01. In Mist She Was Standing
02. Under The Weeping Moon
03. Silhouette
04. Forest Of October
05. The Twilight Is My Robe
06. Requiem
07. The Apostle In Triumph
08. Into The Frost Of Winter [re-release bonus]

Opeth's debut album Orchid released in 1995 is a keeper. It isn't mentioned much by Opeth fans but it is certainly a lost treasure. New fans will stray from the album as more reviewers simply write the album off as being 'brutal' and 'sloppy' or 'solid death metal' as what I have read. The thing is that Orchid is just as diverse as Blackwater Park or their latest release, Ghost Reveries. Presented in Orchid is what will become of Opeth on a grand scale: brutal, melodic, acoustic, alternative, emotional and heartfelt by placing melodic death metal alongside acoustic and clean electric guitar rock.

An equal range of guttural and clean vocals is still in full form on Orchid. They are more raspy and poorly produced, many of the lyrics unlistenable at times. They come across as loud roars and screams. Many reviews I've read have said that there are only death metal vocals on the album; apparently, they didn't listen to the album at all or at least didn't listen the whole way through. However, guttural death metal vocals do show up more then the clean and there is an imbalance on Orchid; that would mean that sizing the vocal diversity on this album up with a later release would be unjust. Orchid oddly contains more acoustic guitar trinkets then some later albums, played by themselves with no instrumental accompaniment.

Although Orchid is nothing like the band's further evolution into stunning masterpieces like My Arms, Your Hearse, Blackwater Park or the brilliantly dark acoustic Damnation, Orchid still needs to be mentioned in any topic of Opeth because their musical diversity can be traced back to this album. If Opeth put out a debut album which was just death metal, then Orchid could be written off as an album where they didn't know what they were doing and hadn't stretched out their musical wings. The thing is that Mikael Åkerfeldt and his gang knew exactly what they were doing right from the beginning and it really shows on their debut album Orchid.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 10
Production: 7

Written by Account deleted | 17.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 31   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 331 users
17.08.2006 - 21:30
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Opeth's best pre-Still Life album in my opinion.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
17.08.2006 - 22:11
Damnated
Churchburner
I pretty much agree with Kap. I don't know why ppl label it as 'just another melo death album'. It's not. It has clear progressive elements, not as much as on the later albums, but it's not plain, simple, boring melo death
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.08.2006 - 23:18
Rating: 6
lordz
IzZo
This album is a classic although I hate long songs that strech over 10 minutes ... I will give these guys an exception
18.08.2006 - 01:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
thanks for the comments guys...word needs to get out that this album is just as strong as their other stuff
19.08.2006 - 01:24
Rating: 10
ylside
staff
That's in my opinion the best album Opeth recorded up to now!
12.10.2006 - 16:22
bangladesh
The best Opeth album....it´s one step fordward morningrise, my 2nd. This album don´t have any average song, all the songs are fantastic. In the other albuns, (Except Morningrise and My harms) there are at least one or two songs that are not so good. This 3 firsts albuns are the best ones from Opeth and the 1st, Orchid, is the best album ever made from any band....8...have you eard the album???? or you only give a listen???? i believe in the 2nd because this whole album make that emotive feeling that only one or two songs from all the other albuns can make. that´s the reason for being the best.
28.12.2006 - 08:45
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
this album is so deep and so atmospheric i really enjoy it its one of my favorites , take a few listens to get into but its one of their best works
----
Stay Metal !!!
30.12.2006 - 21:08
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@InMist: Hey....chill....8/10 is good...that means that I like 80% of what they did...why the fuck would you think I didn't listen to the album...maybe instead of you telling me to listen to the album again, you should read my fucking review, not only the damn number...gawd...
30.12.2006 - 22:37
Southern Wind
Account deleted
This is the only Opeth album I regulary listen to, since it's very haunting and I love its blackened atmosphere...
31.12.2006 - 16:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
It was the begining of magic. I agree that this album has not one bad song. We can see their agression since here. I think it has amasing lyrics as well. Its diverse and original like seems to be Opeth's trademark. This melodies just stay in your head, they are strong. Oh, and I love the bass in here. My love for this album grew over time. "My amrs, your hearse" was always my favourite album but "orchid" threatens to surpass it with time, i suppose.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.12.2006 - 20:21
Rating: 7
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Not Opeth's best work, but it is better than some of their other albums. In the Mist She Was Standing is one of my top 5 Opeth songs. I love the riffs, but it would be better if there were more vocals. Silhouette has some beautiful piano work as well. One of my friends is trying to play it, but she is having a little bit of difficulty . I still like Morningrise better, but this is an essential Opeth realease.

@InMist everyone has their own personal thought about an album, and everyone's opinion should be respected. I find there are some flaws in Orchid, but if you think that it is Opeth's best album, i'll respect that. I won't go and get mad about your opinion. If everyone that listened to metal had the same opinion about every album, it would be boring.

