Metal Storm logo
Your favourite German Guitarist

Original post

Posted by ExtraHachse, 12.07.2010 - 00:42
Which one would you take if you had to deicide on the most skilled german guitarist in your opinion. If you chose Other explain who's you favourite. The guitarist can be russian or something else. You can vote for him as long as he plays in a german band(for example Victor Smolski and Mille Petrozza aren't german) or he is reallygerman.
I vote Victor Smolski because you only have to listen to him. He's amazing with Rage and solo. Then Matthias Jabs.

Poll

Who is the most skilled?

André Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
Mille Petrozza (Kreator)
Other
Uli Jon Roth (former Scorpions)
Victor Smolski (Rage/Avenger)
Rolf Kasparek (Running Wild)
Matthias Jabs (Scorpions)
Richard Kruspe (Rammstein)

Total votes: 107
12.07.2010 - 13:15
ExtraHachse

I personally thought Other or Uli Jon Roth whould make the top.
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12.07.2010 - 13:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
For those complaining about the inclusion of Mille Petrozza, it actually takes immense skill to play the intense ryhthms he does, AND sing at the same time. Believe me, it takes a lot of talent to do that!

Written by ExtraHachse on 12.07.2010 at 11:29
And i'm sorry I've never listened to Accept before.

For a couple of seconds, I was shocked to see that a German metal fan had never heard Accept before. But then I seen you were 14, and it kind of made more sense then. xD
12.07.2010 - 13:56
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.07.2010 at 13:49

For those complaining about the inclusion of Mille Petrozza, it actually takes immense skill to play the intense ryhthms he does, AND sing at the same time. Believe me, it takes a lot of talent to do that!

Exactly, i'd like to see some of those who dont think Mille should be on the list to take up a guitar and try to play 'Enemy of God', 'Reconquering the throne', 'Extreme Aggression', or 'Flag of Hate' up to speed while singing ..
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
12.07.2010 - 14:02
DayFly

Hansen does both better. And arguably even Roth (which really shows how highly I regard Petrozza's vocals). It's not like Petrozza needs a whole lot of chops to pull of what he does, from a guitarist standpoint. Besides. as a general rule, German thrash is light on virtuosos.
12.07.2010 - 14:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by DayFly on 12.07.2010 at 14:02
Hansen does both better. And arguably even Roth (which really shows how highly I regard Petrozza's vocals). It's not like Petrozza needs a whole lot of chops to pull of what he does. Besides. as a general rule, German thrash is light on virtuosos.

I am a massive Kai Hansen fan, and I dont agree with you at all. For many years, Kai struggled a lot with singing and playing at the same time. Which is the reason he stepped down as the vocalist of Helloween, and didnt take up the singing position when he originally formed Gamma Ray. He has stated that its only in recent years he has become comfortable with doing both. Also, as a guitarist myself, I would find it more difficult to sing while playing Kreator songs, than most Gamma Ray/Helloween songs. Kai is arguably a better lead player, although neither of them are what you'd call virtuosos. Kai should definitely have been on the list instead of the Rammstein guy though!
12.07.2010 - 14:18
DayFly

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.07.2010 at 14:08

I am a massive Kai Hansen fan, and I dont agree with you at all. For many years, Kai struggled a lot with singing and playing at the same time. Which is the reason he stepped down as the vocalist of Helloween, and didnt take up the singing position when he originally formed Gamma Ray. He has stated that its only in recent years he has become comfortable with doing both. Also, as a guitarist myself, I would find it more difficult to sing while playing Kreator songs, than most Gamma Ray/Helloween songs. Kai is arguably a better lead player, although neither of them are what you'd call virtuosos. Kai should definitely have been on the list instead of the Rammstein guy though!

Oh I hardly meant to say that Hansen is a virtuoso. The only two German guitarists I would classify as such are Schenker and Roth.

