07. Room Full Of Eyes
08. Chinese Whispers
09. I Wouldn't If You Didn't
10. Parasitic Twins
11. Heat Deaf Melted Grill [limited edition bonus]
12. Chuck McChip [Japanese bonus]
13. Farewell, Mona Lisa [demo] [iTunes bonus]
14. Endless Endings [demo] [Amazon bonus]

Certainly this is a good album, I mean, the band surely is doing something right as even Mike Patton praises their music and albums. Too bad for me, I just can't find their magic beans anywhere; it is a good album though, and the band unquestionably knows how to write complex music and happy riffs, but well?here's the deal:

They surely hooked me with Miss Machine back in 2004, Ire Works then was released (a couple of years later) and the first thing I thought was "Oh Crap?I must have mixed my jewel cases, because this sounds exactly like Miss Machine", sadly I was mistaken. Turns out The Dillinger Escape Plan for some isolated reason decided to release the same album again, with mild changes that is; and now, 6 years later, they did it again.

Browsing Metacritic you will find an average 8.5 (or so) next to Option Paralysis, not to mention it is also listed on their "Best albums from 2010 so far" section, with some critics even admiring the graciousness and politeness of this album; they seem to enjoy the fact that The Dillinger Escape Plan goes from extremely frantic to numbingly slow just for the sake of it. I say fuck that! It's not that I don't like versatile music, not at all, but Dysrhythmia is doing the exact same thing, not to mention there's also Unexpect, Psyopus, Behold? The Arctopus, Ephel Duath and countless other bands that do (and did) what The Dillinger Escape Plan does right now, only better.

Option Paralysis is enjoyable, but it's not an album worth praising. It's just like Nintendo and Mario Kart, you played that game in the SNES console and it was as good as the day is long?but then, after 17 years of playing the same game over and over again (in different consoles), we all say "ok cool, yeah?but what else is new?". Cephalic Carnage will release a new album quite soon, Misled by Certainty, I say wait for that piece to come out if you want your metal to be convulsive, speedy and spastic, I guarantee that album will beat senseless this Option Paralysis thing.

Sure, The Dillinger Escape Plan has great reviews right now, but most of those reviews come from sites that are also praising Laura Marling and Gorillaz, so go figure.

Written by Herzebeth | 12.07.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 141 users
12.07.2010 - 08:45
Rating: 9
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
No wait a sec. ,, before talking about the review ,, HERZEBTH IS BACKKKKKKKKKK ,, .. hell yahhhhh ,,

and i agree to some extent with the review ,, except i enjoy DEP music more i guess , and consider this album an AMAZING one and one of top album of this year so far
12.07.2010 - 08:54
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
HOLY SHIT, HERZEBETH'S BACK!
12.07.2010 - 10:17
oroboros
Guys..is this for real??
12.07.2010 - 17:17
Herzebeth
Hey!

I just wanted you guys to have another vision of this album besides all the pitchfork's and metacritic's out there, I mean, at least a more metal driven vision.
----
12.07.2010 - 20:04
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Herzebeth on 12.07.2010 at 17:17

Hey!

I just wanted you guys to have another vision of this album besides all the pitchfork's and metacritic's out there, I mean, at least a more metal driven vision.

Yeah, Pitchfork blows ass.
12.07.2010 - 23:41
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Hey, Gorillaz deserve some praising. But Im glad to see another of your reviews here dude. o/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.07.2010 - 07:43
Rating: 10
Sellathurai
I'm glad you're back man, I miss reading your reviews.
I totally get this review man, but like the evolution of Mario Kart from the SNES now Mario Kart on the Wii is so much better.
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
13.07.2010 - 08:33
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Dillinger seems to get worse with every album :/
28.07.2010 - 10:00
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Herzebeth on 12.07.2010 at 17:17

Hey!

Well, actually I got the point, it's not a surprise, when a band achieves the formula to attract good ratings, they can fall in that vicious circle of repeating themselves again and again but without adding something new or just losing the quality of their music. Many band names come to my mind but I think this vision can change depending each one's preferences.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
09.10.2010 - 11:51
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Dangerboner on 13.07.2010 at 08:33

Dillinger seems to get worse with every album :/

Agreed

Hits total: 5008 | This month: 12