07. The Emerald Piper [Limited Edition bonus]
08. Vulture
09. Amnesia
10. Magical Fix
11. Illumination
12. Caprice [bonus]

The Best Gothic Metal Album Of 2010

Additional info
Drums recorded in Tanken Studio, Oslo by Fredrik Wallumrød, January 2010.
Guitars, bass and violin recorded in K-Lab Studio, Stavanger by Anders Høyvik Hidle and Ole Vistnes, February 2010.
Vocals recorded in Amadeus Studio, Oslo by Sigmund Vegge and Waldemar Sorychta, February and March 2010.
Mixed by Waldemar Sorychta and Dennis Koehne in Flying Pigs Studio, April 2010.
Mastered by Svante Forsbäck at Chartmakers, May 2010.

Produced by Anders Høyvik Hidle and Ole Vistnes.
Co-produced by Waldemar Sorychta.

Photos and front cover artwork by angst-im-wald.
Booklet design by Tinko Georgiev.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Tristania is for one more time in the controversial eye of the cyclone. The first time was when Morten Veland ceased to be a member of the band. The second was when the charismatic and adored by the fans of the band (and of gothic metal as well), Vibeke Stene, left. But the flames of controversy hadn't risen that much, not until recently when their 6th full-length album came to the surface, the 1st with Mariangela "Mary" Demurtas on the female vocals. Yet, this isn't the only change on the line-up, only two of the founding members remain in the ranks of Tristania, Anders Høyvik Hidle and Einar Moen, although Osten still partakes as a guest vocalist which is very welcome, he has also written half the lyrics of the album.

Read more ››
published 13.09.2010 | Comments (25)

Found in 3 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 62   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 644 users
11.09.2010 - 13:59
Rating: 7
Vonpire
Written by annodomini on 11.09.2010 at 13:11

Written by Vonpire on 10.09.2010 at 19:08

Written by annodomini on 07.09.2010 at 15:56

Here is my review of Rubicon: for those who can't understand that this is great album, I have explained why!

http://cabinofart.blogspot.com/2010/08/tristania-illumination.html

Awwww.. .And you give 8.5 there and 10 here. Makes total sense

I give 10 here, to make the overall rating higher, cause it doesn't deserve such a low rating, IMO. But we are starting again...

No problem mate, if it works for you, fine! At least Tristania made an happy fan with this release
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
12.09.2010 - 11:26
Rating: 6
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Cassian on 12.09.2010 at 05:21

WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO CYNICAL/
THIS IS A GREAT RETURN OF TRISTANIA!!! NOT AS GREAT AS THEIR PREVIOUS, BUT IT MAKES SENSE. THE MUSIC MAKES SENSE, AND STILL REMINDS OF WHO I'M LISTENING TO. THAT'S ENOUGH

First of all I have to mention that caps are not authorized here. Secondly this is just a bullshit when you compare it with old Tristania this is the biggest let down of 2010.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
13.09.2010 - 21:28
Jeeers
Written by Cassian on 12.09.2010 at 05:21

WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO CYNICAL/
THIS IS A GREAT RETURN OF TRISTANIA!!! NOT AS GREAT AS THEIR PREVIOUS, BUT IT MAKES SENSE. THE MUSIC MAKES SENSE, AND STILL REMINDS OF WHO I'M LISTENING TO. THAT'S ENOUGH

It seems that you are so mad at us (nonbelivers in crappy vocals) that you write in caps! Ok, I don't mind that, we all love some bands and hate some albums, and being completely objective IS NOT POSSIBLE!
For example I can deliver myself for tearing apart to Power metal fans - saying that this is the most naive and stupid metal style EVER invented and calling Tarja Turunen from Nightwish "dropped out opera solist" (not very talented) and their music crap, but i try to remain at least a little bit objective - but
YOU, trying to rise a total vote for such an album with your 10 is just ridiculous!!!
Maybe you love it so much that you are pissing your pants, but I can't give it more than 6.
I don't judge you, I'm just wondering.... about your vote.
It is a question about voting in Metalstorm in general, because I'm very careful about voting 10 if it's not something GENIOUS!

OK, guys and gals, maybe I'm, too drunk this evening and too philosofical- I married just 2 days ago and I'm relaxing and drinking now... and commenting on Metalstorm! Peace (piss) on you!!!
14.09.2010 - 17:58
Rating: 8
Aphelion
Maybe I'm wrong and not so inside the gothic metal matter but, I have all Tristania works, and apart the undoutable change of linestyle, and a general tendence to become easier for the new (possible) listeners/fans, I'm still convinced they are very good musicians and always trying to find new ideas.
I'm one of the few that believes Einar doesn't need at all the presence of Morten to make great music!

I agree 100% with the staff review (very good indeed). Any time I listen to Rubicon I find out something new and even if it's not their best album, surely it isn't their worst too.

