Metal Storm logo
Ayreon

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 18:39
The huge famous project of Arjan Lucassen.

Also the mastermind of Stream Of Passion and Star One and Ambeon and a lot other bands.
But IMO his best thing he does it Ayreon.

I guess it doesn't need more introduction.

Personally his best albums are: The Human Equation and Into The Electric Castle because they're both very well balanced.

Go on please...
03.02.2008 - 01:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I have been listening to the latest Ayreon discs a lot this past week since it came out. It has some real gems on it, but there a couple of songs I simply cringe when I hear. "Connect The Dots" is simply terrible to me, and will likely be eliminated when I burn some copies for CDs in the car It just ruins the flow of the whole first disc!

But! As has been stated a few posts back, the tracks with Anneke and Jonas are amazing - their writing input on the albums is an addition that I think will satisfy me enough to make the latest CDs a regular listen. "Age of Shadows / We Are Forever" is a truly grand song. I also enjoy "Liquid Eternity" and "E=MC2" very much - Magali Luyten is one of my favorite female voices, as it seems her voice gets me with anything she sings Marjan Welman is quite an enjoyable voice too!

The only complaint is that I think the pace of the album and the repetition of the lyrics gets to be a bit much... I prefer a much quicker development of lyrical ideas when it comes to songs. I know the concept is quite interesting, but I think less lyrics could be repeated. But that's a minor complaint. Save for the few tracks I dislike, it's an enjoyable album for when I'm in a relaxed or pensive mood. It's not godly, but a very good listen with some killer tracks
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.02.2008 - 01:17
Duy Hung
Account deleted
@ dismaleuphony : I'm wondering if Anneke and Jonas have thought of doing a project together
03.02.2008 - 01:27
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 03.02.2008 at 01:17

@ dismaleuphony : I'm wondering if Anneke and Jonas have thought of doing a project together

Well if they haven't, they should! Their voices are a perfect complement for each other!! It would be a greatly anticipated project, for sure Now, how can we get the word to them...??
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.02.2008 - 01:31
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 03.02.2008 at 01:27

Well if they haven't, they should! Their voices are a perfect complement for each other!! It would be a greatly anticipated project, for sure Now, how can we get the word to them...??

LOL send them an e-mail , maybe
04.02.2008 - 03:45
Bitch Boy

I loved the new album. I is definitely the album of the year
04.02.2008 - 23:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've decided to get all the studio albums in a short matter of time, so far I've only listened to some songs my friend sent to me. Started with the first album, it should come this week.
----
09.03.2008 - 21:42
Evil Chip

I have listened to the Human Equation and 01011001 both are one of my favourite albums right now. Arjen is an amazing composer and his lyrics and concept albums are the best i have heard along with The Wall of Pink Floyd. 01011001 its definetely the album of the year. .
10.03.2008 - 01:42
Ragana
Rawrcat
Actually Ayreon is quite good. Some months ago my friend send me their album "The Human Equation" and well, I was impressed.
10.03.2008 - 04:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Jason W. on 03.02.2008 at 01:05
"Connect The Dots" is simply terrible to me,

That is actually my favorite song the entire album. I felt it was, lyricaly the most emotionally impactful song. Maybe part of it is the fact that Ty is the vocalist on it. This is the one song I keep playing over and over from the album.
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2008 - 04:14
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Dane Train on 10.03.2008 at 04:11

That is actually my favorite song the entire album. I felt it was, lyricaly the most emotionally impactful song. Maybe part of it is the fact that Ty is the vocalist on it. This is the one song I keep playing over and over from the album.

