10. Home Is For The Heartless [ft. Brett Gurewitz]
11. Hollow [ft. Marshall Lichtenwaldt]
12. Leviathan I
13. Set To Destroy

Metalcore
Recorded: JHOC Studio, USA 2010
Label: Epitaph Records
Total Running Time: 43:38

Wait... did you just seriously click on a Parkway Drive review... tsk, and I thought you were cool. Anyway, I sure hope you weren't expecting a raving 5 star review for Parkway Drive's latest, because in that case you took the wrong lane. And if you think this pun is mediocre, wait till you hear the whole album.

The dry facts: Parkway Drive are a renowned metalcore act hailing from Australia. Deep Blue is the band's third full length, and features 12 songs and an intro - but good luck separating one track from the next. And for some reason the album also features a guest vocal appearance by Bad Religion guitarist Brett Gurewitz - because, you know, when we think noteworthy guest contributions on a metalcore album, we think Bad Religion.

Anyway, much to my surprise, the album isn't just another mix between metalcore, deathcore and everything else that is wrong with today's world. I guess this album is actually fairly... *gasp* ...decent. It's not the greatest thing around, but y'know, I heard much much worse before, so the bar isn't set very high.

The record certainly has its moments. On those moments the song pattern is heavy yet balanced, although slightly stereotypical; the rhythm section well-cared-for, and the overall ambiance inflaming. The album remains relatively free from blemish, mainly due to a strong attempt to keep the songwriting varied and to an impeccably clean production. And then of course the vocals. Fear not, they're consistently harsh in a good way. Parkway Drive's zero tolerance policy for clean/whiney vocals should be governed by a law.

The main downer is the lack of anything particularly original - no shock there I suppose. The great degree of repetitiveness isn't particularly annoying, but it's still there. If you believe Parkway Drive have what it takes to really differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack, you still believe in Santa Claus, and we all know how that story played out.

Let's be real, Deep Blue isn't the sort of album you want to be buried with. On the other hand, it isn't that abysmal you need to seek long-term therapy because it makes you want to wrestle naked men in an olive oil factory. Just a nice high-calorie snack for the metalcore sweet tooth.

Written by Thryce | 09.07.2010

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 328 users
09.07.2010 - 18:02
Got Mayhem?

I sure hope you weren't expecting a raving 5 star review...

Caught red handed
----
09.07.2010 - 23:13
DrM
DreaMutilated
I only clicked since I saw a new review, and to be honest I was getting my hopes up since you were the one reviewing it.
Indeed shame on me.
09.07.2010 - 23:58
Fat & Sassy!

Wait... What about Santa Claus? Is Christmas not coming this year? TT^TT
10.07.2010 - 12:28
Rating: 9
CrowKiller

This is a far better album than you give it credit for. I particularly enjoyed it.
10.07.2010 - 21:27
Legendary

Pretty sad attempt to burn down one of the best albums of the year.
If you choose to hate metalcore, go ahead live your live that way be an ass, just don't bother other people with it.
I read this kind of bullshit all the time on this website and usually ignore it because everyone knows internet discussions are worthless. But still I'd like to express my disgust for the fact that you toke the time actually writing this review and pretending that you have really listened to it. I myself also have genres I disfavour like black and death metal, to me their albums sound as repetitive as you describe this one, but I'm not gonna write a review to complain about that to the world, and I don't think there is a reason for you to do that. anyways, hate me if you want I know that's what people like to do over here, but I just thought this had to be said.
----
And I like the way your lips turned legendary.
And I like the way the sun will come to light.
10.07.2010 - 22:01
fazzeh

You disappoint me man... I'm not a particular big fan of Parkway Drive and metalcore in general, but this...
10.07.2010 - 22:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I am surprised at this negative review as well. I am totally not a fan of metalcore (or what is called metalcore nowadays) and even hate most of it. But this album is actually pretty decent.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.07.2010 - 07:39
munson

This album is alright. I've had minimal experience with Parkway drive, but I streamed this from the MySpace and I can say that I'm relatively unimpressed.
11.07.2010 - 10:40
Rating: 9
CrowKiller

Like the laste few people have been saying, this album is really great. I don't understand why you review a genre that you don't like. No offence dude but really....
11.07.2010 - 11:51
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Legendary on 10.07.2010 at 21:27

Haha, you people crack me up.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2010 at 22:19

I am surprised at this negative review as well. I am totally not a fan of metalcore (or what is called metalcore nowadays) and even hate most of it. But this album is actually pretty decent.