I also have Sirenia's albums but my idea is that Morten's music now, is even more poppy than the last Tristania's work.:thumbup:
----
PO TOLO !!!!!
14.09.2010 - 18:47
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Aphelion on 14.09.2010 at 17:58

I also have Sirenia's albums but my idea is that Morten's music now, is even more poppy than the last Tristania's work.:thumbup:

Can I ask you which album is their worst album in you opinion?
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
14.09.2010 - 20:27
Aphelion
Written by Elyar S. on 14.09.2010 at 18:47

Written by Aphelion on 14.09.2010 at 17:58

Can I ask you which album is their worst album in you opinion?

In my opinion Ashes, and the best is Beyond the veil.
----
PO TOLO !!!!!
11.10.2010 - 17:29
Vonpire
Written by Vonpire on 25.08.2010 at 15:46

I am disapointed. Specially with the song Magical Fix... OMG What a crap song. Besides that it's a nice album, but not outstanding as i would expect from Tristania.

Besides i don't like her voice so much and song structures are also a bit... Commercial...

But , it's very fresh yet on my ears, maybe it will grow with time (I hope).

For me best one is the last, which is the only song bigger than 5 minutes!!! This mean a lot about this new album...

Well Let me see if rating is ok :

Songs :

01 - 8/10
02 - 9/10
03 - 7/10
04 - 7/10
05 - 7/10
06 - 6/10
07 - 6/10
08 - 7/10
09 - 8/10
10 - 5/10
11 - 9/10

So here it comes - 8+9+7+7+7+6+6+7+8+5+9 / 11 = 7,18 rounded for 7....

EDIT : It Didn't grow on me after 5 listens.

Wow to me! My rating was pefect! 7,18 rating to this album, that, based on74 votes at this date gets 7,16, A miss of 0,2 . Flawless! xD

My taste reflects all 74 people tastes hahaha
----
01.02.2011 - 10:24
Rating: 10
mpdeimos
Well, I've listened to the album now quite a few times since the release. and i am enjoying it more and more on each listening.

So it definitly grew on me, yay!

Have to revert my rating
26.02.2011 - 15:20
VPeter
Checked this out because of the awards. I already know Tristania and have some fond memories of their past albums although I don't listen to them that very often. All I can say about this album is; oh... my....god....this is so bad....
What happened? I have already read some blame the vocalist and she does seem oddly misplaced on this album but I put the blame more on the song writing itself. The song writing is really bland and the songs sound like really bad pop rock songs with the song "Patriot Games" being the worst of all. The vocalist doesn't fit well at all with the music, but like I said I put the blame more on the song writing and I doubt any vocalist could have saved it.
07.03.2011 - 15:27
Vonpire
Best gothic Metal of 2010!!?!?!?!??! Buhahahahahahaha, what a joke!!!!!!!!!!

Not good, stupid awards these are....
----
09.03.2011 - 06:18
V3par
Illumination is the best song on the album & one of my favorite songs ever. Well done Tristania!
09.03.2011 - 08:06
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Slyfang on 02.09.2010 at 04:38

The secret to loving Tristania's music is to stop comparing every album to the previous one. i've never felt disappointed and find everything they do highly enjoyable

Truer words were never spoken.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.03.2011 - 21:39
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I don't plan on getting Rubicon, since i did not enjoy listening to it.
17.03.2011 - 23:04
Rating: 5
Permafrost
Complete crap. Come on, call this vocals ?? even my mother should do better. This must be THE letdown of 2010.
Title must not be Rubicon but Rubbish.
23.03.2011 - 00:35
Rating: 5
Behdaad
DEAD
Best Gothic album of the year?! WTF?!
It sucks! It was more of a Hard Rock album!
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
12.05.2011 - 21:46
Vonpire
Written by Behdaad on 23.03.2011 at 00:35

Totally Agree.

Ridiculous this award! Worse, only new Sirenia album...
----
13.05.2011 - 22:13
SceneryOfLoss
I don't think it's so bad. It really follow "Ilumination"'s direction and Mariangela does a stunning performance, plus the violins sound totally amazing!
05.08.2011 - 11:08
Cassian
It IS an amazing album, if you are a true Gothic/Symphonic metal fan. Less metal sounds and more experimental sounds does not make them a hard rock band, guys.
17.09.2011 - 13:19
Night Sight
When i compare it with their classic albums like "Ashes" and "illumination" it is honest to rate it 2.
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
01.03.2012 - 15:21
TedManowar
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 20:17

It's like living The Gathering's second album again.. again and once again...

spot on!!!
01.03.2012 - 15:23
TedManowar
Account deleted
Written by Behdaad on 23.03.2011 at 00:35

10000% agree !
03.11.2012 - 15:09
Rating: 3
Reaper_Redeemer
Written by Cassian on 05.08.2011 at 11:08

It IS an amazing album, if you are a true Gothic/Symphonic metal fan. Less metal sounds and more experimental sounds does not make them a hard rock band, guys.

LOL...

RIP Tristania...
04.11.2012 - 11:08
Cassian
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 03.11.2012 at 15:09

LOL...

RIP Tristania...

