Metal Storm logo
Lyrical Themes: Christianity vs Satanism

Original post

Posted by Sulac, 09.07.2010 - 06:11
I am a (fairly) devout Christian, and make it known, but there are a lot of people that point at my metal collection and shout "Hypocrite" or some such. However, I flat out refuse to listen to anything that is anti-Christian (though I do like Viking Metal). This little standpoint is both a concession to my parents however, it is a personal choice that I follow completely. (Even though a couple really good bands were anti-Religious that challenged my viewpoint, ala Deicide and Draconian).

Anyways, I was wondering: Does anyone else share a similar ethical standing on music?

I prefer music that deals with topics other than religion (or with Norse religion), by the way. I'm not a huge fan of preachy Christian bands.

Poll

Does an artist's religious viewpoint affect your listening to them?

Eh. I don't really care.
Music that leaves Religion alone.
Anything that tears down religion.
Satanic all the way! Jesus is a c**t!
Christian or neutral, nothing anti-God.
Paganism
Prefer Christian, but'll listen to other
Other Religions

Total votes: 83
23.09.2011 - 05:35
king_matt

I don't care, but I prefer bands to just leave religion alone, so I voted for that.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
24.09.2011 - 03:37
NecroCorpSlayer

Deicide's lyrics sum up my feelings for religions.
24.09.2011 - 08:01
JÄY
Metal slave
Id rather songs have no religious views....but satanism is more fun in metal.
24.09.2011 - 22:00
ANGEL REAPER

Written by JÄY on 24.09.2011 at 08:01

Id rather songs have no religious views....but satanism is more fun in metal.

+1
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.09.2011 - 01:35
psykometal
A staff guy...
I don't really care. I listen to the bands for their music and the vocals are just another instrument for me. Only reason I can ever tell if the band is satanic or gory is by the artwork because I don't care about lyrics...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

25.09.2011 - 18:11
Infernal Eternal

You know i'm greek and christians destroyed everything here the ancient temples , the statues , the libraries and killed the philosophers and the scientists. so pagan , satanic or antichristian lyrics is what i listen to most of the time but i guess neutral themes are sometimes better:banger:
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.09.2011 - 14:50
king_matt

Written by psykometal on 25.09.2011 at 01:35

I don't really care. I listen to the bands for their music and the vocals are just another instrument for me. Only reason I can ever tell if the band is satanic or gory is by the artwork because I don't care about lyrics...

+1
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
30.09.2011 - 00:11
ravendeath

Yes, music is what counts about any band,...but if lyrics are shit I can't appreciate a band 100%, nevertheless I like their music. Usually satanic or christian themed lyrics are really dull.
20.10.2011 - 12:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I don't care what the themes or "message" are in the song as long as it's a good song. You don't have to agree with it to like it and some musicions don't nessesarily believe in what they write about (Ghaal was a pagan, yet sang about satanism). I don't drink, so does that mean I can't listen to AC/DC?
Unless the lyrics actually offend you, they shouldn't be an issue.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
20.10.2011 - 22:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 20.10.2011 at 12:08
I don't drink, so does that mean I can't listen to AC/DC?

I didn't know sober people listened to AC/DC, so to me that's not a good analogy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.11.2012 - 17:14
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally think religious themes get in the way of the music. Although I think Satanic themes are more fun in a metal song than pro christian themes (no offense to the author of the topic of course).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.11.2012 - 21:06
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
I'm a Christian, and while I appreciate the efforts of Christian bands, I like music best when it leaves religion alone. I think that spirituality is mostly personal and a lot of Christian metal doesn't strike any chords with me, it seems like it only scratches the surface. I don't listen to satanist music, but I'm okay with music with evil themes, like Slayer or Venom (not satanic). I like music about non-religious topics best, I tend to connect to it better.
08.11.2012 - 21:52
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Anything tears down religions and satanic/rebellion themes would be more fun
10.11.2012 - 05:14
Crucifux
Account deleted
I don't really care as long as the lyrics are tactful and not just a bunch of senseless hatemongering like Aeon's.
12.11.2012 - 20:53
PrinceLink

I don't care long as music is good. I'm no lyricist, so they're not a priority.