Metal Storm logo
Guitar Effect Pedals

03.07.2010 - 02:16
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
So, What Guitar Pedals do you have? and which ones do you think are the most necessary to every guitarist regardless of his playing style? share your thoughts here.

I currently own only one pedal (after selling all the other ones i had) and it is the Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby 'Zakk Wylde' Signature Wah pedal.
i sold my other pedals as i have all the effects i need on my combo-amp (Roland Cube 80x). I now kinda need a 'noise gate' and i'm done, maybe a volume pedal or some footswitches too.

i believe the most important pedals anyone must have are 'Overdrive', 'EQ', and 'Reverb'.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
16.07.2010 - 10:17
k1tu
I can't say which ones most necessary...

But my myself I have only a footswitch to change channels and a BOSS FZ-5 Fuzz pedal...Ofcourse I'd want more, but I don't need more at my band at the moment.
04.08.2010 - 16:16
ferm
I do not have a pedal by now as I this far only play at home I have a Peavy Vypyr amp with digital effects in it....

But, now I am going to buy a pedal/pedals as I soon will play with band. Then I wonder what pedals that people can reccommend at the moment. Pedals that fit well for death, black and thrash.....
07.08.2010 - 18:05
survine
For guitar I use a Metal Zone dist pedal and a Boss Compression pedal to tighten it up a bit.
For bass i just have an old Digitech multi effects pedal, been doing me fine for about 6 years now.
07.08.2010 - 18:39
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
@survine:
Do you play Black Metal ?
----

07.08.2010 - 19:34
survine
Written by Zombie on 07.08.2010 at 18:39

@survine:

Ahh i dont usually sit down and learn Black Metal songs, but I like throwing black metal style riffs into songs I write.. so.. yes lol
07.08.2010 - 20:46
RockeRoy
If any of you are looking for a Distorsion/overdrive pedal.. i highly recommend "Blackstar ht-dual" i work in a guitar shop and i try everything there is, and this pedal got it all and sounds amaizing. it's tube driven and go two channels.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdual.html
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
07.08.2010 - 21:04
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by survine on 07.08.2010 at 19:34

@survine:

Ahh i dont usually sit down and learn Black Metal songs, but I like throwing black metal style riffs into songs I write.. so.. yes lol

i asked coz Metal Zone pedal is VERY noisy and mushy pedal, only good for Black Metal, or maybe playing 'the berzerker' kinda music.. other than that i wont use it if i want the audience to be able to distinguish what notes i'm playing.
----

07.08.2010 - 21:09
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by RockeRoy on 07.08.2010 at 20:46

If any of you are looking for a Distorsion/overdrive pedal.. i highly recommend "Blackstar ht-dual" i work in a guitar shop and i try everything there is, and this pedal got it all and sounds amaizing. it's tube driven and go two channels.

Do you have any audio samples for that? it seems like a nice pedal.
----

07.08.2010 - 21:34
survine
Written by Zombie on 07.08.2010 at 21:04

Written by survine on 07.08.2010 at 19:34

@survine:

i asked coz Metal Zone pedal is VERY noisy and mushy pedal, only good for Black Metal, or maybe playing 'the berzerker' kinda music.. other than that i wont use it if i want the audience to be able to distinguish what notes i'm playing.

Really? I dont find it too bad at all, what kind of amp set up do you use?
07.08.2010 - 21:45
RockeRoy
Written by Zombie on 07.08.2010 at 21:09

Written by RockeRoy on 07.08.2010 at 20:46

Do you have any audio samples for that? it seems like a nice pedal.

I It was difficult to find any samples of people using the pedal playing metal, i found one on youtube that i think shows a litle bit how it sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN8N5O8WtaE
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
08.08.2010 - 00:09
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
That's a pretty decent sounding distortion pedal, surely nothing beats the amps distortion, but that's a good replacement for those who aren't able to get decent tube amps
----

20.10.2010 - 11:46
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Since I'm pretty low on cash nowadays (and the fact that I'm not in a band ATM) I use a ZOOM G2.1u multi-effect pedal which sounds really cool with all the built-in effects, but I'm more of an analog effects fan rather than digital ones.
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
23.12.2010 - 12:01
whatsacow
I like to experiment with delays, reverbs (I have an awesome spring reverb effect atm), ultra chorus, wah and obviously distortion. I don't think I could live without those effects atm.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.04.2011 - 00:06
whatsacow
Just bought a Boss ME-70 and I love it. The only thing is though, that you can't have delay in the loop track
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
12.05.2011 - 18:42
terrorist
I think delays are cool and i always wanted to try diffrent delays,they fill the music and makes it more powerfull.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
24.05.2011 - 19:47
Sammol
I currently have EHX Metal Muff and Boss DD3. Also a Zoom G1x but it sucks.
25.05.2011 - 20:48
NyarlathoTim
I use a Boss GT-10 for pretty much everything guitar-related. I love it!

My favorite features:
- It has amp sims if you want to quickly record a demo at 3am without waking the neighbors. Or you can use it as your distortion channel if your amp's distortion sucks.
- Speaking of which, it has an effects loop itself, and can act like your amp's footswitch. So, not only can you use your own amp's distortion with the pedal's effects, but you can also place it anywhere in the effects chain!
- The phrase loop is neat because you can jam over a riff you recorded and come up with harmonies and such!