EDIT: Regarding Petrozza, I don't see how him singing makes a difference. The poll was about guitarists, not singer-guitarists.
12.07.2010 - 14:30
ExtraHachse

For a couple of seconds, I was shocked to see that a German metal fan had never heard Accept before. But then I seen you were 14, and it kind of made more sense then. xD

Okay, I've listened to some songs a month ago but I don't really know many songs but the songs I know are really good. I like the song the abyss.
----
12.07.2010 - 14:36
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Olbrich is the leader of the German Wolf-pack, period!
12.07.2010 - 15:13
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by ExtraHachse on 12.07.2010 at 14:30

Okay, I've listened to some songs a month ago but I don't really know many songs but the songs I know are really good. I like the song the abyss.

try 'Balls to the walls' or "Metal Heart'
----

12.07.2010 - 15:28
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Wait a sec. nobody mentioned Muhammed Suiçmez from Necrophagist ? ... WTF ?!! that guy would easily cream anyone in that list !!

----

12.07.2010 - 17:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Harry Wilkens (formerly of Destruction) comes to mind.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.07.2010 - 18:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by DayFly on 12.07.2010 at 14:18
Oh I hardly meant to say that Hansen is a virtuoso. The only two German guitarists I would classify as such are Schenker and Roth.

EDIT: Regarding Petrozza, I don't see how him singing makes a difference. The poll was about guitarists, not singer-guitarists.

It does make a difference. Any guitarist who plays metal and has tried to sing while playing along, knows that playing becomes much more difficult when you try to sing at the same time. When the music is intricate and fast, as is often the case with Kreator songs, the difficulty in playing is increased. So it does make a difference.
12.07.2010 - 18:58
Got Mayhem?

Suicmez can shred circles around the guys on the list, but he doesn't play with half the feeling that Andre or Uli do.
----
12.07.2010 - 19:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast

hahah that was the exact thing i wanted to say.

seriously, how can anyone possibly have any doubts as to who is the best German guitarist? all those guys have mad skills but objectively speaking by far the most technically skilled and creative of them is Uli Jon Roth of course. i even met him in person at a seminar but i had absolutely no idea who he was and what were his skills

also, sorry but Richard Kruspe and, as much as i love Running Wild, Rolf don't belong there. Kruspe barely plays any lead guitar and Rolf is a brilliant rhythm guitarist but on lead he isn't anything special, i think some infinitely better guitarists such as WOLF HOFFMAN or MICHAEL SCHENKER may have been more adequate to be included in the list.

for this blasphemy i sentence you to listen to Princess of the Dawn and Metal Heart by Accept, Doctor Doctor by UFO and Coast To Coast by Scorpions
12.07.2010 - 19:09
DayFly

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.07.2010 at 18:48

Written by DayFly on 12.07.2010 at 14:18

It does make a difference. Any guitarist who plays metal and has tried to sing while playing along, knows that playing becomes much more difficult when you try to sing at the same time. When the music is intricate and fast, as is often the case with Kreator songs, the difficulty in playing is increased. So it does make a difference.

Noone says Hetfield is a better guitarist than Hammet. Maybe a flawed example, considering that Hammet isn't too great, but you get my point.
12.07.2010 - 19:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by DayFly on 12.07.2010 at 19:09
Noone says Hetfield is a better guitarist than Hammet. Maybe a flawed example, considering that Hammet isn't too great, but you get my point.

Actually, I have heard some people saying James is better than Kirk. lol Which I dont agree with. I think Kirk is overrated by the masses, and underrated by ''underground/tr00'' metalheads. He is neither a crap guitarist, nor one of the best of all time. I think James is a really good guitarist. Awesome rhythm player, and underrated as a lead player too. He should definitely have played more solos in Metallica.

As for Uli Roth, he is a virtuoso, definitely a great player. xD

@Valentin B: Yep, he should listen to "Princess Of The Dawn" and "Fast As A Shark" right now!
12.07.2010 - 19:40
ExtraHachse

I don't mind if anyone would make another poll with the same topic. There you can make a better list than mine. Yes, there are really some people missing but the list can only have 9 options so I couldn't put everyone in but yes Kruspe is not a guitar legend but i was interested who vould vote for him.