Well, I do understand the purpose in terms of the concept of the album, but it will never make me enjoy that line "Finger Lickin' Good", -- which is, even worse, echoed! It makes me yearn for some good pop music from the 1980s (lol) just to overcome how much I shudder when I hear it. But, my friend really loves that song too, and tried his best to explain to me why it's good. But! I just can't stand it!
----
11.03.2008 - 21:15
Hellish Star

The new album is good but once again (as the previous album) I don't keep on listening to it....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
11.03.2008 - 23:45
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Jason W. on 10.03.2008 at 04:14

Written by Dane Train on 10.03.2008 at 04:11

Well, I do understand the purpose in terms of the concept of the album, but it will never make me enjoy that line "Finger Lickin' Good", -- which is, even worse, echoed! It makes me yearn for some good pop music from the 1980s (lol) just to overcome how much I shudder when I hear it. But, my friend really loves that song too, and tried his best to explain to me why it's good. But! I just can't stand it!

it's not my favourite song, but it's among my top songs as well
the lyrics are absolutely brilliant and the vocalist is awesome as well

it's not a very technical song, but it's just a good chilled song, and it helps the flow of the album too in my opinion because what i like about ayreon is that it doesnt sound the same the whole time, it's kind of a change to the whole "tense" "metal" atmosphere of the album if you know what i mean
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
12.03.2008 - 08:54
silvia
Account deleted
I defenitly like this new album, also nice to see the cd release. I was not familiar with Arjen Lucassen.
But when I saw that Tom and Daniel appeared on this album, I was already impressed.
atill is the critic: do I like this album because of the voices only. Because the songs are not that earthshaking.
10.07.2008 - 11:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i just saw the album illustrations for The Human Equation, which is rapidly becoming one of my top favorite albums. this guy Arjen, is a GENIUS.

the drawing made for Day 17 is so awesome!!
22.10.2008 - 08:14
RockeRoy

Written by RockeRoy on 29.01.2008 at 01:07

Just finished listen to The Human Equation, and i think it is realy cool, but i have a feeling that it is not an album i would listen to that much in the future

I was wrong the album just got better and better, and i love into the electric castle and 01011001 to
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
22.10.2008 - 10:20
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by RockeRoy on 22.10.2008 at 08:14

Just finished listen to The Human Equation, and i think it is realy cool, but i have a feeling that it is not an album i would listen to that much in the future

I was wrong the album just got better and better, and i love into the electric castle and 01011001 to

for me personally i like into the electric castle least, it's just a bit too electronical, lol
but have you also tried the two Universal Migrator albums or his debut, The Final Experiment? i have yet to listen to the whole Actual Fantasy album but i think i'll do so tonight

and of course when you're done with that you can set your sights on Star One and Ambeon, two other amazing albums by Arhen Anthony Lucassen
if you like there's also Stream Of Passion, but in my opinion that album's immensely overrated...
----
23.10.2008 - 16:21
RockeRoy

Written by Bas on 22.10.2008 at 10:20

Written by RockeRoy on 22.10.2008 at 08:14

for me personally i like into the electric castle least, it's just a bit too electronical, lol
but have you also tried the two Universal Migrator albums or his debut, The Final Experiment? i have yet to listen to the whole Actual Fantasy album but i think i'll do so tonight

and of course when you're done with that you can set your sights on Star One and Ambeon, two other amazing albums by Arhen Anthony Lucassen
if you like there's also Stream Of Passion, but in my opinion that album's immensely overrated...

Thanx for the recomandations i will be sure to check out star one ambeon,
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
24.10.2008 - 12:01
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Jason W. on 03.02.2008 at 01:27

It's true indeed...they sounded similar to Beseech...Katatonia should hire Anneke for some project and it'd be a grand gothic/doom album, I'm sure of it....
26.10.2008 - 00:57
gocasaca

Don't listen them, but think it's realy good.
Only one I do absolutely adore is "Isis and Osiris".
10.12.2008 - 16:52
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Best band out there in this prog style

arjen is just great
----
Stay Metal !!!
27.12.2008 - 15:48
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Into the Black Hole is the only song I heard from Ayreon and it sounds like progressive Iron Maiden... Arjen's voice sounds so absolutely exactly like Dickinson's, I was convinced Ayreon was some side project from Maiden's vocalist.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
27.12.2008 - 16:41
VPeter

