Metal Storm logo
Diverse Bands or Complete Sets For One Band?

Poll

Few Albums From Many Bands or Many Albums From Few Bands?

Many Bands, Few Albums Each
Few Bands, Complete Discographies

Total votes: 13
06.07.2010 - 02:07
Sulac

I'm expecting a fair sum of money sometime within the next couple of months, and I'm planning on spending it on albums. I'm planning on trying out a bunch of new bands (power metal, mostly, if you want a list its on a comment I have in the Powerwolf thread), and I was wondering: do most metalheads spend their windfall on finding a favorite band than buying every album they've put out, or do they try new bands, but only buying one effort from each.

In other words, would you buy nine Iced Earth or Blind Guardian albums, or nine albums from nine different bands?

(If this doesn't belong in this section, I'm very sorry.)
06.07.2010 - 03:10
Got Mayhem?

Nine different bands, unless the releases in question are rare or hard to find, then by all means get as many albums by the same band as you have to. Also, lets face it, there are only a few bands out there that have discographies that are worth getting in full. When I go out to buy I always get a bunch of stuff from different genres just to mix it up even more.
----
06.07.2010 - 03:17
Kennoth

It all depends on your taste, and how you like some bands.

Since I don't have a lot of artists on my repertoire, I think I'd go for complete sets myself.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.07.2010 - 04:15
Sulac

I didn't put a little bit of both option, stupid thinking there.

I think the only bands I'd want to get complete discographies for are Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Amon Amarth, Kamelot, and *maybe* Sabaton.

And given the choice between a bunch of diverse bands or those complete sets, I'd choose the diverse bands. I have a horrible habit of picking one album from a band and listening to it exclusively.
06.07.2010 - 06:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Mix and match here.

if an artist continues to put out quality work, i am a bit of a completionist. additionally, i am a bit more hesitant to just piss away money on anything now, for the most part. i'll have to have read nice things about a band from some source i trust before i'll plunk down cash.

last order i placed was from psychedoomelic. had money for three albums. bought two i was familiar with, and had marcel toss me a blind suggestion on the third...

that approach pretty much assures i'll get something i like, but at the same time helps keep my collection a bit fresh by introducing new bands.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.07.2010 - 21:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Right now I am in the phase where I try to get my favorite records and not complete discographies. Once I am done with that and if I have enough money I will try to complete my favorite bands' discographies. I think though that my general principle will remain as it is now. So voting for "many bands..."
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.07.2010 - 21:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Many bands. I personally very rarely (though not exclusively) obtain all albums of a band, even some of my many favourites. I think a bit of research into the best of each band is the way to go as invariably each band has highs and lows.
07.07.2010 - 03:29
whatsacow

Many bands. The ones you like the most you go back later when you get more money and obtain all their stuff
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
09.07.2010 - 19:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2010 at 06:25

Mix and match here.

if an artist continues to put out quality work, i am a bit of a completionist. additionally, i am a bit more hesitant to just piss away money on anything now, for the most part. i'll have to have read nice things about a band from some source i trust before i'll plunk down cash.

last order i placed was from psychedoomelic. had money for three albums. bought two i was familiar with, and had marcel toss me a blind suggestion on the third...

that approach pretty much assures i'll get something i like, but at the same time helps keep my collection a bit fresh by introducing new bands.

I'm a bit of a completionist as well although I'll gladly skip albums I can do without but with my fav bands I usually have all their work. I also like the feeling of waiting for the next album of ur fav band. I hardly ever do that with new bands though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.07.2010 - 23:25
Hrothdane

It depends entirely on the artist. I really enjoy having music from a very diverse collection of artists, but some of my favorites (Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Nevermore, etc...) I feel like getting all of their albums (I do kinda regret the first few non-Roy Khan Kamelot albums...). I try to do research ahead of time beyond just looking at album ratings though. Isolate what you like about the music and bands you listen to, and then look for that in the reviews you read. Don't write off an album with a lower rating without looking into it first.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
10.07.2010 - 23:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I tend to be completist, and if I really like a band, I like to own all their albums. Even if some are of a lesser quality than some others. If Im not a big fan of the band, then owning one or two albums by them is fine.
11.07.2010 - 11:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Usually I like to own all of their albums, but it depends on the general reception and style of music.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.07.2010 - 12:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think you should just concentrate on the good albums from a handful of bands. why should you waste your time with a band's weak albums just to get all their stuff?
11.07.2010 - 12:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Valentin B on 11.07.2010 at 12:15

I think you should just concentrate on the good albums from a handful of bands. why should you waste your time with a band's weak albums just to get all their stuff?

Because the "weak stuff" isn't always what it's made out to be (i.e. Jugulator).
----
11.07.2010 - 12:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by vezzy on 11.07.2010 at 12:19

Because the "weak stuff" isn't always what it's made out to be (i.e. Jugulator).

from what i saw Jugulator is rated quite higher than let's say Point Of Entry, Demolition, Turbo and Rocka Rolla?

also, that's why you should always listen to albums before you buy one.
11.07.2010 - 12:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Valentin B on 11.07.2010 at 12:22

Written by vezzy on 11.07.2010 at 12:19

from what i saw Jugulator is rated quite higher than let's say Point Of Entry, Demolition, Turbo and Rocka Rolla?

also, that's why you should always listen to albums before you buy one.

Maybe on Metal Storm, but not in other places. Actually, reception is mixed...
----