What's the problem. I know Accept for a long time but never really wanted to listen to them. I'm not that big Power Metal Head. There are some power Metal bands i like but this is it.
----
12.07.2010 - 22:38
Farbsryche

I voted 'other', the other being Roland Grapow of Masterplan, former Helloween maestro!
13.07.2010 - 19:23
Tornado Of Souls

My favourite German guitarist is Kai Hansen, solid guitarist and good song writer.
13.07.2010 - 20:16
Winterthrone

Written by ExtraHachse on 12.07.2010 at 08:15

Written by Winterthrone on 12.07.2010 at 02:45

You Forgot imporatnt guitarists man, and I don't want to vote for "Other" cause I think it sucks!
Kai Hansen
Rock n' Wolf
Mikael Weikath
Roland Grapow
Sascha Gernstner

Mille Petrozza....I want to concude that case. If you're born in a country,you grew up in that country and you live in this country, you're from that country. Basing your criteria on blood ancestry is quite ...well...Shocking to me.

And yeah he is an awesome rythm guitarist.

First I thought Mille would come from Italia. but my mistake. And I cannot put every skilled guitarist in this list. That's impossible. I think Germany has so many great muisican if you make a list and put them all in the list it would be countless times bigger than mine. Rock n' Wolf? I only know Rock n' Rolf or Rolf Kasparek who is already in this list.

I meant Rock n' Rolf it's a typing mistake and yeah I didn't see yu had it already but my point was you favored some middle of the road guitarists and forgot about some really important ones like the Helloween guitarists.
14.07.2010 - 22:47
VinciShredder

But Rammstein kicks a** too! Actually, i prefer Helloween, Rammstein, and Necrophagist, but, oh well. My opinion loses it's Thunderous Echo over the fool's ears... I actually like writing, so, if anyone wants to hear more random lyrics, pm me.
----
When in despair on what to play on your guitar next, just shred the hell out of that bitch.
15.07.2010 - 01:46
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by VinciShredder on 14.07.2010 at 22:47

But Rammstein kicks a** too! Actually, i prefer Helloween, Rammstein, and Necrophagist, but, oh well. My opinion loses it's Thunderous Echo over the fool's ears... I actually like writing, so, if anyone wants to hear more random lyrics, pm me.

you can say 'ass' if you want.. i doubt that your parents would ever check out Metalstorm.net and catch you using curse words.
----

15.07.2010 - 04:50
ToMegaTherion

Andre Olbrich is an amazing guitarist, and there are many great germans out there. I was thinking of Lanvall (Edenbridge), but Im pretty sure he's Austrian.
16.07.2010 - 18:06
RafaRata

Victor kicks the ass of everyone in this list.
16.07.2010 - 18:11
BattleHamster

Andre Olbrich. Well, either him or Kai Hansen, but he's not on the list.
17.07.2010 - 18:58
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Matthias Jabs i'm a big Scorpions fan
26.07.2010 - 17:59
snipo101

Written by RafaRata on 16.07.2010 at 18:06

Victor kicks the ass of everyone in this list.

Easily.
26.07.2010 - 18:58
ForeverDarkWoods

It would have to be Kai Hansen for me, for his work on the early Helloween albums.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
07.08.2010 - 01:42
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
I love André Olbrich playing but I have lots of love for Stefan Lill [Vanden Plas]. He has incredible feel and his sound is very unique.
07.08.2010 - 03:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although he isnt my absolute fave, I have to mention Frank "Blackfire" Godzik. He singlehandedly transformed Sodom from a 3rd/4th tier run of the mill, horrible sounding band, into the the thrash legends that they are today. He only stayed in that band for 2 albums, but that was long enough to set them on the path to greatness. Tom Angelripper has much to thank Mr. Blackfire for.

He also kicked ass with Kreator, especially on "Coma Of Souls". xD