[yay, 200th post]
20.03.2007 - 17:53
lazarus
Agree, they knew exactly what they wanted since the beginning and they did it
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
20.03.2007 - 21:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This has slowly become my favorite Opeth album. I like the piano song (track 3?) and I especially enjoy the clean vocals. Mikael doesn't sing often on this album, but when he does, it sounds pretty amazing.
08.03.2008 - 09:13
Evil Chip
Mikael Akerfeldt sounds amazing in this album.... well he always sounds good. Requiem is my favourite of this album.
24.03.2008 - 04:44
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
i like their rythms.. but.. i've never seen whats so big about Opeth... why so much worship for this good/regular band (thats my opinion). Sure they have explendid guitar work, but only that is not enough. 10 minutes each song is such a exaggeration, i can easily get some sleep while listen to this album.
Besides all that, the album gets a 7 by me, for its legacy. Its not on my favorites list, but the band sure deserves a recognition for their success in the metal scene.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.12.2008 - 02:07
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I think this is by far one of their best and musically divine albums... in essence perfect, 10/10 from me.
I agree with this review, how you say they knew what they wanted to do from the start.
Opeth is a special band in the way that they grow on most who listen to them, the appreciation needed can take years. It is the kind of music that you forget you are listening to, as it puts you in another place.
This is a very special album and should not be ignored by any fan.
If you really want to appreciate this, get really really stoned before listening to it, with the lyrics handy.
11.12.2008 - 02:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
"The thing is that Mikael Åkerfeldt and his gang knew exactly what they were doing right from the beginning and it really shows on their debut album Orchid."

EXACTLY what I believe too! Opeth did it right here with their debut. They actually almost peaked right away. Orchid can proudly stand together with all the other albums, actually hold its head up much taller than some of them (*coughs*"Ghost-Reveries"-and-"Deliverance"*coughs*). That they IMO already wrote their best song with "The Twillight is My Robe" (although they have a bunch of other songs equally good) says it all. At least for a big Opeth fan as myself.
----
11.12.2008 - 18:06
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 11.12.2008 at 02:21

"The thing is that Mikael Åkerfeldt and his gang knew exactly what they were doing right from the beginning and it really shows on their debut album Orchid."

EXACTLY what I believe too! Opeth did it right here with their debut. They actually almost peaked right away. Orchid can proudly stand together with all the other albums, actually hold its head up much taller than some of them (*coughs*"Ghost-Reveries"-and-"Deliverance"*coughs*). That they IMO already wrote their best song with "The Twillight is My Robe" (although they have a bunch of other songs equally good) says it all. At least for a big Opeth fan as myself.

You can add Watershed to that () It's funny.. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that think that GR is fucking overrated.

This album is pure magic... and probably the darkest one. It's deadly serious. And the growls are out of this world... really haunting music.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.12.2008 - 00:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.12.2008 at 18:06

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that think that GR is fucking overrated.

It is overrated but I still like it though. It's a disgrace that the swedish Metal magazine "Close-Up" put it on the list of the "100 best albums 1991-2008" but left out Opeth's four first albums. And yes, Blackwater Park is on it.
----
12.12.2008 - 16:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 12.12.2008 at 00:08

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.12.2008 at 18:06

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that think that GR is fucking overrated.

It is overrated but I still like it though. It's a disgrace that the swedish Metal magazine "Close-Up" put it on the list of the "100 best albums 1991-2008" but left out Opeth's four first albums. And yes, Blackwater Park is on it.

I also like that album... But it's not that good as people want us to think.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.10.2009 - 03:02
advent
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.12.2008 at 16:18

I also like that album... But it's not that good as people want us to think.

man you are so right. blackwater bark is a good one...but moringrise,orchid and still life are much much better.But i think the measure it by commercial success not by album quality unfortunately
28.11.2010 - 12:43
Among the top 3 Opeth albums (along with Morningrise and Still Life)
21.02.2011 - 19:12
BlankFile
A magnificent debut album by one of the best metal bands around. Above all its a very solid effort, just a spectacular sample for what was coming later that is indeed even greater than this release. Just listen and see for yourself...
05.06.2011 - 11:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Good review. Very true, Orchid is amazing and should not be overlooked in any case. This is an amazingly epic debut with great songwriting.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.11.2011 - 16:11
1Yossarian1
Great review, very well put.
08.11.2011 - 09:17
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Quote:
An equal range of guttural and clean vocals is still in full form on Orchid.

This is Opeth's debut, so "still in full form" seems out of place.
08.11.2011 - 09:24
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Daniell on 08.11.2011 at 09:17
This is Opeth's debut, so "still in full form" seems out of place.

Maybe he means the bonus song specifically.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.11.2011 - 10:11
JCJen7
Written by Evil Chip on 08.03.2008 at 09:13

Mikael Akerfeldt sounds amazing in this album.... well he always sounds good. Requiem is my favourite of this album.

you mean the minute-long interlude song....?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
27.07.2012 - 23:19
DJ Cosimoto
Orchid is such a lost gem... they don't even play any songs from it live anymore.. such a shame coz it's not just Opeths best work alongside 'Morningrise', but maybe one of the most original, powerful and important debuts within any metal subgenre. 10/10
28.07.2012 - 02:27
Uldreth
Written by Guest on 27.07.2012 at 23:44

"Lost gem" is reserved for bands a lot smaller than Opeth.

Considering how underappreciated and "underknown" this album is, not just in relation to Opeth's rest (and especially their post-BwP albums) but even without comparing it to other Opeth releases, I think the term is rather fairly used here.

This album is not without flaws, it can drag on and at times is really disjointed, yet despite even those flaws, this is easily some of the best shit Opeth has ever written.

Hits total: 16534 | This month: 34