LOL
Some people just don't have ears.
31.01.2013 - 09:14
Rating: 4
How they can made such a shit ?
03.06.2013 - 18:38
Erik M.
Written by Cassian on 04.11.2012 at 11:08

LOL...

RIP Tristania...

LOL

And some people are just total fanboys who aren't capable of distinguishing brilliant, great, decent and bad metal. You can't really judge anyone's opinion or rating if you only hand out 9's and 10's, which is utterly ridiculous since that means you only listen to brilliant music/masterpieces and that simply isn't possible. So I suggest you review your own scores and actually learn how to rate your music instead of having a 9.6+ average rating.
08.06.2013 - 05:04
Cassian
Written by Erik M. on 03.06.2013 at 18:38

Written by Cassian on 04.11.2012 at 11:08

LOL...

RIP Tristania...

LOL

And some people are just total fanboys who aren't capable of distinguishing brilliant, great, decent and bad metal. You can't really judge anyone's opinion or rating if you only hand out 9's and 10's, which is utterly ridiculous since that means you only listen to brilliant music/masterpieces and that simply isn't possible. So I suggest you review your own scores and actually learn how to rate your music instead of having a 9.6+ average rating.

Good point. In fact, I don't rate to review. If you look into my profile you can see I always rate albums 9 or 10, not because everything I listen to is brilliant. They're definitely not.

I'm not a critic, I give an album I like the highest score possible with the hope to improve its ranking, even if the album is not a masterpiece. I don't listen to rubbish bands that create intolerable music; I only listen to those with certain levels of reputation. Their songs/albums are carefully engineered and professionally produced, and I think it's more enjoyable than those created by underground bands with the so-called "brilliance" lying beneath low-quality recording and cheap, amateur cover artwork. It's merely a personal choice, you may call me superficial if you please.
08.06.2013 - 16:01
Erik M.
Written by Cassian on 08.06.2013 at 05:04

Good point. In fact, I don't rate to review. If you look into my profile you can see I always rate albums 9 or 10, not because everything I listen to is brilliant. They're definitely not.

I'm not a critic, I give an album I like the highest score possible with the hope to improve its ranking, even if the album is not a masterpiece. I don't listen to rubbish bands that create intolerable music; I only listen to those with certain levels of reputation. Their songs/albums are carefully engineered and professionally produced, and I think it's more enjoyable than those created by underground bands with the so-called "brilliance" lying beneath low-quality recording and cheap, amateur cover artwork. It's merely a personal choice, you may call me superficial if you please.

First of all, it's your choice for doing so. However, yesterday there was someone in the shoutbox mentioning all her votes got deleted due to handing out only 9's and 10's to her favourite albums. She also cannot vote for albums and in polls for 180 days. Look it up, it's still in the shoutbox.

If you want to lie to yourself and others about how you feel about the albums you're rating, fine by me, but don't be surprised if people don't trust your judgement when it comes to music. In other words, I cannot take an opinion of someone who rates everything 9's and 10's seriously at all. This is not necessarily about you, but just in general. Simply handing out high votes for the sake of improving the rating is a bit weird, since it means you care more about the MS rating than about your own rating. In that case, what's the point of voting? Hell, I even think I'm too generous with handing out 8's and 9's to stuff, but if you'd put my votes in a graph then you'd see a bell curve which is an honest vote distribution.
09.10.2013 - 19:16
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
With Ashes Tristania made me believe that they can find their new sound after the departure of Morten Veland, but since that time their music seems more and more boring to my ears with each new album. And, in my opinion, departure of Vibeke Stene has killed off the band. Not that Mariangela Demiurtas sings bad, not at all. It's just that she doesn't have such a unique warm vocal timbre I loved Vibeke for. Even the return of Pete Johansen with his ever brilliant violin play doesn't save this record, but it did make me raise the rating by one point after all.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
22.02.2015 - 10:47
Rating: 3
angel.
Evil Butterfly
The best gothic metal of 2010 ? WOW !
----
The Fangirl.
22.02.2015 - 18:56
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Rubicon continues to entice me after nearly 5 years. A new era was introduced for a band with several amazing "eras" already; a band who continuously reinvents themselves with huge success.

The fact that so many Metal Stormers don't love their newer works DOES make sense. If their last 4 albums were released under a different band name, or at least the last 2 albums, they would have been very well received here. It's hard for many fans to watch bands evolve so much and to travel so far from their roots, their roots to which we already have an emotional connection. It makes people feel left behind, sadly.

It's easy to remember just the nostalgia and say that we miss Vibeke but Illumination was very, very poorly received here, as was Ashes. Vibeke sang beautifully on both of those. Even the incredible World Of Glass was answered with cries of "we miss Morton" and "RIP Tristania." They persevere, they have with every album since the very beginning. "Tristania" is an idea always being reborn. Even Beyond The Veil was an evolution away from Widow's Weeds.

Rubicon is an adventure that I love taking, listen after listen. I consider each Tristania album to be a wonderful journey and a unique moment, but Rubicon certainly does hold a special place for bringing the aching beauty of music to such a soaring height.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 20785 | This month: 41