I love pretty much everything Boss makes. When I'm not using the GT-10, I have a Metal Zone, Tuner, Delay (DD-3), EQ, Volume, and Chorus (I forget which one).

Every metal guitarist, in my opinion, needs a tuner, some kind of distortion, some kind of solo/lead boost (EQ in my case), Noise Supressor or Volume, and chorus, if you do any clean stuff.

I'm not a fan of the onboard effects amps nowadays are coming with. It sounds too digitals.
----
Burning Shadows - US Power Metal
Recently Vacated Graves - Zombie Metal
Isenmor - Folk Metal
17.06.2011 - 16:43
mr.g
I dont like those pedals that have "Metal" or "Destroyer" or something similar in their name. They all suck in some way.
SD twin tube mayham sucks big time = no enough gain and even with gain at 10 its crappy sounding
VoX bulldog distortion = On every amp has tottaly different sound. On marshall is amfull, horrible! On B-52 - ok to some point, on Peaveys suck! on ENGL is tottaly ok
Metal Zone = chainsaw. Its a fuzz pedal mixed with distortion and noise.
Trashmetal (dont know the name of manufacturer) = Its best choice of all above

Recently i bought Sansamp GT and its best thing I EVER bought. Plug it in fx return to have very good distortion. On every amp sounds the same because of bypassing preamp. When on clean i use digitech Digidelay which has delay+chorus option and its great for clean that i need for my band.
----
Listen to METAL => www.reverbnation.com/innergate
24.06.2011 - 23:50
SSM
Massacred
Digitech Bad Monkey, Blackstar HTDX1, BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor
and BOSS GT-10 and I could get a really solid/tight metal sound. (With Marshall AVT 20)

BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor is necessary for everyone if you ask me.
25.08.2011 - 20:47
Glaucus
I just recently purchased the Line 6 POD HD500, and that thing is a monster. I have never been too good with amps and pedals and what not, my history of equipment has always been with amps that came with built in effects. Such as Crate Combo Amps, and my most recent Line 6 amp, the gx120 or something. I did use a pedal a few years ago, one of the ZOOM pedals that Imperial mentioned, and I loved that thing to pieces (literally). I think mine was the ZOOM 505II, or something like that.

But, the HD500 is blowing me away. It comes with like 2 dozen amplifier samples, just as many cabinets (and even mics) and any effect you can think of. Everything from compressors to harmony.

If anyone else has a HD500, right now I have a distortion set using the Engl Fireball amp with an XXL 4x12 cab and a ribbon mic, a noise gate as a pre effect, and then I have a reverb and a delay as post effects.

I am not completely happy with the tone, since when I start playing higher pitches I get that reverberating 'tremolo' sound that's reeaally annoying whenever I'm trying to sustain a note. So, I'm still tweaking that.

But, uh, if you're looking for a pedal, the HD500 can very well be the last thing you ever need to purchase, haha. I've been recording with it as well, since it has a USB interface and comes with tons of other crap.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
29.10.2011 - 06:29
The only pedal I've owned, and I bought this about 3 years ago, is the Boss Metal Core pedal. Yes - cardinal sin, it has metal in the name, but I actually find it really good. Sound gets a bit muddy if you turn up the base too high, but I overcame that by keeping base and treble fairly close to the middle and letting my amp (one of the cheaper marshall stacks - in built dfx are okay, but not very versatile) do most of the eq work. It took ages to really figure out how to optimise it, I'm still not quite there, but its mostly great. I can get quite a good tool/opeth sound out of it, and just ramp up the treble to play something like lamb of god or mastodon. Great pedal - loyal servant.

This xmas I'm going to invest in some effects - my mate has a volume pedal that I cannot get enough of, and I'm going to try out a compressor, as well as a flange or phaser. I'll grab a delay pedal as well, because why not.

The essential pedal is: The chromatic tuner. Only used one a couple of times, but on convenience alone, it's worth its weight in gold. I'll pick one up when the gigs start happening. I have a sneaking suspicion that a noise reducer/suppressor may follow soon after.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
03.11.2011 - 16:56
Vombatus
Potorro
I have no idea of pedals but since I'm probably gonna throw in a guitar in my band, I should get one.

Any recommendations ?
For info, I'd prefer one with distortion that makes sound muddy/shitty/kvltstuff and some reverb (I'm obsessed with that effect )... appart that I don't know what other effect could fit well (maybe delays?)... not looking for something great, even some old-cheap-garbage one would fit as long as it has those 2 or 3 effects.
15.11.2011 - 20:55
Misfit74
I have a POD X3 Live. I love it. It's great to record to PC, features pretty much every effect or sets of effects you can think of. Also uses modeling to let you simulate playing through a variety of heads, cabinets, etc. I have a friend to bought one, too, and he's very happy with it as well. It's about $500.00 but you shouldn't have to buy anything else, depending on your goals. I get some really sweet tones from it for all types of bands' sounds. You can download or create your own tones, including dual tones at once. I have been able to use excellent tones that are almost perfect duplications of some of my favorite bands as well as customize my own very specific to my own tastes. The built-in Wah-pedal is sturdy and works great. The entire effects pedal overall is well-built and sturdy and I've had zero problems with it since buying it a couple years ago. Check it out (below).

Details here: http://line6.com/podx3live/