Release date: July 2010

Batillus
01. The Division
02. Children Of The Night Make Their Music
03. Beyond The River

Hallowed Butchery
04. An Introduction
05. Coffin Life

Last year, one of the most surprising releases came from Hallowed Butchery. Sole member of the band, Mr. Fairfield, still had my address from the days he was a label owner and I was the one reviewing his releases for Metal Storm. He sent it to me with the accompanying words "I think you'll dig this". He wasn't wrong. I also predicted the next release would bring the band more media attention, but unfortunately, that prediction was wrong. Not that this is a bad release, not at all, but have you heard any talk about this band recently? Exactly.

Allow me to elaborate. The 'next release', so this one, is a split with the also unknown Batillus and not a full-length or EP, so the lack of attention isn't all that surprising. But my expectations for a possible new release haven't diminished one bit.

First off is Batillus, a droning, bludgeoning American Doom act with rockish groove-riffs and nihilistic raw shrieks. It is the guitarist that adds some outside-influences, through his dissonance-heavy post-rockish parts. Unfortunately you'll have to stay focussed, otherwise [bandBatillus[/band] has the tendency to pass by without making itself apparent. I miss a constant 'pay attention bitch im here' ballsy hardcore attitude. Too bad.

Hallowed Butchey, then. The 'band' still mixes whatever they (he) likes into one blend, luckily. Harsh sludge, quirky lead guitars, computer-manipulated post-punk howls whirling ambient and even a relaxing pop-folk part... Nothing's too crazy for Hallowed Butchery, but it somehow doesn't sound crazy at all. Once again two good songs, especially "Coffin Life", but if you really want to check the band out go for Funeral Rites For The Living Instead instead.

So in short, this split is cool, mostly because of Hallowed Butchery. Batillus and I might have gotten off on the wrong foot, I'll be sure to give them another shot if I bump into a different release by them. Now go, future Hallowed Butchery fan, go!

Written on 07.07.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 28 users
10.07.2010 - 11:21
Coffin Life is indeed a great song, although he comes across as a poor version of Lou Barlow (Sebadoh) on the acoustic bits...

This is what Ryan has to say about it:

My half of the upcoming BATILLUS split 12" record is complete. It features the 16 minute, 26 second conceptual epic "Coffin Life." The song tells the story of a man born and raised in small-town Maine: his unfulfilled dreams, his wasted years spent working, the death of his wife, his suicide, and an afterlife nothing like that of the sermons he devoted his life to.

Musically, it is an amalgamation of musical sub-genres: from filthy sludge metal, to backwoods country rock, to atmospheric doom, to folk-tinged indie rock, to ambient black metal, to progressive synth-rock. However, the reoccurring complaint from most of the critical reviews of my debut album was that it felt "disjointed" or "forced." This is not the case with this new song, which I believe seamlessly combines and mutates the aforementioned musical styles.

Hits total: 5403 | This month: 3