The hype in The Netherlands around "01011001" was massive - for a metal album at least. you could easily get the limited edition in the normal pop record stores and there were posters everywhere of it. What baffles me the most is how Arjen has all those talented musicians at his disposal and still manages to make everything sound boring and emotionless.
31.12.2008 - 09:55
PPKNexus
Account deleted
"010111001" Definetly had some very uniqe sounds in it. As far as music projects go, Ayreon has to be the best out there right now . Amazing line up. Definetly better as a whole than the last Avantasia.
07.01.2009 - 10:51
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by MétalNoir on 27.12.2008 at 15:48

Arjen's voice sounds so absolutely exactly like Dickinson's,

Ayreon is a project by Arjen Anthony Lucassen in which he uses a shitload of guestsingers and other guestmusicians, Bruce Dickinson is one of the guestsingers on that album (Universal Migrator II) and sings that song
----
08.01.2009 - 19:27
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Bas on 07.01.2009 at 10:51

Written by MétalNoir on 27.12.2008 at 15:48

Arjen's voice sounds so absolutely exactly like Dickinson's,

Ayreon is a project by Arjen Anthony Lucassen in which he uses a shitload of guestsingers and other guestmusicians, Bruce Dickinson is one of the guestsingers on that album (Universal Migrator II) and sings that song

Aaaah ok thanks
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
21.01.2009 - 18:28
MeloDeathViking

I keep hearing a lot about Ayreon, and I'm undecided about whether or not to get one of their albums. Can someone please help me, what is their style? Please just don't say they are progressive as that can mean any number of things and doesn't really give me an idea of the sound of an album. Are there a lot of heavy songs, is it just all very light, is there any agression, is it all clean vocals; stuff like that would be very helpful for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
21.01.2009 - 18:32
baldur

Written by MeloDeathViking on 21.01.2009 at 18:28

I keep hearing a lot about Ayreon, and I'm undecided about whether or not to get one of their albums. Can someone please help me, what is their style? Please just don't say they are progressive as that can mean any number of things and doesn't really give me an idea of the sound of an album. Are there a lot of heavy songs, is it just all very light, is there any agression, is it all clean vocals; stuff like that would be very helpful for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

why dont you just take a listen at ayreons myspace? or youtube...
21.01.2009 - 18:51
MeloDeathViking

Written by baldur on 21.01.2009 at 18:32

why dont you just take a listen at ayreons myspace? or youtube...

Because neither of theose sites currently work on my computer, couldn't tell you why, the songs/videos just never buffer all the way. Otherwise that'd be a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion though.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
21.01.2009 - 19:15
Hrothdane

Most Ayreon songs aren't that heavy and aren't really aggressive at all (with maybe a couple exceptions). Arjen has a lot of influence from non-metal genres, such as electronica and folk music. There is a screaming vocalist on Into the Electric Castle and The Human Equation has 2 (Devin Townsend and Mikael Akerfeldt), but otherwise all the vocalists sing clean.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
21.01.2009 - 21:33
Bas
Retired Staff

throughout the discography there are a few agressive songs but they're pretty rare, there are some heavy songs (heavy in terms of atmosphere, not heavy as in brutal) and a few very light "fun" songs which are still very good of course and a lot of songs inbetween. apart from progressive it's not really possible to name a style because he uses minor stuff from tons of different styles, many of them outside of metal. a recurring thing that i can say is that a lot of his stuff sounds remotely "spacey" in a way, how much it does so varies between each album

each album is vastly different.

my recommendation however is to start with the latest one, it's called 01011001
it's probably his most pure metal release (although there are still non-metal elements present including two songs which aren't metal whatsoever. it's not his most diverse output (for that you should grab The Human Equation, my second to favourite Ayreon album) but it still has quite some diversity. also it has a really great set of guest singers featuring the singers of Blind Guardian, Evergrey, Katatonia, Epica, Gotthard and many more.

if you like viking and melo death i dont know if Ayreon is for you though
----