer than metal, this is my opinion anyway...
It is much less agrasive than metal, it usually (at least what I've heard) does not create the same atmosphere as most metal genres do...

i even caught this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXK0Hjfkrgw on the elevator the other day it's sooooo soft.

----
21.11.2008 - 21:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Berfones on 21.11.2008 at 20:48

I don't like punk...

yes.

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but I think you disagree. Punk, like Rock n' roll, is much softer than metal, this is my opinion anyway...
It is much less agrasive than metal, it usually (at least what I've heard) does not create the same atmosphere as most metal genres do...

Yes, I do disagree. Vehemently.

Punk softer than metal? That depends completely upon which bands you are comparing.

Sure, the Descendents are not as hard as, say Emperor, but then again, bands like GBH, Exploited, Black Flag are certainly harder than a good chunk of the bands found in our Melodic forum.

Furthermore, the speed and energy of punk rock was a huge influence on the evolution of metal.

Grindcore was an evolution of punk. Is that heavy enough for you?

Finally, to quote none other than Quorthon:

Around the time I formed BATHORY, I was listening a lot to an album by early GBH I believe was called "City baby in attack of the rats". We based half of BATHORY's initial sound and style on that GBH album. I may have listened to some Discharge, but I don't remember any of their songs or any of their titles anymore. The "Ace of Spades" and "Iron Fist" Motörhead albums also meant very much when we formed BATHORY. So did the first handful of Black Sabbath albums.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/interviews/quorthon/

Seeing as Bathory was pretty much the most abominable music put to tape when they recorded their S/T release, and they based "half their sound" on punk bands like GBH and Discharge, seems to me that those acts certainly were not softer than glam.

"You don't move me" found on Jubileum I is a punk song.

Maybe you should expose yourself to some real punk before bothering to post on this thread again, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about now.

softer than glam. lol. that's freaking sigworthy.
----

21.11.2008 - 22:01
Berfones
Written by BitterCOld on 21.11.2008 at 21:25

Written by Berfones on 21.11.2008 at 20:48

I don't like punk...

yes.

Yes, I do disagree. Vehemently.

Punk softer than metal? That depends completely upon which bands you are comparing.

Sure, the Descendents are not as hard as, say Emperor, but then again, bands like GBH, Exploited, Black Flag are certainly harder than a good chunk of the bands found in our Melodic forum.

Furthermore, the speed and energy of punk rock was a huge influence on the evolution of metal.

Grindcore was an evolution of punk. Is that heavy enough for you?

Finally, to quote none other than Quorthon:

Around the time I formed BATHORY, I was listening a lot to an album by early GBH I believe was called "City baby in attack of the rats". We based half of BATHORY's initial sound and style on that GBH album. I may have listened to some Discharge, but I don't remember any of their songs or any of their titles anymore. The "Ace of Spades" and "Iron Fist" Motörhead albums also meant very much when we formed BATHORY. So did the first handful of Black Sabbath albums.

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/interviews/quorthon/

Seeing as Bathory was pretty much the most abominable music put to tape when they recorded their S/T release, and they based "half their sound" on punk bands like GBH and Discharge, seems to me that those acts certainly were not softer than glam.

"You don't move me" found on Jubileum I is a punk song.

Maybe you should expose yourself to some real punk before bothering to post on this thread again, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about now.

softer than glam. lol. that's freaking sigworthy.

well, you see, I did mean black-death metal bands and not more melodic ones...
----
21.11.2008 - 23:24
Sunioj
I find some punk bands (relative to subgenre) to be heavier than some extreme metal bands. Anyone who compares 'most punk bands' to glam metal, clearly has not heard enough bands in this area of music to draw a worthwhile comparison.

On the contrary, many metal bands lack the abrasiveness and edge that a good punk band would have.
21.11.2008 - 23:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Berfones on 21.11.2008 at 22:01

well, you see, you might have meant black-death metal bands (or claim now in hindsight that you did), but the fault is yours for not making that clear in the beginning. you simply said "Punk, like Rock n' roll, is much softer than metal." Not black metal. Not death metal. Simply "metal" - and given how genre and subgenre conscious everyone is on this site, that's a pretty significant omission on your part.

Finally, you are still wrong and looking foolish for claiming it's "like soft glam metal."

But rather than admit being wrong and admitting you aren't particularly versed in punk rock at all and were talking out of your ass on this thread, keep tap dancing. it's making my friday fairly entertaining.
----

22.11.2008 - 00:04
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I'm not a huge fan of punk but I recently checked out this band Glittertind from Norway and I think the punk elements they use are great. It's kind of like "Viking Punk", so if you like Punk and Viking metal you should check it out.
22.11.2008 - 00:22
Berfones
Written by BitterCOld on 21.11.2008 at 23:29

Written by Berfones on 21.11.2008 at 22:01

well, you see, you might have meant black-death metal bands (or claim now in hindsight that you did), but the fault is yours for not making that clear in the beginning. you simply said "Punk, like Rock n' roll, is much softer than metal." Not black metal. Not death metal. Simply "metal" - and given how genre and subgenre conscious everyone is on this site, that's a pretty significant omission on your part.

Finally, you are still wrong and looking foolish for claiming it's "like soft glam metal."

But rather than admit being wrong and admitting you aren't particularly versed in punk rock at all and were talking out of your ass on this thread, keep tap dancing. it's making my friday fairly entertaining.

I admit I was wrong
tap dancing?
----
20.12.2008 - 00:17
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Ive come to the re-realization that The Anti Nowhere League is killer. the song "animal" is HELLA funny.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

22.12.2008 - 23:59
Sick Girl
I love Leftover Crack, The Distillers, The Unseen, Circle Jerks, and of course The Misfits. That's about all I listen to when it comes to punk.
24.12.2008 - 01:00
mortjoyeux
Hm
Most of the posts about punk are pretty stereotypical..
what about crust punk, skate punk, anarcho-punk, even DBEAT?? Bands like Amebix, Iskra, Dishcharge and Crass?
Bands that incorporate metal into punk to make it sound fucking awesome?
24.12.2008 - 17:27
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
http://www.myspace.com/bombstorm

this is pretty cool Deathpunk
----
Coldgrits
25.12.2008 - 15:51
Bite Me
Account deleted
I don't know too much about it. I've heard some punk from my country and the thing for me is, I liked the lyrics very much but not the way they sang, it annoyed me, but that was ages ago, when I was young and listened to garbage anyway, I might give punk another try.