Yeah.... that's what I said... literally :
----
Your favorite band sucks.
11.07.2010 - 12:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
You may have stated it's decent (though you implied mediocrity at the start and wavered througout) but the general tone would suggest otherwise; your disdain for the genre is pretty apparent by your generalisation that metalcore and deathcore are what's wrong with world (be that as it may it doesn't exactly reek of objectivity) and this is backed up further with the popular trend of using metalcore albums as the butt of jokes and ridicule. May just be my view but reviews that try to extol humour at the expense of metalcore outfits is as old-hat as the worst of the genre itself. Again I probably am alone there, I just find humorous, or perhaps in this case, sarcastic, reviews tend to try and gloss over any real analysis. Surely a "decent" metalcore record amidst nothing but shite would be call for a minor celebration and I'm pretty sure if this was "decent" black metal album it would probably be treated with a bit more respect ;]

I guess my point is that I haven't heard this record and reading this review makes me think on one hand you're saying it's ok but on the other you're making me feel like a bit of prat for thinking about listening to it =P
11.07.2010 - 12:56
Thryce
Retired Staff
I implied mediocrity simply because the album IS mediocre - yup, some things are that easy.
Written by Guest on 11.07.2010 at 12:23

I'm pretty sure if this was "decent" black metal album it would probably be treated with a bit more respect ;]

Not likely ;] In fact I probably listen to more hardcore/metalcore (by which I obviously mean good hardcore/metalcore) than black metal nowadays. In fact, when I wrote "everything else that is wrong with today's world" I mainly had "decent" black metal in mind. Well, that and terrible journalism
----
Your favorite band sucks.
11.07.2010 - 13:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Thryce on 11.07.2010 at 12:56

I implied mediocrity simply because the album IS mediocre - yeah, some things are that easy.

Not likely ;] In fact I probably listen to more hardcore/metalcore (by which I obviously mean good hardcore/metalcore) than black metal nowadays. In fact, when I wrote "everything else that is wrong with today's world" I mainly had "decent" black metal in mind. Well, that and terrible journalism

Well I still think "decent" and "mediocre" are in two different camps, it's hard to use the word decent even as a backhanded compliment, it suggests "above average" whereas mediocrity is never a good thing per se ;] you might not consider it an important distinction but reviews that eschew scores tend to end up a little ambiguous without concise points.
11.07.2010 - 13:30
TUDOR666

If you choose to hate metalcore, go ahead live your live that way be an ass, just don't bother other people with it.
I read this kind of bullshit all the time on this website and usually ignore it because everyone knows internet discussions are worthless. But still I'd like to express my disgust for the fact that you toke the time actually writing this review and pretending that you have really listened to it. I myself also have genres I disfavour like black and death metal, to me their albums sound as repetitive as you describe this one, but I'm not gonna write a review to complain about that to the world, and I don't think there is a reason for you to do that. anyways, hate me if you want I know that's what people like to do over here, but I just thought this had to be said.

Ill live my 'LIVE" the way i want to pal
----
My one desire, my only wish is to be, EATEN!!!
11.07.2010 - 13:38
TUDOR666

I'm down with the review...Same shit different day. I'm aussie, i ain't jumping of any bandwagon just cause they "hail" from Australia. Its crap to be honest.

I hear that shit played by no named bands at my local, move on suckers!!!
----
My one desire, my only wish is to be, EATEN!!!
11.07.2010 - 20:02
Legendary

Written by TUDOR666 on 11.07.2010 at 13:30

Pretty sad attempt.........this had to be said.

Ill live my 'LIVE" the way i want to pal

That's pretty much what i told you to do....
----
11.07.2010 - 20:42
BudDa

Oh pliz, this review rules...whether this is album of the year or not(I have not yet listened to it)
This has surely cracked me up..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
12.07.2010 - 17:11
DrM
DreaMutilated

No, sorry, this was a proper review, by a man who's opinion I value more than someone who, according to his profile, plays his intimate organ.

Forgive me for being old fashioned, but I like my music to actually express something, instead of yelling "BREAK, THIS, SHIT, UP!"

And I think you also forgot the DEFINITION of the word Review: it is used to state an OPINION of the one writing it.

The fact of the matter is, if you choose to like crap doesn't mean everyone else would go and, like you, rate a lousy Sonic Syndicate EP a 10 (and before you respond, I DID sample it before rendering it utterly generic, boring and quite frankly a disgrace to my speakers).

Sorry for being so brutal on you, I just like you am expressing my opinion.
13.07.2010 - 19:22
Legendary

Written by DrM on 12.07.2010 at 17:11

No, sorry, this was a proper review, by a man who's opinion I value more than someone who, according to his profile, plays his intimate organ.

Forgive me for being old fashioned, but I like my music to actually express something, instead of yelling "BREAK, THIS, SHIT, UP!"

And I think you also forgot the DEFINITION of the word Review: it is used to state an OPINION of the one writing it.

The fact of the matter is, if you choose to like crap doesn't mean everyone else would go and, like you, rate a lousy Sonic Syndicate EP a 10 (and before you respond, I DID sample it before rendering it utterly generic, boring and quite frankly a disgrace to my speakers).

Sorry for being so brutal on you, I just like you am expressing my opinion.

Holding a sad attempt at humor I had some years ago of which a had long forgotten as a way of defining my credibility is pretty pointless. I agree with you on the fact that lyrics should have a meaning and that's exactly one of the reasons I like this album, if you or anyone here had done some research you would known that it is a concept album:

"It's basically about the search for truth in a world that seems to be devoid of that," . "The story is told through the eyes of a man who wakes up and realizes that his life is a lie and nothing he believes in is real. So he tries to find the truth within himself and his journey takes him to the bottom of the ocean and back again."

Like it or not it is pretty more deep than BREAK THIS SHIT UP.

That SS rating wasn't really justified since it was a big letdown for me as well, but since other people would rate it a 1 it just because they choose to hate that band, I did the opposite. My goal wasn't to get other people to like it but just handle the sub genres other people preffer with a little more respect. After all we are all( or at least I am, even if you would probably deny that) metal fans and any metal genre is still better than all that mtv crap.
----
13.07.2010 - 21:44
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by Legendary on 13.07.2010 at 19:22

Holding a sad attempt at humor I had some years ago of which a had long forgotten as a way of defining my credibility is pretty pointless. I agree with you on the fact that lyrics should have a meaning and that's exactly one of the reasons I like this album, if you or anyone here had done some research you would known that it is a concept album:

"It's basically about the search for truth in a world that seems to be devoid of that," . "The story is told through the eyes of a man who wakes up and realizes that his life is a lie and nothing he believes in is real. So he tries to find the truth within himself and his journey takes him to the bottom of the ocean and back again."

Like it or not it is pretty more deep than BREAK THIS SHIT UP.

That SS rating wasn't really justified since it was a big letdown for me as well, but since other people would rate it a 1 it just because they choose to hate that band, I did the opposite. My goal wasn't to get other people to like it but just handle the sub genres other people preffer with a little more respect. After all we are all( or at least I am, even if you would probably deny that) metal fans and any metal genre is still better than all that mtv crap.

Point granted mate. We all have our tastes and by no means was my intention to hurt you.
And yes, even though you and me see this album quite differently I decided to give it another spin while reading the lyrics this time. Very profound, however I must point that the composition itself didn't feel any more special than the first listen I gave it.

I'm not saying it's bad, I have reluctantly heard my fair share of crap (FFDP, can't understand how my brother love them...) and this is definitely not among them.

Just mediocre, great lyrics, bad composition.
25.07.2010 - 07:09
ChibiDemigod

That one is a monotony example
29.12.2010 - 10:13
jin192

Classic example of, i hate this genre, so its not music to me

morons doing reviews
29.12.2010 - 21:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Have to say I do think this is a pretty decent little album for the kind of music they play and doesn't reek of the annoyances you'd typically find.
07.02.2011 - 22:10
hadriel

It's a very 'meh' album. It's not awful, but it's not great either. It stands out from a lot of recent metalcore because the unfortunate truth is that most recent metalcore is awful. I still listen to a lot of older metalcore/hardcore and this just doesn't really stack up. The problem with recent metalcore and hardcore is that nothing new is being brought to the table, as the genre increases in popularity the value-added content of the music continues to decline towards even more uniform mediocrity that the genre is becoming known for. I would agree that some MSers are harsh on metalcore, but at least a decent percentage of the time it's fairly justified.
23.10.2011 - 22:59
brapp32

Being a big fan of these guys I had high expectations for this album and unfortunately it fell a little short. Not to say it's not a really good album but it's a bit of a drop off compared to their previous albums. I'm pretty sure they're big Bad Religion fans and I think one of the guys from Bad Religion either runs or owns Epitaph Records.
27.05.2012 - 07:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2010 at 22:19

Marcel...

Likes...

Parkway Drive...

Next thing you know the foru horsemen are going to be flying the skies.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.05.2012 - 11:59
Rating: 8
Uldreth

Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.05.2012 at 07:06

Marcel...

Likes...

Parkway Drive...

Next thing you know the foru horsemen are going to be flying the skies.

This is probably the most shocking discovery I have made of Marcel yet as well hahaha.
27.05.2012 - 16:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Uldreth on 27.05.2012 at 11:59
This is probably the most shocking discovery I have made of Marcel yet as well hahaha.

I'm still more shocked that he likes current Satyricon over classic Satyricon and deathcore Cryptopsy over brutal death Cryptopsy, but this is definitely a surprise as well. I mean... Parkway Drive.

That being said, he never said he was a fan or anything, just that this wasn't bad.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.05.2012 - 16:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.05.2012 at 16:20

Written by Uldreth on 27.05.2012 at 11:59

I'm still more shocked that he likes current Satyricon over classic Satyricon and deathcore Cryptopsy over brutal death Cryptopsy, but this is definitely a surprise as well. I mean... Parkway Drive.

That being said, he never said he was a fan or anything, just that this wasn't bad.

I'm shocked at all three now, deathcore Cryptopsy? Eugh...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.05.2012 - 18:41
Rating: 8
Uldreth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.05.2012 at 16:20

Hmm the Cryptopsy thing didn't really surprise me, I knew he disliked BDM and liked DEP and while TUK doesn't really sound like DEP at all aside from it being math/prog metal (death) core, because of that it did not came off as that huge of a surprise.

But this one really did hit me in the head when I first read it tbh, if I had to make a guess which band would have received this "honor" it would not have been Parkway Drive.

Who knows maybe Marcel has some rare, hard to find I Killed The Prom Queen discs at home in his closet!
Now it's time for Marcel to confirm or deny this!

Hits total: 11704 | This month: 5